Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009 | 07:38 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Wow... I had that exact same interior in my car (a '92) when I bought it.

I yanked it out...

Old 05-03-2009 | 12:29 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minimad
---------------------------------------
Miniola, you are correct, yes, I would avail myself of a free Mini. (that's a no-brainer) While I've not seen one for free yet, that possibility may exist. I have seen some stellar acquisitions of rarer Coopers & S's....

You can't afford me... No, I don't. I have enough to do on my own two. Maybe when I "retire" from my day job? In a past life, I turned many a wrench on foreign cars. Minis & MG's are my passion.
Minimad- I can't afford you? How do you know? JK. Maybe.

ImagoX- I knew those seats looked familiar. I was going to say late '80's-early '90's. So how did you get a '92 here? Just when I think I am learning something... ... was this one that was "updated" to '92 specs?

Hey Skillet- I wonder if they bashed those sides in on the car to make it "look" more like a '71. Seems like if that car is a '92... well, it's seen better days. There was a guy from EBay that the husband spoke with last August or so. I don't remember the name now but I can search through my emails later. The guy was really nice and they talked for a long time... lots of explaining this process. He's in GA or SC... not Turky's. I don't know anything about him though... maybe other Classic people know about him. Maybe he's a good Mini guy... maybe not. But he can look for stuff for you in the UK if he knows what you're looking for.

Does anyone know where (how or if) I can get painted steel wheels with the plain chrome caps for my 2008 R52? I know I can't use 10" wheels but I'd like to recreate the 1960's retro look. There are pics of what I am talking about in the "Bible" on pgs 43 and 67. (Sorry if this seems like a hijack... just thought of it since the "Bible" was mentioned and it is a question I have not dared to ask.) Thanks.

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:20 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
He's in GA or SC... not Turky's. I don't know anything about him though
Was it Carol or Richard from Hilton Head?

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:29 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Skillet-
I'm a total window shopper. I check Craigslist all the time for classic minis. There's one on the NAM marketplace right now for 2500, not running but looks promising. I'm the guy who was too slow on the draw to buy that Riley Elf on here, if you follow this forum (no hard feelings, though-I knew I wasn't going to buy it).
My brother picked up a 56 (I think) Morris Minor shell for around a grand-he's hanging onto it until he can manage a restoration. There are possibilities for the obsessed.

Last edited by Stanislaus; 05-03-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2009 | 04:36 PM
MtyMous
Banned
Skillet... Stay away man. This thing needs some serious work. I understand your pain. That whole free mini thing was some crap. Trust me.. I fell for it too. haha. But you should definitely take your time with your search when it comes to your hard earned pennies. The less rust you can find, the better. That rust inside the door hinges... yikes. That's gonna take some serious effort to fix. It would be nice to find something with minimal work needed for around 3K, but it's VERY hard to find. I broke down and just saved my pennies for about 3 years before I found my mini. To me, these cars are like you soul mates. The right one will find you, but if you rush into it, you'll end up heart broken and wishing you had waited for the right one to come along. haha. Seriously though. I'm so glad I waited those 3 years because I found tink for a VEY good price and with minimal issues. Yeah, there's a decent oil leak, needed a brake job, is missing a stud, and could use some paint... but it's FAR less than some of the other cars I was looking at fo about $2000 more than I paid for Tink. Take your time and minimize your rust. I would rather have a classic with major mechanical iussues than rust. Rust on these cars is like cancer. You have to use Chemotherapy (media blasting or acid dip) to get rid of it.. then it's a long rehabilitation process to get it back to normal. Mechanicals are VERY easy to fix on these cars, and are extremely cheap compared to most modern cars.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's worth it's weight. As for cars near indiana... good luck. haha. I was in Illinois seaching for mine and had to drive 5 hours just to LOOK at one. I found my mini 5 hous from home and went there with money in hand dependant on the test drive and final inspection. The economy is horrible right now, and a lot of people can't afford to hang on to their toy minis. So it's horrible, but take advantage of it. Help out a mini love by buying their toy, and they can help you out by giving you something to start out in.

And as for minis in your area... I hope you're looking at the minimania classifieds. That is where I found almost ALL of my prospects.

Good Luck with everything. I'll keep an eye out for minis close to you and good deals you might want to check out.

Old 05-03-2009 | 05:37 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stanislaus
Was it Carol or Richard from Hilton Head?
Without going through my email... those two names sound pretty familiar. I think you are right on the money. I remember having some confusion about location... maybe the original EBay listing showed GA and they said they were in Hilton Head or something like that.

