Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 04:51 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
Yeah, I know your pain about re-doing ceilings. Our first house had the 12" square ceiling tiles that were discolored from previous roof leaks and were warped from age. After I took down a few with a raining down of roach poop, I decided not to take any more down. I just left them in place and put up dry wall sheets up to seal everything up..
Ok, I really ought not to talk about this in the same post as PF Chang's (it's like blasphemy!) Anyway, the things that were coming out of the ceiling were MUCH MUCH BIGGER and NASTIER, but along the exact same lines as the roach poop. I do NOT want to know what MADE them. I was SO filthy... *insert shudder!* Hal, are you sure it was sanitary to just seal it up??? That was one of the biggest reasons why we decided to keep taking down the walls and ceilings - to make sure the smell and any mold are DEFINTELY GONE.

Never heard of P.F. Changs; checked out their website and see there is one in Franklin, TN. May have to make trip up there sometime soon.
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Hal, there's one in Cool Springs. I've never been- Hubband doesn't do Chinese food, but I do (if it's good... got burned out on really bad Chinese food)
PF Changs is SCRUMP-DILLY-ISHUS!!!! Seriously, on first look at the menu, it doesn't look much different than your run-of-the-mill chinese food meals, BUT!!! It's really much much better. Less fat, no MSG, and their chicken lettuce wraps are *sigh* SO YUMMY. And hubband and I are fully addicted to their wonton soup - it comes in a huge bowl to share with huge chunks of chicken and shrimp, with fresh spinach floating in it. YUUUUUUUMMMMY!!!!

Hal, there's one in Cool Springs. I've never been- Hubband doesn't do Chinese food, but I do (if it's good... got burned out on really bad Chinese food)

X, this day always overwhelms me- and I'll never be able to watch Sesame Street again (I was turning it on for the babies and watched the 2nd plane plow into the 2nd tower). In fact, we've never watched day time tv again.

Too many people died... needlessly. I'm the same way about the Murrah Federal Building in OKC. So very very sad.
I won't go into what I was doing and where I was when the planes hit, but I DO want to share this with ya'll. Here's a link: Roll Call This is just one of the many memorial ceremonies, and it's just a clip of the one I attended today. One of the SADDEST things about military memorial ceremonies is Roll Call. This roll call is a little different - we were commemorating the deaths of 199 Ordnance soldiers this year. In this clip, when a name is called, a fellow soldier brings the deceased's set of dog tags up to a memorial stand (can't see it in the clip) - the memorial stand is an inverted rifle, standing on it's muzzle between the deceased's set of boots, with the deceased's helmet sitting on the butt of the weapon. Then the fellow soldier slowly salutes the dogtags/memorial stand. Usually when we call roll for memorials, they call the name three times, and are met with silence each time. You want a good cry, attend a military memorial ceremony for more than one soldier. Holy CRAP but it gets me every time.

Last edited by x uh oh x; 09-11-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2009 | 05:14 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
<wipes screen>
<wipes table>
<picks up coffee cup>

You wrote this and I have a picture of two snow seal pups right in front of me...
and now I have a mental image that is just too funny for words! Or barks!

my cough is still with me, but not to the extent yours is. It no longer hurts to cough, but it's still a productive cough... so I'm still drinking licorice tea (and am slightly hyper because of it). My chiro said the cough may stick around for up to 4 weeks... I'm not thrilled about that, but as long as it doesn't HURT anymore, I can live with it.

Hope you, uh, seal better

Okay, sad to tell you both this, but I think I had my "palgue" first and I am just now starting to go through the day without hacking my fool head off. i don't cough at night any longer but I still get a tickle at least twice a day,,, and I too could call in the horney ( gasp!! yes, I said it!!) seals and possibly a randy moose or two!!

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:16 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
hahahha TN I would hope that would make someone laugh....
I took Mucenix 2 nights in a row and it is starting to ease a bit, but my stomach muscles really hurt!

P.F. Changs???? we have a gift card for there but never been. So it is that good? Cab want to meet for dinner sometime? is Plymouth Meeting too far to drive from your area?
Absolutely Gemmy!! We would love to!! Especially if we could plan on it on a Sunday?? Bob is commited for weddings every Saturday in Sept and a couple in October ...

