Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 02:29 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Travels were little adventures all to themselves at each leg. How about I do a serial about it, like 'Ola? One adventure story a day!

Day 1 - Overview & Day one synopsis: It took the packers/movers three days - two to pack, and one full day to load - all of our stuff. I was very impressed with these guys; very professional job. And we had a LOT of stuff. Anyway, day one of the packers, they usually come early so we had to get up even EARLIER to put the pets in cages/safe spots, and make sure we had whatever we wanted/needed set aside in "safe spots" or "no pack" areas.

Only day 1 was a fiasco. Hubband was hovering on the edge of the stupid zone, comes running back into the house, "The Truck won't work!!!" .....okay...so call the TOW truck!!!! I called the dealership and the towing company -they'd be there in 45 minutes.

Time to get the animals in the cages. The plan was to put the two cats in one of the large dog kennels together, and the kennel inside the "dog room" with the two dogs (everybody got along, and we've done this a bunch of times before, so it wasn't a big deal...supposedly.) Hubband had the male cat, I had the female cat. He decides to THROW the cat into the kennel, and then is so very surprised when the cat comes ZOOMING out between his legs. Ok, fine. I go and get the cat. When I picked him up, the cat - with whom we'd had some serious defication problems, and who was on probation for death row - PEED DOWN MY LEG. For a good two minutes. I was so shocked, I just stood there holding him mid-air until he was done. THen I put him in the kennel, but he decided he did NOT want to go in - and looked like something out of a cartoon, holding on to the sides of the kennel. You know, for an animal without opposing thumbs, he had a DARN good grip!!! He had only rear claws (like velociraptor claws), but he used them - on ME. Three huge gashes in the palm of my hand, and blood everywhere ... along with cat ****.

So when do the movers show up? RIGHT THEN. I had to take them on a tour of the house/our stuff in pee-soaked pants, with blood dripping from my hand. What a day.

Next installment: Day 2 - birthday guest!

Oh yeah, and you guys are ALWAYS welcome for a visit!!! We got here a week ago today, and the house actually looks livable. Well, for a non-neat freak/organizing freak (like me) anyway...

Yeee-ow!! That darn cat is skating on thin ice!! LOL Poor little puddy tat, he didn't wanna move!!

Uhoh, when you have a moment you will have to describe the new homestead!

We are looking at some really cold temps,, high winds and a bit of snow,,so I have to ask, OLA, how warm is it there??

Last edited by cabwy; 01-28-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 | 02:34 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Darren,, your leak and the grief you are going through to locate it SUCKS!!

I was rather relieved when you mentioned that you think it might come from the windshield repair/replacement.

My Sloopy went in for her oil change and anniversary check up... the dealership was out of their Mini loaners and I was stuck with a
Toyota Yaris!! I couldn't wait to get my Mini back!!

Old 01-28-2010 | 02:37 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by cabwy
Darren,, your leak and the grief you are going through to locate it SUCKS!!

I was rather relieved when you mentioned that you think it might come from the windshield repair/replacement.

My Sloopy went in for her oil change and anniversary check up... the dealership was out of their Mini loaners and I was stuck with a
Toyota Yaris!! I couldn't wait to get my Mini back!!
Yeah, I've got it narrowed down to the right (passenger) side of the windshield - possibly at the top corner. Still haven't had a chance to call USAA and see how they want me to proceed. Meanwhile - my car's interior is disassembled and large parts of it are in my living room.

Old 01-28-2010 | 02:40 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yeee-ow!! That darn cat is skating on thin ice!! LOL Por litle puddy tat, he didn't wanna move!!

Uhoh, when you have a moment you will have to describe the new homestead!

We are looking at some really cold temps,, high winds and a bit of snow,,so I have to ask, OLA, how warm is it there??
Aw nuts, I forgot to continue the saga. Ah well. It all ends (relatively) well. Unfortunately, that "thin ice" you're talking about was one of the last few straws; kitty is RIP.

