Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Inboard joint oil flinger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009 | 11:01 AM
redline_rally
|
Neutral
Inboard joint oil flinger?

Really, this all started with just replacing the front shoes. . . ^_^

Alright, I drive a Mini, I know better. I'm replacing everything but the right flexible brake hose, <i>so far</i>. CV boots included, yay.

So. . . I've got the right hand axle out. Finally. The Book O' Lies directs me to "recover the oil flinger" but I am still at the "locating the oil flinger" step. There is a rubber seal still inside the end cover, which I take to be the "end cover oil seal" aka "axle shaft seal", or, in other words, not the oil flinger (but possibly what has been leaking oil all over the place). The picture in the manual is of a little plastic looking thing and I see no little plastic looking thing, nor any other thing. Google insists I am looking for an oil slinger and I've found approximately nothing resembling an oil flinger, to purchase if I am missing one, or to look at, to see what exactly I'm missing.

Unless, that is, it has fallen inside the end cover. I suppose I might as well take that off, too. I fear this simple brake job is somehow going to devolve into a complete teardown and rebuild "oh, this is bad, oh, this is questionable," until the whole thing is apart and the body shell is in the paint shop. . . which would be kind of cool, except school starts in a few weeks.

Anyway, if anyone has any information, or even wild guesses, they would be much appreciated.

Rally

EDIT: From theminiforum.co.uk: "The plastic oil flinger shown in the Haynes manual is now obsolete and not required." --- Works for me.

Last edited by redline_rally; 12-26-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: quotes help internet searches
Old 12-27-2009 | 05:39 AM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
It's probably not there. I know when I did my first motor with inboard CV's or "pot joints" I asked the same question to a noted Mini engine builder and he said no one uses them, there're not needed. I don't have them on my pot joints and I have no leaks.