Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009 | 11:34 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
$332?!?! And that's just ONE? Holy crap!
No... that's "Holy RUNCRAP!" I think my high performance tires run about $110+/- each. UHOH- No Autobahns 'round here. And since your next stop is KANSAS....

Old 08-21-2009 | 11:47 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
*peeks head in door*...so I'm just curious, this thread is about 9 months old . Has there been at least one post everyday since 11-30-2008? If so then that is unbelievably impressive (insert #1 Trophy smiley face here).

Miniola: at :46 of your second video, seeing the troll's hair get blown by the wind made me spit up my pepsi
DrewN!! Is that YOU? I've missed you! You were one of my favorite Free Classic Mini pioneers! I'm sure I've mentioned you somewhere in my posts (no idea what page(s)...) ... but somewhere back there. There have been some times when I've gone back and scanned through many pages. Really nice group of people for the most part. (Except for this one .) Anyway, glad you stopped by! Sorry about your Pepsi. Did it come out of your nose? I went back and watched where you said to and I couldn't stop laughing. BUT... it was SOOOOOOOO F'ing COLD!!! That whip of wind at :46 ... luckily there was no swearing recorded then! I was trying to keep it PG for my little nieces to see.

I've got to tell you... the Troll (now TrollS- thanks to UHOH) make me laugh every day I drive that MINI! The way the hair flies around in the wind... so funny! I'm sure that people wonder why I have those crazy Trolls on my dash... but I swear... everyone should have one (or two)!

Glad you stopped by to say hello.

Old 08-21-2009 | 11:54 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
Hi Freebe's. It has been a long time since I last posted, but I have popped in now and again to see what you have all been up to. I have been away to training and trying to get caught up at home as well. I was cleaning out my attic and came across an old victorian dollhouse that I started about 20 years ago. My Dad decided that he wanted to work on it, so we have been spending Saturday's together working on the dollhouse. We have finished the wallpaper, hardwood floors and ceilings and are now moving on to the electrical lights. While this has nothing to do with my MINI, everything related with the house is certainly "mini"!

Well anyway, a friend at work sent me an email today of new unusual products and one of the items was just too good not to share with my fellow MINI and Mini owners on the Free Classic Mini thread. This item is too cool. Now while it bothers me that perhaps a real Mini had to give its life, I am just going to go on believing that this is a sweet replica and no Mini's were killed in the creation of this product.

Have to go, I have office work to finish tonight so that I can work on the dollhouse again this weekend and go on a MINI run on Sunday. Hi to all and catch you later.
THAT's a REALLY cool desk!

Old 08-21-2009 | 11:56 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
ROFLMAO! Ola you're a NUT! And your poor troll, she looked cold with her hair all ablowin in the wind and snow...
YES! I will admit to it. Glad it made you laugh!

Old 08-21-2009 | 12:34 PM
GI Joe
1st Gear
Maybe if I can't sell my Mini, I'll make IT into a desk??? That's a lot 'o' dough for a nice peice of machinery to just sit...I suppose this would be the type of project you'd not mind starting with a rust bucket, and bondo it as needed to make it purdy, with no concern for the putty cracking out later from the elements.. ?

Old 08-21-2009 | 03:55 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Ooooo, Darren, that's a sweet picture! We would totally be jealous of you.

SO! The latest update on the drama that is MINI shoes. Yes, i went with run flats. No, i didn't go to the dealer (wayyyy too far away.) I went with the TireRack dealer, and managed to limp my way to their location early this morning. Nice guy at the desk, and I know they consider themselves "southern" here... but I don't think I've ever heard a MAN refer to my husband as "Big Daddy." EEEEEVER. !!!! I was so taken aback by this, I almost didn't hear the guy call me "Girl." Repeatedly. He was a sweet guy and didn't mean any offense, but ... YIKES, I was in uniform and I guess I just didn't expect it. (Am I brainwashed or what!) ANywayyyy...The "shoe" is going to cost me $332!!!! That's more than my house's electric bill for a whole month in 95+ degree summer heat and 4,700+ square feet of house!!!!!! ARRRRGH!!!!
I had Dunlop run flats on mine just prior to MOTD. Left rear started to have it's belts separate, causing quite a bit of vibration above 60 MPH.

Went to a local tire store and asked if they could get me a new tire. Exact replacement was out the door price of $238. They said they would have to order it and would have it the next day.

So when I got home I did some research here on this forum about run flats(RF) and their replacement. It seems most MINI owners are replacing their RF's with a conventional type tire. Seem like a lot of people were going with Falken's.

I called the tire store before they closed and asked what they recommended. They agreed that the Falken is a good brand which they had available. Two of these tire were $228, mounted, balanced, including fees. I got those in March then the other two in April just before MOTD.

