Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009 | 11:18 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Still lurking

Wow, where has the time gone, it is nearly the 4th of July! I have not even been lurking for a while. We finally got our city budget passed by Council and it was fully loaded today so departments could once again spend. This is more than I can say for the State of California. I am ashamed to say that I reside in California. The land of "fruits and nuts" as one radio DJ calls us and he does not mean the edible kind. I'm convinced that when we have forrest fires the smoke from the fires burning the hidden, illegal POT is most certainly having an impact on Sacramento!

In addition to the budget, we have had auditors for the past three weeks doing their preliminary work for the fiscal year end close. I also treated myself to the new iPhone 3G S and have been hooked on the Apps Store on iTunes for the last week. It is all the fault of MINI USA that I purchased the new phone. They sent me an email about the MINI Cooper game in the Apps Store and of course I could not play it unless I had an iPhone. It really is a cute game and certainly a must for owners of MINIs and the iPhone. Yeah they say the app is free (MINI Liquid Assets), not if you have to buy a phone in order to play it ha, ha.

We have also been doing tile work in the backyard so computer time has been at a minimum. We have been trying to decide what to do with an adobe planter that had seen better days, and so we decide to shore it up with concrete. We then decided to add a cap that would turn it in to a sitting wall and then needed to determine what to do about the concrete. Paint it, stucco it or tile it. We decided to tile it. My sister and I visited Catalina Island a few years ago and fell in love with the Catalina tile. This was a hand made tile that was a big export of the Island 70 or 80 years ago. It is really expensive to tile the entire wall in the tile so we decide to go with a few select pieces. That project took up several weekends. We still need to grout the tile but not when it is 108 degrees! We will wait until later in the cooler summer.

Oh my look at the time. I better dash; two more days of work. We do not get any time off for the 4th as it falls on Saturday. Bummer. Oh but Sunday is my anniversary. MINI and I have been together for a year on July 5th. I love her more each day. She will get an extra special bath this weekend and a special antenna ball!

Oh and look what else I found for our MINIs. MINI money!

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-wall.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-bank-note.jpg  
Old 07-01-2009 | 11:49 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I love it when Kiki shows up! She's so finacially technical. I feel smarter when she gives her info dump.

Hal, IS Columbus in Franklin/Delaware county? I'll have to check - I've never lived there, so I'm a little clueless.

This is not going well. Tonight was just a kind of get together/mom's birthday dinner at brothers house. I'm getting some seriously mucho bad vibes from her side, her, and the whole shebang. Where did we lose our basic, rudimentary courtesy??? While I feel bad for my brother, this is the path and method of living he's chosen. It just doesn't help with my mother constantly going off on him like gangbusters-like tonight? We barely got in the door at 1:30am (its a 2hr drive) when she was on the phone to him about how bad everything was. (Again, I'd like to insert eye roll smiley here, but...) I am personally pissed off at certain things but I REALLY AM trying not to ruin his wedding. I just know I'm going to be hard pressed not to choke the living *#+@ out of someone.

Send good vibes, Freebs...send good vibes!!!

Old 07-02-2009 | 05:52 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Oh UH OH... what a bummer. Give Brad a hug from me, from all of us crazy MINI peeps... Tell your mom that if she doesn't behave, you're going to strap her in MINTS and drive like a bat outta hell around very twisty corners for 3 hours (and if that doesn't work, put her undies in the freezer). (Dragon joke folks, I'm not being disgusting).

Keep the faith- if you want to talk, give me a call. I think you have my cell number. It's raining (again) here in Maine, so we're just sitting in front of the "fake" wood stove enjoying the pitter patter of raindrops on the shake roof.

Hugs-

Old 07-02-2009 | 12:05 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
Oh but Sunday is my anniversary. MINI and I have been together for a year on July 5th. I love her more each day. She will get an extra special bath this weekend and a special antenna ball!
Your backyard looks great!!

Congrats on the MINI anniversary. I'll been with my classic for 2 years on Saturday and 1 year with my boyfriend.

Old 07-02-2009 | 01:40 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Oh UH OH... what a bummer. Give Brad a hug from me, from all of us crazy MINI peeps... Tell your mom that if she doesn't behave, you're going to strap her in MINTS and drive like a bat outta hell around very twisty corners for 3 hours (and if that doesn't work, put her undies in the freezer). (Dragon joke folks, I'm not being disgusting).

