Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Help please - front grill

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:36 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redbaron
I'm bummed. I ordered the JCW black out grille and trim moldings, tried installing it today but had a few problems. I checked the invoice and according to the invoice it is the non-S 07' (which I need) but the grille just does not fit right The molding pieces seem to be fine. First only two of the four tabbed pins for the grille fit directly where the existing pins were. Second the grille seems to sit too far back into the opening not aligning with the top trim piece. Third if I were to reuse the existing bottom chrome molding piece it does not sit right on the grille and you can see part of the exposed non-chrome plastic piece. Do you think they shipped the wrong one but had it correct on the invoice? Any one else have this problem? Another thing is that the hexagon pattern does not match the other hexagon pattern just below the bumper. Did anyone else notice that?
Well first, the JCW pattern is different from the lower grill just because its JCW and the bottom is not

I think out motoring is selling the same piece as S and non S...I can tell you from experience that the S and non S are not interchangable....I ordered my grille from minspeed.net and was accidentally sent the S trim pieces (grill was non S and fit like a glove)....so right away he sent me the correct non S pieces and everything fit perfectly

The non S trim does exactly as you described... you can only get 2 of the screw pins in at a time....the contour is just not the same and will not allow the piece to fit

Talk with them and insist that you were not sent the correct pieces....the S and non S cannot be interchangable

If all else fails, Pete at minspeed.net has them

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Well first, the JCW pattern is different from the lower grill just because its JCW and the bottom is not

I think out motoring is selling the same piece as S and non S...I can tell you from experience that the S and non S are not interchangable....I ordered my grille from minspeed.net and was accidentally sent the S trim pieces (grill was non S and fit like a glove)....so right away he sent me the correct non S pieces and everything fit perfectly

The non S trim does exactly as you described... you can only get 2 of the screw pins in at a time....the contour is just not the same and will not allow the piece to fit

Talk with them and insist that you were not sent the correct pieces....the S and non S cannot be interchangable

If all else fails, Pete at minspeed.net has them
Outmotoring knows the difference between the S and non-S JCW grills. Aaron was right there when I tried the S and it didn't fit. Phone them and They will figure out what you got.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too ordered from outmotoring and was sent the correct grill. I did not get the blacked out trim pieces however. They were good to work with, just call them up and ask them, should get it squared away. Let us know how that goes...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paradigm_crash
Did anyone have to use epoxy to get the lower black trim to fit snugly? Outmotoring and Mossmini both mention it, but I'd like to be able to switch back to the chrome trim easily if the mood struck me (I like the black grill/trim, but the black grill/chrome trim that anderezd also looks really appealing).
bump.

Anyone have an answer to this please? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Dory the Cooper
2nd Gear
I didnt use any epoxy but it was a little hard to get it to fit like the original grill. I have had the grill on for a few weeks and it is still doing good!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM
redbaron
1st Gear
Update.
I received the wrong blackout grill from Moss Motors and they were extremely apologetic. They arranged for UPS to come to my house and are sending the correct one, hopefully. They stated they were sent the incorrect parts from the manufacturer who claimed it would fit the MC 07; they have since straightened it out and will be getting their first shipment in and will be sending me mine. On a side note. I think someone in my general neighborhood is a copy cat! My car have very distinctive viper stripes, even the dealer told me they have never dome a MC like that. The other day my friend calls me and is like why didn't you stop buy when I drove past his house? I said "I didn't just drive by your house". Turns out we were sitting on the porch a couple of days later and a car with viper stripes exactly like mine drives by. Oh! that makes me so mad, time for a new paint job.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Update.
I received the wrong blackout grill from Moss Motors and they were extremely apologetic. They arranged for UPS to come to my house and are sending the correct one, hopefully. They stated they were sent the incorrect parts from the manufacturer who claimed it would fit the MC 07; they have since straightened it out and will be getting their first shipment in and will be sending me mine. On a side note. I think someone in my general neighborhood is a copy cat! My car have very distinctive viper stripes, even the dealer told me they have never dome a MC like that. The other day my friend calls me and is like why didn't you stop buy when I drove past his house? I said "I didn't just drive by your house". Turns out we were sitting on the porch a couple of days later and a car with viper stripes exactly like mine drives by. Oh! that makes me so mad, time for a new paint job.
Yeah I have one of those in my area...not the same stripes, but still stripes and he's started to put stuff on the sides

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
That Bastid!! I can't Believe George Bush allowed this to happen. Cheney?....yup, I believe that one !

Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
redbaron
1st Gear
Finally INstalled

Finally received the correct blackout grill from Moss Motors and installed it. They actually just started carrying them for the MC07 R56 and I think they shipped one of the first to me. It took about 20 minutes to install since I had done it before and read plenty before monkeying around with it. There really was no need for epoxy or silicone to hold the bottom trim piece in, it should snap into place just fine. Only complaint is that the grill itself is recessed slightly and on the ends even more. Now I notice the chrome rings around my headlights need a little red or black. Anyone know where to find colored ones? I know I saw on a website once where if you ship them to someone they will paint them.

