Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

CV Axle and Ball Joint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM
redline_rally
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Axle and Ball Joint Questions

So, what started as a simple brake job has, unsurprisingly, become much more epic than that. On the driver's (right) hand side I've also replaced the CV boots. No big deal, but now that I'm trying to put the hub -with new ball joints- back on, I'm finding it doesn't want to go back on. Not that it was easy to get off, mind you. However, I looked at the inboard joint with a flashlight and I can still see thread. . . this doesn't seem right to me. It also moves horizontally (towards & away from you if you're sitting on the ground facing it), which doesn't seem right either. It seemed like it went all the way in when we installed it, but now I'm not sure. (I tried to compare it to the left-hand side, only to discover something I should have discovered a while ago - the inboard boot on that side is split, too. Yay.)

The Haynes manual is less than helpful (refitting is the reverse of removal).

I've also wandered into a bit of confusion regarding the ball joints. I cannot get any really free movement out of the lower ones once the springs are installed. Just like the book says, they moved freely with slight resistance before putting the spring in, but they're fairly tight now (and I used all the old and new shims).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've never really done this before. Some 11 or 12 years ago I removed and replaced the CV axle on my 4x4 truck, but it's different and I don't really remember.

Thanks!

EDIT: As well, the inner member of the inner joint and the driveshaft have become one. Attempting to convince them to separate has resulted in nothing more than the destruction of a rubber mallet. Any ideas?

Last edited by redline_rally; 07-24-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: more fun
Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I recently replaced both hubs on my Mini. The new hubs were supplied by 7ent with ball joints installed, so I didn't have quite the job that you have. Just for reference, I could move the ball joints before I installed the hubs. A bit of finger pressure caused movement of the ball joints. Sounds like yours are a _lot_ tighter.

When installed into the transmission properly the axle will move horizontally where it enters the transmission. I didn't have to pull the axles from the transmission so I can't help there, but I do know that horizontal movement is expected.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 AM
miniroll
2nd Gear
You shouldn't have that many shims in there, try taking one or 2 out to free up some play in the joint. As for the bal joint themselves, are they the same as the ones you took out as some MG hubs have different ones as compared to the mini hubs.

As for your inner cv joint, are you talking about the joint itself or the way it slides into the transmission? If you are trying to get the joint to slide out of the transmission you can use a wide tip chisel and softly hammer it between the joint and tranny, this will help pop the inner joint out. If its the joint itslef then it sounds like it has severly overheated and have become warped enough to not allow any movement. Hope this helps

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
oc00l
Neutral
Miniroll I think you mean to add some shims removing them would tighten the joint, I found this Vid on youtube most helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyDE4oqbZnc