Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011 | 11:58 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I hope my fellow Freebies had a wonderful Christmas! Have a Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2011 | 10:13 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Happy New Year Darren and to all of my Freebie Family!!

Old 12-31-2011 | 07:53 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Happy New Year to all my Freebie Family as well! Be safe and well ~

Old 01-13-2012 | 10:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Here's a Happy Ending Freebies!!

I had to share this...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3433980

No BAD Apples here!!

Old 01-14-2012 | 07:37 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Wow- that's fantastic! Nice to see a MINI go to a good home.
How ya doing, RJ?

HI there Freebies!!!

Old 01-14-2012 | 08:45 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I had to share this...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3433980

No BAD Apples here!!
That poor car! I'm glad it's going to find a second life.

Old 01-14-2012 | 06:54 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Wow- that's fantastic! Nice to see a MINI go to a good home.
How ya doing, RJ?

HI there Freebies!!!
Doin' great TNMiniMama, how's things in your neck of the woods??!!

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
That poor car! I'm glad it's going to find a second life.
X uh oh X, it may be a Sad MINI now, but the New Owner is going to make it all better!!

Old 03-11-2012 | 12:19 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
OK Freebies, today when I looked and saw this Thread had tumbled to pg. 2 I wanted to come on and wake everybody up. Little did I know that I'd be doing that right now and not for the FUN of it!!

I'm having to send Molly 21mi. from home tomorrow, she's having to be Flatbedded to MINI of Portland!!

After all of our errands today, we were on our last leg and noticed that the Heat was blowing COLD air, so after we got home and unloaded the groceries I went out and was getting ready to set up my Garmin to read the OBD Codes, we heard no Warning "Bong" today mind you. Well before I had everything set up I popped the hood and L@@KED...NO Coolant??!!

I'm very upset and stressed right now...I need my Freebie Family to help me get through this, I knew you would be the ones who would understand what I'm going through.

I feel like I've hurt Molly in some way, my Husband says, "it's not like a Boulder came and crushed her!!" And that's supposed to make me feel better how??!!

Old 03-11-2012 | 04:45 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Good Golly Miss Molly!!!! Oh noes....

RJ sorry to hear this- and you did nothing wrong! sometimes these things happen and she goes to the shop they will fine the cause and fix her right up.

please keep us informed....

hope everyone is great and enjoying life!

Old 03-11-2012 | 08:31 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Optimistic - not to worry too much abt Molly

2005 MCS here, wif 118,000 on the clock.
The "expansion tank" is a popular culprit/way for coolant to exit the car, slowly gradually over time. I had mine replaced (after similar symptoms (and the same exact feelings of total "what did i do wrong" guilt) late last year.
The tank's seam leaked, the CAP leaked (bizaarrre!) and the place where the return hose (not the drain) attached to the tank, was questionable as well... New tank new clamps etc, everything's been great since.
Not if but when, they replace the tank, I'd be curious what MINI bills you.

My guy did it for less than $215 (and that INcludes tax, plus the stupid-high cost of the replacement tank which was like $95 (for basically a stinkin' plastic jug!) and $12.50 for anti-freeze, if i remember..).

Good Luck - (clinton voice: "Ahh Feeel Ur paiin").
Tatt

Old 03-11-2012 | 10:37 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OK Freebies, today when I looked and saw this Thread had tumbled to pg. 2 I wanted to come on and wake everybody up. Little did I know that I'd be doing that right now and not for the FUN of it!!

I'm having to send Molly 21mi. from home tomorrow, she's having to be Flatbedded to MINI of Portland!!

After all of our errands today, we were on our last leg and noticed that the Heat was blowing COLD air, so after we got home and unloaded the groceries I went out and was getting ready to set up my Garmin to read the OBD Codes, we heard no Warning "Bong" today mind you. Well before I had everything set up I popped the hood and L@@KED...NO Coolant??!!

I'm very upset and stressed right now...I need my Freebie Family to help me get through this, I knew you would be the ones who would understand what I'm going through.

I feel like I've hurt Molly in some way, my Husband says, "it's not like a Boulder came and crushed her!!" And that's supposed to make me feel better how??!!
Originally Posted by tattman23
The "expansion tank" is a popular culprit/way for coolant to exit the car, slowly gradually over time. I had mine replaced (after similar symptoms (and the same exact feelings of total "what did i do wrong" guilt) late last year.
The tank's seam leaked, the CAP leaked (bizaarrre!) and the place where the return hose (not the drain) attached to the tank, was questionable as well... New tank new clamps etc, everything's been great since.

My guy did it for less than $215 (and that INcludes tax, plus the stupid-high cost of the replacement tank which was like $95 (for basically a stinkin' plastic jug!) and $12.50 for anti-freeze, if i remember..).

Tatt
Great rundown, tattman!

RJK: Molly is where she's going to get help, which should be a little comforting. Unless you routinely check all of your fluids personally, there was no way of preventing this. Heck, even if you DID check, you might have only identified the problem a little earlier. (Yeah, the "boulder" thing probably wasn't quite so appropos...but give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt: he doesn't own a MINI, he might not understand quite so much...)

