Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Big Norm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs

anyone do the conversion to springs.......if so what do you think

Old 11-13-2006, 03:51 AM
gtbuzzmini
2nd Gear
I have been thinking about this too...

Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM
classicfreq
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Norm
anyone do the conversion to springs.......if so what do you think
Are you talkin about something like this??

Last edited by classicfreq; 07-31-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Big Norm
6th Gear
that would be them........

Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 AM
classicfreq
3rd Gear
I'm doing the conversion right now.. Writing a review for our website and will post the review hastily =D

Also adding 4 Gaz Adj Shocks, Sway bar..

Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Big Norm
6th Gear
im hearing there great and im hearing there horrible ....so please let me know once you have it done........im also doing the highlo's at the same time.......just have to decide springs or new cones.........springs sound better but well see

Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Screamer
1st Gear
I am also looking at these.... what color spring are you going with (Red, Blue or Green)

Thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
im still tossing around the idea.........i went to a Mini/mini meet and talked about it ......and there is defenetly 2 strong opinions on them............i think i might put it on hold and work on getting the front drum to disc conversion......but well see........

Old 11-15-2006, 02:44 AM
classicfreq
3rd Gear
Went with Red..

Apprently the different colors each have a different use.. Red for street, blue/green track.. unsure but that's what they told me =P

I'm doing this right now for the simple fact that I'm waiting around for a ship to come and pick it up and deliver it! I don't want to get right in the middle of a full resto and then they tell me, oh your ship is here! haha.. I'm in the military so it's free shipping..

Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never ridden in a Mini with springs. Only cones and 1 with hydrolastic. I can't imagine the suspension could be much better than the cones no matter what you do.
Classicfreq, I'd just like to point out that if you are planning on a full restoration at some point, buy ALL the bits you're going to need now while you can get them cheap. Load them in the car for transport back to the States. I needed 2 new rubber cones and 2 rear trailing arm rebuild kits. I got them, plus a new boot handle, plus shipping from England for less than a single cone from the US Mini parts places.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Springs

I had the opportunity to ride in a Mini a few years ago while I was in Tucson. The owner had done the conversion to springs from cones and also added sway bars front and rear. The ride was solid but not harsh as it tends to get with cones as they get old. He had the "green" springs on his Mini. I will probably switch my MK 1 over to the green springs when I have it closer to being on the road. This guy also recommended green springs as his opinion was that the red and blue were a bit too soft for his liking.

Talk to Mike or Jack @ Seven Mini Parts they have extensive experience with these springs. I believe they have them both on race Minis and street Minis.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 AM
shorn
4th Gear
This brings up a question... I have a Mini in transport today. I drove it last week prior to purchase. It's the first classic I've driven. Its at '80 Saloon. How do I know if the cones have gotten stiff to the point of needing replacement, either with new cones or with springs? I have no means of comparison, as my other Mini is a MINI.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Databob
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shorn
This brings up a question... I have a Mini in transport today. I drove it last week prior to purchase. It's the first classic I've driven. Its at '80 Saloon. How do I know if the cones have gotten stiff to the point of needing replacement, either with new cones or with springs? I have no means of comparison, as my other Mini is a MINI.

When rubber gets old, it cracks and then crumbles. I'm assuming that the cones on mine will do that, as an indication of time to replace them. In the meantime, as long as the dental bills from a teeth-jarring ride are less than the cost of upgrade/replacement - I don't plan on worrying about it! The ride is rough - by design. It's not a bug, it's a feature! (There's a minor indentation on my street that at 20 mph, it almost LAUNCHES my mini in the air. It's fun! I hadn't noticed it in any other car, but that's what you get with a rubber cone suspension and a featherweight car!)
Also, the Haynes manual has a maintenance schedule and a check, but I think it's visual - I don't have it handy and don't remember...

Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I replaced the rear cones, the new ones were WAY harder than the old ones. I let the car off the jack stand to push the trailing arm up so I could re-attach the shock. It didn't compress enough to get the shock within 2 inches of the bottom of the car. Eventually got it by having both my wife and I sitting on the same side of the back seat, and bouncing, to get it compressed enough to have the 3rd person in the garage able to start the thread. New rubber cones certainly aren't SOFTER than old ones.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Old cones collaspe and lose all resiliency. They pancake out and are hard as a stone causing rough riding.

New cones are not harder. They simply haven't had any compression. New cones will make your Mini look like an off-roader for few hundred miles until they begin to take a set and settle in. People often install hi-los so the can adjust the ride height on new cones to something more appealing. Then again after they settle.

If you're being launched into the air, I suggest your cones may be fully compressed by age. Tough on the car and riders. Cones should be replaced much more frequently than they are. Many Minis go on original cones their entire life. Some say they should be replaced evry 5-7 years.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
shorn
4th Gear
You're likely right. Folks buying imported Minis without any history trail don't know WHAT's been done the the car, if anything. At least until it breaks... down. Will inspect my cones once the car is here. (Never thought I'd be saying that sentence.)

Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
PM is not on the "to do" list of UK Mini owners. Oil gets "topped up" not changed. I haven't received a Mini yet that has had the cooling system flushed. Unless something breaks, becomes hazardous, or blocks obtaining a MOT it doen't get done it seems.