Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 01:33 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
AK and RJ, you both mentioned snow tires, Ak what brand are you using?
I am searching for snow tires but not a clue as to waht brand is best! Help...
this is my very first winter with out a 4x4 technically (since last winter i didn't have to drive due to no job...)
Any help would be appreciated from anyone!

Old 10-26-2009 | 04:26 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
AK and RJ, you both mentioned snow tires, Ak what brand are you using?
I am searching for snow tires but not a clue as to waht brand is best! Help...
this is my very first winter with out a 4x4 technically (since last winter i didn't have to drive due to no job...)
Any help would be appreciated from anyone!
Gemmy I just put on some Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grids (195/55-16), they are rated M+S, but NOT with the Mountiain/SnowFlake Symbol, not sure why??!!

Anyway I got them becuase of the Survey Results on TireRack and how people said they do really well in the Rain, remember I'm in the PNW...massive Rainy Winters. We've had our share of snow as well, so we will just have to see how these do in that if we see any this Winter.

In PA where you are I might suggest a Full-On Snow Tire, my Bridgestones are an All-Season.

Good Luck, if I can help more let me know. I also don't know what tire size you want, so let me know that and I can do some research for you. It also depends on how much you want to spend!!

Old 10-26-2009 | 04:51 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I'm running Pirelli Winter Carving tires on my MINI.

Studless winter tires work fairly well (Blizzaks, etc), but I just can't get over how mushy the (dry road) handling becomes with those. For the roads we have here, I'd rather go with high quality M+S studded winter tires.

The Pirellis I'm running now are basically knock-offs of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's (one of the highest rated tires up here), but at a much more reasonable price than the Nokians. I think I may even have pics of the tire/wheel setup in my gallery. I went w/ 15" for additional ride comfort, as well as better traction and considerably cheaper tires/wheels.

My sister decided to spring for some winter tires for her '06 MCS, and went with a similar tire/wheel package, the only difference being that she went w/ the General Altimax Arctics. They are a bit cheaper than the Pirellis, and should be just as good since they are simply a rebranded version of the Gislaved Nordforst 3 (another highly-rated tire w/ the Swedish car community).

If you're looking at getting a set of winter tires, definitely give Alex at TireRack a shout (he's on NAM as well).

Here's a pic of my summer tire (stock 17" Pirelli Eufori) on the left, and my winter tire on the right. Despite being 15", the winter tire is the same height as the summer tire but just a bit narrower for additional winter traction (more pressure per square inch).

Last edited by AKIndiMini; 10-26-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 05:18 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
We start on page 14 of cars and trucks on Saturday the 24th. Maybe this link will work. There will be more that will be posted.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...1&g=0QAK00LU00

I think the funniest thing is that it looks like we were going very slow... but taking the curves actually goes very fast... like 2-3 seconds.
Thanks for the link, 'Ola!

I did some searching and found some more pics of us on pages 67 and 68.

Last edited by HalAC; 10-26-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Corrected pages.
Old 10-26-2009 | 05:22 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
Thanks for the link, 'Ola!

I did some searching and found some more pics of us on these pages.

And

Those links go to the main thumbs page, not the pics! But that's ok...I think we're in the 550+ range and the 2800+ ranges... I think Killboy is up now too!

Old 10-26-2009 | 06:40 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Those links go to the main thumbs page, not the pics! But that's ok...I think we're in the 550+ range and the 2800+ ranges... I think Killboy is up now too!
Corrected the links into page numbers.

Here's the pages from Killboy's site.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...0&g=04RK012205

Pages 11 and 55.

Old 10-26-2009 | 07:48 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Gemmy I just put on some Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grids (195/55-16), they are rated M+S, but NOT with the Mountiain/SnowFlake Symbol, not sure why??!!

Anyway I got them becuase of the Survey Results on TireRack and how people said they do really well in the Rain, remember I'm in the PNW...massive Rainy Winters. We've had our share of snow as well, so we will just have to see how these do in that if we see any this Winter.