Hope Molly gets better soon!

Old 03-12-2012 | 10:30 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Ugh. I had the same thing happen to my MINI just after I bought it. Fortunately, no damage was done and it was all covered under warranty. I've been paranoid ever since and routinely pop the bonnet to do a quick inspection EVERY time I fuel up. Go figure, I haven't caught anything (other than low washer fluid) ever since I started doing that.

My sister's MINI ran low on coolant. This happened shortly after she bought hers. In her case, it wasn't the bottle - it was the thermostat housing. It warped when the engine heated up and leaked the coolant out rather quickly. The temperature gauge went from normal (dead middle of the gauge) to pegged out literally in a matter of seconds. There was never any "check engine" light or any codes on her car, so don't feel bad that you didn't get to scanning for OBDII codes - it's likely that your car wouldn't have had any.

This probably won't help much, but try not to stress out about it too much. There's not a whole lot you could have done about it short of being a paranoid freak about fluid levels like I am. Molly's at a place where she'll get the help she needs. I've heard plenty of good things about the dealership in Portland, if that makes you feel better...

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:13 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
My Freebie Family totally ROCKS!!

Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
Good Golly Miss Molly!!!! Oh noes....

RJ sorry to hear this- and you did nothing wrong! sometimes these things happen and she goes to the shop they will fine the cause and fix her right up.

please keep us informed....

hope everyone is great and enjoying life!
Looks like the Primary Water Pump went BAD!! She's getting all fixed up now!!

Originally Posted by tattman23

Tatt
Thanks Tattman23!! It was the primary water pump and Molly is still under Warranty for another 37 days so I doubt I will see any $$ on the Bill. We had a MINI Club Event yesterday, started off the Run Season at an Indoor GoKart Race Track, we got there a bit late because I went to MoP and filled out the NiteDrop Paperwork. Just to give you an idea, I talked with a fellow MINIac who happens to be a Certified MINI Mechanic, he said the Water Pump was highly likely the failure and $1400 would be a good guesstement on repairs.

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Great rundown, tattman!

RJK: Molly is where she's going to get help, which should be a little comforting. Unless you routinely check all of your fluids personally, there was no way of preventing this. Heck, even if you DID check, you might have only identified the problem a little earlier. (Yeah, the "boulder" thing probably wasn't quite so appropos...but give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt: he doesn't own a MINI, he might not understand quite so much...)

Hope Molly gets better soon!
x uh oh x, you always know how to cheer me up...it's them silly SMILEYS!!
Checking on Saturday with a Flashlight was easy, on Sunday I tried to get off the Expansion Bottle Cap, it wouldn't budge, unless I just forgot how to unscrew something??!! So I just left it alone!!

Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Ugh. I had the same thing happen to my MINI just after I bought it. Fortunately, no damage was done and it was all covered under warranty. I've been paranoid ever since and routinely pop the bonnet to do a quick inspection EVERY time I fuel up. Go figure, I haven't caught anything (other than low washer fluid) ever since I started doing that.

My sister's MINI ran low on coolant. This happened shortly after she bought hers. In her case, it wasn't the bottle - it was the thermostat housing. It warped when the engine heated up and leaked the coolant out rather quickly. The temperature gauge went from normal (dead middle of the gauge) to pegged out literally in a matter of seconds. There was never any "check engine" light or any codes on her car, so don't feel bad that you didn't get to scanning for OBDII codes - it's likely that your car wouldn't have had any.

This probably won't help much, but try not to stress out about it too much. There's not a whole lot you could have done about it short of being a paranoid freak about fluid levels like I am. Molly's at a place where she'll get the help she needs. I've heard plenty of good things about the dealership in Portland, if that makes you feel better...
AkIndiMini, Thank you!! I know my SA personally so having him taking care of Molly right now is helping ease my fears...now to get her back and be MOTORING again!! What more could a Girl ask for??!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 03-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2012 | 08:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Check Up

Since my Freebie Family helped me get through my Heart Surgery, can you believe it has been 2yrs., I thought I would update you on my check up yesterday with my Cardiologist. My BP and Blood Work looked good, I just need to get back to excercising again and try and lose some weight. Hubby and I are seeing a Nutritionist on Monday, so hopefully we will get serious about what we are eating, he's the Chef in the Family and likes Red Meat way to much IMO!!

I L@VE my Freebie Family!!

Old 03-30-2012 | 04:51 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
WOOHOO, RJ, I'm doing the Snoopy Happy Dance for you! That's fantastic news. Let me know if you need recipes- don't know what kind of regiment Nutritionist is going to do to you, often it's lifestyle changes... some good, some horrific, but you're amazing and can do anything. A simple thing would be to increase your water intake (like a glass of room temp water in the AM before you eat/drink anything- or even slightly warm water with lemon juice- and then throughout the day- especially before eating). ((((HUGS)))))

Old 03-30-2012 | 11:03 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
RJ glad to hear that everything checked out just fine and dandy with your cardiologist! I've tried the water intake thing TN just mentioned and I'm glad to say that it worked for me - I shed 10lbs in a matter of a few weeks just doing that, with no other changes to my lifestyle.