And Plymouth meeting is within our driving range

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:17 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Yeah, I know your pain about re-doing ceilings. Our first house had the 12" square ceiling tiles that were discolored from previous roof leaks and were warped from age. After I took down a few with a raining down of roach poop, I decided not to take any more down. I just left them in place and put up dry wall sheets up to seal everything up.

Never heard of P.F. Changs; checked out their website and see there is one in Franklin, TN. May have to make trip up there sometime soon.

Ooooh,, ugh,,, now I see what you are talking about.....ugh

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:33 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Hal, there's one in Cool Springs. I've never been- Hubband doesn't do Chinese food, but I do (if it's good... got burned out on really bad Chinese food)......
Maybe we can meet you up there sometime. We need a good excuse to go up there to shop. Deb and I both like to go to Whole Foods. They have a really great selection of breads and cheeses.

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:47 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
....Anyway, the things that were coming out of the ceiling were MUCH MUCH BIGGER and NASTIER, but along the exact same lines as the roach poop. I do NOT want to know what MADE them. I was SO filthy... *insert shudder!* Hal, are you sure it was sanitary to just seal it up??? That was one of the biggest reasons why we decided to keep taking down the walls and ceilings - to make sure the smell and any mold are DEFINITELY GONE.
We checked with several friends who were in the renovation business and they recommended NOT tearing down the ceiling. They said it was more hazardous than just leaving it in place. The attic on that house had almost no crawl space at all; about 18" in the peak. Being a wood frame the ventilation in the attic was very good. So mold was never an issue.

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:12 PM
miniola
6th Gear
SO MUCH going on here. Are you guys outta FreebieLOVE yet?

I've never been to PF Changs. There is one in Tampa though.

Seal better... .

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:13 PM
miniola
6th Gear
UHOH- We gotta keep this one for anytime someone's sick!This is the BEST sick guy one!

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:15 PM
miniola
6th Gear
GEM- looks like I'm the one having a conversation with myself tonight!

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:17 PM
miniola
6th Gear
It's kinda' fun!

What's the next post number we've gotta get to?

Old 09-11-2009 | 07:32 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Well maybe it's not THAT fun.

Old 09-11-2009 | 08:34 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hi Ola,
just got back on... only to find that not only have our ranks turned into horney seals, we now also have randy moose... this could get ugly! Thank gawd we don't have sound on this thread! But if it helps, when I blow my nose I either sound like a prepubescent goose or an Elephant with adenoids! and poor X, she found out that I sound like cat coughing up a fur ball when I brush my teeth... (mostly because I AM a coughing up fur *****... I swear I have to stop washing the cats! I really hate it when I get fur on my tongue)...
OK- that should be enough wackiness from this end of the internet I think post 6300 is our next big 'un... unless we just go for 6500!

Hey Hal- you and Deb have a date- I can make a day of it myself- Costco, Whole Paycheck and PF Changs... I think I need me some won ton soup (either that or some of that incredible lemon grass/coconut/chicken soup over at the Thai restaurant...)

Old 09-11-2009 | 08:36 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
X... I'll have to look at the roll call when I've got my emotions back on track. I get really overwhelmed with the sadness of it all-

HUGS- V

Old 09-11-2009 | 08:43 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Thai restaurant? Did you say Thai?

We LOVE a good Thai place. So far since we have moved up here we've only found a couple of good ones; one in Chattanooga and a couple in Murfreesboro. We'll have to check our schedule. Next weekend is the MINI Run. Maybe the 26th?

Old 09-11-2009 | 08:56 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
and poor X, she found out that I sound like cat coughing up a fur ball when I brush my teeth... (mostly because I AM a coughing up fur *****... I swear I have to stop washing the cats! I really hate it when I get fur on my tongue)...
She's TOTALLY not kidding. I had to call in to her to make sure she hadn't hacked up a lung or something....

Old 09-11-2009 | 10:32 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
UhOh...I can't imagine how you and the other Soldiers feel when performing this ceremony. In honoring your fallen comrades you pay tribute to the lives they lead and the life they lost protecting all of us!! God Bless them and their Families. *insert Saluting Smiley* But...How on earth do you keep from crying your eyes out in Unifrom during these??

Old 09-12-2009 | 05:09 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
X- thanks for sharing that roll call with us! There is no way in h*** I could not cry during that!

Old 09-12-2009 | 05:21 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Absolutely Gemmy!! We would love to!! Especially if we could plan on it on a Sunday?? Bob is commited for weddings every Saturday in Sept and a couple in October ...

