Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

The definitive intake test: aFe vs. DDM

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The definitive intake test: aFe vs. DDM

After a lot of talk and a lot claims by all of the board posting their thoughts, opinions, and experiences, I decided to test my current intake (aFe Stage 1) against the Way/DDM works intake. I will be testing both intakes under real world driving conditions and in a very constant climate (the city of Atlanta, GA) our average temperature has been 92 degrees during the day and 82 at night. The temperature is very constant here as is the humidity and barometric pressure. In my previous city of residence (Denver, CO) this test would have proven difficult due to the massive amount of weather variation. Here, I am driving in the same weather everyday.

I recently moved to Atlanta for work, which consequentially is the home of Way Motor Works. I had to get some service done to my car when I arrived, so I looked Waylen up and had them take care of it rather than the local dealership Way Motor Works has always had a strong reputation among us Mini-acs and I knew my car was in good hands. While my car was serviced, Way noticed that I had the aFe intake installed on my car…

Way and I were talking about how this intake and his intake were a hot topic of discussion on the forum as of late and we wanted to set the record straight on which system would out perform the other! I volunteered to give an unbiased write up of each intake system. At the end of this test, I will post my thoughts on each system. The things I am looking at are:

1. Fit and finish (fitment of the product, quality of materials)
2. Ease of maintenance (install difficulty, instructions of care)
3. Overall performance (throttle response, power, sound)

I believe that there will be one that rises above the other. I hope this test gives a more definitive answer to the question “Which intake should I get for my R50?” This is one performance mod that our cars can actually utilize and one that truly does make difference! Wouldn’t you want the most bang for your buck?

A little background on each company before we start:

DDMWorks: Unit Cost Direct: $189.00

(the following information is taken directly from ddmworks.com)

About Us
We are a research, design and development company offering stylish and unique products for the Ariel Atom, Miata, Mini, Sky, Solstice and other car enthusiast communities.
DDMWorks was started by the husband and wife team Dave and Ivy Michel in 2005. The focus of our company is to provide research proven products for performance automobiles in the most fun, friendly and professional way possible. If you would like to find out more about our products please shop our online store or give us a call (864)438-4949. We look forward to serving you and your performance needs!

aFe: Unit Cost Direct: $219.45

(the following information is taken directly from afepower.com)

About Us

Advanced Flow Engineering, Inc. (aFe) produces high flow, high performance air filters & intake systems for the automotive industry. Founded in April, 1999, aFe was created to address an obvious need in the automotive aftermarket industry: a lack of choice for a high performance aftermarket air filter.
We are a team of engineers, machinists, production and sales people who believe in the product we design. We each have years of experience in our respective positions and together work to ensure that we have the best product on the market. Our purpose was not just to be another vendor that offers air filters, we chose to pay attention to those finer details that set an aFe filter apart from the competition.
We currently offer aftermarket air filters for passenger cars, light trucks and SUV's. We also have many applications for round racing and universal clamp-on filters. To find your particular application, please use our new search engines. If you do not see your particular application listed, please contact us.

Mission Statement -
We are in business to provide an exceptional value for our customers by offering the highest quality automotive products that will enhance their vehicles performance. We shall do so in an ethical manner, striving to achieve the highest growth rate in the industry, while being conscious of the environment and taking care of our most important asset: our employees.

1. Fit and finish- aFe
· The aFe intake system seems to be developed to be what many tuners would call an “OE Sport” upgrade. The system itself replaces the stock air box only and the new heat shield fits perfectly into the place of the old box. The aFe retains use of the original system’s air hose and the OEM mounting holes are utilized on the new heat shield as well. The filter fits direct into the housing, needing no adjustment or modification. The fitment of this unit is perfect and the ease of installation was apparent as it took me 20 minutes to install this unit with some household tools and a somewhat limited knowledge of wrenching on m car (I can bolt things on, work on stereos, and do some things around the engine bay, but by no means am I a mechanical genius.)

