Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 10:00 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
MINIxB- (wondering... should we call you MiniMINI now?)
You can still call me MinixB. I still have one xB but it's the fiance's.

Old 08-17-2009 | 01:41 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
Well freebies, I have to say good night and get to bed. STARTING MY NEW JOB TOMORROW AND REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT.
Best of luck in your new job gemgirlpa and birthday greetings to your Dad.

Old 08-17-2009 | 06:09 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OHKAY, I'm not sure what's going on, but I didn't get ANY email notifications about how busy ya'll have been on this thread!!!

MINIxB - I can smell the "new car smell" from here!! Good job, I love the blue and white combo. And Artemis is still a boy's name too. WHen I first saw it here, I thought of one of the three Musketeers...but his name is ARAMIS, not Artemis. Same difference.

'Ola, do NOT smother Mr. Smokey. I am NOT driving 14 hours or more just to visit you every month in jail, babe. I make my hubband roll over constantly when he goes into sawing logs mode. I've even offered to put him on a large rotisserie, but he didn't think that was quite so funny.

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:06 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Oh gosh! Did I not post the puppy pics!?

Well hang on a sec... *pauses briefly to upload the latest Mugen pics to flickr*

Oh and Gem, I think you're right and yes, it did work.

Thankfully though, we are getting on our crating schedule and this is working out much better for me. I will actually be able to paint my toes today and I've been wanting to paint them since puppy came home!

Pics coming right up!

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:20 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Here you go! Puppy pics. Last four were uploaded today... I think I have more on my camera but Bridge isn't wanting to import them for whatever reason. I'll have to grab those the old fashioned way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomg...7621966731316/

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:12 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Your puppy is soo cute!!! And his name is awesome too.

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:18 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
OHKAY, I'm not sure what's going on, but I didn't get ANY email notifications about how busy ya'll have been on this thread!!!

MINIxB - I can smell the "new car smell" from here!! Good job, I love the blue and white combo. And Artemis is still a boy's name too. WHen I first saw it here, I thought of one of the three Musketeers...but his name is ARAMIS, not Artemis. Same difference.

'Ola, do NOT smother Mr. Smokey. I am NOT driving 14 hours or more just to visit you every month in jail, babe. I make my hubband roll over constantly when he goes into sawing logs mode. I've even offered to put him on a large rotisserie, but he didn't think that was quite so funny.
Remember last week when I mentioned that I was having the same problem? Well, I think it was Saturday and when I turned on my email it showed 100+ messages coming in! Usually that many messages means there's a virus somewhere... but just like you said... NAM was a little behind. All of the notifications from the past week came rolling in.

So ya mean that don't got that WIIIFIIII in prison? No NAM?

I like the idea of the "rotisserie"... don't understand why your hub doesn't think that's clever??? I mean... why should it be OUR responsibility to keep flipping them over?

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:22 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Aww... Mugen is like the cutest little chocolate monkey! *hearts*

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:32 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Hey MINIxB- I hope you didn't think I was making fun of your name. I just wanted to know what it meant... why it was special to you. Figured I'd ask here instead of lurk in the "What is your MINIs name and why" thread!

Are you by chance a member of this site: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167852
I am not. But I have a question for a member there and I don't want to register just to ask a question. In the 2nd post, "CXT" mentions that there is a guy in St. Pete that does the same kind of work as the company "PatternTek". (Mods for changing finishes on dashes and other fixtures.) Anyway, I was wondering... if you belong to this forum... maybe you could ask him for the contact info for the guy in St. Pete. MUCH closer to me than Homestead/Miami area.

Old 08-17-2009 | 02:35 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Yes I have an account on Scion Life. I can ask about it when I get to a computer tonight. (I'm on my blackberry right now)

Old 08-17-2009 | 07:56 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Testing the waters here first.....

Thought I'd test the waters here first before I post on the MOTD forum.

I'd like to see what you Freebies think about doing a mass e-mailing to the blokes at Top Gear, inviting them to drive the Tail of the Dragon. In MINIs of course.

I sent one to them in January or February prior to MOTD 2009, but got no response. I did this in response to a remark made by Jeremy Clarkson about the U.S. not having any decent driving roads.

I'm thinking if we get a concerted effort from a bunch of the MINI community and start doing so now, maybe, just maybe we might get them to come over here to drive the Dragon.

Do you all think I should go ahead and post in the Event threads, or should I check with Barry (Snooter) first before I post on an open forum?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Old 08-18-2009 | 03:34 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
HalAC greetings and that sounds like a cool idea. I'd run it by Snooter and the Tar Heels Club first as a matter of protocol.

