Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009 | 05:32 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hey again!! Neat story here,,,,, I was raised on a horse farm,,, my father trained and drove standardbred horses at a racetrack in Lebanon, Ohio,,,, Uhoh, you probably have been there or know where it is?
Well, early yesterday morning thee was a tragic fire in one of the barns, destroying 43 horses and taking 2 human lives.... just awful.

My dad lost alot of his equipment in a fire there like 30 years ago and I remember his stories about men pulling horses out of their stalls and running them outside only to have the horses break free and run right back into their stalls,,, it was the only place where they felt secure,,,

So, I have felt some sadness since I heard this news,,, it was a tough story to hear..and I just can't shake off the images that come to mind.

So, today, in our development, we had a Holiday Christmas House tour. One of the homes was really awesome- the owner collected all kinds of lead and copper figurines and had them displayed in this little alcove/bar area. Well on one of the shelves was a copper(?) (I think) figurine of a horse and sulky and driver. I admired it and told her that my father was a driver and asked if she remembered whare she got it... and moved on and when I was leaving her home she met me at the door and said "This is a Random Act Of Kindness, I want you to have this" and she presented me with the horse and sulky figurine....

I was speechless( especially since I was croaking like a frog (see above post)
and near tears, her gesture meant so much to me..... so, everyone?? Do you think this was just a coincidence that I spotted that figurine today of all days???

Old 12-06-2009 | 05:43 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
I was speechless( especially since I was croaking like a frog (see above post) and near tears, her gesture meant so much to me..... so, everyone?? Do you think this was just a coincidence that I spotted that figurine today of all days???
Awww... Nope. Kismet? Meant to be. Wow, that's so sad!!...Yes, i've been to the Lebanon Race track.

Old 12-06-2009 | 05:43 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Hia Freebs! The party went pretty well - lots of people and lots of mulled wine! I think most folks just showed up out of curiosity about the house, though. It snowed on a bunch of folks on the way down: I think MD got four inches? I drove up to Manassas (took brother, sister in law up to see Grandma in her new home) and it was pretty, but I'm glad I wasn't there when it came down.

Hope ya'll had a good weekend. I'm off to bed now. It's been a long week.

That is awesome about your party!!! Sure wish we could have attended,,,, I would love to "meet" your house!

Old 12-06-2009 | 05:45 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Oooops, I meant "meet" your house and see you again!!! LOL

Old 12-06-2009 | 07:51 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HalAC
OOHHH NOOOO!

Those words are blaspheme to us pack rats, hoarders, and tinkerers.

I have found that if I throw certain things out, I end up needing that item or items and have to go out a buy a replacement at a higher cost than I bought the original for.
Hal...you must know my Husband!!

Old 12-06-2009 | 08:04 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Hey again!! Neat story here,,,,, I was raised on a horse farm,,, my father trained and drove standardbred horses at a racetrack in Lebanon, Ohio,,,, Uhoh, you probably have been there or know where it is?
Well, early yesterday morning thee was a tragic fire in one of the barns, destroying 43 horses and taking 2 human lives.... just awful.

My dad lost alot of his equipment in a fire there like 30 years ago and I remember his stories about men pulling horses out of their stalls and running them outside only to have the horses break free and run right back into their stalls,,, it was the only place where they felt secure,,,

So, I have felt some sadness since I heard this news,,, it was a tough story to hear..and I just can't shake off the images that come to mind.

So, today, in our development, we had a Holiday Christmas House tour. One of the homes was really awesome- the owner collected all kinds of lead and copper figurines and had them displayed in this little alcove/bar area. Well on one of the shelves was a copper(?) (I think) figurine of a horse and sulky and driver. I admired it and told her that my father was a driver and asked if she remembered whare she got it... and moved on and when I was leaving her home she met me at the door and said "This is a Random Act Of Kindness, I want you to have this" and she presented me with the horse and sulky figurine....

