Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

engine out, out from the top or bottom ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 PM
mikeyr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine out, out from the top or bottom ?

I have to pull my mini's motor and since we want to remove the sub-frame and clean everything up at the same time, I thought of taking out the motor from the bottom still attached to the sub-frame.

I have been reading about it and I know its possible but everything I read says pull the motor/gearbox and then remove the subframe. Its much easier that way.

But I have a 2-post lift, seems it would be pretty easy with a 2-post lift, just have to be careful about switching the balance point as the weight of the motor is removed. Or is 2 steps out the top really the best way. I only ask because the people that seem to say its easier in 2 steps, don't have a 2-post (I also have a 4-post if that makes a difference).

Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Either way is fine, Mini put it in from the bottom no reason you can't take it out that way.......having a 2 post lift really helps.

Since you're going to clean the subframe anyway, I'd drop it all together....that's how I did mine.

Have fun with your project and post up pics of the operation!

If the noise sounds internal, I'd take a good look at the drop gears (internal, crankshaft to transmission) and BTW, you need a special puller to take the flywheel off.

In fact, a Bentley manual would be a good investment before you jump into it

Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM
mikeyr
1st Gear
Thanks and yes, I should get a good manual specific to the mini, I have several for the A series motor and I am no stranger to the motors having owned a few sprites and currently owning a 1934 Singer powered by a 1098 A series motor. I do have a Austin 1100 manual and it was that manual that suggested doing it in 2 steps, but with my lift I think I will try it as a unit.

As to the noise, the engine runs fine, good power, good oil pressure, I really don't think its internal but because it only does under acceleration on the ground (I tried it on the lift) I can't identity, its definitively something shifting and rubbing and it is speed related, meaning it goes faster the faster the car goes. It was fine for a month and it started. I am ok with pulling it all out, cleaning up everything, fixing a good sized oil leak and a fresh coat of paint along with rust removal (not a lot thank goodness).

The crank to transmission is something I want to look at, I read somewhere you should change that when you put in a 1275 on top of the original trans, not sure the previous owner did (also not sure i am correct but I will find out.)

Wedding this weekend, then he is officially my son-in-law and project starts after the honeymoon in 2 weeks, pics will be coming.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM
mikeyr
1st Gear
OK, I am getting ready to do this. Now where do I place the 2-post lifting arms on the front ?

I am going to remove engine and subframe so obviously I can't place the lifting arms on the subframe. I was thinking a 2x6 full width of the body from one arm to the other but that seems mickey mouse.

Oh, and I purchased the factory manual (which I think is the Bentley mentioned above), sure makes it look easy to remove it as single unit.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I put the front lifting arms out close to the sills, at the junction of the floor and inner A panel - assuming the metal is in good condition of course, otherwise some wood to spread the load is a good idea.

Attached Thumbnails engine out, out from the top or bottom ?-motor-workr.jpg  

Last edited by MINIdave; 04-05-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
you would be best to remove engine from bay first then drop sub frame after other wise you will need at least 6 people to help lift the shell up over engine and sub or use a 4 post hoist

Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM
mikeyr
1st Gear
I happen to have BOTH a 4-post lift and a 2-post lift available. I was thinking 2-post should lift the body up but not sure where to best place lifting pads.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I would make some 6X2 beams and put this across the floor pam then put lift under beam so not to damage floor pan
and make sure you have disconnected battery cable from underside of sub and brake pipes before dropping sub

Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Classic Mini engine removal

Originally Posted by mikeyr
I have to pull my mini's motor and since we want to remove the sub-frame and clean everything up at the same time, I thought of taking out the motor from the bottom still attached to the sub-frame.

I have been reading about it and I know its possible but everything I read says pull the motor/gearbox and then remove the subframe. Its much easier that way.

But I have a 2-post lift, seems it would be pretty easy with a 2-post lift, just have to be careful about switching the balance point as the weight of the motor is removed. Or is 2 steps out the top really the best way. I only ask because the people that seem to say its easier in 2 steps, don't have a 2-post (I also have a 4-post if that makes a difference).
Probably personal preference. Removing the engine first makes the subframe drop less unwieldy, but it seems you have the equipment and help to accomplish either way. If you can, post pix of the process and let us know how the project progresses.

http://www.minimania.com/Search_Resu...emoval/default

Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM
mikeyr
1st Gear
It was easier than I expected, I will post pics. The only issue I had was where to put the front lift pads as I suspected. I placed the pads at the very front of the underbody, since the inner wheel well metal was already well crunched there as it looks previous owners lifted the car from there. That along with the bottom half of the firewall held up just fine. I am not sure it would have worked with the weight of the sub and engine but I only used it to lift the body off once everything was loose and its fine. I took a bunch of cell phone pics and I will post them here. Now its to the serious issues we found with the motor, like chunks of metal in the oil from bearing races (it ran great, but I doubt it would have much longer), also took pics but I am at work right now.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:12 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Thanks for the update, look forward to the pics.....