What a world of difference in these tires. Better ride, quieter, and better handling. Since they're not RF's, I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat, tire plugs, and soon a small air compressor. Since there's no place for a spare, eventually I'd like to get a MINFINI Continental tire mount kit. http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=16

Old 08-21-2009 | 04:50 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
DrewN!! Is that YOU? I've missed you! You were one of my favorite Free Classic Mini pioneers! I'm sure I've mentioned you somewhere in my posts (no idea what page(s)...) ... but somewhere back there. There have been some times when I've gone back and scanned through many pages. Really nice group of people for the most part. (Except for this one .) Anyway, glad you stopped by! Sorry about your Pepsi. Did it come out of your nose? I went back and watched where you said to and I couldn't stop laughing. BUT... it was SOOOOOOOO F'ing COLD!!! That whip of wind at :46 ... luckily there was no swearing recorded then! I was trying to keep it PG for my little nieces to see.

I've got to tell you... the Troll (now TrollS- thanks to UHOH) make me laugh every day I drive that MINI! The way the hair flies around in the wind... so funny! I'm sure that people wonder why I have those crazy Trolls on my dash... but I swear... everyone should have one (or two)!

Glad you stopped by to say hello.
Aww shucks 'ola, I'll try to visit more often . Yeah, I was around early on in this epic thread (btw, this can no longer be called just a thread, it is officially deemed an "epic thread"), and honestly, it was hard to keep up with y'all. Anyways the camaraderie here is off the scales, it's so good to see!

PS. just some dribble off the sides, no nose action . but definitely ROTFLMAO material.

Old 08-22-2009 | 09:51 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
The "shoe" is going to cost me $332!!!! That's more than my house's electric bill for a whole month in 95+ degree summer heat and 4,700+ square feet of house!!!!!! ARRRRGH!!!!
HOLY SHEEP!!! UhOh...my OEM RF's are only $207 &$220 on TireRack??!! (depending on Speed Rating). What OEM tire are you running that's plated in GOLD??!!

Old 08-22-2009 | 11:17 AM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Dollhouse road trip

Morning all. The dollhouse made the safe journey from my Dad's house to mine, so now on with the electrical work. We were afraid that if we did too much more work offsite that it would become too delicate to transport. So down with the top and hit the road. Who needs an SUV or a pickup truck anyway! Oh and that is Krissy, job foreman. All projects require supervision. He is sitting in his "Skybox" car seat. It anchors to the headrest and straps around the seat back for security. A strap in the skybox attaches to his harness to keep him secure. CalOSHA on all job sites!

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-dollhouse-going-for-a-ride-1.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-krissy-and-the-dollhouse.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-dollhouse-arrives-safely.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009 | 12:48 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Nice Kiki! NICE!

Old 08-22-2009 | 07:16 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
KIKI - welcome back, and just had to tell you that is a beautiful doll house! Enjoy spending the time with you dad, this project will make for some great memories someday!

Old 08-22-2009 | 08:00 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Just saying hey.

DrewN- I still laugh about how you threw your TUMS on the counter and... well... you know the rest! AC/DC and Ben Gay... ahhhh the combo there. So... hope you'll come back every once in awhile and check in on us.

Just got back from seeing the QT/Brad Pitt movie about "Basterds". It was pretty good. I don't think I've been a big fan of QT... his movies have been hard for me to "get". But this one was good. Kinda' gross sometimes and I had to close my eyes.

Hal- I'll definitely agree with the tires. The husband says mine are $180-ish each. Still better than the alternative though. I know UHOH does not want to become a convert.

Old 08-23-2009 | 04:44 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia guys!

Ok, the end total bill was $330. That included a kind of "warranty" that I wouldn't have to pay more than $50 if this tire blows. I decided it was worth it, considering the NASTY potholes around here...if a pot hole can tear a 3" gash in it once, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. I'd hate to think about what I'd have done if I didn't have runflats that night. Anyway... Think about it: you buy more than one tire, the prices goes WAY down. I bought four tires in / around December last year, and I paid $600 for tires, installation on my rims, balancing and disposal of the old ones. But i did NOT get the warranty.

ANNYYYWAYYY... Tummy's not feelin' so hot, but I thought I'd check in after our weekend guests left. I'm currently watching the Scooby Doo movie marathon!!! Hope ya'll are having a good weekend!

Oh ya, and P.S. - Gem & Cab: have you guys figured out where we ought to meet up next Monday? I just need to know a little ahead of time so i can get the boss moving at the right time to be up there.

Old 08-23-2009 | 08:04 PM
GI Joe
1st Gear
UH OH, So you only bought the one tire?? Are the rest pretty new as well? That sucks buying one at a time, I know you didn't plan it that way.
I think you're the first MINI driver i've heard of actually Preferring the runflats. Most can't wait to get rid of 'em! It's good to be unique!

Old 08-23-2009 | 08:25 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Another great MINI run

Hi all. We are back from our run and the "Kids" are all washed, waxed and tucked in for the night. We had a wonderful opportunity to visit a nearby military base and play with some of the planes. One of our club members arranged for us to go on base with the MINIs and take glam shots with an F18. Afterwards we headed to a nearby ice cream establishment that has been around for years and serves a single scoop the size of a pint! I have attached a few of the "hobby" shots that we snapped. A professional base photographer took the real shots that we will get later.

Great day, great run. Our MINIs have opened up a whole new world of adventure for us. The love affair gets better everyday!