I was speechless( especially since I was croaking like a frog (see above post)
and near tears, her gesture meant so much to me..... so, everyone?? Do you think this was just a coincidence that I spotted that figurine today of all days???
Cab...what a Heart Warming Story!! Sad to hear about the Horses and loss of life, so tragic. But something like that can't be coincidence, you were meant to have that figurine, what it means only time will tell, but keep it close to your heart and remember to re-pay the random act of kindess, it's your turn!!

Cheers everyone...*toasting with a nice WARM mug of Egg Nog and Rum*

Old 12-06-2009 | 09:19 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Cab- The "neat story" started off sad and I was confused. But I'm glad you told it... it was sweet and YES it was meant to be. I love when things are meant to be!

LOVE THIS GUY!!

Oh yeah... and Hal's new name is "Horrible Hal". You want to eat the squirrel?!? Gem's gonna be REAL MAD!!!

UHOH- Glad your party was a fun time! Wish I could've been there.

And I'll contribute a little holiday popcorn!

Hey I miss our little anitan1 friend.

Old 12-07-2009 | 03:23 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
What's wrong with eating squirrel? They're actually quite tasty.

When I was growing up my maternal grandpa was always bring something different for Mom to cook up. Depending on the time of year we had squirrel, opossum, muskrat ( even I didn't like them), rabbit, venison, duck, pheasant, quail, turtle, and all sorts of fish.

Once I moved to Florida I added more types of fish, armadillo, and rattle snake. Also had elk, buffalo, and horse on occasion.

Old 12-08-2009 | 02:13 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
What's wrong with eating squirrel? They're actually quite tasty.

When I was growing up my maternal grandpa was always bring something different for Mom to cook up. Depending on the time of year we had squirrel, opossum, muskrat ( even I didn't like them), rabbit, venison, duck, pheasant, quail, turtle, and all sorts of fish.

Once I moved to Florida I added more types of fish, armadillo, and rattle snake. Also had elk, buffalo, and horse on occasion.

h-h-h-horse on occasion?????? You ARE Horrible Hal!!!

Old 12-08-2009 | 08:54 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Yes, horse meat.

When I was stationed at Keesler AFB, MS back in 75-76 it was legal to serve horse for human consumption. One day for lunch they had steaks on the menu. One selection was beef and the other was horse. I thought what the heck, I'll try the horse. Tasted much like beef, but the muscle fibers were coarser and the fat was a bit yellowish, not white like beef.

Sorry if I upset anyone. But I'm a omnivore. I like my meat and sometimes vegetables.

Old 12-09-2009 | 04:29 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Yes, horse meat.

When I was stationed at Keesler AFB, MS back in 75-76 it was legal to serve horse for human consumption. One day for lunch they had steaks on the menu. One selection was beef and the other was horse. I thought what the heck, I'll try the horse. Tasted much like beef, but the muscle fibers were coarser and the fat was a bit yellowish, not white like beef.

Sorry if I upset anyone. But I'm a omnivore. I like my meat and sometimes vegetables.

Nah,,, you didn't upset us,,, well at least not me!! And hopefully we didn't upset you???

I was busting you because of the timing, since I just wrote my "heartwarming" story about horses..... timing is everything, right??
I actually ate squirrel as a child,,, let's see... squirrel, rabbit, quail, well, as far as I can remember I guess that was it.... but these days?? I wouldn't touch ANY of it.

But I like my "normal' meats too. It is weird, though, ever since my bout with that flu I still can't eat beef,,,,for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me right now...

I like the nick name Horrible Hal,,,maybe we can abbreviate it? HO Hal?? Or Hal the HO??? Which then takes me to Tally HO,,,,
Anyone get that last one???

Ok,,, better stop now,, Good Morning Freebs!! It's a beautiful, soggy, WET day on the East coast!!

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:33 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Cab, you crack me up, babe....

