Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 05:45 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Ola,
Yeah, hi carb/hi glycemic is bad for diabetics, which is why I have such a hard time with my family (pasta and potatoes & cheese sandwhiches, and high carbs...) and why my doc recommended Low Glycemic Index for Dummies (it was the dummies part I took issue with my Doc over!).
On my own, I eat something akin to a Mediteranean diet- light protein (fish mostly with some fowl and meat but very light), lots of fresh veggies, and my carbs then are usually from chick peas (in any of their many forms), nuts, pine nuts, and the occasional piece of whole grain home-made/farm bread...
<sigh>
This trip I was doing really well until the gal I was traveling with started cooking... heavy cream in everything, bread with every meal, lots of bacon and sausage and her idea of a breakfast was 2 or 3 eggs per person. UGH! (but yummy) I finally started getting heartburn so bad, I had to not eat... and am back to my fresh salads and fish!

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:02 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia Freebs!

RJ - sounds like you're on a mission! You already mentioned some of the spots I was going to suggest for placesettings. As for diet, do you guys know which foods set his blood sugar off? My dad's a drug-induced diabetic (cancer drugs), and it's the breads that set his off. Hubband's dad, though (natural diabetic), gets set off by sugars.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of the Scarsdale Medical diet. So is hubband -- he's a carnivore too. On this diet, he can have all the meat he wants (with a size-goal of "reasonable" in mind). It's a prescribed list of foods to eat on certain days, and the combinations of foods are supposed to lower your calorie intake for two weeks, do your regular diet for two weeks, and back to the medical diet for two weeks, etc. etc. etc. Anyway...

Time for sleepies! I haven't been getting much rest this weekend, so sleep while I can! G'night Freebs!

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:40 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Hia Freebs!

RJ - sounds like you're on a mission! You already mentioned some of the spots I was going to suggest for placesettings. As for diet, do you guys know which foods set his blood sugar off? My dad's a drug-induced diabetic (cancer drugs), and it's the breads that set his off. Hubband's dad, though (natural diabetic), gets set off by sugars.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of the Scarsdale Medical diet. So is hubband -- he's a carnivore too. On this diet, he can have all the meat he wants (with a size-goal of "reasonable" in mind). It's a prescribed list of foods to eat on certain days, and the combinations of foods are supposed to lower your calorie intake for two weeks, do your regular diet for two weeks, and back to the medical diet for two weeks, etc. etc. etc. Anyway...

Time for sleepies! I haven't been getting much rest this weekend, so sleep while I can! G'night Freebs!
this is what hubby and I do!! Trouble is that I am totally burnt out with it and just cannot face 2 weeks on that restricted meal plan..... I think it is becasue I am on the road so much and you really need time in the kitchen .
But--OMG- it really does work!! My BP drops quite a bit while following Scarsdale too.
RJ-- I am thinking like Ola,, IKEA just might do the trick... do you have Home Goods stores near you? I have no idea if they have the smaller plates but they really have a super nice selection,, might be worth a try.

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:56 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Another weekend shot or just about.

Saturday was cloudy and on/off mist all day. Wasn't able to wash Cedric. But did go out and do some driving around and shopping. Found a little thermoelectric cooler to go in the back of the MINI.

Sunday finally cleared off and warmed up a little bit. Got the MINI washed so I could finally start putting the stripes on. Boy did my OCD kick in bad today. All I got put on today was the two wide stripes on the bonnet and their outboard red pinstripes. I had to do the driver's side wide stripe over again. When I put the first one on, somehow I got a HAIR underneath the stripe. I tried to lift up the stripe to remove it, but the vinyl stretched and was ruined. Gotta contact Bryan to see if he can get me a replacement.

Hopefully the weather will be conducive to installing stripes on the rest of the car next weekend.

Old 10-11-2009 | 10:06 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Hello-

It has been a long time since I posted anything here (around post #5000 I believe). Before that, as some of you may recall, I posted fairly regularly here.

It's nice to see this is still basically a "random thought" kind of thread. Here's a random thought:

I was just thinking about the stock market and how it has done since March. March was a horrible time to sell, as the S&P 500 hit a low of 676.53 on March 9th (coincidentally, almost exactly the same day I said something about selling all of one's investments and moving into cash might not be a good idea). Friday, it was at 1071.49, an increase of just over 54%.

Oh crap, I said back in March that "I'll refrain from trying to be helpful and adding useful links and just stick to completely inane banter from now on. If you want to put your money in a mayo jar and bury it in the backyard, that's fine by me." Well, I guess I'm still ok; this isn't really here to help anyone. But maybe it'll "put me back in the category of not so dumb after all" and not on a high horse.

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:38 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Ummm... thanks for stopping by the "inane banter" thread again.

Hopefully you feel all warm and fuzzy again after posting your reply.

I think this post may actually put you into a whole other category.

Congrats!

Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Hello-

It has been a long time since I posted anything here (around post #5000 I believe). Before that, as some of you may recall, I posted fairly regularly here.

It's nice to see this is still basically a "random thought" kind of thread. Here's a random thought:

I was just thinking about the stock market and how it has done since March. March was a horrible time to sell, as the S&P 500 hit a low of 676.53 on March 9th (coincidentally, almost exactly the same day I said something about selling all of one's investments and moving into cash might not be a good idea). Friday, it was at 1071.49, an increase of just over 54%.

Oh crap, I said back in March that "I'll refrain from trying to be helpful and adding useful links and just stick to completely inane banter from now on. If you want to put your money in a mayo jar and bury it in the backyard, that's fine by me." Well, I guess I'm still ok; this isn't really here to help anyone. But maybe it'll "put me back in the category of not so dumb after all" and not on a high horse.

Old 10-12-2009 | 11:04 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
It's definitely monday here in the office. The boss is out, and as usual - I'm swamped as a result. Of course today is also the day that our 'problem users' decided to demand attention...so I want nothing more than to get out of here...or perhaps a bullet to the head.

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:20 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
LMAO

Originally Posted by miniola
Ummm... thanks for stopping by the "inane banter" thread again.

Hopefully you feel all warm and fuzzy again after posting your reply.

I think this post may actually put you into a whole other category.

Congrats!

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:35 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gem and Cab- sounds like you guys are going to have fun on your trip!

Ola-- the Phillymini Brdge rally fell through,,, the group wasn't able to get it organized well enough to get it off the ground.....shucks.....

Old 10-12-2009 | 03:54 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
LMAO

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Thanks for all the ideas!! I'll research the Scarsdale Diet, see if Hubby would be up to it. The new med he is on certainly has made a difference, so much so that Blood Sugars are below 80 in the am. So he knows he has to eat something after an hour of being awake. And grocery shopping this weekend did NOT include Red Meat, we bought Ground Turkey instead!!

The dinnerware idea has been shelved for now, shopped online yesterday and again all I was seeing was WHITE!! Carpet how ever is HIGH on the list, we have an installer coming out next Monday for a quote. We are both off that Day, it will be Molly's 1 1/2yr. Anniversary, she's getting New Shoes, an Oil Change, MicronFilter R&R, New Wipers, and if it arrives in time a very cool Metal Flag Decorative Decal for her Boot!!

It arrived today...

Last edited by RJKimbell; 10-13-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 07:58 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hia Freebs!!

RJ - just a diabetic annecdote: my father in law and my dad both test their blood sugars, and ALWAYS say, "OH GOOD! Under 100 - time for IceCream/Candy/Super sugar pop!" Doesn't matter how many times we tell them it doesn't work that way.... That IS one thing the Scarsdale diet cuts out completely: sugar. I didn't miss it much, but hubband is a candy FRREEEEAAAK. It was much harder for him, but he did it.

It's been a very long, arduous, and expensive weekend...but we got oodles and oodles done.

Before, concentrating solely on the left side/corner 2nd and 3rd stories:

During (we did two sides - this side was easier to take photos) -- the window on the 2nd story didn't work and was 1/2 rotted...the other side had a set of double windows, which didn't exactly work, and was also 1/2 rotted:

And AFTER!! We used Hardi plank siding (cement fiber), which was about 20 lbs each piece. Argh. Again, we did two sides...Windows are all working!!! We still have window pane repair/reputty to do as well as a lot of painting,....:

Aaaaaanyway, I hope you guys had a good weekend!

Last edited by x uh oh x; 10-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 08:10 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Nice job!

Old 10-12-2009 | 08:18 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Beautiful UhOh!! I thought it would be quite cold in your neck of the woods this time of year?? We are starting our Fall Storm Season tonight, so if off to bed early for an early rise and on the WET roads with the idiot drivers!!

Hubby doesn't do a lot of sugar (Cola Bottles & Swedish Fish) are his sweets. But me...Salt and Starch is what I crave, well those got tossed over the weekend. Now I do a small yogurt cup when I get home and I'm likin' that so much more!!

Did I mention that I also workout 45min. a day M-F, my company gives us a 1 1/2hr. Lunch if we workout, we have a gym, men's and women's locker rooms. I did 45min. on the Tread Mill (we have 2), I'll do 45 min. on the eliptical (2 of those as well) tomorrow!!

Old 10-12-2009 | 08:19 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Speaking of Trolls... I was cleaning the interior of my car and the windshield and I noticed that my Troll hair was dirty on the back of her head! WHAT has she been doing out there?!?

Old 10-13-2009 | 04:35 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Beautiful UhOh!! I thought it would be quite cold in your neck of the woods this time of year?? We are starting our Fall Storm Season tonight, so if off to bed early for an early rise and on the WET roads with the idiot drivers!!

