R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 On DIY oil changes and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Alphawave
On DIY oil changes and maintenance

Is there a need for a clubman-specific thread wrt DIY oil changes and maintenance?
I'm about to do my first DIY oil change, and need to know what/where to order filters,etc. I've seen reports that even dealers are sometimes getting the oil filter numbers mixed up, so want to nail down exactly the oil filter/gasket part no's, the most oft-recommended oil (scattering in the coupe fora), and any tips Clubman owners have. Oh, air filter part no's would help too..please specify justa vs. S if part no's are different. My plan is to avoid driving to a dealer, and just order OEM from one of our online supporters.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would any Clubman owners be doing their own oil changes??? It's free my friend.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by hollyross
Why would any Clubman owners be doing their own oil changes??? It's free my friend.
I'm not comfortable waiting another 12K+miles on Pelle, who already has over 6K on his virgin oil. Indeed, I should have changed it at around 2K, IMHO. :|

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
If my memory serves me right, it is the same DIY as the regular MC. Your Service Tech can confirm this but I'm 95% sure.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Without me doing a search to find the relevant threads about it, I have been scared off attempting a DIY oil change on my Clubman due to a little sending unit doohicky that can easily be broken off when changing the filter. Seems, if you break it off, you can't just buy the part itself, but you have to replace the engine or something (just kidding). But really, the threads were pretty scary for a DIY klutz like me.

So, I'm gonna take out a second loan on the car and have the dealer do it at about 7500 miles. I figure that should be about 1/2 way according to the current projections on my on-board-computer.

Rich the Fraidycat

Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
I read a good thread last night about how the Mini is hard on oil and the Castrol seems to really last about 4-6k. I would check either the dealer for oil filters and synthetic oil. I think MiniMania sells the filters also.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
If you wanted the dealer to do an early one (say around 3K), what would they charge? (Assuming you still wanted to do the scheduled one).

Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave
I'm not comfortable waiting another 12K+miles on Pelle, who already has over 6K on his virgin oil. Indeed, I should have changed it at around 2K, IMHO. :|

I'm with you- that's way too long an interval for break in oil, I changed mine at 2600 miles.

I jumped into the first oil change on my own without any sort of problem. The only odd tool required is a 27MM wrench (or socket) for the filter housing. I found one in my collection of cast offs from old motorcycle tool kits. Most of the time on the oil change was spent fabricating a cardboard shield as not to drip any oil down the engine block. This proved unnecessary. If the fill cap is removed before starting the procedure, the oil will drain back through the pan once the housing is loosened. Pull the housing cover, remove the oil filter, install the new one and button everything back up. Very simple. Oh yeah, add 5 quarts of new full synthetic oil. Finished with not one drop on the floor. I was also very impressed that nothing I encountered was overtightened at the factory.

Filters- I purchased one at the dealer for $24, too much money. OEM filters are available online from several of the reputable Mini accessory dealers for half that price. The cost still ended up to be more than I expected. Dealer wanted $125 for an unscheduled oil change, that wasn't happening. I found a Beemer shop that would change the oil for $80. My cost ended up being around $60 DIY for a filter and 5 quarts of oil. You can knock $10 or so off of that with an online filter purchase.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
If you wanted the dealer to do an early one (say around 3K), what would they charge? (Assuming you still wanted to do the scheduled one).
I went through this with my 04 330ci...I wanted an oil change at 3000 miles and they gave me a free one without hassle. And I still got the scheduled ones. Granted, we have a superb dealer here in KC...but it never hurts to ask. But still, you have a warranty on everything. If the engine blows up they give you a new one. Why worry? Cars and engines have changed but a lot of people still treat them like it was 1970...you don't have to do that anymore...honest. An aside: My wife changed the oil religiously on her 02 Saturn VUE every 3000 miles...you got it...it's starting to smoke at 50,000 miles. Adios GM.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
I went through this with my 04 330ci...I wanted an oil change at 3000 miles and they gave me a free one without hassle. And I still got the scheduled ones. Granted, we have a superb dealer here in KC...but it never hurts to ask. But still, you have a warranty on everything. If the engine blows up they give you a new one. Why worry? Cars and engines have changed but a lot of people still treat them like it was 1970...you don't have to do that anymore...honest. An aside: My wife changed the oil religiously on her 02 Saturn VUE every 3000 miles...you got it...it's starting to smoke at 50,000 miles. Adios GM.

Agreed, I don't see the point. You can't tell these people anything, they are CONVINCED!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by wampa
Agreed, I don't see the point. You can't tell these people anything, they are CONVINCED!
While I certainly respect the views of others, some of us aren't 'normal' drivers...I just checked tonight and am already at 6800 miles, in just over two months. At this pace, I'll be out of warranty in another 15 months, or less (more likely). Would you rely on the warranty service rec's with my circumstance, or do what you feel you must to protect your investment past the first 15 months?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
This topic comes up again and again. My I point out that before BMW, who happens to own MINI in case you were unsure, changed to offering "Free" maint the schedule was quite detailed and there were no lifetime fill items. Lubricant technology has not changed that much in the past few years either. Don't take my word on it, the dude that writes all the technical stuff in the BMW-CCA magazine, Rondel, also points out that these cars really do need a bit more maint than what the factory offers. Bean counters rule over engineers even at BMW/MINI.