So what do you know about them? We talked with them back around June or July of last year. They were very helpful and they answered every "dumb" question we had. We felt like if we were going to buy something we'd probably go see them.

Our plan was to keep the '05MCSC that we have and then get a "project"/ "daily driver" . Problem is, I really want a Riley Elf and the husband does not. The other thing is... after coming here and researching about Classics we felt that the time needed for THAT car was overwhelming. We were kind of discouraged by it all. So we ended up not getting any Classic and instead got a new '08MCSC with the intention of getting rid of the '05. Figured with our books we'd take more time to learn about Classics. Truth is... we still don't feel like we'd know enough to make a truly educated buy. I'd hate to be taken advantage of.

Maybe when our lease runs out on the 530i we'll revisit the idea of getting into a Classic. Until then... I/we will keep dreaming. Skillet I hope you are able to find one.

Old 05-03-2009 | 07:11 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola

ImagoX- I knew those seats looked familiar. I was going to say late '80's-early '90's. So how did you get a '92 here? Just when I think I am learning something... ... was this one that was "updated" to '92 specs?
My car is titled as a 1976, and that's how it was inspected when it came into the US from the UK. It IS a mystery, but hey, who am *I* to second-guess the DMV?

And I recommend waiting for a car that's nicer as well. I got my car for $6K lock, stock and barrel. I live in Ohio but my car was in New Jersey - a cool 10 hour drive away. I got about 3 dozen photos, passed seven or eight emails with a ton of questions and finally went out to see it with a car trailer on the back of my truck and a copy of the buyer's checklist (stickied at the top of the classics forum). I would have walked away if I'd found any surprises. Luckily I didn't.she had a bit of rust in the wings and some in the bottom of the door skins, but NOTHING like that car. It was garage kept, not kept outside. Patience and a daily scan of the MiniMania classifieds (coupled with cash in-hand so you can pounce when you find just the right car) will be your allies in the quest to get a classic.

Old 05-04-2009 | 10:43 AM
skillet
|
6th Gear
Skillet, did you somehow miss that part?

You (like me) are an anonymous voice on the web. I have no idea if you are for real or not. I have seen many put-ons on various boards I read. I have also seen many novices hurry a purchase only later to come back with horrendous tales of woe.

I don't mean to be flippant or condescending. I am afraid that you may be a candidate to end up with a bad Mini experience. No one here wants to see that happen.

I am happy to share my limited knowledge with anyone. I and many other Mini owners have posted enough information, links, photos, directions and leads for any novice to seriously educate themselves on what to look for on a Mini. Its just when something is posted like the car you refer to above, I simply am in disbelief. It is so obviously not what it is claimed to be. Likewise it is obviously a seriously rusted POS. It demonstrates that 1. you need to further educate yourself before buying ANY mini, 2. you may have an insufficient budget for a classic Mini, 3) your exhuberance to purchase a Mini is blinding you to the reality of the car. I would hate for you to as a novice to get saddled with something that will absolutely frustrate and bankrupt you. Are there no Mini owners near you that you could visit and learn from? No clubs?

It doesn't matter that there are no Minis for sale conveniently local to you. That's the case for most of us. I have bought and sold Minis all over the USA and imported several from the UK. You do what you have do to get the best Mini value you can. It suggests that if you can't afford to travel to get one, then you may likely not have the resources to own/maintain one? You appear not to be a bodyperson/mechanic? How will you restore/maintain it? Do you have a garage, tools, etc that will be required to do so? That is another investment you must consider. Are you mechanically inclined? Otherwise, do you have the resources to pay someone to do it for you? Is there a British car mechanic close enough who can skillfully work on a Mini?

You've been given great advice from this group. Please heed it. First and foremost, BUY THE BEST BODYSHELL YOU CAN FIND! The mechanics are secondary. You can always find a running motor unit about if need be.
Second Mini buying rule: CAVEAT EMPTOR Be sure to do due diligence. If you don't know enough to evaluate a Mini, get someone who is qualified to accompany you. Third rule: PATIENCE Eventually the right Mini will show up at the right price. Don't rush into a purchase because you gotta have one. Fourth rule: Even a really nice Mini will need some repairs. Allow enough in your budget for this as well as the shiny bits you will want to add on later. Don't bury yourself in the purchase.

on this particular Mini:

RUN AWAY< FAST
---------------------------------------
Miniola, you are correct, yes, I would avail myself of a free Mini. (that's a no-brainer) While I've not seen one for free yet, that possibility may exist. I have seen some stellar acquisitions of rarer Coopers & S's....

