R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
jlong21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD Radio

I am trying to spec a Clubman and I would appreciate any opinions out there on the HD radio option (whether in your Mini or not). I do not plan to to upgrade the stereo in the future.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
You should ask this question in the 2ndGen/Nav&Audio discussion. I'd like to read the comments about HD (I'll be making the same decision soon). $500 is a bit steep but if you want it nicely integrated into the radio, there's no other choice. The answer also depends on what radio stations are transmitting HD where you'll be motoring. You can google "HD radio" to find a listing of HD stations in every city.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howie289
You should ask this question in the 2ndGen/Nav&Audio discussion. I'd like to read the comments about HD (I'll be making the same decision soon). $500 is a bit steep but if you want it nicely integrated into the radio, there's no other choice. The answer also depends on what radio stations are transmitting HD where you'll be motoring. You can google "HD radio" to find a listing of HD stations in every city.
I've retrofitted HD radio in my R53. It's nice to have, but unless the station you're listening to has high output, or you're close, you don't benefit from it that much.

I find the switch from FM to HDFM annoying too. Constantly switches back and forth if you're in an area with sketchy radio reception.

I'd order it as an option if it were my car, but then I just like knowing I have something, even if I never use it.

IMO an iPod is infinitely more valuable if you're trying to save money. I could count the number of times I've used the radio in my car on one hand. I listen mostly to my iPod, and occasionally XM. I don't even have an antenna!

Just food for thought.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Personally I love the factory HD radio- there's definitely a noticeable difference. It's a big enough difference that it is annoying when the signal drops from HD to FM and back, but for me it doesn't tend to cycle back and forth that much.

Having lots of HD compatible stations nearby helps make the steep price a little easier to swallow, and the piggybacked HD2 stations are pretty nice too. Here they tend to be broadcasts of sister stations (one local NPR affiliate rebroadcasts BBC for example, another adult rock station rebroadcasts a cross-country blues station) or commercial-less deeper tracks that don't normally see radio play.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
...didn't consider a HD/Sirius/XMS. $1k! Crackheads!
I change the channel or toss in my own beats!

Gawd forbid, we talk to a passenger.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
What rustyboy said...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I like mine.....but, I wish you could turn it on/off. Our local country station has a delay between their FM and HD broadcasts which drives you crazy after a while as it switches back and forth. Also, some stations don't know how to tune their HD transmission but when they are correctly dialed in, it sounds great. I want all of my vehicles to have it now.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I like mine.....but, I wish you could turn it on/off. Our local country station has a delay between their FM and HD broadcasts which drives you crazy after a while as it switches back and forth. Also, some stations don't know how to tune their HD transmission but when they are correctly dialed in, it sounds great. I want all of my vehicles to have it now.
You can turn it off if you want, at least with the Nav system:

Switching Digital Radio Reception On/Off

Onboard monitor, for operating principle refer to page 16.
  1. Press the Home button
  2. Move the Mini joystick to highlight "Setup" and press the Mini joystick
  3. Select "Settings"
  4. Select "Audio"
  5. Change to the topmost field. Select "HD Radio"
  6. Select "Off"
I don't know if there's an equivalent setting without the Nav. Maybe not?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Thanks for the info. I don't have NAV but since you can turn it off in NAV, then there may be a way for non NAV>

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
I don't have HD and know little about it, but Googled it after reading this thread. Those still in the decision stage may wish to browse through the blog at hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/ I can't vouch for anything about this site.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mantid
I don't have HD and know little about it, but Googled it after reading this thread. Those still in the decision stage may wish to browse through the blog at hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/
I found this site pretty compelling, and it sealed the deal for me to not pony up for HDRadio. I was suspicious when I checked out the channel listing and saw how many of the participating stations were ClearChannel stations, but the rest of the info there put it to rest.