To answer the OP's question. A Clubman oil change procedure is the same as all R56's. You can find a complete How-To in the 1st issue of the NAM Alliance Magazine. Go to https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/alliance and you'll find links to download all the issues on the right side of the page. You do not need to be an Alliance Member to download and enjoy.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by gnatster
This topic comes up again and again. My I point out that before BMW, who happens to own MINI in case you were unsure, changed to offering "Free" maint the schedule was quite detailed and there were no lifetime fill items. Lubricant technology has not changed that much in the past few years either. Don't take my word on it, the dude that writes all the technical stuff in the BMW-CCA magazine, Rondel, also points out that these cars really do need a bit more maint than what the factory offers. Bean counters rule over engineers even at BMW/MINI.

To answer the OP's question. A Clubman oil change procedure is the same as all R56's. You can find a complete How-To in the 1st issue of the NAM Alliance Magazine. Go to https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/alliance and you'll find links to download all the issues on the right side of the page. You do not need to be an Alliance Member to download and enjoy.
Now THAT is a fine post! :D
So is the Clubbie's filter the same as the coupe's, or a different part number? Is the rubber o-ring and crush washer typically included, or purchased separately? Who are the cheapest online supporters to order from? Hoping to do the first change before I hit 7500 miles! /sigh

Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Are you saying "why worry" to the comment about not needing to change oil prior to scheduled maintanence or about the engine blowing up with improper oil change(something a reply stated before)?

If it's the former, might I ask if you've seen the oil off a brand new car during break in? It's horrible the first few thousand miles. So yes, you should be changing your oil more often.

If it's the latter, I'm not sure if they'll cover the parts if you caused it by improperly changing the oil.

As for your example regarding the Saturn VUE, n=1 don't justify a norm.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Edgar's oil changed in Charlotte, NC (Hendrick MINI) on my way driving back to Phoenix. Mileage was just over 1,000. I asked for a non-scheduled oil change - was just under $100 I think.

I have approx 5,000 miles on Edgar now and will be doing the next non-scheduled change myself.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
What are people's thoughts about doing an early non scheduled oil change at a place like Jiffy Lube? Do they have synthetic? Would they allow you to bring your own?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
What are people's thoughts about doing an early non scheduled oil change at a place like Jiffy Lube? Do they have synthetic? Would they allow you to bring your own?
I would prefer to do my own and make sure it is done to my satisfaction. It also helps to familiarize yourself with your engine.

Depending on the lube shop they may have a full synthetic, if they do I would want read the label first and then watch them pour it out of the container into the engine. As for bringing your own I would think it depends on the individual store.

It really is an easy job that you can do yourself.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
Thanks for the thoughts, but I'm not mechanically inclined. Was just wondering whether it was all that different to bring it to a Jiffy vs the dealership.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Now THAT is a fine post! :D
So is the Clubbie's filter the same as the coupe's, or a different part number? Is the rubber o-ring and crush washer typically included, or purchased separately? Who are the cheapest online supporters to order from? Hoping to do the first change before I hit 7500 miles! /sigh
Yes, the Clubbie is the exact same part # as the coupe. Oil Filter part # is 11-42-7-557-012 and includes an O-ring and Crush Washer. All versions from Base to JCW incl S use the same on both the R55 and R56 according to RealOEM. This is for US based MINI's. I didn't check the d or One variants.

I'm loathe to offer lowest price info since I edit the magazine and need to stay vendor neutral. Check with some of the dealers that advertise on NAM such as Classic and Morristown, and don't forget the other vendors like Detroit Tuned. You might be pleasantly surprised at how low they can go in quantity.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a need for a clubman-specific thread wrt DIY oil changes and maintenance?
I'm about to do my first DIY oil change, and need to know what/where to order filters,etc. I've seen reports that even dealers are sometimes getting the oil filter numbers mixed up, so want to nail down exactly the oil filter/gasket part no's, the most oft-recommended oil (scattering in the coupe fora), and any tips Clubman owners have. Oh, air filter part no's would help too..please specify justa vs. S if part no's are different. My plan is to avoid driving to a dealer, and just order OEM from one of our online supporters.
Try this thread, it has everything you need to know. Also, I recommend ClassicMINI, a NAM vendor, for the filters.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=101513

Old 10-15-2008, 08:26 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh my. Do you ever need to read up! Even if you disagree, this has been discussed...thoroughly.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I might let Jiffy Lube change the oil in my lawn tractor, but beyond that, no.
I want control over the quality of the filter, and the type of oil. If you're not going to shinny under there, and you want a change outside the MINI-provided schedule, I'd recommend you get the proper oil and filter and take it to a shop you're familiar with.

Possible pitfalls: Failing to change the filter cap O-ring, the crush washer, improper torque on either the filter housing, drain plug (aluminum oil pan) or both, overfilling the oil, failing to drain completely, making an effing mess...

Oil changes are a mundane task, but not difficult. Somehow though, the chains always manage to muck a fair number of them up.

My 0.02.

Last edited by hoonu; 10-16-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Alphawave
Thanks a ton, gnatster and miniclubman, just what I was looking for! :D

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search the boards for other posts on the free maintenance. According to a few, it seems that some dealers are cutting back as long as possible to cut costs. There's no such thing as a free lunch, something I've learned the hard way but that lesson has nothing to do with cars.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Free ONLY if you have met the criteria of the Mini Service Manual.

That means that they will change your oil only UPTO four (4) times. Once at 15,000, 30,000, 45,000 Miles and then one early change.

But most dealers will not do the one early change, and will only change the oil when the car says it needs to be changed, and in my case that would be only after about 22,000 miles.

Car has 9000+ miles and currently states in can go another 13,000 miles with out an oil change. That is just not right with any oil that may be put in there.

Quick Reply: R55 On DIY oil changes and maintenance