Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009 | 07:45 PM
miniola
6th Gear
I know... I meant the DREAMING of your Sloopy. Surely when you joined you were so there.

Old 09-29-2009 | 06:15 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
oh weren't we all I was addicted by that point so I figure why not sign up!

Old 09-29-2009 | 09:01 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I can't believe you guys did not catch the "Meaning of Life" reference... *sigh*

Anywho. So this morning, my BFF logs onto IM and tells me that her hubby is looking at her brakes. I sat there for a second, knowing that her hubby actually doesn't know jack or crap about cars... and asked her if he knew what was wrong. "Well, he's replacing the brake pads because I told him that the brakes were making a funny noise."

"Honey, did you tell him what the noise sounded like?"

"No."

"Squeaking is normal, brakes sometimes throw dust and it makes a squeaking sound. Just check how much is left on the pad before going through the trouble to change it."

"Well, they don't squeak. They grind."

I sat there... and stared at my screen and said, "Okay honey... that's not brake pads. That's rotors."

"Well he says the pads will fix it."

"No sweetie, it won't. Take it to your shop and tell them to check your brakes."

"But he likes to feel all manly!"

At this point... I lost it.

"Don't you DARE pull that 'I'm a girl and I can't do it.' crap on me! That's bulls*** and you and I both know it. I have seen you split wood, hang drywall and gutters and dig up a tree stump by yourself. All your hubby does is occasionally mow the lawn and take out the trash. Now get your car into the shop before your well-meaning hubby gets you and your daughters killed the next time you have to stop too fast. You know better."

I received a phone call a few minutes ago from the shop. "So... my mechanic wants to know how we made it here alive."

I love my friends.

Old 09-29-2009 | 12:08 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Sweetie... where was the "Meaning of Life" reference?

The story of your friend is hilarious (and scary). I'm glad she didn't have a wreck! So what was wrong?

Old 09-29-2009 | 03:50 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Headache. Heeeeaaadache. But They let me out of the glass jar today! I went with some colleagues to the Modern Day Marine Expo - kind of a cool new military toy convention for Marines. We have one for the Army, too, but it's too "good ol' boy" and political for my tastes (besides I have meetings at that time and can't go.) Anyway...More and more, I'm getting the impression I'm a nutcase. I KNOW!!! This is a total shocker. But I keep getting embroiled in discussions about my profession (it is kinda complicated.) Do normal people do that? Like talk for hours about it? Debate it? It's like I'm a fanatic or something!?

Headache.

Old 09-29-2009 | 06:12 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Rg?? meaning of life??? come on girl cough up more details?? what did I miss???
I am lazy so I am on strike,,, well at least the kindof strike that allows me for tonight to watch my capital letters and such. and ooohhh, it feels good!
Uhoh,,, you didn't start up with my diet soda habit did you?? you are having waay too many headaches lately!!
Rg-- your brakes story was awesome!! awesome!! thank goodness for friends, ya know??

Hal,, so you call fall weather when it is in the 7o-'s?? I am not being sarcastic, just wondering what you call fall weather, since you are far enough south to stay warmer than us further up north and all.
Ola! what temps are you having now? you are probably having awesome weather-- if it isn't raining?

Old 09-29-2009 | 06:26 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Hal,, so you call fall weather when it is in the 7o-'s?? I am not being sarcastic, just wondering what you call fall weather, since you are far enough south to stay warmer than us further up north and all.
Ola! what temps are you having now? you are probably having awesome weather-- if it isn't raining?
The 70's F is such a nice change of pace since it's been in the upper 80's F to 90's F all summer. This morning on the way to work it was only 46 F.

Gotta remember, I lived in Florida for thirty-seven years. We had the following seasons: Hot & Humid, not so Hot & Humid, and a few days of cool with a little frost. Here in Tennessee they actually have four seasons.

Old 09-29-2009 | 06:35 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi freebies.....just dropped in....before popping off to sleep!

Old 09-30-2009 | 07:44 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
morning freebies, just popping in to say hi!
Yesterday was hubby's birthday- we went out with some friends to a great Italian restaruant! yum!

X - go lay down for about a week to get rid of your headaches!
RG - good story, i hate when women think they "NEED a man to do things".
HI Ola, Sika, and Hal.... that sounds like a Law Firm name.

Old 09-30-2009 | 11:24 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Cab I was going to say that the weather was still pretty "warm" here but today we have a "cold front" and my "golden temperature" (77). It was enjoyed! From late October to late April is our "perfect" weather. Except that sometimes it can get pretty cold in December. bbbbrrrrrr

Hey Gem- I like the law firm idea! Hope you're having fun in your classes.

RG- Still waiting to find out how we missed your "reference".

Hello to Hal and Sika and RJ!

