Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 10:09 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I had the 2 Best Dogs a girl could want (one was Mom's, but My Buddy). Tong who we got from a Pet Store back in the 70's was a Chow Chow, this Little Guy (grew up to be a Big Boy) was the Cutest Little Thing, as a Puppy he would do Puppy Things, once when we left our Apt. we put him in the Kitchen with a Gate up so he couldn't get out, we left him a nice White Pillow to sleep on...we came home to find not a Red Puppy but a WHITE one!!

Tramp (my Dog) was the other one, he found US, I was in Middle School, we lived in a Duplex and one day I went out onto the patio to bring in a Load of Towels that were on the porch, guess what I found laying in the Basket of Towels?? Yep, he was laying in them and I didn't even notice until after a bit, he didn't run, didn't try to bite me, he just looked up at me, like I'm here for you to take care of me...and I did!! He was a GodSend really, because those years of Middle School and High School were not my best. I don't like to re-live a lot of my Life, but those two Dogs I think are what pulled me through.

Old 01-17-2010 | 06:03 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Great stories!!! I love it!

Ola, I had some similar stories,,, my son had a chameleon -Clyde- that was a real character. Clyde had the cutest personality-- we would let him roam a bit, like on my indoor palm trees... when winter hit we were having problems finding live flies for him to eat, so my friends would literally catch a fly (like in their attic, those sluggish fat ones,,lol) and bring them over. We would have our hot tea/coffee and sit with Clyde's bowl on the table and wait for him to zap the bug... pitiful, yes? We lived in the country and there wasn't much to do,,,LOL
Then of course, the worst happened,,, I was at work and the kids let Clyde out to roam in the kitchen. They forgot one important thing-- they didn't drain the dishwater, and yep poor Clyde was found floating belly up in the suds... both boys were hysterical and their dad actually said that he tried to do some chest compressions to revive him,,, he knew it was hopeless when on the compression bubbles came out Clyde's mouth...

RJ-- middle school can be so brutal,, glad you had your doggies. I had a horse that got me thru some tough times..

Last edited by cabwy; 01-23-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2010 | 06:16 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Tnmm,,, you have had ALOT of critters in your life... I, too, had that OMG, we are eating him/her!! moment... it is hard to recover from!! sigh

Your mom sounds,,, interesting??

Old 01-17-2010 | 07:38 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I didn't realize there are so many reptile lovers here.

Quite a few years ago I had a regular menagerie. I had two red and one Everglades rat snakes. Also had a pygmy boa.

Along with those I had iguanas, Tokay geckos, Chinese water dragons, glass lizards, old world chameleon, horned lizards, brown basilisk, chuckwalla, and a couple of others I can't remember the names of.

We also had several aquariums of various types of fish. And our first cat, Budd.

Old 01-20-2010 | 07:51 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
HIA FREEBIEEEES!!!

Pets... Hmm...I've had so many over the years. Stoney (doberman), Gypsy (corgi), Pywackit (giant cat!), Brock (German Shepherd), Tessa (Belgian Shepherd), Suda & Mak (cats from Korea)... Actually, mom got Pywackit when I was just two years old. He was a HUGE grey cat - he was about 20lbs, and the size of a medium dog. He used to hang on to my neck like a monkey, and I was his human. He would yell at me every night around 9pm until I went to bed, or if I were out babysitting, he'd yell at dad to go get me. He didn't have front claws, and had eventually lost his front fangs, but was still able to gum a mousie to death!! He was my bestest buddy... And he lived to be about 18yrs old.

Anyway. Gotta go help hubband with moving more stuff. Later kids!!