The materials to this unit are top notch as well. The filter is made of a substantial polyurethane base and the filtration pleats are uniform and undistorted. The air box is made of a thick gauge steel and is formed perfectly to the contour of the hood of the mini, creating a great seal between the new box and the hood liner. Even Way commented on the seal it had created. aFe has created a well built piece here.

The DDM also has a tough heat shield, yet the fitment wasn’t quite as good as the aFe. It doesn’t seem as if the heat shield will form as well to the hood, creating the proper seal for the intake to truly function (this is without driving it). The air filter doesn’t feel as substantial, as it is made out of poly foam composite rather than a gauze and polyurethane like the aFe. The unit replaces all of the factory tubing, which is more of an “aftermarket performance” unit for sure. This piece looks more aggressive than the aFe, as it does replace a lot of OEM hardware. The install required more pieces to be removed and while it took Way about 20 minutes to do this, I would guess that the novice would install this piece in about 45 minutes to an hour. If the performance gains are that much better in the DDM/WAY intake, then I would say the time would be well worth it!

2. Ease of maintenance:
· This is truly a tie. The cost of a cleaning kit at aFe is roughly $11 for either a dry filter or an oiled filter. DDMWorks sells the Uni Filter cleaning kit for about $15. Both cleaning kit should be used in regular intervals; and you should always check to see how dirty your filter is. If you have one of these systems installed, a clean filter is a happy and properly functioning filter!

With that being said, the main reason I chose the aFe to begin with was the lack of oiling of the filter. Where DDM only offers the Uni Filter for its intake, which is made from foam and needs regular oiling for proper maintenance, aFe offers both an oiled and a dry filter option. The lack of oil makes for a cleaner throttle body and intake tract, and is a much cleaner process when cleaning the filter itself. When I lived in Denver, the amount of dirt and dust was considerably more than Atlanta or many other regions of country for that matter. The oiled products tended to soak in dust and oiled filters tended to wear out faster than dry or oil-less products. This was my main contributing factor to going with a dry filter. In all honesty, living in a more humid environment than Denver and one with less dust such as Atlanta, I may have chosen an oiled filter.

The DDM could certainly be fitted with a dry flow filter like the aFe or one from the likes of AEM, but this incurs extra expense above the original asking price and would take the DDM/WAY intake above the aFe price point. If cost is an issue, then this may be something to consider.

3. Overall performance- DDM
· To briefly put it, the DDM outperforms the aFe, period. The design of the OE sport vs. performance upgrade is ever present here. DDM/WAY intake has a single, small bent tube that feeds air directly into the throttle body, accounting for much faster response. The car feels much more peppy around town, and the throttle recovery is instantly there when changing gears and driving through traffic. I actually found myself not downshifting like I usually do when changing lanes in the city after being caught in traffic. The aFe unit that I am used to has a boost over stock performance but it is not as crisp as the DDM/WAY. The aFe still has three bends and an OEM tube to push air through, so its response is slightly duller, albeit better than stock.

Again, the power is definitely there on the DDM in a wider range of the power band. I have better response down low in the DDM/WAY, whereas the aFe really kicks in at about 2800 RPM. The DDM/WAY is felt almost instantly. The power of the DDM/Way as you roll through the gears still provides great response, whereas the aFe does feel a bit more bogged down. When I get on the aFe, it pulls well at higher RPM and the DDM does as well. Once these intakes hit about 3700 RPM, they feel nearly identical in their delivery of power. However, throughout the lower rev range and even in the mid range, the Way/DDM is the best performer of the two.

And of course, we all love a car that sounds more aggressive, right? The DDM/WAY is more aggressive throughout the spectrum for sure. The car sounds gruff, almost mean (not kidding). It has a n excellent engine note that only gets better through the power band. I enjoyed driving the car like this around town, but wonder how it would be on a road trip?