And Plymouth meeting is within our driving range
That sounds great!!! A Sunday is fine with us in a couple weeks or so. Hubby and I are going away for a weekend getaway for his birthday next weekend. A well deserved mini vacation... I was going to keep the place a surprise to him (I told you and X about it when we met for dinner) but couldn't keep my mouth shut long enough (big surprise there ).
We are going to the York Pa Fair and have tickets for Jeff Dunham a funny comedian we both enjoy watching. Hubby was really happy about the tickets.
As soon as we get back you and I can find a date to get together!!!

Old 09-12-2009 | 05:24 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
[quote=TNMiniMama;2870684]Hi Ola,
just got back on... only to find that not only have our ranks turned into horney seals, we now also have randy moose... this could get ugly! Thank gawd we don't have sound on this thread! But if it helps, when I blow my nose I either sound like a prepubescent goose or an Elephant with adenoids! and poor X, she found out that I sound like cat coughing up a fur ball when I brush my teeth... (mostly because I AM a coughing up fur *****... I swear I have to stop washing the cats! I really hate it when I get fur on my tongue)...
quote]

HUM, do you wash dogs too?

Old 09-12-2009 | 05:25 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
UHOH- We gotta keep this one for anytime someone's sick!This is the BEST sick guy one!

you are right this sick smily is a keeper!!!

Old 09-12-2009 | 06:31 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
UhOh...I can't imagine how you and the other Soldiers feel when performing this ceremony. In honoring your fallen comrades you pay tribute to the lives they lead and the life they lost protecting all of us!! God Bless them and their Families. *insert Saluting Smiley* But...How on earth do you keep from crying your eyes out in Unifrom during these??
Um...sometimes it's perfectly acceptable to cry in uniform. This kind of thing is one of them - Even "manly men" do it at these ceremonies. I think they actually TRY to see how many guys they can make cry. Normally I just look like a leaky faucet....tears streaming. There's only one time I outright bawled my eyes out, but that was also justified.

Old 09-12-2009 | 07:16 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
hey morning X how are you today?? you have have a rough week with the "bosses" and ceiling and all!!!

Old 09-12-2009 | 09:03 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Um...sometimes it's perfectly acceptable to cry in uniform. This kind of thing is one of them - Even "manly men" do it at these ceremonies. I think they actually TRY to see how many guys they can make cry. Normally I just look like a leaky faucet....tears streaming. There's only one time I outright bawled my eyes out, but that was also justified.
I'm glad it's acceptable to cry at these in uniform, it only makes sense.

Mornin' Freebs!! Cleaning out the Coffee Pot so no coffee made yet. Speaking of coffee what's the preferences of you all??

A nice Sumatra is my favorite, in fact I have to replace the Costco Brand I have, but not sure where to search out the PERFECT Sumatra??!!

Have a Great Day Freebies!!

Old 09-12-2009 | 09:13 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
RJ, you need to track down Random Gemini... she's our resident Sexy Barista- I don't remember if she shows up here, but she's on some of the other off topic threads- she'll lead you in the right direction.
Also there's a guy named TC, who is on some of the OT threads... he knows his stuff too...

But, I still bow to RG!

Personally, I like a nice medium to medium strong roast- something that has a lot of good flavor and body, but doesn't have that "dragon breath" after taste. I don't like French Roasts, but do like Italian Roasts...

Old 09-12-2009 | 09:50 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Did someone call for the Sexy Barista?!

Thomas Hammer's Sumatra Mandheling is what you need. You will have to mail order it. I recommend ordering whole bean as ground coffee does not last as long as the bean. Ground coffee actually only maintains full flavor for 24 hours after it's been ground. Whole bean is always best.

Costco's drip coffee isn't bad... but it's DRIP. It's like saying it's better than Folgers... which isn't saying much.

Mail order it through http://www.hammercoffee.com

It's 10 bucks for a 12 oz bag of beans.... yes, it's spendy... but oooh so worth it. Another favorite of mine is their Columbian Monserrate. They bought a micro lot of it this spring and it is... just a gorgeous coffee. Wonderful coffee flavor with a hint of fruitiness and a smooth finish. I believe they are going to try to carry it full time, which would just make my entire day.

For espresso and latte making, I use Thomas Hammer's Signature blend. It's a good all around coffee for making espresso and appeals to every coffee drinker I have met so far.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...