Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Lets see all your pictures of your R56 non-S mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 AM
JShip
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
New summer wheels - Enkei Imola's. Keepers for sure.

Did I see this Mini at Dino BBQ in Troy last month? Very nice

Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did pass through Troy last month on my way up to the Adirondacks, but didn't stop for BBQ.

And thank you for the I'm very happy with the Kid at the moment and have some of his best mods coming in the next few months. Can't wait.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
One of those mods complete - D1-Spec Throttle Controller. A great little pick-me-up. So much so that I'm feeling like I may need that torque arm insert. Mind you, I have no idea where that is or how it exactly works, but with the extra throttle response, I feel something different when I punch the gas pedal.

How's that for vague?

Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
The very first production B-Spec MINI racecar exhaust arrived at my house today. Hoping to have it on this weekend. Many pics and more info to come! Can't wait!

One of those mods complete - D1-Spec Throttle Controller. A great little pick-me-up. So much so that I'm feeling like I may need that torque arm insert. Mind you, I have no idea where that is or how it exactly works, but with the extra throttle response, I feel something different when I punch the gas pedal.

How's that for vague?
So, is it similar in function to the Sport button in that it changes how the throttle responds to input? Maybe like an "adjustable" sport button, kind of?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Can't wait to see that exhaust - I remember it being basically a straight pipe, right?

Yes, the D1-Spec is the same idea as the Sprint Booster at more than half the cost. Plus more settings: 1 normal, 7 economy & 9 sport. Pretty cool. The Kid is feeling very spry.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Can't wait to see that exhaust - I remember it being basically a straight pipe, right?

Yes, the D1-Spec is the same idea as the Sprint Booster at more than half the cost. Plus more settings: 1 normal, 7 economy & 9 sport. Pretty cool. The Kid is feeling very spry.
In the sense that it deletes the muffler, yes it's a "straight pipe". That said it's mandrel bent to fit in place of the existing piping, includes the properly placed hangers, and we're debating the style of tip that we will provide if people prefer a more "finished" look than the plain racecar style.

Interesting about the D1. I wouldn't mind trying that out sometime. My biggest complaint about the throttle mapping is the delay when blipping the throttle for heel-toe downshifting. It's hard to blip consistently with the designed-in lag.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
In the sense that it deletes the muffler, yes it's a "straight pipe". That said it's mandrel bent to fit in place of the existing piping, includes the properly placed hangers, and we're debating the style of tip that we will provide if people prefer a more "finished" look than the plain racecar style.

Interesting about the D1. I wouldn't mind trying that out sometime. My biggest complaint about the throttle mapping is the delay when blipping the throttle for heel-toe downshifting. It's hard to blip consistently with the designed-in lag.
I'm interested, just as long as it's not too loud. If I recall, you said it wasn't that loud so I'm game as long as it looks good. I'd put my vote in for a slash tip - Borla's is trick, IMO. The price was certainly right on that exhaust soooo... install that thing, will ya?!?!

You'd probably like the D-1 for heel-toe, Blaine. Especially since you get on a track fairly regularly. I've been working on the heel-toe for about a year and a half now - still not perfect, but getting there. I didn't try it tonight since I just wanted to get used to the D1, but that lag is virtually gone. At SP7. I bet at SP9 it's lights out. Well worth the $150 shipped from Greasy's Garage.

As you press the throttle it also displays the percentage of throttle you're applying - at least I'm pretty sure since when I floor it, it reads 100.

Just a shot of the display...

Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
The very first production B-Spec MINI racecar exhaust arrived at my house today. Hoping to have it on this weekend. Many pics and more info to come! Can't wait!
Pictures! HP increase dyno readings!! Sound clip!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I'm interested, just as long as it's not too loud. If I recall, you said it wasn't that loud so I'm game as long as it looks good. I'd put my vote in for a slash tip - Borla's is trick, IMO. The price was certainly right on that exhaust soooo... install that thing, will ya?!?!
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Pictures! HP increase dyno readings!! Sound clip!!!
Good news! The B-Spec MINI exhaust is installed! Honestly, I like it even more than I thought I would. From the driving around I did tonight, it seems like under light load, it is only a little louder than stock, which is great for normal driving. However, when you get on it, it adds some volume and tone to the exhaust. Oh, and it's not 'tinny' or raspy like melon-shooter Honda exhaust. If anything, it has a little Subaru boxer sound to it at times. Oh, it's definitely way lighter than the stock section/muffler it replaces.