The new homestead...I took videos of it, but I haven't taken many "still" photos. It's been WAY too cold - it was 15 degrees this morning, but according to my "weather app" it "felt like" NINE!! Argh. And it's supposed to snow tonight!! The house is very cute. And looking around the areas, we got a DARN fine deal with it! Hopefully we can rent ours in VA out soon. Today was the first day of wandering around getting all our administrative paperwork done. It's kinda cool - I haven't seen some of these people in a decade or more!!

Later Freebs!

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:03 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
NOooooooo!! NO WAY!! WTH???

Uhoh, are you really, seriously going to tell us that the kitty is RIP and then just prance off to get your tongue stuck on something cold out there??? You git on back here and give us the details!! grin

That was all stated with much love and affection,,,, now come-on,, cough up the story!!

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:05 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Yeah, I've got it narrowed down to the right (passenger) side of the windshield - possibly at the top corner. Still haven't had a chance to call USAA and see how they want me to proceed. Meanwhile - my car's interior is disassembled and large parts of it are in my living room.
Darren, that really sucks,, sounds like a real mess....

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:10 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Whoa. So what happened w/ the cat??

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:52 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear

Uhoh, are you really, seriously going to tell us that the kitty is RIP and then just prance off to get your tongue stuck on something cold out there??? You git on back here and give us the details!! grin

That was all stated with much love and affection,,,, now come-on,, cough up the story!!
Ok...well, it wasn't a conclusion I came to lightly. I'd had the two cats since they were four weeks old each while I was in Korea - 11 yrs - and had carted him around the world TWICE! During the past year or so, I realized one of the cats was peeing in various places all over the house...one place of which was my carpeted closet! And no matter what I tried to clean it up, or keep it clean, wipe out the odor, etc..., the perpetrator kept doing it. One of them was also NOT using the litterbox for the ...ah...the more "solid" defication. I wasn't sure which cat, but clues led me to believe it was Mak (the male cat.) When Mak decided to take a "vacation" in our basement -- where I was renovating everything, so no walls, and crawlspaces open in numerous spots -- Everything stayed clean. I then knew it was him... And I then put 2 and 2 together, and realized he had been doing it all along - when I was in Germany, too. Then one day about four months ago, I CAUGHT him "mid-stream" as it were, in my closet. I dragged him to the vet to get checked out medically, to be fair. I've had cats in my past that had this affliction both because of medical reasons, as well as behavioral...the ones that do it because of behavioral reasons have "gone to the DARK side" and there's little to no fixing the problem. The vet immediately started giving me the sob story (which REALLY pisses me off - i am NOT new to the pet-ownership game) and wanted me to give him to someone else who would put up with it. Uh, NO. $300 later, the vet told me he was "healthier than most horses" and this was sadly behavioral. (Her words, not mine.) The cat was a few crayons shy of a full box; he thought he was a dog, he got very upset when the dogs ignored him or he couldn't hang around with the dogs, and he just was NOT a smart animal - if I just let him loose outside the house (with the feral cat colony rampant with feline lukemia??) I really really don't think he would have survived car traffic, much less the very beefy tomcats.

So anyway, the first day of movers and peeing down MY leg was yet one more sign something was not right. When they moved our 500lb gun safe out, they had a fabric pad between the safe and the floor - that was TOTALLY SOAKED and smelled SO bad, i was MORTIFIED!!!! I stopped them halfway out the door so I could cut out the pad so they didn't have to touch it anymore!! The movers came and moved the furniture out, and we stayed at the house on an air cot with some misc stuff we'd need to stay there, and then when we reached KS before the furniture arrived. (Read: camping-like stuff, or what I call a "crash kit.") Once the movers were gone, we had special carpet cleaners come in to do all the carpets - especially in my closet.

While we were camping, we kept the two cats in the master bath suite (bathroom and hubband's closet - no carpets) with three newly-changed, sparkling clean kitty litters. The #$%(* cat BROKE OUT, went into my closet, and did it again. THese were the very final straws. If he'd had a medical condition, that would be partially understandable...but behavioral... No, that's not going to fly. Not when we're trying to rent out our own house, and rentING from other people!!! While I loved my cat dearly, I would have had to cage him up so tightly to prevent any damages done to anyplace, it would NOT have been any kind of quality of life. I wanted to lay him to rest someplace "lasting" (at least to me), and that was at my parent's house in their pet cemetary.

