Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008 | 10:32 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
Sandy is Apple Sorry about that. I'm not sure what her friend's name is...Friend (grandma) has not arrived yet. Per our phone conversation this morning, she does not want to disclose that she'll be letting the car go/has no need for a classic. So, if her friend asks her for pictures, she'll be contacting me to send her (Apple) some pictures of the car and then she'll pass them onto her friend... Does that get you back on track? It is a little confusing... I can write up a whole script up to this point if you'd like
Ahh... "Sandy" is "Apple". Ok... that makes more sense now. As for the script, well as you know... we're ALL dying to know.

Sorry, I'm laughing about the photos for Grandma. Hope someone's good with Photoshop! For one thing... there's more likely a chance of snow in the background where you live, although not so much in Florida. (Well except for sometime in the next day or two maybe!) You'll have to make sure that you have a picture of "Sandy's" face (at least) so that you can put it in the car. Maybe you should make sure to get several pictures of Sandy with the car in a few different places and clothing changes before you leave. Hopefully Grandma won't want to come back and visit the Mini!

Although happy for you, I feel kind of sad for Grandma. Especially if she thinks she's giving the car to someone that will love it like she will. I know that you'll love it... but Grandma doesn't know you. She's kinda being hoodwinked.

Old 12-03-2008 | 10:53 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Yeah, I had planned on taking a bunch of photo's in different locations to last until spring arrived here. I wish I could meet "grandma," but the way it sounds, she only trusts Apple with this car. Ah, OK, I'll write what has transpired....

Post is put up by Apple (you know what that states). I PM'd Apple and received her phone number and name (Sandy). We talked about what was going to happen...Grandma and car should arrive by the end of the week, and she'd have pictures to me by Sunday night. I had planned on flying out Monday or Thursday, but Apple told me to hold off as she hadn't arrived yet, didn't want to ask "so when are you leaving", and didn't want to push her out the door. I'm completely OK with that. So, every once in a while, I'd PM her asking questions about the car. Apple doesn't remember specifics (which I can't blame her for not remembering), so thats cool. PM'd her at one point to find out that her friend had an issue with the closing of her house, and that is what has been delaying her arrival. Then this morning, I had the pleasure of talking to Sandy (very nice lady), we talked about the car, her background, friendship to this lady, etc...According to her, she should know more within the next day or two from her friend. I plan on PM'ing or calling her on Friday to find out the latest (unless she contacts me prior to that).

Now on "grandma's" (don't know her name) end, she's 85, brought the car over to the states, is a good friend of Sandy's, is closing her house but something about the accounts are screwed up at the moment. As soon as it's all taken care of, she'll be driving to Apple's house, staying with her for a day or two, then Apple will take her to the airport to fly to Vancouver to live with her kids. She's giving the car to Apple b/c Apple has had a love for MINI's. Unfortunately not Mini's... Apple was explaining to me she's a techno geek (like me) and loves what newer cars provide (can't blame her there). So, she doesn't have the space or time to keep it and wants to see the car go to a good home.

Honestly, tickets are cheaper all next week ($29+taxes) So, in the end, this may really be working out for me. If my friend can join me, I'll be flying him down too.

Whew...

Old 12-03-2008 | 12:05 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Skillet-

I searched all over and finally found it! This is for your future reference so you can continue to keep Grandma in the dark.

I wanted a new '05 MCS Cabrio for Christmas but didn't get one. SO, in order to guilt the husband (since he had gotten what HE wanted) I took a stock MINI picture and printed pictures of the husband (when he got his present), my dog (when she got her present) and a picture of myself (from 2001)... cut out our heads and glued them to the stock photo. Of course I wanted Chili Red... but it was meant to illustrate the seriousness of my desire to have a MINI. Hope this helps. (And no, my head is really not that big.)

* I removed the photo so as not to shock anyone. It is now in my "Gallery" as "Cooper Morph".

Last edited by miniola; 12-03-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Photo may be too much to handle.
Old 12-03-2008 | 12:38 PM
skillet
6th Gear
LOL, funny!

Old 12-03-2008 | 03:06 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Hey Skillet.... been out of touch with the happenings for a couple of days and thought I would be seeing some pix by now...

Looks like we are all still enjoying the as we wait for things to work out. Hopefully there will be no on your parade and this thing will work itself out....

Perhaps we'll all be able to raise a for you shortly, or a if you are more inclined!

