Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Free Classic Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009 | 07:48 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Yes I will be in Helen.. i organized the Helen run last yr.. this yr promises to be a blast!!! See you there!

Old 01-25-2009 | 10:23 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
[QUOTE=OKMini;2642072]Greetings all.... just caught up on the last 10+ pages!

Can't believe all the Ohio connections. I moved to OH from Northern Ireland back in 1982. Went to the University of Akron for my engineering degree - Any Zips out there????

I returned to the Akron area (Green, OH) from Canada (Kingston, ON) in the late 80's and then returned to Massillion (south of Akron) again around 2002.

I left Massillon to live in Minster, OH - south and a little west from Lima. Any one been to Oktoberfest in Minster?????

Superbowl.....

I am a Browns fan - don't laugh!!!! I also leave north of Detroit Talk about bad football

I have to root for Arizona - A browns fan can't root for the Steelers -- apologies to the PA gang

[QUOTE]

Uber Blu - Robert graduated from U of A in 1999 with a BSME.

Family in Green, Massillon, Akron, Lorain, Amherst, Elyria, etc.

Avid Browns fan, too!

Rooted for Steelers over the Ravens though...lesser of two evils theory!

Old 01-25-2009 | 10:52 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Just out doing some gardening out front. My house is on the corner of the main subdivision road... so main subdivision road and then smaller neighborhood roads off of that. The main subdivision road is 35mph road but people usually go faster and just outside my neighborhood entrance is a partially blind sweeping curve. There had been some older kids hanging out on the corner part and riding bikes and stuff.

So the husband and I are cutting away and I hear what sounds like a glass bottle hit the pavement and then a bit of a crash. I say, "What was that?!?" Looking all around I see two older teenage girls sitting on teeny bikes and they're looking toward the road but they're not doing anything. I stand up and I see a kid that has crashed his bike and he's laying on the ground and he's not moving. I'm thinking he just fell in the sidewalk area and then I realize that he's fallen right in the center of the main road with his head in one lane and his feet and legs in the other... instant thought- "OMG! No one will see him in time to stop!" The husband yells to him, "Are you ok?" and he doesn't answer but he moves his leg. I yelled, "Who f'ing cares if he's ok! He's in the middle of the road we need to go stop the cars! We can't wait to see if he's going to get up!". So in the meantime, I'm running toward the kid (and remember I have short legs) and I tell the husband, "GO!!" and the girls kinda get off their bikes and I yell at them "Go that way and try to stop the cars coming from the other way!". So they finally kick it into gear and start waving their arms from the side of the road. The husband gets into the road ahead of the kid just in time. We managed to get all cars stopped from both sides. PHEW!

So I'm tallking to the kid... there's no blood, ask him if anything hurts and he says, "No". He says, "I just need to lay here for a minute to catch my breath". I don't want to move him in case he's hurt. The guy in the SUV gets out first (and he's the only one of 4 cars that gets out) asks what happened and the kid says, "I just did a weird turn and crashed.". I ask him if he can feel his arms and legs and if he can move and he says, "Yeah" and he starts to get up. I again ask if his head hurts and he says "no" but I kind of brush through his hair and said, "I don't see any blood!". (I know he could still have a concussion.) He says, "I'm just going to sit here on the bank and lay down for awhile.". He says he lives down he road and we offer to give him a ride home. He says he's fine. He's out of the road now and all the cars just leave.

The husband and I are still concerned... the teenage girls have gone back to their location and we're just staying with the kid talking. I ask him if he's going to be on that show (and I couldn't think of the name)... he says, "America's Funniest Home Videos?"... I said, "No, I don't think anyone saw you fall... but the other one... the gross one on MTV where kids film themselves doing stupid stunts and they end up getting really bad injuries?... Is it called 'Scarred'?". He says, "Yeah it's Scarred". So at least we know he's alert enough to be able to answer questions. We ask again if he wants us to call anyone and he says "No" and so we tell him that "we live right there and we'll be outside so just yell if you change your mind and we'll come right over.".

