Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Questions for reassembling a roll-up window door

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for reassembling a roll-up window door

When I took my door apart, there was some gray sealer material between the roll-up door mechanism and the door sheet metal and it had gray cloth-type tape over many of the holes. (see attached pic).

I am wondering what type of materials to use when I put the doors together. I have found some "Gaffers tape' online that is cloth based but leaves no residue like duct tape. As far as the gray sealer goes, is this a general purpose 3M mastic?

Questions for reassembling a roll-up window door-pict3481.jpg

Any thoughts?

The springs on my door regulators have some surface rust. Do these come out or does that turn into a real mess trying to reassemble? Should I use a steel wheel on a Dremel to clean it up? I assume white Lithium grease is best for the rollers and the gear teeth/springs on the regulator. The mechanism worked fine when I disassembled the car.

Thanks for any insight...

Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OKMini
When I took my door apart, there was some gray sealer material between the roll-up door mechanism and the door sheet metal and it had gray cloth-type tape over many of the holes. (see attached pic).

I am wondering what type of materials to use when I put the doors together. I have found some "Gaffers tape' online that is cloth based but leaves no residue like duct tape. As far as the gray sealer goes, is this a general purpose 3M mastic?

Attachment 39888

Any thoughts?

The springs on my door regulators have some surface rust. Do these come out or does that turn into a real mess trying to reassemble? Should I use a steel wheel on a Dremel to clean it up? I assume white Lithium grease is best for the rollers and the gear teeth/springs on the regulator. The mechanism worked fine when I disassembled the car.

Thanks for any insight...
Duct tape is just fine.
Why not use Plumbers Putty for the grey sealer?
White Lithium is fine.
Don't know that I'd take the mechanism apart. Wire brush them? That's up to you.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi..Iused BLU-TAC wich is sold over here at a stationers does a bilriant job..........