Popcorns getting a little stale for the wait -- moving on to .....

Keep us all posted....

Old 12-03-2008 | 03:33 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Hi Skillet,
I PM'd Apple about 2 minuites after she put the Classic Mini from Grandma on this forum. I asked her how much $$$ She wanted for the car. She got back to me and said I was 2nd in line for it. The next thing I know is she is giving it away for free. I sure don't want it for free because if it is free it costs way to much. I hope you get it but I won't believe it until I see it.
Ronnie948

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:02 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
Yeah, I had planned on taking a bunch of photo's in different locations to last until spring arrived here. I wish I could meet "grandma," but the way it sounds, she only trusts Apple with this car. Ah, OK, I'll write what has transpired....

Ooooh, an update. I hope it turns out well for you skillet, can't wait to hear more!

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:12 PM
LtRex
4th Gear
Hmmm, another day passes.

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:31 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Hi Skillet,
I PM'd Apple about 2 minuites after she put the Classic Mini from Grandma on this forum. I asked her how much $$$ She wanted for the car. She got back to me and said I was 2nd in line for it. The next thing I know is she is giving it away for free. I sure don't want it for free because if it is free it costs way to much. I hope you get it but I won't believe it until I see it.
Ronnie948
So she didn't say it was "free" in the title line when you first pm'd her? It doesn't show that she edited the post (I know it doesn't always... don't know why). Are you just messing around?

She told me that I was second in line. JOKING!

I don't know about anyone else, but if I was going to get a piece of crap I'd rather get it for free than pay $$$ for it. I've seen some POS's online for sale for several thousand dollars that would definitely need some work. Ronnie948 are you trying to scare Skillet into not wanting it so you can buy it?

This is an interesting thread to follow. I'm betting that the car is being "detailed" as we speak!

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:44 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Yes, I agree that I'd rather get a piece of crap for free than pay extra money to get it and then pay money to even get it up and running! (coming from one who has a 1987 Suzuki Samurai P.O.S., that I DID pay good money for!)

Skillet, I really hope you get this mini, cause right about now we could all use some warm fuzzies knowing there are some good people in the world who wouldn't try to milk a gift for all it's worth!

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:34 PM
bobbyharr883
2nd Gear
Yeh i've been enjoying the waiting for some pictures also. I bought a classic a few weeks ago. When you get it you might want to check into a classic auto plate for it. Here in Ky you only pay property tax on like $200.00 every year, and when you register it you pay tax on $600.00. It only cost me $25.00 to register it, and next year tax will be less than $2.00. Classic car insurance cost me around a $100.00 a year for full coverage with 0 deductible. I'm in the process of doing some maintenance etc.. to it, but over all they are cheap to afford. Good Luck

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:35 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
I kinda like those suzuki's. I had two trackers and both had over 150k. They go slow but you can take them anywhere and they just won't die. The 5 speed one I had got like 30 mpg on the highway. Cant beat that for a 4x4. I'd buy a Samurai to tool around in if I didn't have 5 vehicles for myself already.

Old 12-03-2008 | 05:53 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
It seems that some people posting on this thread would be happy if this doesn't work out. I don't get it.

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:08 PM
LtRex
4th Gear
Originally Posted by STLMINI
It seems that some people posting on this thread would be happy if this doesn't work out. I don't get it.
I don't get that impression at all! I kinda read that everyone is very hopeful! Personally, I get great pleasure watching someone receive something that brings happiness to them. I hope she does take this classic Mini from the 85 yr old lady and pass it on to him.

As I have stated before, I am VERY suspicious for the obvious reasons!

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:33 PM
bobbyharr883
2nd Gear
I believe with the world being the way it is these days there are fewer people willing to part with something that is as valuable as a classic mini to a stranger. Thats why it all seems a little strange, but it is the season of giving after all.

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:40 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LtRex
I don't get that impression at all! I kinda read that everyone is very hopeful! Personally, I get great pleasure watching someone receive something that brings happiness to them. I hope she does take this classic Mini from the 85 yr old lady and pass it on to him.

As I have stated before, I am VERY suspicious for the obvious reasons!
Do you think she is a Terrorist? (Referring to prior post)

Has anyone tried to contact "Apple" behind the scenes to try to work out a deal? If you have... oooh... shame on you. I think most all of us are pulling for Skillet (even if we are jealous or envious ). Any offers I've made for the car have been totally public on this thread and in good fun... I wouldn't even think of doing it any other way.