Attached Thumbnails Help please - front grill-installed-01.jpg   Help please - front grill-installed-02.jpg  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Red, http://www.lylesvinylstyles.net/ has done some wicked nice cover-overs. I know a service guy where I bought my Mini swears by his work.

Give it a try?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Finally received the correct blackout grill from Moss Motors and installed it. They actually just started carrying them for the MC07 R56 and I think they shipped one of the first to me. It took about 20 minutes to install since I had done it before and read plenty before monkeying around with it. There really was no need for epoxy or silicone to hold the bottom trim piece in, it should snap into place just fine. Only complaint is that the grill itself is recessed slightly and on the ends even more. Now I notice the chrome rings around my headlights need a little red or black. Anyone know where to find colored ones? I know I saw on a website once where if you ship them to someone they will paint them.
Very nice. Yes rings are definitely next Ever thought of the good old rattle can if going for black? Thats what I did. If you want the red you could do lyle if you want vinyl, but I know pete at minspeed.net will paint the headlight and tailight rings for you...a bit pricey, but it will match the rest of the car

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Joey D
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever find out if you can do the grill swap with the driving lamps without cutting holes? Also anyone know how easy/hard it is to take the driving lamps off? I'm not real mechanically inclined to be honest.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:32 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Very nice. Yes rings are definitely next Ever thought of the good old rattle can if going for black? Thats what I did. If you want the red you could do lyle if you want vinyl, but I know pete at minspeed.net will paint the headlight and tailight rings for you...a bit pricey, but it will match the rest of the car
How does one get in touch with Pete at minispeed.net ? http://minispeed.net appears to be a search engine for mini parts?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
How does one get in touch with Pete at minispeed.net ? http://minispeed.net appears to be a search engine for mini parts?
because it actually is http://www.minspeed.net/ the last i is dropped

Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Chili Sauce
1st Gear
Hey you know whats really funny and ironic? That is my car that it links too haha it was the first mod I did to the car and was very happy with pete from Minspeed...i think I was the first to order it from him

I don't have any pics of the actual disassembly, but I will try to give you a good step by step

1) Open hood

2) the lower trim part (connected to grill) is held on by 2 tabs on the farthest left and right parts...push them down while pushing the trim away from the grill and it will slide out (also good when washing the car and wanting to wax cuz this spot usually holds a ton of water)

3) There are 4 clips (almost look like screws) on the top portion of the grill that holds it against the frame...these can be popped out with a flat head screw driver

4) on the bottom portion of the grill (the area the lower trim piece covered) are some other types of clips...the center part I know just squeezes together, but you will have to just mess around and see what works...be careful when taking this section off because it can leave some scratches on the top portion (i have some)

Now it should be fully off and you can just do the new grill on in reverse

Also that top trim piece is held in by 4 screws and then some more tabs that just unhook from the frame of the bonnet

Good luck, great choice of mod, and if you need any help just let me know
Thanks for posting this. I just installed the JCW grill on my new MC thanks to your help.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Sauce
Thanks for posting this. I just installed the JCW grill on my new MC thanks to your help.
Awesome glad to here it! Can't wait to see some pics

Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Yes the directions were perfect!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
I don't imagine that there is but, is there any difference between the MC and the Cooper Clubman as far as the front grill goes?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
BrownBoy
1st Gear
Anyone have a dealer part no. for the mesh grille area for the MC? I will be trying to get this piece as part of the "free stuff" the MA has promised. A part no. would be much appreciated. It would give me some leverage. I can be like "I want this part no. piece on the car, along with xxx, xxx, and of course, floor mats." Thanks once again.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
BrownBoy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BrownBoy
Anyone have a dealer part no. for the mesh grille area for the MC? I will be trying to get this piece as part of the "free stuff" the MA has promised. A part no. would be much appreciated. It would give me some leverage. I can be like "I want this part no. piece on the car, along with xxx, xxx, and of course, floor mats." Thanks once again.
Anyone?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
jdhesq
1st Gear
I just happen to have the grill in front of me. (Grill yes, MINI no, I hope to be getting my MINI from the dealer in a day or so.)

I ordered the grill (not the trim) from outmotoring. The sticker on the plastic wrapping says BMW Group and the following number: 51 11 0 404 122. I hope that helps.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM
redbaron
1st Gear
Bought mine from Moss Motors and the part number is 102-815

Old 08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
booklady
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if they can be swapped the other way? I'm awaiting my MCS and I really prefer the look of the MC grille. I would love to be able to swap it out.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I really like the MC grill too, and I am awaiting my MCS too! I am getting driving lights installed, so not sure what would be involved!

Quick Reply: Help please - front grill