The crazy part of all this was: by the time the final straws snapped the camel's back, we had five days, total, to get all of our business done and our butts out to KS. The vet wanted $200 to put him to sleep, plus another $200-300 to cremate him... but they had specific times to do it (which I couldn't do due to military appointments I couldn't break), and they couldn't garauntee I'd get the ashes back before I left. It sounds crass to boil it down to money, but I have THREE other animals I needed to worry about - they'd been good as gold, but they were under stress too. I would rather spend money on them. Mom also offered us dad's 12yr old cat who is a giant lover...unfortunately, the giant cat was a huge wuss and was deathly afraid of my petite and very quiet female cat (!?!?!?)

My mom's vet (of whom my whole family trusts implicitly - she was a guest at both my wedding AND my brother's!) offered to do it for us for free; she looked over his medical records, and suspected something was mentally wrong with him that the basic labs wouldn't pick up (like a brain anneurism? something like that.) And because mom runs a little dog rescue/rehab, (this sounds really horrible, so get ready) she actually gets a discount at the pet crematorium. So, as long as I could get the live cat home to Ohio (which was a planned stop on the way to KS anyway), it would cost me considerably less than if I'd done it in VA (and I didn't trust those vet people.)

Now that it's just my female cat (Suda) and the two dogs, Suda has completely reverted to the highly sociable, loving, talkative sweetheart of a cat that she used to be...I just didn't realize how much she'd retreated into her shell over the past few years.

So I hope ya'll don't think I'm hard hearted. Ok, I AM hard hearted, but there's method to the madness....

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:32 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
UhOh 01/06
Julie 02/19 (the "J" in RJKimbell)
Miniola 09/22
Gem 5/23
Cab 1/23
Hal 11/5
TnMimiMama 5/17

Darren 12/21

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:34 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear

YEAH WHAT SHE SAID!

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:45 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
WOW, Thanks for the entertaining stories X...
AK so sorry to here about the leak.
Cabby, a toyota! don't accelerate suddenly! (sorry had to throw that in there).

sorry I havn't been here - rough week, my aunt passed away suddenly. the funeral is tomorrow.
My job is going great but tax season is arriving too quickly.
School is over as of tonight, well for 9 weeks anyway. took a semester off. Turned in my thesis tonight after 9 weeks of research!
catch up when i can, miss you all...
oh and OLA how cold is it down there?

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:47 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
OH and AK -

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:50 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Ok...well, it wasn't a conclusion I came to lightly. I'd had the two cats since they were four weeks old each while I was in Korea - 11 yrs - and had carted him around the world TWICE! During the past year or so, I realized one of the cats was peeing in various places all over the house...one place of which was my carpeted closet! And no matter what I tried to clean it up, or keep it clean, wipe out the odor, etc..., the perpetrator kept doing it. One of them was also NOT using the litterbox for the ...ah...the more "solid" defication. I wasn't sure which cat, but clues led me to believe it was Mak (the male cat.) When Mak decided to take a "vacation" in our basement -- where I was renovating everything, so no walls, and crawlspaces open in numerous spots -- Everything stayed clean. I then knew it was him... And I then put 2 and 2 together, and realized he had been doing it all along - when I was in Germany, too. Then one day about four months ago, I CAUGHT him "mid-stream" as it were, in my closet. I dragged him to the vet to get checked out medically, to be fair. I've had cats in my past that had this affliction both because of medical reasons, as well as behavioral...the ones that do it because of behavioral reasons have "gone to the DARK side" and there's little to no fixing the problem. The vet immediately started giving me the sob story (which REALLY pisses me off - i am NOT new to the pet-ownership game) and wanted me to give him to someone else who would put up with it. Uh, NO. $300 later, the vet told me he was "healthier than most horses" and this was sadly behavioral. (Her words, not mine.) The cat was a few crayons shy of a full box; he thought he was a dog, he got very upset when the dogs ignored him or he couldn't hang around with the dogs, and he just was NOT a smart animal - if I just let him loose outside the house (with the feral cat colony rampant with feline lukemia??) I really really don't think he would have survived car traffic, much less the very beefy tomcats.