UHOH- Why are you having all these headaches? Are you drinking enough electrolytes? You've got to take care of you.

Old 09-30-2009 | 11:26 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Hello all. Just thought I'd pop in and say 'hi'.

Old 09-30-2009 | 12:00 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:34 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
hi Ak

Old 09-30-2009 | 06:22 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Cab I was going to say that the weather was still pretty "warm" here but today we have a "cold front" and my "golden temperature" (77). It was enjoyed! From late October to late April is our "perfect" weather. Except that sometimes it can get pretty cold in December. bbbbrrrrrr

Hey Gem- I like the law firm idea! Hope you're having fun in your classes.
Hi Ola, yes my classes are going well but lots of homework! keeping up with this now but come tax season, not sure how i'm going to do it! but this too we will get past.

oh and too all, you all will never guess who i got a text message from yesterday.... the crazy company boss!! She asked how my new job is going and wanted to see if i was interested in having a drink sometime!!!! Gee wonder what she wants??? hahhahahha

Old 09-30-2009 | 06:23 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
hey where is every one?????

Old 09-30-2009 | 06:48 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia! i'm here. Not much to say, but I'm here!

Old 09-30-2009 | 06:48 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Hi everyone

Old 09-30-2009 | 08:21 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Ola Freebies!!

Old 10-01-2009 | 05:23 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
This morning was a brisk 55degrees and partly sunny. Beautiful fall day! Winter and Fall are my two favorite seasons. I've been cogitating on what design to do for my pumpkins this year (MINI design, of course.) ....If ya'll have any ideas, let me know!

On a sadder note, my MINI is filthy. FIL-THEEEE. Hal would be ashamed of me. But I just haven't had time to detail him properly! (The MINI, not Hal - that's his wife's job!)

Old 10-01-2009 | 06:55 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Monty Python's the Meaning of Life.

The following is NOT Safe For Work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8

Old 10-01-2009 | 07:15 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Well RG THAT was a catchy tune. I went back and read your old post and now I get it. Sorry... I don't know much about Monty Python ... never would have "got it" without the video. Thanks for the entertainment.

Old 10-01-2009 | 07:24 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
On a sadder note, my MINI is filthy. FIL-THEEEE. Hal would be ashamed of me. But I just haven't had time to detail him properly! (The MINI, not Hal - that's his wife's job!)
Thank you for clarifying that!

Boy, yesterday I got Lovebugs on the car and so when I came home I washed the car by hand. I never wash the car (usually the husband does it but since I don't want him to... well I did it). Anyway, you guys talk about lovingly washing your car... like a love affair with detailing or some kind of bonding experience almost. Ummmmm... I wasn't "feeling it". I thought about you guys doing clay bar and all that and I was thinking how do you do it? I bond with my baby on the road... not in the driveway with the soap.
I don't like washing the car. There... I said it. *patiently waiting for tomatoes to whiz past my head* Who's coming to take my abused MINI from me?

Old 10-01-2009 | 08:11 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Thank you for clarifying that!

Boy, yesterday I got Lovebugs on the car and so when I came home I washed the car by hand. I never wash the car (usually the husband does it but since I don't want him to... well I did it). Anyway, you guys talk about lovingly washing your car... like a love affair with detailing or some kind of bonding experience almost. Ummmmm... I wasn't "feeling it". I thought about you guys doing clay bar and all that and I was thinking how do you do it? I bond with my baby on the road... not in the driveway with the soap.
I don't like washing the car. There... I said it. *patiently waiting for tomatoes to whiz past my head* Who's coming to take my abused MINI from me?
Twenty lashes with a wet towel!

Actually, unless you have an affinity for precise and detail-oriented (ok, sometimes ****-retentive) manual labor...well, you may not get it. It's soothing to do manual labor jobs where you can see an end result (like a sparkly car!) and you can zone and get into the groove of detailing it, without having to think too much. I think too much as it is, so it helps...I guess that's why I'm also happy when bashing walls during deliberate DE-CONSTRUCTION (not really demolition) and doing all the little jobs fixing the house. I personally like being very detail-oriented when I do jobs. Some folks call it perfectionistic, but I disagree: I like to pay attention to the details of the job, although I can work with "good enough." I believe in the phrase, "Perfect is the enemy of good enough."

Hal, on the other hand...well, he's got OCMD worse than I do.

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:10 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Hey I've got nothing against detail oriented anything or perfectionism... remember my little flamingo characters on my cake? Stuff like that is what I'm all about. Washing cars... uhhhh... nope. Not feelin' it.

Maybe I can hire someone on the MSSD trip to keep my car polished at every stop? Some of them are pretty crazy!

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:29 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Welcome Ola!

In other news... I need one day in the next month where everything goes right, just one. Is that too much to ask?

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...