We head back to the house and do a little more yard stuff but we're still watching him to see if he's ok. He's just laying flat out on the grass on the bank. After a bit, he starts walking toward the park and he's staggering... of course it could be that he's hurt but it's hard to know. Then I remember that I had heard what sounded like glass bottles hitting the pavement and there on the bank is a bottle that looks like a beer bottle! Discussion with the husband ensues and he says, "Yeah there was a beer bottle in the grass". I said, "I wonder if he's been drinking?!?" and the husband's reply was "He seems a little young for that.". Well I thought he looked like he was about 10 at least and I know I tried my first "drink" then.

I decide that I'm going to call the security guy that drives around here and just have him casually drive by and check the kid out. We could still see the kid further down the road and he was just sitting in the grass.

So while I'm inside looking for the security guard number or non-emergency Sheriff's Dept number (which I can't find anywhere in the phonebook ) I see that I have a phone message. I wait until I've gotten the security guy/kid thing straightened out before I listen.

The phone message is one of those computer voices stating that they are calling about my account ending in 4058... we suspect that there has been fraudulent activity and we need to confirm... please call 1-800-whatever#. First thing I think is how weird is that? I get my card and call the number on the back of it... no way am I calling the computerized voice number to confirm any important info. So I call and they asked if I had used the card that day and of course I hadn't. Since I hadn't answered the phone when they called, they shut down all access to my account. There had been one charge for 5 cents and then a few minutes later there were 3 charges within minutes of each other for $25.73. Some place called "Travian Games"? The first 5 cent charge was to a "www. click and buy . com"??? So, apparently the person that steals the info tests a small amount (like 5 cents) to see if a card is active and then they start charging on it after that. Just an FYI... this is my first experience with credit card info theft. Still had my credit card in hand... and usually when I buy something online I use PayPal if available (different credit card). I had heard that TJMaxx/ Marshall's systems had been hacked into at some point last year and also a grocery store chain too. Who knows how anyone got it. I almost always use the debit card for purchases and accidentally used the credit card at TJMaxx just before Christmas.

So waiting for the new credit card but all prior history on the other account is erased. I'll have to do some fraud paperwork stuff for the investigation... we'll see how it goes. But the husband and I were thinking that maybe it's safer to just use the credit card for purchases since they seem to look for suspicious activity like that?

Sorry... longer than I thought... but I guess it always ends up like that.

Old 01-25-2009 | 03:24 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
wow first way to go about the kid!!! wow!! you are a Hero, you saved his life!!!

about the credit card scam, that really sucks that someone would do that.. I think if people that are smart enough to Hack into account would put their engery into doing something good instead of bad in the world we are be a whole lot happier!!! Glad it didn't go too far.
I had someone get ahold of my SS number once and boy was that a mess - I had to change all bank accounts and credit cards and freeze every account for about a week! ouch!!! all on Memerial Day weekend...

Old 01-25-2009 | 03:28 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Okay, first things first, we saw the movie- FROST NIXON and it was really good, very thought provoking... and I just cannot resist this, I have to steal another of miniola's smileys --- hahahhah

Hey DexO5S and OKmini ,uberblu and lilruffcat glad to hear from you all,, if we keep chiming in this truly will be the thread that never died. In a way it will stay here as a lesson to us all that there are "bad Apples" in this world. And most importantly alot of good apples too!!
Miniola,,, OMG-- you have lived thru an exciting week!! i had a C.C. hacked into that way, same thing happened I got the dreaded phone call and it started with some weird little purchase and it was out of the US of A and it raised red flags, then one purchase was a membership to Itunes,,,LOL and I have a Zen. Thank goodness the watch dogs on these things are so good!! LIke they told you the theives start with a small charge to see if they have alive one and then start little charges and go from there.
That was awesome how you helped to save that kid,, so you think his actual problem was a bottle of beer??? LOL awful young to be drinking and biking,,,,, I am also jealous that you are out doing yard work,, I love the summer months futzing in my yard,,,

gemgirl, I have been emailing Holly to get a replacement part for my Sloopy, she says she has another JoAnne/Carol type ordering a MINI and says hopefully we will all meet up at a mini event this summer.... won't that be fun??