So anyway, the first day of movers and peeing down MY leg was yet one more sign something was not right. When they moved our 500lb gun safe out, they had a fabric pad between the safe and the floor - that was TOTALLY SOAKED and smelled SO bad, i was MORTIFIED!!!! I stopped them halfway out the door so I could cut out the pad so they didn't have to touch it anymore!! The movers came and moved the furniture out, and we stayed at the house on an air cot with some misc stuff we'd need to stay there, and then when we reached KS before the furniture arrived. (Read: camping-like stuff, or what I call a "crash kit.") Once the movers were gone, we had special carpet cleaners come in to do all the carpets - especially in my closet.

While we were camping, we kept the two cats in the master bath suite (bathroom and hubband's closet - no carpets) with three newly-changed, sparkling clean kitty litters. The #$%(* cat BROKE OUT, went into my closet, and did it again. THese were the very final straws. If he'd had a medical condition, that would be partially understandable...but behavioral... No, that's not going to fly. Not when we're trying to rent out our own house, and rentING from other people!!! While I loved my cat dearly, I would have had to cage him up so tightly to prevent any damages done to anyplace, it would NOT have been any kind of quality of life. I wanted to lay him to rest someplace "lasting" (at least to me), and that was at my parent's house in their pet cemetary.

The crazy part of all this was: by the time the final straws snapped the camel's back, we had five days, total, to get all of our business done and our butts out to KS. The vet wanted $200 to put him to sleep, plus another $200-300 to cremate him... but they had specific times to do it (which I couldn't do due to military appointments I couldn't break), and they couldn't garauntee I'd get the ashes back before I left. It sounds crass to boil it down to money, but I have THREE other animals I needed to worry about - they'd been good as gold, but they were under stress too. I would rather spend money on them. Mom also offered us dad's 12yr old cat who is a giant lover...unfortunately, the giant cat was a huge wuss and was deathly afraid of my petite and very quiet female cat (!?!?!?)

My mom's vet (of whom my whole family trusts implicitly - she was a guest at both my wedding AND my brother's!) offered to do it for us for free; she looked over his medical records, and suspected something was mentally wrong with him that the basic labs wouldn't pick up (like a brain anneurism? something like that.) And because mom runs a little dog rescue/rehab, (this sounds really horrible, so get ready) she actually gets a discount at the pet crematorium. So, as long as I could get the live cat home to Ohio (which was a planned stop on the way to KS anyway), it would cost me considerably less than if I'd done it in VA (and I didn't trust those vet people.)

Now that it's just my female cat (Suda) and the two dogs, Suda has completely reverted to the highly sociable, loving, talkative sweetheart of a cat that she used to be...I just didn't realize how much she'd retreated into her shell over the past few years.

So I hope ya'll don't think I'm hard hearted. Ok, I AM hard hearted, but there's method to the madness....
UhOh...BIG Hugs...as sad as that story is it sounded like it needed to be done.

Mom just lost one of her 4-legged brood last Sunday too, Rowdie (my Little Watermellon, as I called her) was a Deer Chiuaua the size of a Personal Waterellon...no kidding, and the absolute sweetest thing, until you tried to take something from her bed. She was muched loved and my Mom was heart broken to have to put her to sleep, but the seizures were getting to much for my Mom to bare.

Old 01-29-2010 | 09:22 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Morning Freebies, It's SNOWING here (and I'm doing my Snoopy Happy Dance). Kids' schools are closed and it's coming down hard

Gemmy, I'm sorry about your aunt. That's really sad. RJ, I'm sorry about your mom's pup. Big hugs going out to RJ and Gem.