Old 08-18-2009 | 06:25 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hal, I'd definitely suggest you talk to Snooter first. I doubt he'd have any issues with it, but if anybody would be the "touchpoint" for legal questions/ramifications/etc. of such a visit, it'd be him. If he agrees, he'd probably make you the big cheese of that project! It would also be a kind of advert boost too....

Old 08-18-2009 | 07:08 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Clarkson does have a point though.

We have to drive all the way to BFE to hop on a decent driving road!

Oh, and OF COURSE I'll do it!

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:13 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
RG... What is BFE??? I ask because I found LOTS of good driving roads on my travels. In fact, where I live is scattered with them. Everything from tight twisties in the boonies to wide open state routes that no one uses. Of course, I'm a tad spoiled as TN has some of the best roads in the country Our Department of Transportation, which, until recently, was made up of Road Builders, is funded by the gasoline tax. And it has LOTS of money it likes to spend on good roads...
I haven't done much driving out on the Left Coast in a number of years, but I seem to remember some really fun roads out there. And I know of a few in northern New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana...
I have been really disappointed (ok, I hated) the interstates in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Northern Texas... the surface is horrible and there are HUGE potholes. If I remember correctly, Kansas interstates are good, Iowa was smooth, Nebraska too- Missouri was under construction, I think they were resurfacing the road...
I think it all depends on what you're looking for... As much as I LOVE Top Gear, I find that Clarkson et al like to take jabs at those upstarts across the pond (us).
JMHO... and now back to your regularly scheduled Freebie Show!

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:19 AM
miniola
6th Gear
TNMM- RG might have to pm "BFE". Although we used to call it "EBF"... maybe a East Coast/ West Coast thing.

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:21 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIxB
Yes I have an account on Scion Life. I can ask about it when I get to a computer tonight. (I'm on my blackberry right now)
Cool. Thanks!

I tried searching online yesterday/lastnight for someone in this part of Florida. If I can find someone in St. Pete that would be great.

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:22 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
It's Bum f***ed Egypt. Also, note I am a west coast transplant. Learned that phrase from my dad in the corn fields of the Hoosier State.

V, I love you... but TN is BFE. Most of the population centers are um... like... nowhere near TN. The majority of America has to hit the back country roads in and around their community in an attempt to find twisties and bends. You're lucky. You already live there!

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:31 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Hal- sounds like a good idea. I don't know who "Snooter" is... (we have a "Snooty" the manatee 'round these parts )... but sounds like he plays a big part in the Dragon thing.

I would agree that Clarkson probably has issues with "across the pond" for any reason. Green with envy.

I would also agree that there are MANY beautiful roads... and dare I say... the "Dragon" isn't the "end-all be-all". *ducking...looking up... waiting for the thunderous Dragon God to strike me down whilst at this keyboard* .

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:33 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
It's Bum f***ed Egypt. Also, note I am a west coast transplant. Learned that phrase from my dad in the corn fields of the Hoosier State.

V, I love you... but TN is BFE. Most of the population centers are um... like... nowhere near TN. The majority of America has to hit the back country roads in and around their community in an attempt to find twisties and bends. You're lucky. You already live there!
We knew it (in Maine) as "East Bum F***". Actual location nearby I think.

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:37 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
ROFL! Wouldn't it be great to find that on a map Ola?

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:56 AM
miniola
6th Gear
I'm pretty sure I lived there for most of my life. But if I post the map then people will know my history. I'm going to search Google Earth and see if I can find it.

Old 08-18-2009 | 10:00 AM
carjoy
6th Gear
I searched Google Earth for my house and sure enough, there was my MINI in the driveway. Plain as day. Please excuse the dirt...
Name:  googleearth.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  44.7 KB

Old 08-18-2009 | 10:07 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Hal- sounds like a good idea. I don't know who "Snooter" is... (we have a "Snooty" the manatee 'round these parts )... but sounds like he plays a big part in the Dragon thing.

I would agree that Clarkson probably has issues with "across the pond" for any reason. Green with envy.

I would also agree that there are MANY beautiful roads... and dare I say... the "Dragon" isn't the "end-all be-all". *ducking...looking up... waiting for the thunderous Dragon God to strike me down whilst at this keyboard* .
"Snooter" is his NAM screen name - he's the colossus that organized MOTD this past year, although I think CabrioPilot helped a bunch.

There's a difference between "beautiful" roads and "Dragon-like" roads. Hell, I don't even know if the Dragon is beautiful!!! (MUUCH too busy trying to keep eyes, hands, wheels, and everything else on the road between the lines properly!) The Blue Ridge Parkway is a "beautiful" road - and twisty in places. Once upon a time, i found a couple of threads here on NAM that helped you find twisties...something about motorcycle roads, etc..... Hmm...

Old 08-18-2009 | 10:12 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Yeah, we went on some "motorcycle roads" on the way up to the Blue Ridge meet. Roads were twisty as hell but rough.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...