You can't afford me... No, I don't. I have enough to do on my own two. Maybe when I "retire" from my day job? In a past life, I turned many a wrench on foreign cars. Minis & MG's are my passion.
I appreciate your help. Yes, I'm just another voice on this community, and am completely a novice when it comes to Classics. What popped in my head was instant fixer-upper. Kind of like those guys who find classic muscle cars sitting in a barn, and do a full restore. Apparently, with mini's it doesn't work that way? I will heed your advice, and look for something better. Yes, I'm on a budget, and if it means, years before I find one, then so be it. I still have my '03 When the time is right, I will certainly observe what has been written before, and educate myself on what I need to look for, and if it requires a drive, then we'll have to pack up for a road trip, cause I don't ever see one locally going up for sale

Minimad, and others, thanks for your inputs and thoughts. I really do appreciate them, and I will seek your advice in the future on a potential buy

Old 05-04-2009 | 11:00 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skillet
I appreciate your help. Yes, I'm just another voice on this community, and am completely a novice when it comes to Classics. What popped in my head was instant fixer-upper. Kind of like those guys who find classic muscle cars sitting in a barn, and do a full restore. Apparently, with mini's it doesn't work that way?
Sure they do, provided you have the time, skill and fiances. ANYTHING is possible given enough time and $$ - the question is: do you think you have that level of skill and patience, and the funds to do it right?

The GOOD news is that you can get just about ANY part you need from US sources like 7Enterprises, MiniMania, GBCarparts and others. When Mini switched over to MINI production in 2001, they donated all their bodywork dies and templates to British Heritage, who continues to produce factory-spec floor pans, door skins and even complete body shells. Even if you need to literally strip the body to the skin and pull out a totaled engine, you can get everyhitng, including completely rebuilt and ready-to-install engines and every last piece of trim and bodywork. There are also places that sell factory-look interiors, seats and anyhting else you'd need.

Through these sources, any level of restoration, from a basic "street legal with no ammeneties" to a full "just as it rolled off the assembly line" is possible - the question is really "wnat do YOU want to drive" and how much are you willing to spend to get to that point?

Old 05-04-2009 | 01:58 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
maybe the original EBay listing showed GA and they said they were in Hilton Head or something like that.

So what do you know about them? We talked with them back around June or July of last year. They were very helpful and they answered every "dumb" question we had. We felt like if we were going to buy something we'd probably go see them.
That's really about all I can say as well. They seemed informative and pleasant. Hilton Head is right next to Savannah, GA, so that might be confusing. I know they have a website, but I can't recall the name.

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:24 PM
miniola
6th Gear
That's really about all I can say as well. They seemed informative and pleasant. Hilton Head is right next to Savannah, GA, so that might be confusing. I know they have a website, but I can't recall the name.
Are you near them? You should go check them out. I'd love to know what they're like. It's a bit of a haul for me. They have one listed now. BTW- saw some EBay listings last night that "look" like Turky's listings but I think they were listed by someone like "teedmom" or "teesmom"? I don't remember for sure... but the area where the pics were taken looked very similar to the old Turky's ones. Didn't see any mention of Turky's though. And this person talked about having a stroke and thinking that he/she drove one of these cars that was listed but then realized that he/she never did... just had a stroke. Kinda strange.

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:45 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
I'm about 3.5 hours from Savannah. I was going to check them out on our annual visit to Savannah but we ended up going to Miami instead.
After I bought my MINI I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I should have bought a classic as a daily driver instead, so I talked those guys up a little. Now I have my MINI and as stated earlier am more of a window shopper.
I only know about Turkys (in Charleston, right?) from forum like these but the buzz is that they are hit or miss.

Last edited by Stanislaus; 05-04-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 05-04-2009 | 02:51 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Skillet, I am in Tampa and if there is anything you want eyeballed around here, let me know.

Old 05-04-2009 | 02:56 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
FYI the number listed for all those classic Minis photographed by the same overpass in SC is Turkys.

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:07 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I only know about Turkys (in Charleston, right?) from forum like these but the buzz is that they are hit or miss.
If you shop with Turkey, you should know:

PROS: Always has cars for sale. Some are even very nice. All seem startable and driveable (at least on the day you come up to pick the car up). He also employs mechanics that seem capable of getting all his cars up and running.