In PA where you are I might suggest a Full-On Snow Tire, my Bridgestones are an All-Season.

Good Luck, if I can help more let me know. I also don't know what tire size you want, so let me know that and I can do some research for you. It also depends on how much you want to spend!!
Thanks for the info.... big help.
Hubby has been looking into this also for me but I wanted the opinion of my freebies also. I will copy this and send to him along with AK's response, big help. thanks to both you and AK.
Hubby has stated he liked the brand AK have also.

Old 10-26-2009 | 07:52 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I'm running Pirelli Winter Carving tires on my MINI.

Studless winter tires work fairly well (Blizzaks, etc), but I just can't get over how mushy the (dry road) handling becomes with those. For the roads we have here, I'd rather go with high quality M+S studded winter tires.

The Pirellis I'm running now are basically knock-offs of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's (one of the highest rated tires up here), but at a much more reasonable price than the Nokians. I think I may even have pics of the tire/wheel setup in my gallery. I went w/ 15" for additional ride comfort, as well as better traction and considerably cheaper tires/wheels.

My sister decided to spring for some winter tires for her '06 MCS, and went with a similar tire/wheel package, the only difference being that she went w/ the General Altimax Arctics. They are a bit cheaper than the Pirellis, and should be just as good since they are simply a rebranded version of the Gislaved Nordforst 3 (another highly-rated tire w/ the Swedish car community).

If you're looking at getting a set of winter tires, definitely give Alex at TireRack a shout (he's on NAM as well).

Here's a pic of my summer tire (stock 17" Pirelli Eufori) on the left, and my winter tire on the right. Despite being 15", the winter tire is the same height as the summer tire but just a bit narrower for additional winter traction (more pressure per square inch).

Thanks AK... read my last post to RJ (I haven't figured out how to quote 2 posts at once) but this is what hubby also suggested. Since your in Alaska, that must be a pretty good tire!

Old 10-26-2009 | 08:19 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Hi Gem! Just thought this would be a good time to point out that I don't have any snow tires out here in sunny San Diego.

Old 10-26-2009 | 08:39 PM
miniola
6th Gear

When I first posted the link it went right to the page... then later it didn't. I think the pics on my link were page 14. Maybe they have a sneaky way to know if you are posting links and then they just mess with ya!

Welcome Hal!

Old 10-26-2009 | 08:59 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Hi Gem! Just thought this would be a good time to point out that I don't have any snow tires out here in sunny San Diego.
Har har har har. Way to rub in the warm cozy weather Will!!!

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:13 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Har har har har. Way to rub in the warm cozy weather Will!!!
I thought Virginia was one of those warm "southern" states? You know, with cotton and tobacco and plantations and all.

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:38 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Not a problem gem, glad to offer some advice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My sister just sent pics of her car's winter shoes. I swear she needs to start doing something different w/ her car, as it's starting to look too much like mine.

Thanks AK... read my last post to RJ (I haven't figured out how to quote 2 posts at once) but this is what hubby also suggested. Since your in Alaska, that must be a pretty good tire!

Attached Thumbnails Free Classic Mini...-fall09-045-large-.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-fall09-046-large-.jpg   Free Classic Mini...-fall09-048-large-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009 | 05:33 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Not a problem gem, glad to offer some advice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My sister just sent pics of her car's winter shoes. I swear she needs to start doing something different w/ her car, as it's starting to look too much like mine.
Isn't nice to know your sister has such good taste!!!

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:37 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I thought Virginia was one of those warm "southern" states? You know, with cotton and tobacco and plantations and all.
Don't believe all the hype! Actually, I'm closer to the coast than "most" of VA...so we get all the MOIST weather. It's been chilly, but not as chilly as the mountains were this weekend...I'm sure it's headed this way, though. It wouldn't be so bad...except it's WET chilly weather. Not fun.

Old 10-27-2009 | 01:02 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

You're a riot!

