Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

custon exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
paintunter9
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custon exhuast

Well im planing on building a custom exhaust
I want it to sound like the Megan Racing exhaust but I dont like the $380 price tag. So my friend just got a kit put on his audi at a shop localy for $75 the shop just welded every thing together and put the pipeing on he had to chose the muffler tips resonator etc...

So I was looking for some help with selecting parts.

I want;
it to sound like the megan when accelerating,

but I want a ton of down burble,

not looking for hp at all,

and I dont mind a little resonance at crusing but I dont want a stupidly loud car or to sound like a grape fruit shooter,

I want the tip to be inteligent looking so no larger then 3.5"

The most important thing for me is to save a considerable amount of money, or I would just buy the megan off of ebay.

Im not too demanding am I

Sugestion or Ideas would be helpfull and if I sound like I want to much let me know.

Thanks

NIck

Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
txwerks
Banned
You'll be hard pressed to find a small can with the right inlet/outlet that'll fit in the MINI's area... I was originally planning to runn a Borla XS muffler slapped into my OEM system, but the local muffler shop struggled to find something that would work. You may have more options now, but shop wisely... I ended up with a Borla cat-back, but will soon be swapping to a Magnaflow...

Old 09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked into this at my local exhaust shop. Was still up around $400. Was going to go with Magnaflow muffler, same size/style that is used in their cat-back system for the Mini. You might want to check into those. It was going to be a "one ball" system. Pypes GTO tips was another $80. I got cold feet when I was warned about inside "droning" sound at highway speed.?? So I decided to get a pulley instead.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 PM
paintunter9
1st Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
You'll be hard pressed to find a small can with the right inlet/outlet that'll fit in the MINI's area... I was originally planning to runn a Borla XS muffler slapped into my OEM system, but the local muffler shop struggled to find something that would work. You may have more options now, but shop wisely... I ended up with a Borla cat-back, but will soon be swapping to a Magnaflow...
Im just swaping the entire exhuast from the cat-back im confused with with what you mean by the inlet/outlet that will fit the MINI's area.
And I know that it will be easier to just by a hole "kit" cat-back but I cant bring my self to spend $400 on some thing that will only make my car sound faster.

And would some thing like this fit for the muffler
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-Muffler-4-x-9-Oval-14-Body-2-25-O-O-11235_W0QQitemZ220148663800QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3363 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/SIZE][/FONT]

Then I would have to get them to weld a tip on so
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-TRIPLE-CHROME-UNIVERSAL-EXHAUST-TIP-HAVE-2-C_W0QQitemZ280151799915QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33633QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]And then I would need a resonator and im totaly lost with that [/FONT]

Thanks
NIck

Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM
txwerks
Banned
Vibrant Performance has some resonators that should work...

I'd love to see what you end up with!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by txwerks
Vibrant Performance has some resonators that should work...

I'd love to see what you end up with!
Hey man...I am running an OBX header with a magnaflow cat...no resonator. I just don't know what muffler will fit the MC. I want a 2.5" inlet with a 3-4" outlet (aero kit). I just called a muffler shop that I was reffered to and they quoted me $3-500 for a custom setup or $85/hr. if I have all the parts. Do you have an idea on a muffler???

Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
blue_bomber
3rd Gear
your on the right track with ebay. also look on jegs and summitracing for resonators. iv never EVER bought a "cat-back". i also can not justify the cost. and $85 per hour sounds bout right. if they are even remotely good at their job, they can have this done in 45 min. i had an '88 mr2 with crazy amounts of bends. out the door with hi flow cat under $200 from shopping at ebay and just having the guy do what i wanted. my last car was a focus svt and i just had them replace the factory resonators with ones i purchased or piping. it worked great. and was under $150.

so just keep at it.

and personally... now dont flame me. but a cherry bomb from autozone may make it on my mc. and their only $22.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
paintunter9
1st Gear
what are the dimensions of the space were the muffler will go and the sock muffler itself is massive.
some one has to have built a custom exhusat I would like sugestions
Nick

Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paintunter9
what are the dimensions of the space were the muffler will go and the sock muffler itself is massive.
some one has to have built a custom exhusat I would like sugestions
Nick
Well...right now Im running only header and cat...resonator back is gone. I have an OBX muffler on my porch from Kalbone's old setup. I am going to see if it fits. If it does...I will take the exact dimensions and post it up. Might not happen until the weekend though.