OK...so the Army has decided a YEARLY physical is a "good" thing. However....someone forgot to think through the 2nd and 3rd orders of effect. I agree that when you move to a new assignment, you should already have yours done as part of out-processing -- this is a good idea for checks and balances.... BUT YOU HAVE TO INCREASE YOUR CAPACITY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET EVERYBODY THROUGH!!!! These physicals are no joke -they're long, complicated, and many moving pieces. I did part I today -- and since I had already done a vision test a few months ago, that was only a paper drill...but i STILL had to wait 2.5 hrs to get into the HEARING test, which took all of 10 minutes.

Argh. Today just needs to get over with already!

Old 12-09-2009 | 09:01 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
Oh yeah... and Hal's new name is "Horrible Hal". You want to eat the squirrel?!? Gem's gonna be REAL MAD!!!
OLA's right Hal, how could you?????????? they have a right to live on this planet too!!!

Ok HI all, things have been crazy here in my life, but I just wanted to say I miss you all! be back shortly!
Hope every one is well, and OLA nice lights- you go girl, there is nothing you can't do!!!
love to all ( even Hal)

Old 12-09-2009 | 01:19 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hal - horses tooo??????????

Old 12-09-2009 | 03:20 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Cab, you crack me up, babe....

OK...so the Army has decided a YEARLY physical is a "good" thing. However....someone forgot to think through the 2nd and 3rd orders of effect. I agree that when you move to a new assignment, you should already have yours done as part of out-processing -- this is a good idea for checks and balances.... BUT YOU HAVE TO INCREASE YOUR CAPACITY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE TO GET EVERYBODY THROUGH!!!! These physicals are no joke -they're long, complicated, and many moving pieces. I did part I today -- and since I had already done a vision test a few months ago, that was only a paper drill...but i STILL had to wait 2.5 hrs to get into the HEARING test, which took all of 10 minutes.

Argh. Today just needs to get over with already!

Ahem,,,, well thank you Miss Sarah!!

I know you have posted here about it, but could you please tell us again when you deploy---oops,,, move to Kansas? It is Kansas,,,right??

I feel for you today,,, I hate waiting like that and I can imagine that you are someone who hates waiting -- especially when it is the result of BAD planning,,,, eeesch!

Old 12-09-2009 | 04:27 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Ahem,,,, well thank you Miss Sarah!!

I know you have posted here about it, but could you please tell us again when you deploy---oops,,, move to Kansas? It is Kansas,,,right??

I feel for you today,,, I hate waiting like that and I can imagine that you are someone who hates waiting -- especially when it is the result of BAD planning,,,, eeesch!
We're moving the second week of January. OR, to be more exact, we're starting movement westward the second week of January. Did I mention its 12 degrees in Kansas with 8" of snow today????

Old 12-09-2009 | 04:51 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I'm really wondering what is in Cabby's soda... You're a funny, funny lady there! Sorry about the hearing test X, I have learned to take needlework- knitting, crocheting, kneedlepoint- or a good book, to doctor's offices... I gave up trying to think anyone else worried about a time line...
Hal...<sigh>... horses?! In the US?? And no one was starving??? <sigh... shakes head...> You DO realize I rescue horses from the meat man who's sending them off as steaks to Asia and Europe, right? That I have at least 5 that were destined for someone's plate?
What really worries me is that this was at a state side military base. Which makes me wonder if it's still happening. I can understand if you were in the trenches and had run out of food (i.e., France during WWII) or in a country where it was acceptable... and I am not getting down on you, Hal, for trying it since it was offered. I am really miffed that it was offered. Do you have a time frame here?
OK, Hal, just for your reference- above and beyond the fact that I'm a horse person and rescue horses... you and everyone else SHOULD NOT EAT HORSE MEAT. It is horribly contaminated with medicines, steroids, wormer, etc as it is NOT regulated for human consumption in the United States (and hence all the horse meat in Asia and Europe that comes from the US)... these medications, etc, state on them in big letters DO NOT USE FOR ANIMALS TO BE CONSUMED BY HUMANS. Yet the horses are slaughtered and people eat them. Dangerous stuff.
OK, rant over- sorry... not feeling well and rambling-
stay safe & dry everyone-

Old 12-09-2009 | 05:05 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
We're moving the second week of January. OR, to be more exact, we're starting movement westward the second week of January. Did I mention its 12 degrees in Kansas with 8" of snow today????

