R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Coin Holder

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coin Holder

I was looking for a decent coin holder since the MINI does not come with one. (At least mine does not come with one.) I came across a number of possibilities. The one that I have seen suggested on this Forum is a round black cylinder shape with coin slots on the top of it (spring loaded for storing the coins) and it fits into one of the cup holders. That seems fine but does take up one of the cup holders.

Here is an alternate coin holder that I bought and fits perfectly in the small storage area just in front of the cup holders. It has a lid that snaps open and the inside area is divided into two felt lined small compartments - One compartment slightly larger than the other. I keep quarters and pennies ion the larger compartment and dimes and nickels in the smaller one. Fishing for the change, keeping it that way makes it pretty easy to distinguish the coins from each other. But the best thing is that it utilizes that small storage area in front of the cup holders which I was not using anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Coin-Holder-Tr...4499505&sr=8-5

Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
driverphil
3rd Gear
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Driverphil,

That is a good choice ! Didn't see that one

Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by driverphil
that's a lot of coin for a coin holder ... I just use the ashtray.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
that's a lot of coin for a coin holder ...
But you didn't notice that it also holds "lint and other pocket contents."

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
sluday
1st Gear
I don't use coins I have EZpass

Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
I like it; the best one I've seen, particularly for the location. Since I don't need coins often, I've been using one of those old-time, rubber, oval-shaped "squeeze" coin purse/holders placed in the door pocket. "Cheap and cheerful", as the saying goes; but yours is easier when hands are busy! (The cupholder version isn't worth the trade-off for me.)

Do you know of any place to buy the one you suggest in stores? (Shipping often kills the value of some of these "nice finds". )

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 06-09-2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
The shipping cost is the pain. After I looked around and was not happy with the few alternatives I found in local stores, I bit the bullet and paid the shipping ordered it thru Amazon.

Now there is another thing to consider and since I went a little bezerk checking out this rediculously minor item (coin holder) I wound up buying another product as well which I am still waiting for and I probably could have bought that one locally (at Target) but carried away on the Web and also ordered it thru Amazon. It's made by Thule - Go to Amaxzon and do a search on Thule Caddy or something like that and you will come up with another alternative --or better yet, go down to a Target and check it out there. It's more of a Caddy than a coin holder. I think it will work but it is located differently in a car --- I think you can attach it to the driver's door handle and believe it is narrow enough that it should not rub against your arm. I'll check it out when it comes in a few days. It is more costly than the ~ $7 coin holder that I listed the link above. That coin holder works - Then on to bigger and better things like...sunroof window tints, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
I searched Amazon and didn't see anything better than your original idea, all things considered. I'll check out Target next time I'm there. Ahh...the time we spend on the little details...

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
That is a nice holder..but expensive.. I just throw my change into my cup holder..what about a little change purse and just storing it in in the side of the door? Heyyy..thats a great idea.. I think I will do that...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Yeah ! What is the story with storing "Lint" ? I never thought there was a need to store lint. Isn't that like weeds in the lawn - You want to get rid of them...not collect them !

Below is the Thule Caddy. Amazon sells it for a bit under $11.00 but the shipping is crazy - it's $10.00. I believe I saw this also in Target so if interested, you may be able to get it locally and then if you don't like it - return it. . Besides the $7 coin holder that I bought and listed in first thread on this Posting, the Thule Caddy is sort of another option but I tried it out today and it's not as good as the coin holder. The Caddy (photo below) is more of a "mini" Caddy. I guess that is why they call it a caddy and not a coin holder. It's benefit is it allows storage of a few odds and ends like a pencil, some loose stuff and it has a sort of zippered purse built into the side of it. Where do you place this thing ? Well, it seems the best place is sitting just in front of the rear cup holders which is adjacent to the side of the front seats sort just where the parking brake is located. It stays there located in the center and does not interfere with the seats but fits a bit loose. Hey guys...it's just something i came up with and there are plenty of built-in areas on the MINI to store your "stuff" but maybe some might want to try this out. For example, I was keeping my garage door opener in one of the cup holders. But it appears better suited sitting in the main compartment of this caddy. Just an idea guys...Here's the photo:

Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
mccsab
3rd Gear
OLarryR,

Check out this link: http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=75716

If you add this, you can purchase another Ash Tray Holder [or 2 if you don't already have one] and have plenty of room for change. They hold a good amount of change.

Regards,

Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Well...yeah that certainly will hold gobs of change !

I guess I sort of got use to the small coin holder in my '98 Prelude. It had a small coin holder that was also felt lined making it easy to pick out a few coins. The $7 coin holder I posted the link is similar and since I did not see any regular use for that MINI storage area forward of the cup holders, that $7 coin holder turns out to be a perfect fit. So...it's a done deal for me...but thought I would share the info to others. But it's great to see all the other suggestions that people have offered up. I think that's a real benefit of this Forum. It certainly gets MINI owners up to speed quickly as to the possibilities/options out there and also the sharing of bad and good experiences.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
MamaPills
Neutral
rubber coin tray for less money

The rubber coin holder that driverphil shows is MINI PN 51 16 0 418 650. You can get it for $11.75 from http://www.outmotoring.com/search.ph...=search&page=1 or tack it onto your next parts order from any MINI dealer. Crown Auto sells MINI parts and gets $11.54 for the lint holder. IMHO $21.95 is a little steep.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
In the main glovebox, there are some slots beside the main compartment. I wrapped 5 or 6 coins up in a twisted elastic band and put them in one of the slots - works well. They don't rattle, don't fall out (if the sitting flat rather than on edge), and I won't get caught short at parking meters again! Happy.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I'll have to check out those slots.

By the way, anyone know why the storage openings in the side of the doors have that unusual configuration - sort of a molded V-shape slot.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I find these more alluring than rattling change:

j/k