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:10 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
No Gem the Laptop will help her finish off her Senior Year and College next Fall. We each already have Laptops, Hubby's is the newer of the two.

We had a pretty nice day yesterday, but they say RAIN Today, hasn't shown up yet though. A bit on the chilly side, I need to get out and give Molly some TLC Today!!

Hey Cab..did you ever get your Tire situation worked out?? I put those Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grids on Molly last Monday, they are a VERY nice tire, they will be great for our PNW Winters!!
Hey RJ... no, I didn't decide on anything yet. I figure I have a bit more time.. plus did I ever mention that hubby has a pickup truck with 4x4 action? And since he works only part time right now and usually on the weekends and evenings I figure I will use his truck on the bad days. But! If it starts looking like we are getting tons of snow then I will for sure get sloopy some winter boots!!

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:25 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Hey RJ... no, I didn't decide on anything yet. I figure I have a bit more time.. plus did I ever mention that hubby has a pickup truck with 4x4 action? And since he works only part time right now and usually on the weekends and evenings I figure I will use his truck on the bad days. But! If it starts looking like we are getting tons of snow then I will for sure get sloopy some winter boots!!
HUMMMM, good option!
My hubby is usually at work if it is snowing (hospital rules)and i'm on my own to shovel. so don't think I could convince his to swap cars for his trip in... so I had better get some snow boots for Nugget!

How are you feeling Cabby??? Are you around other people again. How's hubby?

Old 10-27-2009 | 06:28 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
sorry for the double post, my computer is about to learn how to fly out windows shortly!

(good fixed the double post with the edit button)

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:13 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
HUMMMM, good option!
My hubby is usually at work if it is snowing (hospital rules)and i'm on my own to shovel. so don't think I could convince his to swap cars for his trip in... so I had better get some snow boots for Nugget!

How are you feeling Cabby??? Are you around other people again. How's hubby?
Gem?? I have been meaning to ask, if you don't mind,, what does your hubby do at the hospital??
And I am much improved and returned to work on Sunday-- I still have a nasty cough,, but that seems to be my weak spot these days...
I swear, I still think this all started last year when Sweet Pete(the dog) was so sick,,, LOL

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:21 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Okay, Uhoh and Ola,,, where are your pictures?? I mean the real pictures that you share with us?? And Hal,, I am so sorry-- I bet you were freaking when I assumed you were going and you were acting like you weren't and all of that....

And back to the weather, has anyone heard the extended forecast? I am thinking (hoping) that it is true and we do get more than the usual amount of snow,,, I really do like snowstorms....!! I mean, how could Uhoh have ever entertained us with her snow Mini if we didn't get some snow????

Ola,, did your trolls "meet" anyone interesting on the road trip??

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:27 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Oh!! And rumor has it that our poor Tnmm got skunked,,,, big time!!
Hopefully she has been able to get rid of most of the smell....

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:37 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
And back to the weather, has anyone heard the extended forecast? I am thinking (hoping) that it is true and we do get more than the usual amount of snow,,, I really do like snowstorms....!! I mean, how could Uhoh have ever entertained us with her snow Mini if we didn't get some snow????
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:40 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Oh!! And rumor has it that our poor Tnmm got skunked,,,, big time!!
Hopefully she has been able to get rid of most of the smell....
oh no, TN - oh sweetie, oh, what to say, oh I don't even know how to comment on this other then while using tomato juice, mix a bloody mary! You deserve it girl!
Hope everything if fixed really quickly for you!!!

Old 10-27-2009 | 07:41 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LMAO---- I guess you don't like snow?? seriously , what is better than a nice snow storm with a fire in the fireplace,, dogs at your feet...having a snow day with no work,,,,ahhhhhhhh. grin---
Sorry Gemmy-- just think about pink sandy beaches,,,,soon you will be fighting a sunburn,,,,!

We are both online again at the same time,,,woohoo!!
But it is time for me to sign off and say nighty nighty!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...