Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 05:47 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gemgirl I am trying to catch up a bit here, I think I agree that you wouldn't want to pidgeonhole your Nugget into one color. I also think that the SS is cool with it's chameleon like shading. But I did actually like Skillet's pics of the black edged in gold.......

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:19 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dex05S
Thanks Chubby.. I could see all three just fine (not wanting to give it away). I actually have one of the books in my "reading room" right now.
Originally Posted by miniola
Really?

How about you "pm" me the answer.
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Here are the hints:
The one with the MINI logo is the random dot picture.
If you click one of the thumbnails, it opens to the image you should see.

Except that it won't be 3-D (still wonder how it achieves the effect )

By using a pair of reading glasses, images were seen a lot easier,
but could only hold the 'out-of -focus' image for a few seconds
when 'pulled away' with other items in vision.

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:20 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Martha Mini:

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:20 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Okay all of you Free Classic Mini'ers...
Here is a link to more of Sloopy's photo shoot on her first day away from Dealership. I love her more and more with every mile driven!!

http://reefdancer.smugmug.com/galler...48090953_ZsDU3
Beautiful, just beautiful!

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:29 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Gemgirl I am trying to catch up a bit here, I think I agree that you wouldn't want to pidgeonhole your Nugget into one color. I also think that the SS is cool with it's chameleon like shading. But I did actually like Skillet's pics of the black edged in gold.......
thanks for your opinion, I agree with you, minicooperwill and skillet...(and thank you all for you help). I have decided on the wide black with white trim to match my seats and black top.

So with this said, i had mentioned many pages back i never realized that stripes came with one of the many packages i ordered...
I contacted Otto's and explained the situation and I would like the stripes.
With Chad at Otto's just sent me an email and said no problem!!! It has been 6 months since I purchased Nugget and she will now be getting her stripes thanks to Chad and Holly at Otto's...They rock!

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:30 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Chameleon Color

Gemgirl I am trying to catch up a bit here, I think I agree that you wouldn't want to pidgeonhole your Nugget into one color.
I also think that the SS is cool with it's chameleon like shading. But I did actually like Skillet's pics of the black edged in gold.......
Guilding a Lily!

Chameleon for sure, Pepper White (my second favorite MINI color) I get,
but the Silver goes from White to Blue on reefdancer

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:52 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
thanks for your opinion, I agree with you, minicooperwill and skillet...(and thank you all for you help). I have decided on the wide black with white trim to match my seats and black top.

So with this said, i had mentioned many pages back i never realized that stripes came with one of the many packages i ordered...
With Chad at Otto's just sent me an email and said no problem!!! It has been 6 months since I purchased Nugget and she will now be getting her stripes thanks to Chad and Holly at Otto's...They rock!
Yay for Chad and Holly! And Yay for you and Nug! Be sure to post those pics as soon as its done (which just might be before a classic mini gets photographed).

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:06 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Why Some People Cannot See Hidden Stereogram Images
by Jason Weekley A.B.O.C., L.D.O.
The basic principle behind a stereogram depends on the ability for a person to merge multiple objects into one. There are many factors that could inhibit a person's ability to see the object hidden beneath the initial surface. As an example....place your thumbs and index fingers together in the shape of a triangle, and find an object in the distance to look at through the triangle. It must be a distant object! independently close one eye, then the other....you will notice that you were only able to see the complete object through one eye without moving the triangle. This concept is called eye dominance. Sometimes the brain will shut off one eye, and rely on the dominant eye, if the object to be viewed doesn't come in focus. There are many people who need corrected vision that don't realize it because of the human ability to adapt.
Another possible cause is convergence. At close range (12-18 inches), your eyes converge an average of 3mm...but this is not so for everyone. Just as you have a dominant eye for distance, you will also have a dominant eye for near. After years of depending on one eye to do the majority of the work, you can depend less on convergence and adaptability. By allowing your eyes to relax, and blur....you attempt to overide your brain's intent, and allow both eyes to be equally dysfunctional. Thus, images begin to overlap and the muscles that control your eyes are less likely to fix at the same point that they normally would. The same people that have problems crossing their eyes...even a little...will have the greatest frustration when attempting to view stereograms.
Other conditions such as esophoria and esotropia can cause the eye to move inwards...(commonly called a lazy eye), and exophoria and exotropia (a tendency for an eye to shift toward the temple), will have an impact. I would suggest that people could adjust their distance from the stereogram and have a greater rate of success. A distance that works for the majority, doesn't always work for everyone. And last but not least...I would enjoy the statistics relating the ability of a person to see stereograms with regard to their profession. Analytical/Artistic mindset?

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:15 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
I've got a less technical reason. Some people on this thread have drunk too many beers. Anybody keeping track of how many bottles are left on the wall?

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:16 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
So what happens if you do that thumbs/forefingers/triangle thing, and you don't HAVE a dominant eye??? I shoot my bows with my left, and I shoot pistols and rifles with my right. Based on previous posts, I must be one of the crazies, since I can see the 3d things almost right away. But *sigh* no surprise there.

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:29 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gemgirl,,, Re: your stripes: Congratulations!! I think we chose a great dealership black with white trim will really look gooooood. FWIW they did a great job putting my bonnet stripes on Sloopy.

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:31 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Is anyone else watching Ohio State vs. Texas?? Hang on Sloopy!!

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:36 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Is anyone else watching Ohio State vs. Texas?? Hang on Sloopy!!
Yes - hubby is making me. But I thought of you first when I heard that song!

Old 01-05-2009 | 07:51 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Yes - hubby is making me. But I thought of you first when I heard that song!

Ohio State better pull it together, Texas is leading by 11 now.