Let's see what else I need to discuss,,,, oh Gem, the Italian rest is located in the Olde Sproul Shopping Center off of Baltimore Pike in Springfield. Osteria Bel Sogno... it was really delicious and it is a BYOB, but I wouldn't advise eating there then going to the movies and chomping on popcorn and sour patch candies, PLUS a huge diet coke---I was up all night with a sour stomach!! I literally was up at 2 am til 6 am cleaning out my desk and finishing up my paperwork for my 08 tax reporting... so I am really dragging today. I know I probably left out details,,Oh wait!! more Ohioans!! This is way too cool!! I haven't had much experience with N. Ohio, other than to go up to the Lake for some long weekends, anyone been to Put n bay???

Oh, and lillruffcat- would you consider coming up north to a phillymini event??

Old 01-25-2009 | 03:53 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Gem,,, your SS number??? How horrible!! I am amazed that you could get it cleared up within a week???!!

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:19 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Back on the subject of football... check out this video!

Does this make NFL players worth all that money?????

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:29 PM
Le Fraug
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cabwy
Okay, first things first, we saw the movie- FROST NIXON and it was really good, very thought provoking... and I just cannot
two of the minis in that movie belong to members of my club (MOALA Mini Owners of America Los Angeles)

I haven't seen the movie yet... but I want to...

-Jimmy
Club Pres 2009 (MOALA)

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:30 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Some update pictures on my '70 Mini 1000 that is getting some new metal prior to painting......

The passenger side got a new doorskin, new A-panel, & new outer sill. This is already complete and primered. The driver side (shown below) was the worst of the two - it needed the inner sill repaired as well as the other pieces. I should mention that none of this rust or repair work was known until the car was media blasted down to the sheet metal

New Outer Sill.....

Free Classic Mini...-new-sill-small-.jpg

New Doorskin & A-Panel.....

Free Classic Mini...-new-a-panel-and-doorskin-small-.jpg

Inner Sill Repair....

Free Classic Mini...-inner-sill-repair-small-.jpg

Should be painting within the next 7-10 days. The new colors are Island Blue with an Old English White Roof......

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:37 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Here are some pictures of the passenger side before it got its final sanding....

New doorskin & A-panel......

Free Classic Mini...-pict4173.jpg

Backside of doorskin.....

Free Classic Mini...-pict4179.jpg

New sill installed.....

Free Classic Mini...-pict4176.jpg

There is so much work to do when I get the car back. Can't wait until it warms up...
  • New headliner
  • New carpet
  • Rebuilt subframes & suspension with HiLo's
  • New brakes
  • Stage 1 kit for the 998cc
  • New engine paint
Will post pictures when it gets painted!

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:14 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Wow,, OKmini,,, that will be a brand new mini when you are finished,,, so much work!! Does it get intimidating? How long have you been working ( or having work done) on it?

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:14 PM
cabwy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Le Fraug
two of the minis in that movie belong to members of my club (MOALA Mini Owners of America Los Angeles)

I haven't seen the movie yet... but I want to...

-Jimmy
Club Pres 2009 (MOALA)

No way!! there were mini's in that film?? I didn't see them

Old 01-25-2009 | 09:40 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
wow first way to go about the kid!!! wow!! you are a Hero, you saved his life!!!

about the credit card scam, that really sucks that someone would do that.. I think if people that are smart enough to Hack into account would put their engery into doing something good instead of bad in the world we are be a whole lot happier!!! Glad it didn't go too far.
I had someone get ahold of my SS number once and boy was that a mess - I had to change all bank accounts and credit cards and freeze every account for about a week! ouch!!! all on Memerial Day weekend...
Funny thing is we had just watched the 20/20 special (I think) about what people do in emergencies and the percentage of people that freeze and do nothing but wait for someone else to tell them what to do and the percentage of people that just freak out and the people that actually just do something. A person never really knows what he or she is capable of until something happens. I guess now I can sit in the exit row of the plane! JK... sucky view. I like seat #22 on the left side of the plane. (Always fly on Southwest from Tampa to Manchester NH so it's always the same sized plane.)

That's crazy that someone had your SS#. What a mess you had to straighten out! I think more people have my SS# than my CC#... there's really no way to protect it. The husband found a site today online and it showed my name, birthdate/year and even my PLACE of birth! Usually that's like a security question for CC companies.