The aFe intake has the same aggressive tone, but only when you are jumping on it. When driving around town, the aFe equipped R50 sounded very mild, with a slight accent in tone. Once you reach 3200 RPM, the intake begins to sound much sportier. It reminded me of my old GSR Integra form back in the day. When the V-Tec kicked in on that car @ 5500 rpm, the car sounded much sportier. However, under regular driving, it sounds very normal. Throughout my time owning the aFe intake, I have road tripped a few times (once to move to the ATL) and the intake was very livable on the highway. This is a personal preference, but I prefer the mild mannered nature of the sound of the aFe. Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of the cooper at WOT, but only when I am really getting on it do I want it to sound that way!

The Way/DDM does sound great and it has changed the note of the car, even to my fellow co-workers. I even had one ask what I did to the engine since it was so much louder than before!

The DDM and the aFe both sound great.

In conclusion, what did I think?

The DDM is a great product and for the person looking for pure performance, it absolutely outperforms the aFe, period. The fact of the matter is both intakes are well built by reputable companies based here in the states. I would buy either with confidence. The aFe is for the customer looking for a basic bolt on upgrade and the DDM is better for the customer looking for the most performance bang for the buck. In the end, the DDM outperforms the aFe.

Which one did I decide to take? Well, I was thinking there would be no way I would trade out for the Way/DDM, but now I am thinking about it... It may be a couple of days before I get settled on either one, both have such benefit over stock, but the more aggressive tuning of the Way/DDM has me excited to have an R50 again! I could only imagine what it would feel like with a good mild ECU tune...

Hope this becomes a sticky and please feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited by rjtrout2000; 08-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
FeaR50
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any M.P.G. gain?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post, thanks very much for taking the time! I'm seeing more and more people modding R50's here, which is great. The more information and experience for us out there, the better.

I have the aFe and I really enjoy it. I agonized over this very decision, and went with aFe because I felt the filter itself was likely better compared to the foam in the Way/DDM. However, if a used Way/DDM comes up in the marketplace here, I may be tempted to give it a shot to see if I find the same conclusions as you did.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
nopistons
3rd Gear
I like the foam filters better myself. I'm no expert, but in my experience, all my high performance dirt bikes and ATVs used foam....so that's got to mean something right?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nopistons
I like the foam filters better myself. I'm no expert, but in my experience, all my high performance dirt bikes and ATVs used foam....so that's got to mean something right?
Yeah it means they work good offroad. It may or may not help in an on-street application. It all depends, it may not be the best choice every time.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FeaR50
Any M.P.G. gain?
Honestly, I didn't see much of a MPG gain in either intake. I would say that around town fuel economy, I felt like the aFe was slightly better (car's avg. went down by 1 MPG when DDM was installed)

Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Yeah it means they work good offroad. It may or may not help in an on-street application. It all depends, it may not be the best choice every time.
Also very true! Foam does give the best flow, but the filtration isn't always as good as a K&N or gauze filter from what I understand. I think this question is purely application specific when it comes to which filter is better!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I don't monitor my MPG very closely, but I haven't noticed any drastic change with the aFe over stock.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
aFe actually held about the same MPG as stock. I had the panel filter beforehand and I noticed the aFe had effect either way in MPG. It sounds better and has more pep, but not change either way MPG

Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
nopistons
3rd Gear
Is the AFE filter paper, or cotton like the K&N?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
The aFe (the oiled one anyway, Pro 5r) is five layers of progressively tighter weave cotton.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Dry filter is polyurethane and cotton mix

Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
ridler
1st Gear
DDM plus RMW ECU Tune

Raw performance was what drew me to the DDM, knowing I have a NA car with few opportunities to make a large difference with out going into the thousands. I have recently added both a DDM CAI and later an ECU Tune, and feel a massive difference vs. stock. The DDM allows that stronger upper end, gained with the ecu tune, to suck in atmosphere and keep accelerating hard.