CONS: Turkey's inventory varies WIDELY in quality, but Turkey himself always advertises that his cars are basically cherry, or close to. He will often advertise a car as "totally rust free" or "perfect", when everyone here knows that old Minis are rarely found in this condition. Even garaged cars generally have rusted pans, wings and door skins at minimum, but to hear Turkey tell it, none of his cars share this common problem.

The photos he posts are generally poor, so don't be surprised if you find rust (and you will) even on a "perfect" car. USE THE CHECKLIST stickied at the top of the forum to remeber all the hidden places where the tin worm likes to lurk, and then use anything you find as a negotiating tool - that's totally fair, since you'll be the one that needs to spend your time and money on a repair later on. Also remember that a good BODY is more important than a good ENGINE, but the best purchase will be sound in BOTH.

Also, he marks up his cars about 20%-40% or more from what I can tell - he charges prices that are worthy of truly rust-free cars, when his don't usually seem to be in that condition. Also, he's an agressive negotiator, and will flat-out refuse to come down on price when you speak wit him via email or phone (in my experience). People I know who have got a good deal from him literally showed up with cash in-hand and then had to be ready to walk off the lot if he didn't budge. Bottom line: know what you'll pay and show up with that money and hopefully he'll work out a deal with you.

All of the above is Turkey's right, of course, and I salute him for keeping classics in stock (wish there were more), but just know that he's a tough and shrewd negotiator, one who definitely hypes the good things about his cars and underplays the bad things. "Caveat Emptor" ("let the buyer beware") will defiitely serve you well with him, or ANY seller of "pre-owned vehicles".

Good luck!!

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:12 AM
skillet
|
6th Gear
Skillet, I am in Tampa and if there is anything you want eyeballed around here, let me know.
How about that "free mini" in that trailer park? Just kidding. If I find one down that way, it's good to know I've got a friend down there.

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:40 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Since lusting after a beautiful BRG/W classic at MOTD (among all the other classics, of course), and now reading this thread - I think I'm going to sit here and lurk, listen, and learn. MiniMad, you make too much sense!

While I would absolutely LOVE to restore a classic Mini, Mini truck, or an MG (non-Midget; just don't like them as much) for that matter, I'm now positive I have neither the time nor the money. I live vicariously through folks like you guys...while I wait patiently to win the lottery and can start a "show" garage, of course. Keep the faith, Skillet. And if I ever meet up with you, I want a ride in whatever classic you get/restore, buddy! Sounds like there's enough knowledge on here to help even the dumbest drooler over classics. (like me.)

Old 05-05-2009 | 11:55 AM
MtyMous
Banned
Skillet. I frequent the St. Louis area, and I live in West Texas most of the year, so if you have any hits in those areas, I'll take a look for you.

Old 05-05-2009 | 12:05 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
There's a classic Mini in Kansas City for sale that looks really good. I found it on Craig's List.

Old 05-05-2009 | 04:13 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Since lusting after a beautiful BRG/W classic at MOTD (among all the other classics, of course), and now reading this thread - I think I'm going to sit here and lurk, listen, and learn. MiniMad, you make too much sense!

Take a look here to see even experienced Mini owners can end up with Minis much rustier than imagined... This is my current project. If it weren't a genuine 64 1071S it would have been parted out long ago.

http://s355.photobucket.com/albums/r...%20Cooper%20S/

Old 05-05-2009 | 04:43 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear

Take a look here to see even experienced Mini owners can end up with Minis much rustier than imagined... This is my current project. If it weren't a genuine 64 1071S it would have been parted out long ago.

HOLY CRAP! Is it just my imagination, or does that poor thing have a seriously bad case of pox!?! How do you stop the rust like that? Is the primer enough, or what?

Old 05-05-2009 | 05:29 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
This one is my favorite from the Dragon. I think I'm a little partial to BRG....

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...071939&po=1939

Old 05-05-2009 | 06:34 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear

Did you weld the floors in? Hard to tell from the pic but I can't really see any weld marks.

Old 05-05-2009 | 07:13 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear

Check out those louvres!! What did you do with them? LOL That's a lot of rust...

Old 05-05-2009 | 07:39 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Those rear louvers are a bee-YOTCH to find... The guys on the UK forums (MiniFinity, etc.) are forever searching for them and whining/begging for some adventurous manufacturer to make new sets. I bet you could sell your set for a very handsome profit, if you're planning on yanking them off - some people absolutely LOVE them it seems...

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?