I'm so sorry!!! yuck

Old 12-09-2009 | 05:35 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
I'm really wondering what is in Cabby's soda... You're a funny, funny lady there! Sorry about the hearing test X, I have learned to take needlework- knitting, crocheting, kneedlepoint- or a good book, to doctor's offices... I gave up trying to think anyone else worried about a time line...
Hal...<sigh>... horses?! In the US?? And no one was starving??? <sigh... shakes head...> You DO realize I rescue horses from the meat man who's sending them off as steaks to Asia and Europe, right? That I have at least 5 that were destined for someone's plate?
What really worries me is that this was at a state side military base. Which makes me wonder if it's still happening. I can understand if you were in the trenches and had run out of food (i.e., France during WWII) or in a country where it was acceptable... and I am not getting down on you, Hal, for trying it since it was offered. I am really miffed that it was offered. Do you have a time frame here?
OK, Hal, just for your reference- above and beyond the fact that I'm a horse person and rescue horses... you and everyone else SHOULD NOT EAT HORSE MEAT. It is horribly contaminated with medicines, steroids, wormer, etc as it is NOT regulated for human consumption in the United States (and hence all the horse meat in Asia and Europe that comes from the US)... these medications, etc, state on them in big letters DO NOT USE FOR ANIMALS TO BE CONSUMED BY HUMANS. Yet the horses are slaughtered and people eat them. Dangerous stuff.
OK, rant over- sorry... not feeling well and rambling-
stay safe & dry everyone-
Vivi, darling...either you have had too much medicine, or not enough... Hal was in service a LONG time ago (sorry Hal - but it's kinda true!) True, it was a stateside location, but they do NOT do that today...

SO...Now that our "dangers of horsemeat" lesson is (hopefully) over...

Yeah, usually I bring something to do while I wait...except I didn't expect to be waiting THAT long!!! I had almost everything complete, and was assured it would be short. I didn't even bring my coffee in. Did I tell you guys that I got a new mug?? It says, "I haven't had my coffee today. Don't make me kill you."

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009 | 06:23 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Time frame from when I was at Keesler AFB was August 1975 to April 1976.

BTW, I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to food. I've also eaten some varieties of insects and other creepy crawlies.

Old 12-09-2009 | 07:30 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Did I tell you guys that I got a new mug?? It says, "I haven't had my coffee today. Don't make me kill you."

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!!!
I want that coffee mug!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where do i find one? it is a travel mug?

Old 12-09-2009 | 07:32 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

BTW, I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to food. I've also eaten some varieties of insects and other creepy crawlies.
What was that show on a while back about people eating all kinds of gross stuff????
I nominate Hal to do that show!

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:03 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
... Did I tell you guys that I got a new mug?? It says, "I haven't had my coffee today. Don't make me kill you."

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!!!
I think you need to get one of those cups to the Ditch Diva.

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:15 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear

I've eaten Rattle Snake...it kind of tastes like a Dried Sardine, very Salty!! This was in my early 20's, so many many eons ago!!

Old 12-10-2009 | 05:45 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I've had vennison, elk, rabbit, octopus, squid, (and a whole other host of fishies), squirrel, snake, quail, aligator, and probably a lot of other things... what I love is when someone tells me "it tastes like chicken"... in which case I look at them and say, well, why don't I just eat chicken?
Sorry about the rave- we just had a huge horse rescue go on here (over 80 horses) and there are very credible reports of people's pets (children's pets) being stolen for the horse meat industry.... and then that thing down in Miami this past year, where people would come out to find their horse slaughtered in the pasture. <sigh>
sorry I got wiggy on you, Hal!
Oh, and X... Hal's NOT THAT OLD!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...