Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Oil leaks after gearbox replacment

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leaks after gearbox replacment

I had a mechanic who works on lots of classic Minis install a rebuilt gearbox (he had one ready to go) on my 1275 since the old one couldn’t downshift from 3rd to 2nd without a grind every time, and it stopped going into Reverse. At the same time he put in a new radiator. It runs better than ever, with smooth shifts, etc. After driving it home, 45 minutes on the freeway at 50-55 mph, it left an oil leak that grew to 3 feet x ½ foot on my slanted driveway (The car is backed in). So I took it back, he kept it a day, and he called saying it was fixed, having replaced a seal. I drove back home, and THIS time there’s a smaller leak (or two), maybe 2” in diameter. He told me he kept it overnight and there were no leaks. I suspect he didn’t run it long enough to get it good and HOT, which is when it leaks. I know these things are notorious for small leaks, but is it reasonable to expect NO leaking after this kind of rebuild? He told me to bring it back in, so he’s not blowing me off. I’m just trying to gauge the level of his responsibility vs my level of expectation. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
I had mine rebuilt (changing to a straight cut, close ratio gears) and after reinstalling it there were some good sized leaks. Since I had put the end covers on and know I torqued them wrong (used newton meters numbers rather than lb. ft.) I just put a catch pan underneath. Fast forward to this year and had some work done at the same shop. They were able to significantly reduce the leaks from the outside, but they may return. From what I know almost all classics leak some; it's just a matter of your tolerance for the leaks. If the mechanic is willing to take another look, I'd say go for it. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
did you tell him you park on a slant? It can make a difference . . .

also with this being 'new' can't you tell where the leaks are?

put down clean cardboard and see where the drips originate . . .

Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
I did mention the slant. When I drove it back to him he was able to get right under it and determine where the leak was from since it was dripping when I pulled in. That's why he replaced a seal. I'm marking where it's leaking this time, and I assume it will visible after the long drive back on Monday.
Capt BJ: In your experience should it be entirely leak free, even when the temp is getting up there?

Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
should it be entirely leak free, even when the temp is getting up there?

I believe that a leak free 30+ year old car is unlikely unless you spend $30,000 or more on the restoration ..... mine drips ....

on the other hand if I paid for an engine rebuilt and the leak was from an engine seal, I would NOT be happy.

So where is it leaking????? Something he worked on or not? Someplace it did NOT leak from b4?

When I bought mine it had a HUGE oil leak. An 'expert' told me it was the dizzy o-ring. Replaced that and no change. The expert was WRONG and I later found the leak and fixed it with a short turn of the wrench . . . after tracing the oil following cleaning the block with steam . . .

I'm very dubious of Mini experts and mechanics that 'know a lot about them' now .... unless they are older than I am!! ... but I have 10 years of Mini games under my belt . . . (or hanging over my belt if you prefer)

Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Leaks fixed (for now)

The mechanic provided the rebuilt gearbox, put in a radiator, and put in an oil pressure ball and washers to really up the oil pressure. Apparently this combination was pushing enough oil out of two places: Where the distributor is attached (the o-ring was worn), and where the oil pressure gauge cable is attached to the block. After attending to those areas with new washers, and removing the washers by the oil pressure steel ball, that seems to have fixed the leaks. I drove it an hour back home, the temp got pretty high, the pressure stayed up, and hours later, NO LEAKS. I won't be surprised if small leaks surface over time, but I feel good knowing he was willing to work on it to make it right. Thanks for your input.