Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

classic mini no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:59 PM
smalest
|
1st Gear
classic mini no start

I just purchased a 1971 austin mini, and had it for a less then a week. I have been doing some work on it like fixing some wiring (blinkers, hazards...). Drove it for the first time today to DMV to register it and now it wont start, had to push start 3 times. All lights work fine but wont turn over. I think it may be the starter not sure if it needs to be replaced or if it can be fixed. Help please.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:20 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Welcome to the underworld of Lucas electronics. Mine stalls out after choke released, even after engine warmed up thoroughly. In the shop. If it is the starter, you're probably better off replacing. Where did you buy the car? You will have more responses if you repost this in the Classic Mini section. Maybe the moderator can move it for you.

Old 06-12-2010 | 09:22 PM
smalest
|
1st Gear
Thanks for your reply I am new so did not know where to post. Bought car on EBay because of low budget and could find car near by in my price range. I took out the starter and my father-in-law took it apart and a wire had came loose so he was able to fix for now, may have to replace in the future.

Old 06-13-2010 | 07:53 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Does the starter solenoid click when you turn the key to the start position? If so, then the problem is either the starter, starter ground, or starter bat+ wiring from the solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't click then it's the starter solenoid, starter solenoid ground, or ignition switch wiring.

If it's the starter, the brushes in the starter motor might be cracked or very worn. A good couple of raps with a hammer on the body of the starter can sometimes dislodge the brushes to get you by in the interim.

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:10 AM
MiniVespa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jeffm5150
If it's the starter, the brushes in the starter motor might be cracked or very worn. A good couple of raps with a hammer on the body of the starter can sometimes dislodge the brushes to get you by in the interim.
I second this. I had a problem with my starter for awhile and it nearly left me stranded a few times. I had a small tool kit with me at all times and a couple solid taps on the starter with a hammer or flat end of a screw driver and it worked every time. Obviously its not an indefinite fix but it got me by until I ordered parts.

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:15 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smalest
Thanks for your reply I am new so did not know where to post. Bought car on EBay because of low budget and could find car near by in my price range. I took out the starter and my father-in-law took it apart and a wire had came loose so he was able to fix for now, may have to replace in the future.
The starters aren't the best piece of equipment on the Mini. I would suggest buying a rebuilt one to replace yours. That is unless the brushes were like new.

Welcome to our board!
Jeff

Old 06-13-2010 | 08:18 AM
MiniVespa
2nd Gear
Smalest, care to share a bit more about your car? Where you got it (location, not ebay), how long the seller had it, and big rush issues, any other mechanical problems, any modifications done to the Mini, maybe what you paid for it, what your budget it, to do list, and some pictures?

Answering these questions might help you a bit more with your new toy! Best of luck!

Old 06-13-2010 | 02:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Now that the niceties are over

Congrats on your classic

tell us all about it

higs and kisses

bla bla

now on to serious talk......

there are folks here very willing to help you with problems and will spend considerable time researching parts and procedures.

B4 some of us do that however we'd (I'd) hope you would do a little research cuz if we've answered the question b4 . . .

in this case you might have found
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-turnover.html

At this point in your Mini life you want to learn as much as you can and while asking questions IS GOOD, reading what's out here already is also good.

It was not that long ago I bought my 79 and I had problems to fix from day one. I bought the Haynes and read it .... well read the parts that applied to problems I had anyway; and came to THIS site, and others, and reviewed the headers of every classic thread and read those that seemed to apply to my concerns.

And soon I was asking questions that had at least a little "I tried this" behind them . . .

I didn't want to waste the time of the folks willing to help me and you'll learn soon HOW OFTEN the same question gets asked over and over . . .

So ... welcome ... learn ... and hopefully DRIVE

Old 06-13-2010 | 03:57 PM
smalest
|
1st Gear
I bought the car for 4800 plus shipping from Alabama to California. It is a 1971 Austin Mini left hand drive, 1275cc or at least that's what I was told. Starter seams to be fine now (after repair), there was a wire that had come loose inside, tested it with a battery and jumper cables and worked. I will be installing later today for the real test.
On a side note when I was removing starter I caused a spark by touching alternator(generator) and also touching motor with tool. Could that cause problems?

Old 06-13-2010 | 04:10 PM
smalest
|
1st Gear
I bought the car for 4800 plus shipping from Alabama to California. It is a 1971 Austin Mini left hand drive, 1275cc or at least that's what I was told. Starter seams to be fine now (after repair), there was a wire that had come loose inside, tested it with a battery and jumper cables and worked. I will be installing later today for the real test.

On a side note when I was removing starter I caused a spark by touching alternator(generator) and also touching motor with tool. Could that cause problems?

Things I have already fixed, blinkers, hazards, rear defroster, fog lights, and hand brake.

Things I want to fix or change now; new interior, upgrade brakes, upgrade headlights to HID, and just keep up on maintenance.

Old 06-13-2010 | 04:17 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smalest
First - _always_ disconnect the battery when you're doing electrical work. Disconnecting the negative lead from the battery to the body is easy and you won't have scares like that in the future. As for that causing problems to the car - no.

I also have a 70's LHD 1275. Have fun fixing the electrical gremlins

Jeff

Old 06-13-2010 | 04:55 PM
smalest
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the good info, this is the second mini I haves owned . The first mini I owned was a 1963 Austin Mini 850cc right hand drive that I imported from New Zeland, never had any problems with that car until brakes stopped working. This is not only the first Mini I have to work on but also the first car I have worked on.