Old 01-05-2009 | 08:01 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Martha Mini:
That's cute!

Old 01-05-2009 | 08:02 PM
miniola
6th Gear

Yeah! It will look nice matching with your contrast piping on the seats.

Old 01-05-2009 | 08:08 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
The basic principle behind a stereogram depends on the ability for a person to merge multiple objects into one. There are many factors that could inhibit a person's ability to see the object hidden beneath the initial surface. As an example....place your thumbs and index fingers together in the shape of a triangle, and find an object in the distance to look at through the triangle. It must be a distant object! independently close one eye, then the other....you will notice that you were only able to see the complete object through one eye without moving the triangle. This concept is called eye dominance. Sometimes the brain will shut off one eye, and rely on the dominant eye, if the object to be viewed doesn't come in focus. There are many people who need corrected vision that don't realize it because of the human ability to adapt.
Another possible cause is convergence. At close range (12-18 inches), your eyes converge an average of 3mm...but this is not so for everyone. Just as you have a dominant eye for distance, you will also have a dominant eye for near. After years of depending on one eye to do the majority of the work, you can depend less on convergence and adaptability. By allowing your eyes to relax, and blur....you attempt to overide your brain's intent, and allow both eyes to be equally dysfunctional. Thus, images begin to overlap and the muscles that control your eyes are less likely to fix at the same point that they normally would. The same people that have problems crossing their eyes...even a little...will have the greatest frustration when attempting to view stereograms.

Other conditions such as esophoria and esotropia can cause the eye to move inwards...(commonly called a lazy eye), and exophoria and exotropia (a tendency for an eye to shift toward the temple), will have an impact. I would suggest that people could adjust their distance from the stereogram and have a greater rate of success. A distance that works for the majority, doesn't always work for everyone. And last but not least...I would enjoy the statistics relating the ability of a person to see stereograms with regard to their profession. Analytical/Artistic mindset?
Yeah, I googled this just before you posted it to try and figure out what was going on. I did the triangle thing and don't have a dominant eye. However, when I do cross my eyes or look at one of those things that appears to be moving I feel sick, like motion sick. My heart even starts beating all weird. (I can't watch any driving video games without the same thing happening.) I must have a disconnect somewhere in my wiring. Is that under warranty?

Old 01-05-2009 | 09:20 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill

Ok, so which ones can see the image, the analytical or the artistic type? I hate these things.... I can see all sorts of things but not what I am suppose to. In the leaves one, I can see a boat load of red headed girls wearing an orange scarf and dark sunglasses. Too analytical I guess. I could move clear across the street and still not see the correct image. But now put me on a freeway and I can "feel" the next MINI Cooper coming my direction. The hair on the back of my neck starts to stand up. I guess we all have our own talents.... ha ha.

My tree is still standing for you Skillet. It is an artificial one and can last forever, so never give up. Last year the tree broke right after Christmas and I was not able to fix it until July. I moved it out onto the glassed-in sunporch and it enjoyed a time of year it never had been able to experience before. Just for the record, it prefers Christmas. It is currently lit, sort of like a beacon for Skillet's little Mini. Come on home little Martha, Skillet (and the rest of the group) are waiting for you. Gawd, I think I have been starring at those blasted pictures too long!

Old 01-05-2009 | 09:25 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
One way to help the brain concentrate on divergence instead of focusing is to hold the picture in front of the face, with the nose touching the picture. With the picture so close to their eyes, most people cannot focus on the picture. The brain may give up trying to move eye muscles in order to get a clear picture. If one slowly pulls back the picture away from the face, while refraining from focusing or rotating eyes, at some point the brain will lock onto a pair of patterns when the distance between them match the current convergence degree of the two eyeballs.[6]
Above from Wikipedia ~ Autostereogram

Old 01-05-2009 | 09:31 PM
MtyMous
Banned
Hey RandomGemini.. I actully did grow up in the midwest. I used to live in O'fallon Illinois. If I actually went to grade school with you, that would be kinda crazy. Let me know. PM or whatever. This could be interesting. haha

I hope if we did go to school together I wasn't rude to you or anything. I generally try to be a pretty nice guy.

Old 01-05-2009 | 09:39 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Quote:
One way to help the brain concentrate on divergence instead of focusing is to hold the picture in front of the face, with the nose touching the picture. With the picture so close to their eyes, most people cannot focus on the picture. The brain may give up trying to move eye muscles in order to get a clear picture. If one slowly pulls back the picture away from the face, while refraining from focusing or rotating eyes, at some point the brain will lock onto a pair of patterns when the distance between them match the current convergence degree of the two eyeballs.[6]
Originally Posted by pilotart
Oh my gawd... I really can see it... I'm cured! But now I can't stop my eyes from crossing.... that will go away won't it?

Old 01-06-2009 | 05:28 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Martha Mini:

Oh,, this is just the best yet!! Good job!! Still laughing here.......

Old 01-06-2009 | 07:08 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Skillet? are you still talking to Apple? any update???? anything, did her schedule calm down? did her son buy a car? did she purchase a camera???
I can loan her a camera if she needs.... anything??? Is she helping to drink the beer??? Does she need some popcorn???

Martha Mini:

Old 01-06-2009 | 07:46 AM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Skillet? are you still talking to Apple? any update???? anything, did her schedule calm down? did her son buy a car? did she purchase a camera???
I can loan her a camera if she needs.... anything??? Is she helping to drink the beer??? Does she need some popcorn???

Martha Mini:
Ooh, maybe the storage facility that Martha Mini was put into has a security camera. Maybe we can get the video of it pulling in on YouTube!

Old 01-06-2009 | 07:56 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
now that is an idea, CC...

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...