Keep the faith- if you want to talk, give me a call. I think you have my cell number. It's raining (again) here in Maine, so we're just sitting in front of the "fake" wood stove enjoying the pitter patter of raindrops on the shake roof.

Hugs-
Strap her in... take her on Blimey's Tour of TERROR ... THEN put her undies in the freezer!

Oh... and maybe take some Duct Tape with you just in case.

Old 07-02-2009 | 01:45 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Wow, where has the time gone, it is nearly the 4th of July! I have not even been lurking for a while. We finally got our city budget passed by Council and it was fully loaded today so departments could once again spend. This is more than I can say for the State of California. I am ashamed to say that I reside in California. The land of "fruits and nuts" as one radio DJ calls us and he does not mean the edible kind. I'm convinced that when we have forrest fires the smoke from the fires burning the hidden, illegal POT is most certainly having an impact on Sacramento!

In addition to the budget, we have had auditors for the past three weeks doing their preliminary work for the fiscal year end close. I also treated myself to the new iPhone 3G S and have been hooked on the Apps Store on iTunes for the last week. It is all the fault of MINI USA that I purchased the new phone. They sent me an email about the MINI Cooper game in the Apps Store and of course I could not play it unless I had an iPhone. It really is a cute game and certainly a must for owners of MINIs and the iPhone. Yeah they say the app is free (MINI Liquid Assets), not if you have to buy a phone in order to play it ha, ha.

We have also been doing tile work in the backyard so computer time has been at a minimum. We have been trying to decide what to do with an adobe planter that had seen better days, and so we decide to shore it up with concrete. We then decided to add a cap that would turn it in to a sitting wall and then needed to determine what to do about the concrete. Paint it, stucco it or tile it. We decided to tile it. My sister and I visited Catalina Island a few years ago and fell in love with the Catalina tile. This was a hand made tile that was a big export of the Island 70 or 80 years ago. It is really expensive to tile the entire wall in the tile so we decide to go with a few select pieces. That project took up several weekends. We still need to grout the tile but not when it is 108 degrees! We will wait until later in the cooler summer.

Oh my look at the time. I better dash; two more days of work. We do not get any time off for the 4th as it falls on Saturday. Bummer. Oh but Sunday is my anniversary. MINI and I have been together for a year on July 5th. I love her more each day. She will get an extra special bath this weekend and a special antenna ball!

Oh and look what else I found for our MINIs. MINI money!
What kind of vine do you have growing overhead? Nice patio area.

Old 07-02-2009 | 03:01 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
....Hal, IS Columbus in Franklin/Delaware county? I'll have to check - I've never lived there, so I'm a little clueless...
Yes, Columbus is in Franklin Co.

Powell, where I believe you said your brother lives, is in Delaware Co., about halfway between the two cities of Columbus and Delaware.

I hope things turn out better over the next few days. And tell Brad congratulations for me.

Old 07-02-2009 | 06:06 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Awww, UhOh--- so sorry that you are having a disturbing experience.
Family can be extremely trying at times,,,,, EXTREMELY TRYING!!

Hang in there,,, and I am a teensy,, itty,, bitty bit jealous of you being in Ohio....... sigh...

Old 07-02-2009 | 06:08 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Kiki!! Sweety!! Your backyard/tilework is awesome!!

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Old 07-02-2009 | 08:33 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
What kind of vine do you have growing overhead? Nice patio area.

The vine on the back fence is wisteria (just like the lane, ha ha) and the vine overhead is honeysuckle. The poor arbor use to be painted white and I have decide to strip the paint and then whitewash it as the paint simply will not stick to stained wood. It was once stained pale green (before I bought the house) but I decided that I wanted it white. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have attached a picture of the little wall that we tiled and what it looked like before we made the major redo. It was about to fall down. I have also attached a picture of the wisteria in the early spring. The entire back fence is totally lavender in color in the spring and smells so good. The leaves come later yet it still provides some color throughout the summer, but nothing like spring.

Thank you all for my anniversary wishes. MINIxB, I love the order in which you put your Classic and your boyfriend with respect to anniversaries, works for me!

Happy 4th everyone and stay safe.

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-backyard-arbor.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-045.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009 | 06:47 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Your backyard looks awesome!!

