Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 06:51 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hey RJ thanks for the update on X...

"X SENDING GOOD VIBES AND STARBUCKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!"

RG thanks for the Puppy updates, been too long, Mugen looks really big since you posted a photo last!

Old 12-20-2009 | 08:50 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I received an e-mail this evening from Uh Oh and they got to their destination OK.

Old 12-21-2009 | 07:48 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
GOOD LORD. We made it to Ohio...AFTER 29 HOURS!!! For an 8hr drive.

I haven't driven in snowy weather that crazy in a LONG time. I ended up behind the wheel Saturday for 12 hrs, and once the roads cleared up (near Charleston, WV) Jim finished the drive for 4 hrs...but we were VERY glad we decided to leave Friday night, VERY glad we took the truck instead of the BMW, and VERY glad we stopped where we did. At one point, the jacknifed trucks had blocked the highways and caused jams and pile ups that lasted overnight - we decided to do a few backroads to avoid that. JIM picked the road, NOT me... but it was VERY VERY VERY DRAGON LIKE!!! It would have been loads of fun if I were driving the MINI, and the roads were cleared more than half a lane on each side of the double yellow...oh yeah, and no landslides. I thought Jim's head was going to explode from hanging on to the JC bar, and not screaming like a girl (outwardly - he claims he was screaming the whole time in his head.)

Anyway...we took lots of pictures. I'm pretty sure the roads were supposed to be closed Saturday morning - we were the only ones on them - but we couldn't find a radio station to confirm it, so OH well. WE didn't have problems...it was avoiding everybody else. "Pulling over" wouldn't have done us any good -- between the plows, the drifts, the constant snowfall, and all the stupid drivers, there wasn't anyplace TO pull off!!! I would have had to do some serious off roading over the guardrails. The big drifts you saw on the sides of the road, most likely WEREN'T...they were disabled cars!!!!

Here are some pics:

Here's the link to the album. There was a point on the mountains that the trucks couldn't move...but about 15 of them were in various awkward positions all over the lanes. A plow must've gone through - but WEAVED through the trucks!! It was a semi-truck slolum.

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...r%20Christmas/

Needless to say...it was an adventure. I really hope it clears up by the time we have to head back to VA...and doesn't happen again during the trip westward in a few weeks!!! I'll be driving the MINI with trailer then!!! (Seriously - i don't think the MINI would have had much issue...except for the over-the-hood sized drifts!) There was no real snow here in OH!

((((HUGS FREEBS!!!))) Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-21-2009 | 09:45 AM
miniola
6th Gear
WOW!!! Actually ALMOST makes me want to go out and drive in it! Reminds me of snow that I used to drive in when I lived in Maine. Driving the old bombers through the snow drifts... yeah! Although I would be kinda' scared of hurting the MINI. In Maine when there were storms they didn't officially close roads... they just plowed the primary roads and the secondary roads were just left 'til whenever. It was a "drive at your own risk" mentality.

So did you make this guy when you stopped on the side of the road to pee?

I hope you have a better trip back. The idiots are the worst though. And Jim- we know... you WEREN'T screaming like a girl! Well, not OUTWARDLY anyway! BTW- I LOVE the idea of the semi-truck slalom. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Now as for my DISCO BALL... I am TOTALLY loving it! I think everyone should have one of these. And the best part... I can get my groove on without having to deal with any loser drunk guys! It really is a blast though. I was so giggly... like a kid at Christmas! Been a long time since I felt that. And I don't know how... but it's both invigorating and calming at the same time. Good times.

I hope that everyone has a great Christmas and gets to his/her destinations in one piece. I am trying to get ready for my trip to New Hampshire to see my girls. (Well, my brother's girls... but they will be mine for a few days anyway! ) I'm leaving on Christmas Eve. Big HUGS!

Old 12-21-2009 | 01:22 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Glad to hear you made it to your destination safely, uhoh. Wish I could stay and say more, but I'm out of town and staying with family... Hope you all have a good and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2009 | 03:53 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
**&^%$#@!)(#%$^&*((!!!!!!!!!
I just wrote an incredibly( in my mind, of course) funny note to all of you and I just lost it!! I don't have it in me to try to re write it soo: RG- your dogs are cute, I love the yellow one's sweet face, and you were sweet to give an update on Uhoh traveling -- was kind of like tracking the Mini's "across the pond"
Ola, that is a very very VERY nice ball that you have dear.
Uhoh, sorry you had such on ordeal, you should have stopped at our house, we were right on your way and you could have waited it out!
Darren, Happy b day!! enjoy your visit!
Hal,, you moving details sounded like you have lots of toys!!
Tnny, sorry you got rain,,, I loved this snow storm, it was booooo-tteeeeful
Gemmy did you get as much snow as we did down here?? 2 feet???

trudging away now,,, still muttering and brandishing my hands over my head....