Hubby doesn't do a lot of sugar (Cola Bottles & Swedish Fish) are his sweets. But me...Salt and Starch is what I crave, well those got tossed over the weekend. Now I do a small yogurt cup when I get home and I'm likin' that so much more!!

Did I mention that I also workout 45min. a day M-F, my company gives us a 1 1/2hr. Lunch if we workout, we have a gym, men's and women's locker rooms. I did 45min. on the Tread Mill (we have 2), I'll do 45 min. on the eliptical (2 of those as well) tomorrow!!
Hey RJ keep up the good work!! It sounds like you are on a mission my friend,, I am enjoying a spurt of energy and am walking/hiking daily for at least 45 minutes. It really gives me energy.
Your set up at work is awesome. ***

Old 10-13-2009 | 09:09 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Hey RJ keep up the good work!! It sounds like you are on a mission my friend,, I am enjoying a spurt of energy and am walking/hiking daily for at least 45 minutes. It really gives me energy.
Your set up at work is awesome. ***
I've toned my legs and tooshy that's for sure, but I still have the stomach. I'm not doing much upper body, just the eliptical hand holds.

We are spoiled that's for sure, in addition we also have a recument bike, a stationary bike, a rowing machine, a full free weight machine, and a 3 station work out machine (what ever you call it).

I'm trying to stay away from those things that are bad for me, not bringing them into the house in the first place is working, ok, so it's only been a few days. I used to have no will power, so that's challenging!!

Old 10-14-2009 | 06:26 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Grumble grumble grumble grumble.... this day had better perk up soon. It's already been too long of a day and it's not even 0930.

Old 10-14-2009 | 11:34 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I've toned my legs and tooshy that's for sure, but I still have the stomach. I'm not doing much upper body, just the eliptical hand holds.

We are spoiled that's for sure, in addition we also have a recument bike, a stationary bike, a rowing machine, a full free weight machine, and a 3 station work out machine (what ever you call it).

I'm trying to stay away from those things that are bad for me, not bringing them into the house in the first place is working, ok, so it's only been a few days. I used to have no will power, so that's challenging!!
Hey RJ-- good for you!! Add some minutes on that rowing maching- that should help your core and upper body!!
Ola,, seems to me that you have mentioned many workouts in the past couple of months,, are you getting "fit fever" too?

Old 10-14-2009 | 11:36 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Grumble grumble grumble grumble.... this day had better perk up soon. It's already been too long of a day and it's not even 0930.
Cheer up old girl,, the workday is almost over now!! Maybe you can string up some lights and climb the side of your house when you get home,,, you know,,, as a nice stress buster!! *wink wink**
Uhoh,, I am going home to Ohio for Thanksgiving, wanna go with?

Old 10-14-2009 | 02:52 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Cheer up old girl,, the workday is almost over now!! Maybe you can string up some lights and climb the side of your house when you get home,,, you know,,, as a nice stress buster!! *wink wink**
I think I remember something a loooong time ago being mentioned about some of us Freebies being from Ohio.

Where abouts are you from/going to? I'm originally from Delaware just above Columbus. Wife is from around the Canton area.

Old 10-14-2009 | 06:58 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Gem and Cab- sounds like you guys are going to have fun on your trip!

Ola-- the Phillymini Brdge rally fell through,,, the group wasn't able to get it organized well enough to get it off the ground.....shucks.....
no rally with Cabby!

Old 10-14-2009 | 07:10 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hi all, it's been a while, and no one is talking????

X your house is beautiful!!! lot's of work, but beautiful - again when your done there and then done Cab's garden, you will stop by my garden please!

Ola, what is your little troll doing when you put your MINI to bed? back of her hair dirty??? hum...

Hi Hal and AK, RJ, RG, TN and anyone else I missed!

One oberservation, nice to come on this thread and see happy, FRIENDLY people after a long day at work and and forget about the negative!

Everything is going great here, loving my job!!!

How come every time i log on everyone is gone??
night all

Old 10-14-2009 | 07:38 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hallo?! Hiya Gemmy - thought of you, Cabby, Sir Red and 04amini as I drove thru PA.... and wished I had time to call y'all and say let's meet somewhere for lunch.
I'm now in Bristol VA (can anyone say NASCAR?)- spending the nite here as it's been raining bad and I'm exhausted from trying to negotiate the F350 at high rates of speed on Mountain roads in the rain... <sigh> only 5 or so more hours of driving tomorrow- and I'm coming home with two piggies (they're mine, they've been in the sanctuary for a spay job)
Gotta run- Ciao-
V

Old 10-14-2009 | 08:06 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
It's so funny you say this, cab! I did get home (late) and had to get up on the ladder, and ended up hugging the side of the stucco wall... gripping only a super thin board (can we say less than 1" wide???) ...i thought about "what if I fell?" And felt like I was rock climbing!!!

V - you be careful, babe! Hope you get some good rest.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...