Old 07-03-2009 | 08:09 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Ooohh, Kiki,,, I think this would be the perfect haven for getting an outdoor massage. It is simply, perfectly -----welll-------- Perfect!!!

Old 07-03-2009 | 08:56 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Beautiful garden Kiki... I love wisteria ~ and there's a beautiful song about wisteria done by Richard Shindell, one of my most favoritist singer/songwriters.

Cab, you offering massages in Kiki's haven??? I'm so there!

Ola.. you're too much. Yes, UhOh should take her mom on Blimey's Tour of Terror while simultaneously wearing her frozen undies! That would fix her!

(insert evil laugh here)

Sun finally came out today. UNBELIEVEABLE! high of 68... perfect in my book. Fog came back in while we were eating dinner... lobster stew and lobster salad (yes, I picked 6 lobsters clean to make all this, damn there is so much heavy cream in Lobster stew I'm going into cardiac arrest!)

Night y'all!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!

Old 07-03-2009 | 09:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Kiki absolutely MARVELOUS Darling...MARVELOUS!! Looks like the ULTIMATE place to relax with a Good Drink (what's your pleasure??) and a Good Book!!

Old 07-03-2009 | 10:20 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Thank you all for the kind words. I do love my garden and I find working in it quite relaxing. My grandmother was an avid gardener and I think working with her when I was little instilled the passion in me. My grandfather (on the other side) was also quite the gardener so I suppose it must be in the blood. He was big on roses and I had always heard that they were difficult to do. After we moved into the house over 20 years ago, I soooo ripped out some massive junipers and decided to try my hand at roses. They pretty much take care of themselves. I have always joked that one day when my house and garden are at perfection, I can die a happy woman. The way I am going, I will live forever! I never seem to have both looking good at the same time.

I must say, even when messy, as I walk through the house or in the garden I experience the same calm and feeling of peace and happiness as when I am with MINI.

Speaking of MINI, we were on an errand tonight and this big blue mercedes in front of me suddenly decided to make a left turn. They nearly turned in front of a car coming toward them so they slammed on the breaks. MINI and I had to respond in a split second. She barely squealed and I have to say I experienced the smoothest breaking ever. She stopped on a dime and seemed totally unruffled. I on the other hand nearly inhaled the cover from off the dash! After the mercedes turned and we once again began moving, I found myself patting her steering wheel and saying out loud "GOOD GIRL"! If I did not know better I think she was saying a few choice words in German that cannot be repeated here.

TNMinMama, I will trade you a 108 for a 68. It was 108 here on Sunday and it has been in the low 100's ever since. That is typical for us in July but the 108 was record for June. It is currently 89 at 10:00 pm with a nice breeze. I'll take it! As for the massages, we may have to wait for cooler weather. That is unless you want to combine a sauna and a massage? Well better sign off. MINI is tucked in and I need to turn in as well.

Happy 4th of July.

Old 07-05-2009 | 08:55 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
KIKIl, love your garden, oh I so wish I could grow something other then weeds!
Oh and happy anniversary. My Nug's birthday was on Tuesday!
X- hang in there, and remember while in Ohio and if you need to run away for a couple days, I'm only 5 or 6 hours away and you have a place to stay!!!
but yes duct tape is our friend!
TN- if you keep talking about lobsters, you had better bring some to Philly when we meet! just joking - lobster away and enjoy!

Hey Cab, miss you girl... you are too busy and we are too close we need to motor and meet somewhere!!! going to Sonics on Tuesday with the group- can you make it?

HAPPY AND SAFE 4TH WEEKEND TO ALL! for those in PA, loving this weather!

Old 07-05-2009 | 01:17 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
KIKIl, love your garden, oh I so wish I could grow something other then weeds!
Oh and happy anniversary. My Nug's birthday was on Tuesday!
X- hang in there, and remember while in Ohio and if you need to run away for a couple days, I'm only 5 or 6 hours away and you have a place to stay!!!
but yes duct tape is our friend!
TN- if you keep talking about lobsters, you had better bring some to Philly when we meet! just joking - lobster away and enjoy!

Hey Cab, miss you girl... you are too busy and we are too close we need to motor and meet somewhere!!! going to Sonics on Tuesday with the group- can you make it?

HAPPY AND SAFE 4TH WEEKEND TO ALL! for those in PA, loving this weather!