Old 01-25-2009 | 09:58 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Okay, first things first, we saw the movie- FROST NIXON and it was really good, very thought provoking... and I just cannot resist this, I have to steal another of miniola's smileys --- hahahhah

Hey DexO5S and OKmini ,uberblu and lilruffcat glad to hear from you all,, if we keep chiming in this truly will be the thread that never died. In a way it will stay here as a lesson to us all that there are "bad Apples" in this world. And most importantly alot of good apples too!!
Miniola,,, OMG-- you have lived thru an exciting week!! i had a C.C. hacked into that way, same thing happened I got the dreaded phone call and it started with some weird little purchase and it was out of the US of A and it raised red flags, then one purchase was a membership to Itunes,,,LOL and I have a Zen. Thank goodness the watch dogs on these things are so good!! LIke they told you the theives start with a small charge to see if they have alive one and then start little charges and go from there.
That was awesome how you helped to save that kid,, so you think his actual problem was a bottle of beer??? LOL awful young to be drinking and biking,,,,, I am also jealous that you are out doing yard work,, I love the summer months futzing in my yard,,,

gemgirl, I have been emailing Holly to get a replacement part for my Sloopy, she says she has another JoAnne/Carol type ordering a MINI and says hopefully we will all meet up at a mini event this summer.... won't that be fun??

Let's see what else I need to discuss,,,, oh Gem, the Italian rest is located in the Olde Sproul Shopping Center off of Baltimore Pike in Springfield. Osteria Bel Sogno... it was really delicious and it is a BYOB, but I wouldn't advise eating there then going to the movies and chomping on popcorn and sour patch candies, PLUS a huge diet coke---I was up all night with a sour stomach!! I literally was up at 2 am til 6 am cleaning out my desk and finishing up my paperwork for my 08 tax reporting... so I am really dragging today. I know I probably left out details,,Oh wait!! more Ohioans!! This is way too cool!! I haven't had much experience with N. Ohio, other than to go up to the Lake for some long weekends, anyone been to Put n bay???

Oh, and lillruffcat- would you consider coming up north to a phillymini event??
Steal as many smilies as you want! It's not like I made them.

Interesting that you had the same CC experience. I'm surprised it took this long to happen. I'm blaming Apple.

As for saving the kid... I had wondered after if he was one of the boys that used to keep ringing my doorbell, throwing firecrackers near my front door or had any involvement with the artistic rendition of a giant pen=is on the hood of my BMW. I sure hope he doesn't have a drinking problem... that would be sad. The husband thought he drove by on his bike today ON THE SIDEWALK and I guess he waved. I don't think he realized how quickly he could have been killed. The first car that the husband had stopped had a car come up behind it and although the brakes didn't squeal... I did hear that scuffing surprise stop sound. People were stopped far enough back so we had a fairly large safe zone.

It was so beautiful this weekend so I was able to get some outdoor things done. The ice cream truck came through and today was the FIRST day that I ever got anything! The husband was shoveling and asked if I'd buy him an ice cream... so how could I refuse?

Glad you had fun on your B-day... sorry you ate so much crap that you were sick after.

So I read from Le Fraug (cute name BTW) that there were two Mini's in the movie... but you didn't see them? I guess you just don't have the obsession yet... you are still pretty new so all is forgiven.

Old 01-25-2009 | 10:05 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
Some update pictures on my '70 Mini 1000 that is getting some new metal prior to painting......

The passenger side got a new doorskin, new A-panel, & new outer sill. This is already complete and primered. The driver side (shown below) was the worst of the two - it needed the inner sill repaired as well as the other pieces. I should mention that none of this rust or repair work was known until the car was media blasted down to the sheet metal

New Outer Sill.....

Attachment 39760

New Doorskin & A-Panel.....

Attachment 39758

Inner Sill Repair....

Attachment 39759

Should be painting within the next 7-10 days. The new colors are Island Blue with an Old English White Roof......
Are you doing all this yourself? Are you going to name it "Brice"? Seems fitting.

I've thought about if I ever got a Classic I would like it to be without paint versus one that's been newly painted and all shiny. At least when it's in original condition you can SEE what you're getting into. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. What a project!