Hope the cam and exhaust add even more!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ridler
Raw performance was what drew me to the DDM, knowing I have a NA car with few opportunities to make a large difference with out going into the thousands. I have recently added both a DDM CAI and later an ECU Tune, and feel a massive difference vs. stock. The DDM allows that stronger upper end, gained with the ecu tune, to suck in atmosphere and keep accelerating hard.

Hope the cam and exhaust add even more!
The performance aspect is what is making me think about keeping the DDM intake on here. Way and his partners built an excellent performance piece with this intake, and since I now live in a climate that this air filter should be OK in, I may end up going with the more performance oriented setup!

Decisions...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
If you end up keeping the aFe and you want to sell the DDM cheap...

I'm curious now!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
The intake may not be coming off. The more I drive it, the more I like the added bit of response. Stay tuned...

Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Well, after some careful consideration, I decided that I am going to keep the DDM on for now. The performance is definitely better and I am getting used to the car sounding so aggressive. Now, I need to ask myself about the tuning options my car has and whether or not that would make a significant impact!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Definitely let me know if you get a tune! I've got the Borla on now, and it sounds mean as hell with some increased torque according to the butt dyno.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Is the DDM really going to be much louder? Even annoying on the freeway?

I want to add one to the MRS. but she would hate extra freeway noise...

Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
ridler
1st Gear
my .02 cents on the noise level.

It was throaty or growly, at around 4k on up while accelerating but not loud. Cruising on the freeway it hasn't been loud. I say 'was throaty' because after i got the ecu tune, the sound was more subtle. Not sure why as the hp was definitely more pronounced from 4k on up. Kinda miss the WOT growl it had at first.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by duvinclunk
Is the DDM really going to be much louder? Even annoying on the freeway?

I want to add one to the MRS. but she would hate extra freeway noise...
You hardly notice it at cruise on the highway, not annoying at all.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You hardly notice it at cruise on the highway, not annoying at all.
Like Way said, not annoying while cruising at all. I personally am loving the louder intake noise and the engine sound is incredible at a higher rev. This is a top quality mod

Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
pdx_wee_car
1st Gear
Confused now.....

Okay, now I'm confused. I was set on the DDM - actually from the installation aspect of not cutting holes.

So the thing is that I was looking at having mini-madness do a pulley change and they offer a CAI install (yes I know it isn't hard) so i was considering theirs.

Here's what I'm confused about:
Per DDM: Our UNI dual [foam] stage filter provides vastly more air flow with superior filtering over paper or cloth filters.
Per Mini-Madness: [Our] pleated cotton filter element provides higher airflow than foam filters.
So if I understand from what's said above, the answer is "it depends on other factors" and I should treat both statements with skepticism?

I can't see much written around here about the Madness CAI though....

Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
From what I understand, a cotton gauze filter will provide better filtration, yet the air flow isn't as high as the foam. The Foam is lighter, less dense, and allows more air to travel through it. I could go into a lengthy explanation on this, but gauze is used as a medical bandage for breathability and filtration. Foam flows a lot of air volume, just doesn't filter dirt as well.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by pdx_wee_car
Okay, now I'm confused. I was set on the DDM - actually from the installation aspect of not cutting holes.

So the thing is that I was looking at having mini-madness do a pulley change and they offer a CAI install (yes I know it isn't hard) so i was considering theirs.

Here's what I'm confused about:
Per DDM: Our UNI dual [foam] stage filter provides vastly more air flow with superior filtering over paper or cloth filters.
Per Mini-Madness: [Our] pleated cotton filter element provides higher airflow than foam filters.
So if I understand from what's said above, the answer is "it depends on other factors" and I should treat both statements with skepticism?

I can't see much written around here about the Madness CAI though....
One answer, MARKETING

Through our testing on R53 S we found the foam to flow better and actually make more power than cotton air filters.

FYI this is the NON S intake that this thread is about

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Quick Reply: The definitive intake test: aFe vs. DDM