I will try to get some pics and video tomorrow. Charging up the GoPro HD2 as we speak! Sometime soon, I will get an actual weight difference, a stock vs. B-Spec exhaust comparison video, and hopefully a dyno test, too.

Stay tuned!

You'd probably like the D-1 for heel-toe, Blaine. Especially since you get on a track fairly regularly. I've been working on the heel-toe for about a year and a half now - still not perfect, but getting there. I didn't try it tonight since I just wanted to get used to the D1, but that lag is virtually gone. At SP7. I bet at SP9 it's lights out. Well worth the $150 shipped from Greasy's Garage.

As you press the throttle it also displays the percentage of throttle you're applying - at least I'm pretty sure since when I floor it, it reads 100.

Just a shot of the display...

Very interesting. I will definitely look into it. Sport mode is definitely better than non-sport mode, but a little more consistency and less lag would probably help.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Since there is no muffler, would I be right in guessing that it is more 'free flowing' than anything on the market now? I'd be curious about drone, too. Can't wait for some video. And what's the diameter at the tip end? Maybe any aftermarket tip could go on.

As far as the D-1 and heel-toe shifting, I did a little bit yesterday. Big difference. It's still not 'instant' response but much quicker on SP 7. It was almost like re-learning.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Good news! The B-Spec MINI exhaust is installed! Honestly, I like it even more than I thought I would. From the driving around I did tonight, it seems like under light load, it is only a little louder than stock, which is great for normal driving. However, when you get on it, it adds some volume and tone to the exhaust. Oh, and it's not 'tinny' or raspy like melon-shooter Honda exhaust. If anything, it has a little Subaru boxer sound to it at times. Oh, it's definitely way lighter than the stock section/muffler it replaces.

I will try to get some pics and video tomorrow. Charging up the GoPro HD2 as we speak! Sometime soon, I will get an actual weight difference, a stock vs. B-Spec exhaust comparison video, and hopefully a dyno test, too.

Stay tuned!
i can't wait for pics and clips! hate to be picky about the video clips but it would be helpful to get an inside, drive by and a start up and go (with the camera on the ground by the exhaust tip).

Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
7876_MCS
2nd Gear
Did a few aesthetic changes to Mario's appearance;

He's having red grills now, and also added a couple of Go Badges.

Fitted Brembos too;

Slight changes to his number plate frame;

Decided to swap out the stock airbox for an Apexi intake.

Under light throttle (below 2K rpm), it sounds like stock..
BUT once you give it more gas (especially >3K rpm), it emits a very angry growl..

Noticeable improved throttle response felt through the rev-band too.

A tad too loud for my liking though.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Since there is no muffler, would I be right in guessing that it is more 'free flowing' than anything on the market now? I'd be curious about drone, too. Can't wait for some video. And what's the diameter at the tip end? Maybe any aftermarket tip could go on.
Fluid dynamics can be pretty complicated, but I would think it's safe to say this is "freer flowing" than stock. That said, I don't know how much horsepower is available from exhaust mods on a Cooper. I have it from a strong source that the difference between the best and worst exhaust on a Cooper is just a handful of horsepower at best.

Regarding the tip diameter, you will probably have 2 options. One option is the "Race Tip", which, like the actual B-Spec race cars, will be a simple ~2" tip. The other option will probably be an expanded and polished tip that's 2 1/2" - 3" in diameter. The prototype I've got on the car, now, has this expanded tip, and really like the way it looks... a little more "sporty" than stock, but still subtle (reminiscent of the JCW tips). That said, you probably could go with the "Race Tip" option and then add an aftermarket tip to that, if you wanted to. I was thinking about that possibility a couple days ago when I realized that the stock tip was just held on with a set screw.

Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
i can't wait for pics and clips! hate to be picky about the video clips but it would be helpful to get an inside, drive by and a start up and go (with the camera on the ground by the exhaust tip).
I will try to do whatever videos people want. I definitely planned to do all of the ones you mentioned. I took a few with my GoPro attached to the rear tow hook, but I need to go through them, flip them (they're upside down from the way I had to mount the GoPro), edit them, etc.

At least a couple pictures should come soon, too. My only concern with posting them is that the prototype tip is a bit too short, as a natural result of the "expanded" tip option, so it's not up to "production" standards, yet. I already talked to the manufacturer about that, though, so it will be adjusted on the final version.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 7876_MCS
Fitted Brembos too;

Very nice... I thought about doing this rather than putting new pads and rotors on my stock brakes, but I'd have to go to 17" wheels, so that made it cost prohibitive.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM
7876_MCS
2nd Gear
Had my workshop fabricate a mount, to prevent the filter from 'shaking' about.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I've been busy getting ready for Sebring and beating up on the "faster" cars on the track the last couple weeks, but I finally got around to putting together a video of the B-Spec Exhaust!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I do like the sound of it. Maybe not as deep of a tone as I'd like, but the video may not be doing it much justice - especially since I'm listening to it on my iPhone.

Would really like to see an underside picture and a close-up shot of of the boot. I'm guessing you got some video from that boot mounted Go Pro? Wondering how that sounds with the skeleton back door...

Appreciate you dealing with our neediness, Blaine. But I know you understand.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
I'm guessing you got some video from that boot mounted Go Pro? Wondering how that sounds with the skeleton back door...

with go-pro's facing backwards with the skeleton back you get some harsh wind-noise. you really need a dead kitten on the back to block out the wind.

dead kitten:

Old 10-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Let's leave defenseless kittens out of this. I'm actually interested in getting through 1st and 2nd gear before wind noise gets ridiculous.

Realistically, how long do you think it will before we can buy this?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I do like the sound of it. Maybe not as deep of a tone as I'd like, but the video may not be doing it much justice - especially since I'm listening to it on my iPhone.

Would really like to see an underside picture and a close-up shot of of the boot. I'm guessing you got some video from that boot mounted Go Pro? Wondering how that sounds with the skeleton back door...

Yeah, the iPhone probably doesn't help with the lack of deep tone

But yeah, I understand your neediness haha. I do have some video from the rear towhook mounted GoPro. I've also got video inside the car and with windows open and closed. I know the sound on the GoPro isn't perfect, but I'm doing what I can

Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
with go-pro's facing backwards with the skeleton back you get some harsh wind-noise. you really need a dead kitten on the back to block out the wind.

dead kitten:
I have definitely thought of getting one of those. That said, being on the rear towhook, and actually kinda facing forward-ish (hanging out, pointing down/forward toward the exhaust), it seemed to work out OK. Maybe not great, but better than some of the wind-noise-only videos that I've had before!

I guess you guys can be the judge when I get that video put together.

Let's leave defenseless kittens out of this. I'm actually interested in getting through 1st and 2nd gear before wind noise gets ridiculous.

Realistically, how long do you think it will before we can buy this?
I think you'll get a good idea of what it sounds like by listening to the video above and the future video I'm working on.

How long? The only thing that needs to be adjusted on the product is the length of the tip when it has the expanded/polished tip like my car has. By expanding the tip, it shortens, so we need to account for that shortening. Otherwise, it's just a matter of getting the pricing nailed down (and the price for the optional expanded/polished tip) and get the shop to start making them up. It's been a seemingly slow process, but I think they legitimately *could* be making these in a matter of weeks if we don't hit any more snags.

So, what do you guys think about tip length? For me, I don't want it to stick out. I'd rather it be slightly recessed than stick out from the bumper. How about you guys?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I really appreciate all the info and the work to get us videos that help - needy ba$tard$ that we are.

I can also appreciate the time and effort it takes to get something to production - went through that same process when Integral Audio used my car to spec out their sub, amp and Soundstage. And here I am looking to drown out all that good sound with a new exhaust...

I wouldn't mind the tip length being close to stock. I would prefer that it be half as far out as stock. Definitely not further than stock, but I would like to see better pictures of yours - hard to see what it really looks like recessed in the pictures I've seen.