Old 03-30-2012 | 11:57 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
WOOHOO, RJ, I'm doing the Snoopy Happy Dance for you! That's fantastic news. Let me know if you need recipes- don't know what kind of regiment Nutritionist is going to do to you, often it's lifestyle changes... some good, some horrific, but you're amazing and can do anything. A simple thing would be to increase your water intake (like a glass of room temp water in the AM before you eat/drink anything- or even slightly warm water with lemon juice- and then throughout the day- especially before eating). ((((HUGS)))))
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
RJ glad to hear that everything checked out just fine and dandy with your cardiologist! I've tried the water intake thing TN just mentioned and I'm glad to say that it worked for me - I shed 10lbs in a matter of a few weeks just doing that, with no other changes to my lifestyle.
YEAH, what THEY said (especially the Snoopy Happy Dance.) The only problem with the water thing: if you're already doing it, it's not going to show up so significantly as AK's improvement. *sigh. I have to go to further extremes. But YAY for YOU!!! (I'm at work and can't access my normal smilies - something about the Army not liking you to play online during work hours...too bad my "work hours" consume most of my life...)

Old 03-30-2012 | 12:11 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Since my Freebie Family helped me get through my Heart Surgery, can you believe it has been 2yrs., I thought I would update you on my check up yesterday with my Cardiologist. My BP and Blood Work looked good, I just need to get back to excercising again and try and lose some weight. Hubby and I are seeing a Nutritionist on Monday, so hopefully we will get serious about what we are eating, he's the Chef in the Family and likes Red Meat way to much IMO!!

RJ! Since I've been a member here for just a year I had no idea!! So glad all is working out for you!! Between a healthier diet and some exercise you will feel sooo good!! I recently shed 80 lbs. And look at it this way, less weight in Molly, the better MPG's she'll get!! Feel better!! Keep us posted, Sweetie!

Old 03-30-2012 | 09:40 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
You guys can't do this to me...I'm reading all of your "You Go Girl!!" messages at work today and I'm !!

Giggles, sweetie...I know you didn't know, it's ok really!!

((((((((((HUGS))))))))) to you all and Thank You!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2012 | 08:46 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Good News Short Lived...

Hiya Freebies!!

Well I got a call yesterday that almost gave me a Heart Attack. It was the scheduling dept. of my Cardiologist's Office, it appears that I am going to have to have CTAs of the Chest Annually...UGGGHHHH!! The Heart Attack was from how they delivered the news, scheduling called first before I heard from my Dr. or her PA, so needless to say I was a bit worried especially since I didn't even have an EKG in her office. When I called back to confirm I was told that it was my Thoracic Heart Surgeon that has requested this test be done yearly. However, I do have 3 prescriptions I will need to take prior to the procedure for prevntion of an Allergic Reaction, not pleased at all about this!!

So there you have it a good report (so far), but I will need further diagnostics!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 10-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2012 | 09:13 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Hiya Freebies!!

Well I got a call yesterday that almost gave me a Heart Attack. It was the scheduling dept. of my Cardiologist's Office, it appears that I am going to have to have CTAs of the Chest Annually...UGGGHHHH!! The Heart Attack was from how they delivered the news, scheduling called first before I heard from my Dr. or her PA, so needless to say I was a bit worried especially since I didn't even have an EKG in her office. When I called back to confirm my Pharmacist I was told that it was my Thoracic Heart Surgeon that has requested this test be done yearly. However, I do have 3 prescriptions I will need to take prior to the procedure for prevntion of an Allergic Reaction, not pleased at all about this!!

So there you have it a good report (so far), but I will need further diagnostics!!
Sorry to hear this J! No "procedure" is fun, but if it will find things BEFORE they become a huge problem, then you can hopefully find some peace of mind. We ALL wish you well, and appreciate you keeping us updated! My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Hang in there!

Old 04-07-2012 | 08:57 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Oh RJ.. what a bummer. But look on the bright side ~ at least this is just to keep an eye on you, not to figure out why you're sick. And the other bright side? It could be a colonoscopy you have to have every year (ICK).
Sorry, I know this isn't funny, but I do want you to have a good point of view going into this. Let me know if I can do anything, from all the way here in Nashvegas.

In other news... I am having fun with Easter on FaceBook. A friend posted a pix of some babies' behinds all painted up like Easter eggs & it says "Happy Keester"- tee hee hee...

Dance like no one is watching, my friends!

Old 05-12-2012 | 09:32 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
I'll take it!! I'm not to late am I?

Old 05-12-2012 | 09:34 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
I'll take it!! I'm not to late am I?

Aw, hon, you're about four years and mucho drama too late. But we're still cool people and it's still a cool thread.

Old 05-12-2012 | 10:15 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
i just sat thru the first 20 pages waiting to see some pictures of it. there were none. just lots and lots of 80s music vids -__-

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...