Good night.

Old 01-25-2009 | 11:12 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Wow, you guys are in page 91!!!

Sorry I haven't chimed in for awhile. With the grandbaby here it was crazy. Our oldest daughter came over from LA to meet her niece, so we had a full house again for a while.

I'd like to say that it's been a totally fun week, but like miniola I've got a crime story too. Unfortunately, it's because my dumb a$$ 17 year old got arrested for drug possession. It's a long, depressing story so I'll save you all from reading it. Needless to say he's on lock down until he's 18.

You guys haven't been giving Apple your credit card numbers have you?

So, do you guys think Will will just hang back until page 99, then sneak in for the Trifecta?

Old 01-25-2009 | 11:53 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker

Sorry I haven't chimed in for awhile. With the grandbaby here it was crazy. Our oldest daughter came over from LA to meet her niece, so we had a full house again for a while.

I'd like to say that it's been a totally fun week, but like miniola I've got a crime story too. Unfortunately, it's because my dumb a$$ 17 year old got arrested for drug possession. It's a long, depressing story so I'll save you all from reading it. Needless to say he's on lock down until he's 18.

So, do you guys think Will will just hang back until page 99, then sneak in for the Trifecta?
I hear you on the troublesome teenager, mine's grounded until he's 30

Old 01-26-2009 | 06:43 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
wow some catching up to do...
Cabway, yes that would be awesome when we finally get to met and do a rally together!, also thanks for the info on the Italian restaurant, little far for us though. Glad your birthday was good, but really disappointed you didn't notice the MINI's in the movie, a "shout out" in the theater would have made me laugh!!
Miniola, that kid sounds like my neighbor kid, he is a kid that tops all kids - coming into unlocked houses making a sandwich and watching tv. getting into unlocked cars, we have him on video jumping over our fence trying to get into our house (charges pressed) and one time we called the cops because some kids were beating him up so badly we didn't want to see him hurt only to find out he was so drunk and on drugs they had to take him to the hospital to pump his stomach! His parents came to our front porch and yelled at us becuase he got a $200 fine!! Needless to say I went "Italian" on them about the bringing up of this kid... and now he is 18! He and his parents belong in Apple's neighborhood!!! UGh but I guess every neighborhood has one!

OKmini, keep us informed on you car, that looks great, i can wait to see the colors!

CC every teenager does at least one stupid thing and let's just hope he learns from this and move on a better person!

Le Fraug, welcome!

by the way Happy Monday everyone!

Old 01-26-2009 | 08:23 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I saw "Frost/Nixon" too and didn't notice any minis.

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:14 AM
B.A.D.
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
I left Massillon to live in Minster, OH - south and a little west from Lima. Any one been to Oktoberfest in Minster?????
I know exactly where Minster is, I grew up in New Bremen. When did you live there?

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:35 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
So miniola - we're still waiting for the busted crime-ring story! Don't pull an Apple on us and leave us hanging, just guessing...that might mean another 1,000 pages of this thread....

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:41 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Just in case anyone out there cares--- I am freezing today!! I just cannot seem to get warm enough. I know this will start the wamr weather friends a gloating but gosh I am tired of being cold and seeing grey sunless skies....

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:44 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
So miniola - we're still waiting for the busted crime-ring story! Don't pull an Apple on us and leave us hanging, just guessing...that might mean another 1,000 pages of this thread....
Yeah

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:47 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Just in case anyone out there cares--- I am freezing today!! I just cannot seem to get warm enough. I know this will start the wamr weather friends a gloating but gosh I am tired of being cold and seeing grey sunless skies....
cabwy, I'm right there with you, I'm counting down the days to spring... just for the record I keep walking infront of the wood stove to get warm, but Thistle won't move out of her bed!!!

I hate being cold!

Old 01-26-2009 | 10:06 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker

Wow. That really sucks. Is he the father of your grandbaby? We won't ask for details... just sorry that you have to deal with it.

I think that YES, MCWill is lurking and waiting to use his special software to win again.

I gave APPLE my CC# to hold the Mini for me. Guess now's a good time to tell everyone that I am actually the 2nd one in line!

Quick Reply: Free Classic Mini...