Gem, I miss you also!! I looked on Phillymini and are you referring to the Limerick one?? I think we can actually swing that one!! I posted a question on that forum but will ask you here also--- what time do you all meet?
I have to reschedule a client to do this so the only way I couldn't is if she is really having problems physically and can't make it any other time in the week...
Keeping fingers crossed,,,,

Old 07-05-2009 | 07:44 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Gem, I miss you also!! I looked on Phillymini and are you referring to the Limerick one?? I think we can actually swing that one!! I posted a question on that forum but will ask you here also--- what time do you all meet?
I have to reschedule a client to do this so the only way I couldn't is if she is really having problems physically and can't make it any other time in the week...
Keeping fingers crossed,,,,
Hey Cab, oh try really hard to make it, that would be awesome. Yes the Limerick one and this is the first time I'm going. I just saw this is at 7:00pm.
also if you can make the August Meet, that was my first one ever last year, it was the best rally every about 30+ cars and a great day, lunch, prizes and a chance to meet others. Hope to see you tuesday.

Old 07-06-2009 | 10:53 AM
miniola
6th Gear
The vine on the back fence is wisteria (just like the lane, ha ha) and the vine overhead is honeysuckle. The poor arbor use to be painted white and I have decide to strip the paint and then whitewash it as the paint simply will not stick to stained wood. It was once stained pale green (before I bought the house) but I decided that I wanted it white. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have attached a picture of the little wall that we tiled and what it looked like before we made the major redo. It was about to fall down. I have also attached a picture of the wisteria in the early spring. The entire back fence is totally lavender in color in the spring and smells so good. The leaves come later yet it still provides some color throughout the summer, but nothing like spring.

Thank you all for my anniversary wishes. MINIxB, I love the order in which you put your Classic and your boyfriend with respect to anniversaries, works for me!

Happy 4th everyone and stay safe.
Very nice. I have a Wisteria vine at my house (bought a sprig from eBay)... but I've never seen flowers on it. Funny.

Old 07-06-2009 | 07:03 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
It depends on the wisteria that you purchased. There is Chinese and there is Japanese one. One blooms alot and one hardly every blooms. I cannot remember which one is which. I had purchased two vines and placed one at each end of the fence and was planning to let them inter-twine. One bloomed like the picture and the other grew but never bloomed. I tore it out and started over. You can probably check the internet to which one does what. I will check the garden tonight to see if either one of them still has their tag and let you know.

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:26 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
There is one wisteria that waits for 7 years before it blooms, then *should* bloom fairly consistently after that. I think people have tried to "fake" out the 7 yr wisteria by buying 2 yr old plants, but I don't think that really works.. Just a picky bugger.
I have a friend that grew a wisteria into a tree and it's INCREDIBLE!

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:33 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia Freebs!

I'm back home (and *sigh* at work) finally. Everybody survived, and the brother is now officially married - he has "PAPERs." I got lotsa compliments on my dress...which is rather funny, because it was one of MY bridesmaids' dresses! (But hey, I liked it!)

Anywhooo.... i'm still working off my headache from the weekend. Hopefully my new squishy feather pillow will help - if I ever get this day OVER with already!

Look what I did? I can seriously pack this baby! But these were good price deals I couldn't pass up.... Two rolling duffle bags, one large garment bag, one smaller duffle (for the car) bag, one box of breakables, a mirror, two king sized feather pillows, a large tote, misc. other things...oh yeah, and a huge bean bag pillow.

Old 07-07-2009 | 11:54 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Holy crap!! That's a lot of stuff

Old 07-07-2009 | 07:03 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Dam you sure can pack! But hey what girl can't!!! Any shoes in there?
Really glad your home and survived! but kind of disappointed you didn't take me up on the "escape route" offer!!!
Guess what we did tonight, we had a mini MINI Ralley to the local Sonics and Cab and Hubby and Me and hubby had dinner together! She is so dam cute, I just love her and her hubby. He even got "atta boy points" for washing her Sloopy!!!

Old 07-07-2009 | 07:12 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Awwww..... Gem, you are pretty cute yourself!!
It was a really fun night. Sorry you couldn't follow us to the second destination,,,I got to talk to a few more "mini folk" and learned about some more aspects of the Philly mini group.

We should have snapped another picture of ourselves,,,sigh,,, just couldn't think fast enough tonight.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...