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-patriotic-minis.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-f18-and-the-minis.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-the-kids-and-f18.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009 | 08:48 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GI Joe
UH OH, So you only bought the one tire?? Are the rest pretty new as well? That sucks buying one at a time, I know you didn't plan it that way.
I think you're the first MINI driver i've heard of actually Preferring the runflats. Most can't wait to get rid of 'em! It's good to be unique!
Um, yes...I'm pretty sure I qualify as "unique." And yes, I definitely did NOT plan on buying only one. I bought the four tires (including the blow out) in December 08 - so they didn't even have 20k miles on them. But I also did NOT get the blowout insurance on them...and should have with these frickin' frackin' potholes. On average, I see at least SEVEN cars on the sides of the roads for blown tires every time I drive to D.C. EVERY TIME!

*sigh* today is totally a Monday. I hate stupid people. hate them hate them hate them. hate them.

Old 08-24-2009 | 05:27 PM
GI Joe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
Hi all. We are back from our run and the "Kids" are all washed, waxed and tucked in for the night. We had a wonderful opportunity to visit a nearby military base and play with some of the planes. One of our club members arranged for us to go on base with the MINIs and take glam shots with an F18. Afterwards we headed to a nearby ice cream establishment that has been around for years and serves a single scoop the size of a pint! I have attached a few of the "hobby" shots that we snapped. A professional base photographer took the real shots that we will get later.

Great day, great run. Our MINIs have opened up a whole new world of adventure for us. The love affair gets better everyday!
LOVE the Red White and Bue shot!! And great placement of the "S" vs. Non "S"... Balance makes a picture Great!!
Looks like a fun time, and nice to have a contact to make shots like that possible!

UH-OH, 7 Per day??? Seems like someone(i.e. hwy dept), would make an issue for the holes..I've heard of the commute to D.C., and well.. Not for This guy!! Bless you for making it through your tour and I hope the roads are better at your next asignment!
I am spoiled with our TN roads! Some of the best in the nation, so I hear.. I beleive it too!!

Old 08-24-2009 | 06:35 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
GI JOE,
I'm right there with you- I do a lot of driving, all over the country, and Tennessee has some of the best roads I've found. Even on a county level, they tend to be better than most others.
And I lived in the DC area back in the late 70's/early 80's... the morning radio jocks would have a contest for the worst pothole of the day. One of them swallowed a VW bug...
<sigh>

Old 08-24-2009 | 07:26 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

Oh ya, and P.S. - Gem & Cab: have you guys figured out where we ought to meet up next Monday? I just need to know a little ahead of time so i can get the boss moving at the right time to be up there.
Looking forward to meeting you....will leave the "where" to Cab. I'm on Fall break at school and get out of work around 5:00. so anytime after that!!

Old 08-24-2009 | 07:29 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Um, yes...I'm pretty sure I qualify as "unique." And yes, I definitely did NOT plan on buying only one. I bought the four tires (including the blow out) in December 08 - so they didn't even have 20k miles on them. But I also did NOT get the blowout insurance on them...and should have with these frickin' frackin' potholes. On average, I see at least SEVEN cars on the sides of the roads for blown tires every time I drive to D.C. EVERY TIME!

*sigh* today is totally a Monday. I hate stupid people. hate them hate them hate them. hate them.
Can you send the bill the Department of Transportation?

Old 08-25-2009 | 05:24 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
Can you send the bill the Department of Transportation?
I WISH. They'd laugh and put it in the circular file. Don't forget: these are the people charging up to $3,000 fines and fees for speeding if you're ticketed with VA plates. (For the record, this is one of the reasons we DON"T have VA plates!)

Old 08-25-2009 | 09:25 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I WISH. They'd laugh and put it in the circular file. Don't forget: these are the people charging up to $3,000 fines and fees for speeding if you're ticketed with VA plates. (For the record, this is one of the reasons we DON"T have VA plates!)
Good reason not to have VA plates, I guess.

I'd say more, but I'm afraid politics would inevitably get pulled into the discussion...so I'll keep my mouth shut!

Old 08-25-2009 | 07:02 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
OUCH!!

Old 08-25-2009 | 07:05 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
X- Not sure where Cab is!!!
Regarding our meeting Monday night, my hubby is coming too! He suggested Manunk, are you familiar with that area? I will check with Cab if she has a better idea!

Old 08-25-2009 | 08:49 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hi Freebies!! I am still in Colorado and having a wonderful time, Gem,, when did we decide to leave the location up to me??? LOL
Esp. when you are the one worried about driiving and also you live pretty far away?? Here is my suggestion, why don't you and hubby research online and see what is do-able for you and also is as close as you would like to go towards the city and pick a place?
If we do Manyunk we might be able to keep Sarah off of that nasty Skyukill at rush hour traffic time.. another thought is Bala Cynwyd, just about 10 minutes away from Manyunk and closer to the city. I do remember Manyunk as having some really nice places to eat and a few nice "tappy's" also, but just can't research right now. It has been a few years since we have eaten there.

Anyways I am rambling, I will be happy to plan and plot a location to meet but not until I arrive home Friday......
cheers eerybody!! talk to you all soon!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...