Old 01-20-2010 | 07:59 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
HI all, love the pet stories, well most of them except for the pets that were dinner!
anyway, as you all know, I love animals, any animal. Always had dogs, cats and hamsters guinea pigs, birds. love them all in their own special way.
My hamster was named Critter. He would escape out of any cage I would put him into and he would wonder around the house to look for me. He never hid, he would just come to me. one time, in the middle of the night he scared the sh** out of me when I found him sleeping on my pillow... he was great. He lived longer then a hamster should.

sorry my story is boring compared to most but that is all I have... other then the stories you have already heard about my current pup!

hope everyone is well, and X wishing you and hubby good luck through the move.

night all...

Last edited by gemgirlpa; 01-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 | 04:43 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Happy Birthday CAB!!!

Old 01-23-2010 | 07:08 PM
miniola
6th Gear
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAB!!!!

Holy crap that's a REALLY long line of dancing lemurs! Just for you Cab!!
(There... fixed it. STILL a LOT of lemurs though. Most I've ever seen I think!)

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:31 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CABBY!!!!!!!!!!

(i really like this guy)

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:38 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
So...speaking of Birthday's...WE should start a Birthday Calendar!!(quoted from RJ)

UhOh 01/06
Julie 02/19 (the "J" in RJKimbell)
Miniola 09/22
Gem 5/23
Cab 1/23

RJ - I found this a brought it back up, added mine and (the obvious) Cabby's.
It's nice to log on and see a bunch of well wishes from friends!

Old 01-24-2010 | 08:13 AM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
So...speaking of Birthday's...WE should start a Birthday Calendar!!(quoted from RJ)

UhOh 01/06
Miniola 09/22
Gem 5/23
Cab 1/23
Hal 11/05
Darren 12/21

RJ - I found this a brought it back up, added mine and (the obvious) Cabby's.
It's nice to log on and see a bunch of well wishes from friends!
Happy Birthday Cabby!

Added mine to the above list.

Last edited by HalAC; 01-25-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added Darren
Old 01-24-2010 | 09:01 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hippo Birdie Two Ewe, Hippo Birdie Two Ewe, Hippo Birdie Two Ewe, Hippo Birdie Two Ewe!

Old 01-24-2010 | 10:27 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
X- THAT IS ADORABLE - I have never seen that before!!!!

Hi Hal, how are you doing??

well today is my finale Thesis day!!! anyone have a song for that?? I need to be finished with this thesis before tomorrow and then just fianl mark ups and BE DONE WITH THIS! UGH

Old 01-24-2010 | 05:52 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hi everybody!!

I am loving all of my birthday good wishes!! I was a very full weekend,, I am sprawled out on the couch trying to recover,,, afraid that at any minute my hubby will have some other bright idea to drag me off to!! LOL

But it was a fun weekend. I really liked my dancing Lemurs and that awesome rockin' disco rat, AND the hippo birdie wishes!!

We went to The Winterthur Estate/Museum and took a couple tours,, it was fascinating. We had a party last night and didn't get home til after 1 am,, Isn't it the best when you can surround yourself with a nice circle of good friends and just hang out and enjoy yourself?? The cold beer that I had didn't hurt any either!! I rarely ever drink anything alcoholic, but I sure felt like I could enjoy one last night...

I like this birthday calendar that is being formed.... that's a good idea!!

Glad to "see" everyone on here.....

Old 01-24-2010 | 07:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Love it, Vivi!! Very cute.

Old 01-24-2010 | 07:22 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
ok so apprentanely I had another one of my brain freezes... (I blame in on all the homework).... Let's try again...

TN I LOVE THAT HIPPO BIRD THING......

Old 01-24-2010 | 08:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
So UhOh tells us about your travels...are you settled?, how's the weather?, can we come visit??!!

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:07 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
So UhOh tells us about your travels...are you settled?, how's the weather?, can we come visit??!!
Travels were little adventures all to themselves at each leg. How about I do a serial about it, like 'Ola? One adventure story a day!

Day 1 - Overview & Day one synopsis: It took the packers/movers three days - two to pack, and one full day to load - all of our stuff. I was very impressed with these guys; very professional job. And we had a LOT of stuff. Anyway, day one of the packers, they usually come early so we had to get up even EARLIER to put the pets in cages/safe spots, and make sure we had whatever we wanted/needed set aside in "safe spots" or "no pack" areas.

