Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

My Little Car Petition

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Minnie S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Little Car Petition

I am trying to get support for a small business owner in England that BMW is taking legal action against because one of the products she creates is in the image of the Mini (although Classic). She makes high quality reproductions of "your" Mini in the form of a backpack. Please help her by clicking on the link listed in her letter below and sign the petition.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Minnie S (Jackie)
Pembroke Pines, FL

Attached is what Debora Townend wrote me:
Hello
I'm sorry to say that as some of you are already aware, I have decided to close My Little Car down. This is due to legal action being taken against me, without warning, by BMW who own the legal rights to certain trademarks and similar designs used in some of what I sold. This is a very serious position, I cannot legally defend myself as the business made no profit. BMW have every right to protect their interests and has choices which include granting me a license to carry on, or to effectively finalise my closure, claiming costs and damages as appropriate. If closed down I would have to take an oath (as in court) not to produce any of the affected items under any circumstances. Whether a license is granted or not will obviously be based on their acceptance of the products and whether it is considered worth while or not. All I'd like is for BMW to consider licensing the products, I know its unlikely they will

I'm aware of a petition which asks them to do this, if you would like to see this please go to http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/40207/ read it and if you wish, sign it. If you are a member of any forums or group web sites, please post a new topic like "My Little Car petition" and add a link to the petition, having checked a similar topic is not already there. If you'd like to add a comment please use the explanation as above.

It's important that no other public action is taken or comments made as it might not help me. There is no obligation on anyone who does sign the petition.

With best wishes
Debora Townend

Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 AM
elprofe
5th Gear
makes one wonder if BMW would really care about one's opinion.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of car manufacturers are doing things like this...

Ford went after a lot of people, but they're just greedy, so they licence pretty much anything (sheeze, if you build aftermarket parts you can even get factory drawings to ensure fitment!)

Sad thing is that the large companies are totally within thier rights, even if squasing the aftermarket that sustains interest in thier products isn't in thier long term interest. Pretty much sucks....

But the other side of the coin is that they paid a lot for Mini, and that if they are aware of the infringment and do nothing, others can argue that the IP is effectively in the public domain, as it had been "abandoned" by the IP owner....

Now BMW/Mini COULD do licening agreements, get the $, and keep the aftermarket happy (and the car owners too!) If they don't our only reall options are to write letters, or not buy the cars.

Sad day for all.

Matt

Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Heck, let me get a link to her business. I'll support her by buying one before they are not allowed to be made anymore.

On a sarcastic note you ought to post the petition on www.minicooperonline.com

I do really want to get one!