I had wondered if the "free" offer was made to get a behind the scenes bidding war going but I'm choosing to believe that's not the case. Skillet... stay focused!

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:48 PM
LtRex
4th Gear
miniola,

Do I think Apple is a terrorist? Well of course not! Oh, I get it.....

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:06 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Is this some kind of twist on the Nigerian scams out there?

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:20 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
I said I hope he gets it.

Hi Miniola,
Did you not read on my post that said "I HOPE YOU GET IT" to SKILLIT. I really don't think he will ever see that car but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I'm not trying to scare anybody. I just never heard of anyone giving away a car thay can sell for $$$$ unless it is on some TV show or something.
Ronnie948

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:29 PM
LtRex
4th Gear
Hi Miniola,
Did you not read on my post that said "I HOPE YOU GET IT" to SKILLIT. I really don't think he will ever see that car but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I'm not trying to scare anybody. I just never heard of anyone giving away a car thay can sell for $$$$ unless it is on some TV show or something.
Ronnie948

My uncle, who passed away a few years ago was one of a dozen in his company to survive the beach landing on D Day. He fought throughout Europe until the end of WWII. Of the many things he shipped or brought home, was a **** Luger with the serial number stamped, all matching. He took it out of the **** Officer's holster himself.

I now have it and it was appraised at $2800.00 (a fraction of the value of the Classic Mini....but I digress). Anyway, I don't really have any use for this pistol, so whoever is the first person to PM me gets it (cause I would like an absolute stranger on the internet to have it)!

NOT!!!

Now don't anyone think that I hope he does not get the Classic Mini! How cool would that be!! I am only applying common sense here.

Last edited by LtRex; 12-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2008 | 07:46 PM
bobbyharr883
2nd Gear
Hey guys check this guys website outhttp://www.minicooper.1hwy.com/index.html This guy posted a want ad on a radio station for a mini cooper. This man contacted him that had this mini. It had been in a barn in storage for around 20 years, and he gave it to him for free. It was a free mini, but i dont think it was in any condition to drive home.

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:49 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Hi Miniola,
Ronnie948
Ronnie948... I read what you wrote... you missed the "winky" I gave you. It was just a joke. No worries.

I was never 2nd in line either... just making that up. Were you serious about being 2nd in line? I thought you were just razzing him and figured I'd join in on the fun. I did offer flannel PJ's to Apple though.

Popcorn anyone?

Old 12-03-2008 | 08:00 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bobbyharr883
Hey guys check this guys website outhttp://www.minicooper.1hwy.com/index.html This guy posted a want ad on a radio station for a mini cooper. This man contacted him that had this mini. It had been in a barn in storage for around 20 years, and he gave it to him for free. It was a free mini, but i dont think it was in any condition to drive home.
I would take that POS home right now if it was free. Look how beautiful it is all done!

Supposedly Skillet's Mini is near MINT and driveable... but I know I've seen cars like this "before car" for sale for at least a couple thousand.

Nice post.

Old 12-03-2008 | 09:44 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
i will give you some hope, that people do get things for free from people they dont really know.....these are vehicles i have gotten in the last 3 months

Name:  0825081551a.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  98.6 KB

which after a bit of money and alot of time became this in a month

Name:  DSCN1245.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  61.7 KB

--------------------

and i just got this from another guy in my area because he had too many vehicles and his wife was giving him hell, and she told him he had to do something with it....all it needed was a tune up and a cleaning of the interior and it's a great truck....it has just been named "EL SUPERBEASTO" not great on gas, but a work horse with a 350 crate motor

so odd things do happen from time to time......just a matter of being in the right place at the right time......it might be legit, im keeping my fingers crossed for ya

Old 12-04-2008 | 04:42 AM
stratman977
4th Gear
What it is is that people know you are a car guy so when they have something they need to get rid of they call you first. I got a nissan stanza a few months back for free just because my buddy didn't know what to do with it, nothing wrong with it though. Not worth as much as a classic mini but still it was free. A co worker of mine always goes to sporting events and he always gets free tickets cause people know that he will use them.

Norm, I bet your neighbors hate you for being the guy on the block with all of the junk in their yard.

I definitely think there may be a shortage of popcorn and beer around here if this drags out too much longer.

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...