Last edited by cabwy; 12-22-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2009 | 09:47 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
shorts and t-shirts here in florida....today and yester were the exeption....had to wear a pair of jeans..lol

Old 12-22-2009 | 03:51 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
That's awesome Big Norm... I spent th past few days in wool scarves and boots.. but I loved this snow storm,, it was very beautiful and peaceful... a great weekend, in my opinion... but after Christams I would LOVE to be wearing shorts and a t shirt again... and complaining about the heat...

Old 12-22-2009 | 07:30 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Shorts... scarves... ugg boots and parkas- sounds like the standard dress code for winter in San Diego...

Guess what we're expecting for Christmas?! Guess... Just guess...

Nope- you all got it wrong...

Thunderstorms!

Old 12-22-2009 | 07:32 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
X and AK glad you both got to your destinations safely!
Ola a safe trip to you too, and enjoy your girls! Not sure about the looser drunken guys, but no one needs a drunken guy to interfer with your disco ball! enjoy!!!
Cab, you got a foot more then us, we got 1 foot and that was 1 foot too much for me! I HATE SNOW nothing more then an inconvience to me. I'm going to see Big Norm for a while! Another storm supposely coming on Christmas eve.
We are picking up my sister in law tomorrow night at the airport and let the fun begin for the rest of the week!

Old 12-22-2009 | 07:47 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Wow- that's right, I saw that X finally showed up. WOOT! Whadda ride kiddo. Uh, suggestion... when you go to move, come south thru Nashville. If you go thru KY, you're likely to run into snow again... Besides, you need to avoid going straight thru St. Louis- they have some really really really wicked road construction going on (routing peeps all over creation, off the interstates, onto back roads, signage is all catywhumpus... I promise, it's a mess).
Glad you made it- love the truck slalom - What a ride... what a ride... so glad you're safe- Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:36 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Glad you made it safely X: I can't wait to see more pics of your adventures in Snow storms because another one is heading your way!!! :D

cab, gem: Dunno if I remembered to post Lucy's (yellow Lab) story here. I did post it up on my blog. Here's a link so you can read it there. http://randomgemini.com/2009/11/miss-lucy-girl/

Mugen weighs about 60 pounds right now, and is almost 7 months old. He hasn't hit a serious growth spurt yet, but I expect he will end up being about as tall as Lucy and about double her size in terms of muscle. He's gonna be a tank. Large breed dogs grow so fast during their first year... it's amazing to me that I can't even lift him now and just a few months ago, he was sleeping in the crook of my arm.

Old 12-24-2009 | 09:08 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
RG- I love that story about Miss Lucy and she is beautiful! She looks just like my Thistle, same face, but my Thistle is blind in one eye, (come home that way.)
thanks for rescuing her...

Old 12-24-2009 | 09:08 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Merry Christmas to all !!!!!

Save and happy travels to you all!

Old 12-26-2009 | 03:28 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
HAPPY BOXING DAY TO ALL THE FREEBIES!!!

Old 12-26-2009 | 06:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Happy Boxing Day to you as well Hal!! I had heard of Boxing Day before but sadly I had to look it up on Wikipedia...and to my shame...it had nothing
to do with a Ring!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 12-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2009 | 07:00 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Double Post

Old 12-26-2009 | 07:35 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Happy Boxing day to all!
It is a European holiday that many, many years ago the servants and maids would be given the day off from cleaning and waiting, staff were able to wrap and box up presents for their own family's holiday celebrating, hence boxing day!

in a nut shell...

Old 12-28-2009 | 03:49 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hey that's neat,,, Boxing Day, that is.. I never knew either! I always thought is was about fists and blood... ugh.

Merry B3lated Christmas and Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2009 | 06:34 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Morning all.
Hope everyone had a great week!!!
I did!

Next up New years!!! wishing everyone a fantastic 2010!

Old 12-28-2009 | 09:16 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
g'morning freebies. My week off went by entirely too fast! While I'm not overly thrilled to be back in the office, I am quite pleased to be home where I can have my peace and quiet.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 12-30-2009 | 11:28 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Hi AK, looks like you and I are the only ones home this holiday!
I have been having trouble getting and posting lately!

Old 12-30-2009 | 12:35 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Well, I wasn't really 'home' for the holidays, as I was in Anchorage at my sister's place last week. But yeah...seems like everyone has been busy lately...

Old 12-30-2009 | 05:04 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Yup, busy... very very busy... avoiding raindrops, getting horses back in pastures (after they've eaten my garden & fertilized my yard), finding the leak in the fence...
<sigh>
I'm now going to buy myself a new saddle.

Old 12-31-2009 | 05:47 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Well it's new years eve and we are getting snow here in Pa. I have the day off from work! and just cleaning up the house from Christmas, boxes everywhere!!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...