Only day 1 was a fiasco. Hubband was hovering on the edge of the stupid zone, comes running back into the house, "The Truck won't work!!!" .....okay...so call the TOW truck!!!! I called the dealership and the towing company -they'd be there in 45 minutes.

Time to get the animals in the cages. The plan was to put the two cats in one of the large dog kennels together, and the kennel inside the "dog room" with the two dogs (everybody got along, and we've done this a bunch of times before, so it wasn't a big deal...supposedly.) Hubband had the male cat, I had the female cat. He decides to THROW the cat into the kennel, and then is so very surprised when the cat comes ZOOMING out between his legs. Ok, fine. I go and get the cat. When I picked him up, the cat - with whom we'd had some serious defication problems, and who was on probation for death row - PEED DOWN MY LEG. For a good two minutes. I was so shocked, I just stood there holding him mid-air until he was done. THen I put him in the kennel, but he decided he did NOT want to go in - and looked like something out of a cartoon, holding on to the sides of the kennel. You know, for an animal without opposing thumbs, he had a DARN good grip!!! He had only rear claws (like velociraptor claws), but he used them - on ME. Three huge gashes in the palm of my hand, and blood everywhere ... along with cat ****.

So when do the movers show up? RIGHT THEN. I had to take them on a tour of the house/our stuff in pee-soaked pants, with blood dripping from my hand. What a day.

Next installment: Day 2 - birthday guest!

Oh yeah, and you guys are ALWAYS welcome for a visit!!! We got here a week ago today, and the house actually looks livable. Well, for a non-neat freak/organizing freak (like me) anyway...

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:13 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Hey there...just thought I'd stop by and say 'hi'.

I've been extremely busy lately, as my MINI started suffering from major electrical gremlins. I found out that the car has some sort of water leak which in turn got the body control module (BC1) wet and was the root source of the gremlins. Spent the past few days gutting out the interior (had to work in between weather holes, as it has been raining or snowing nearly non-stop here). I managed to pull the carpet out tonight, which isn't an easy task, as I'm fairly sure the carpet is the first thing that gets installed inside our cars. The passenger side of the carpet was massively soaked, thanks to the 1"+ of foam padding glued to the bottom of the carpet.

I still have yet to trace the source of the leak - it seems to be coming somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger side A-pillar. Unfortunately, I could not get a single drop to leak inside despite spraying the whole car w/ the garden hose for an hour.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend...

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Holy COW D!! I mean, I know you're happiest puttering in cars, but that is nuts! Can it be a leak from the underside? Have you been driving it in/near puddles? Or can it be a window seal leak? Good luck, kiddo....

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:27 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Oh I'm certainly far from happy when it comes to this - it's to the point where I'm considering getting rid of the car when I get this problem solved.

I haven't been driving it in or near puddles, so I don't think it's a leak from the bottom. The BC1 is bolted behind the passenger side kick panel and it appears to have been dripped on, and it's for this reason that I think the leak is from above. I have a sneaky feeling that the windshield is leaking - and it was replaced under an insurance claim a while back. I'm thinking of contacting USAA to see if there's anything they can do about it.

Old 01-25-2010 | 04:14 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa

UhOh 01/06
Miniola 09/22
Gem 5/23
Cab 1/23
Hal 11/5
TnMimiMama 5/17
Added mine! <yawn> Morning Freebies!

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:41 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
g'morning all. You can add me to the list - 12/21

Old 01-25-2010 | 04:28 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Darren, I tried to add you to the list by editing my previous post, but it doesn't carry on to the posts after mine.

Just quote Tn's post and add yours in her quoted area. Presto! you're on the list.

Old 01-26-2010 | 06:27 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I just went to the original list & quoted it, adding Hal's and my bdays...

Morning Freebies... how's life in the Miniverse?

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...