And what would the outlet size be? I would almost rather get it without a tip and put on this:

Attached Thumbnails Lets see all your pictures of your R56 non-S mods-15720155.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 AM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Updated mods list 1/07/2013

can't stop moddin...

2011 (Straight) Cooper
:: black-black-black/6 spd manual/dual pano sunroof/cold weather package/bluetooth-usb-ipod adapt ::

: KW V1 COILOVER SUSPENSION :: HOTCHKIS RACING REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS :: NM ENGINEERING 22MM REAR SWAY BAR ::
:: HELIX SHORT SHIFT ADAPTER :: NM ENGINEERING SHIFT ASSEMBLY COVER :: CONTI EXTREMECONTACT DWS 205/50R16 TIRES ::
:: BBS RG-F 366 WHEELS/BBS BLACK CENTER CAPS :: OEM BLACK LUGS/LOCK LUGS :: WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS ::
:: WHALEN SHIFT MACHINE :: OEM INTERIOR CHROME ACCENTS :: BLACK ALCANTARA SHIFT BOOT ::
:: OEM ENGLISH OAK DASH :: JCW BLACK LEATHER STEERING WHEEL ::
:: WINDSHIELD MOUNT FRESNEL LENS :: OEM LIDDED "ASHTRAY" CUP HOLDERS :: CONSOLE SHIFT PATTERN PLATE ::
:: OEM BLACK FACTORY GRILLE :: PROFESSIONAL BODY SHOP (BAKED ENAMEL) PAINTED BLACK HEAD/TAIL LIGHT RINGS/REAR LID BAR ::
:: CRAVEN SPEED TOE HOOK LICENSE PLATE BRACKET :: DE-YOKED HEADLIGHTS :: OUTMOTORING STUBBIE ANTENNA ::
:: OUTMOTORING BELT LINE GLOSS BLACK OUT TAPE :: $2 LOWES REAR WIPER DELETE :: WINDOW TINT 17% FRONT/35% REAR ::
:: DE-BADGED REAR HATCH :: X-PEL CLEAR BRA :: FES AUTO SPORT MODE MODULE :: SPRINT BOOSTER POWER CONVERTER ::
:: DDMWORKS INTAKE :: VIP SILENCER DELETE INTAKE TUBE :: WHITE SCUTTLE SIDE LIGHT LENSES :: CRAVENSPEED OIL DIP STICK ::
:: MILLTEK CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM :: SIDE MARKER REFLECTOR TINT FILM :: OEM BLACK GRILLE SURROUND ::
:: BAVAUTO REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR :: NM ENGINEERING TORQUE ARM INSERT ::

Last edited by S&CLC; 01-07-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Car looks awesome, Pete! I'm hoping to have an update on this thread soon.

On that list (now I know why you don't include it in your sig, ha ha) which is the latest?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Car looks awesome, Pete! I'm hoping to have an update on this thread soon.

On that list (now I know why you don't include it in your sig, ha ha) which is the latest?
Thanks very much Albiecrazy...

The latest? Actually, it's not on the list, I had the galvanized sheet metal header shield powdercoated. (And got 2 more goodies on the way soon. Scary, I know.) And as you can see, haven't decided on having the roof painted a contrasting color or not.

I will be waiting for the undated look pictures on "The Kid" here real soon, I hope...
And by the way, did you do a front MINI emblem delete in the new look?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I really appreciate all the info and the work to get us videos that help - needy ba$tard$ that we are.

I can also appreciate the time and effort it takes to get something to production - went through that same process when Integral Audio used my car to spec out their sub, amp and Soundstage. And here I am looking to drown out all that good sound with a new exhaust...

I wouldn't mind the tip length being close to stock. I would prefer that it be half as far out as stock. Definitely not further than stock, but I would like to see better pictures of yours - hard to see what it really looks like recessed in the pictures I've seen.

And what would the outlet size be? I would almost rather get it without a tip and put on this:

Anybody know about the Mini offered tip? It says that it offers "auditory enhancement". My 2008 base has a low growl to it and the tip looks similar to this. My 2012 has a smaller tip and a "buzzier" sound. Can anybody provide any insight into this? Thanks.

Last edited by mini coop; 01-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets see all your pictures of your R56 non-S mods