Uhoh... Thank you for your story about your cat. I know that wasn't an easy thing to do. But I believe you are right, and don't blame you a bit to take your cat to your Mom's vet... Makes a lot of sense. But I really appreciated your story as I have a cat who's got similar issues. Murf was born into my hands as I mid-wifed his mother. He's been my constant companion, comes when called, talks to me (even on the phone- David will put his phone on Speaker when I call, and I can talk to Murf and he answers). About 8 years ago, he got lost in the house while we were building it. We didn't know he was over here and thought, instead, we had a raccoon living in the house. We caught him in a Hav-a-heart trap. He was a bit traumatized from that. A year later, when we'd moved into the house, he disappeared again on a very hot summer day. We found him about 8 hours later, close to death in the woods, covered in flies. A million dollars later (it was a Sunday and we had to take him to the emergency clinic), he survived, but had had a stroke in the process and has never been right since.
Even before the stroke and the hav-a-heart incident, Murf had a tendency to pee in the very large house plants. But that was not abnormal to me as most of my house cats seemed to like to pee in plants. But about 2 years ago, we started finding pee puddles and dried pee in corners of the house. We've been to the vet, and basically is "behavioral" ~ luckily no carpets~ so we clean, mop, use the enzymes and even use the expensive spray and plug in ***** filled with (brain dead, insert word here, pheremones, that's it). We're ok if we can get him outside for the night and most of the day, but with the weather so cold, even tho he's got an insulated cat house, I don't feel right leaving him out.
He's 14 yrs old, is about 22 pounds, is the size of a small dog, and he barks at the deer. He doesn't like the dogs but is in love with one of our other cats. I mean really in love... they have, uh, sex every night. They're both fixed. They've been doing it for years. They curl up together on the sofa and snuggle. That is if he's not curled up with me ... If I'm laying down on the sofa, he stretches his body out and lays up against me and PURRRRRRRRSSSSSSS...
He's otherwise healthy. I am at whits end, as I can't bring myself to put him down, but this peeing stuff has got to stop. And to read your story, I know it's going to have to happen eventually...
<sigh>
I think I'm going to go hug my boy now...

Old 01-29-2010 | 10:55 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
((((((( BIG hugs everybody. )))))))

Boy, this new year had BETTER improve!!

Old 01-29-2010 | 11:23 AM
Diablo05
1st Gear
Anyone have the cliff's notes version of this story? Read the first 10 pages but don't feel like reading all 292 pages

Old 01-29-2010 | 11:53 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diablo05
Anyone have the cliff's notes version of this story? Read the first 10 pages but don't feel like reading all 292 pages
The Secret will not be given away!! You must do your Homework and continue the Saga as we all have!!

Good Luck!!

Old 01-29-2010 | 11:57 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I wish I could understand why Fridays are just as horrid as Mondays in the office...

Old 01-29-2010 | 12:43 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diablo05
You could read every 5th page... and if there was something that you didn't understand, you would know that you only had to go back 5 pages...

But that would be cheating

Old 01-29-2010 | 01:23 PM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
Man, this thread is still going on?

Old 01-29-2010 | 01:40 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
We have four cats that have been indoors all their lives. They range in age from about 10.5 years to 12.5 years.

Fester is one of our Bengals and about a year ago started to pee on various places in the house. We had our local vet look him over but could not find anything medically wrong with him. They suggested we go to Dr. Woody at the Animal Health Center in Franklin, TN.

He did a good check up on Fester and found nothing either. But he suggested that we try Feliway spray and diffusers. They had used them in their boarding area with very good results.

We ordered some off the internet and after setting the diffusers up Fester's peeing problem disappeared. Only if we open the windows for an extended period of time does he want to take up his bad habits again.

Old 01-29-2010 | 04:04 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I've been using the Feliway... with varied results. I may try getting MORE diffusers... they're so bloody expensive, but if that is what it takes, then so be it. Thanks Hal!

Old 01-29-2010 | 04:51 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by qskapunk

No... this is just a figment of your imagination!

(giggle)

<waves hi>

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:50 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by qskapunk

Yes! gsk--- and I love your signature.... is your name a reference to Glaxo?

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:54 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Ok,, I really should be in bed but wanted to reply here first so here goes

Vivu?? How many inches?

Gemmy- glad to hear you are surviving! And sorry to hear about your loss..

Uhoh-- OMG I am so in your corner,, I love love love my pets but I als am a farm girl and I think what you did was totally the best thing for everyone!!
And of course Ohio was the perfect solution!!

Hi Hal,,, just how expensive ARE those diffusers??
RJ-- please telll your mommy that your NAM firend send their condolences??

nighty night!!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...