Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Cooper Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok i started a topic like this before but was flamed because there was a post long long ago where Cooper owners discussed there mods.

What options does a Cooper owner have for exhaust? What option's for intake?

Post what you got and what kind of gains you have had, or post links to Parts available for the COOPER

Old 05-13-2004, 09:03 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Why don't you do a search then or go investigate what the NAM sponsors have to offer?

It doesn't take much.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:15 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
>>Why don't you do a search then or go investigate what the NAM sponsors have to offer?
>>
>>It doesn't take much.

FLAMED AGAIN

I think things have changed so much since "long long ago" that this is a good question for Cooper owners. Everything that is tried and works/doesn't work is not posted here.

Yes, look around at the sponsors first, see what is available, and find what you think you might want and then ask if anyone has this is a good way to go, but, just asking is a whole lot quicker to find something that may not be listed on the sponsors' sites.

Earl

Old 05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'll answer instead of flaming.

Exhausts:
Helix (www.helix13.com)
Rspeed (www.rspeed.net)
Magnaflow (dunno.. check ebay )
Borla (helix can get these also)
There is a Rogue exhuast also (one for sale REALLY CHEAP in marketplace too)
there may be more also...

Intake:
BMP/ProMINI (outmotoring.com)
Moss
Rspeed
K&N Typhoon

For intakes.. I had the ProMINI and would say it was very nice - the Typhoon also sounds great.

For exhausts, I've heard all but the rspeed - and the Borla sounds AWESOME, but the helix one, IMHO, is the best sounding.

Don't look for too much power out of any of them.. but look for more fun via acoustics... and some power.

Helix exhaust may make the most HP, some say Rspeed makes the most torque. Who knows.. buy one that sounds good to you, or is the right price.

Same for intakes.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
I apologize for recommending a little homework.

no_affiliation has been around long enough to know where to look for information.

Treasurer, SCMM | paul@scmm.org

Old 05-13-2004, 09:33 AM
dandp
6th Gear
There is a several page long thread pertaining only to Cooper mods....believe me, not that much has changed on the Cooper scene in the 2 years I had owned the vehicle.

Start out with suspension - this is an area where the car will benefit immensely. Lower it, put a set of H&R springs on. Adjustable rear sway bar. Get a set of good summer tires.

Exhaust & intake definitely make it a more aggressive sounding car, and add a little more power. But don't expect it to become an MCS.

When I went back to stock, it was shocking how different a car it was - and the suspension was one area that I couldn't believe the difference. And it just wasn't the same hitting the gas and revving it up to redline without the intake and exhaust combo.

But, the car is pretty well tuned from the factory assuming one drives it "correctly" And I am talking redline shifts....

Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
it seems almost cliche at this point since everyone says it over and over again..

but it is true.

get a good set of wheels/tires.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I'm running the BMP/Promini intake and a Borla exhaust and couldn't be much happier. I also threw on a set of Kingsborne 9mm wires, just for grins. Sounds wicked... In fact, I've had several compliments on the sound at our local BMWCCA chapter's autocrosses.

I love my H&R springs, H&R 19mm rear swaybar setup, too (stiffest setting). Made a major difference in the car's handling.

But the biggest difference came from some lightweight Rota Slipstreams and some 205/50R16 Yokohama ES100's... seems to get up faster and stop faster. And, need I say more, the Yoko's don't mind being pushed hard (unlike the factory NCT-5's!).

Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
I heard the Rspeed and the Borla exhausts at the Dragon and would say that they both sound great, but the Borla is a bit louder, so it just depends on your preference. The Borla on the MC was one of the favorites at the Dragon exhaust shoot-out event. I bought the Rspeed the next week and installed it last weekend...so far I'm very happy with it.

Next on my list of mods to do: MCS shocks, H-sport springs, H-sport rear swaybar.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:59 PM
cometgirl63
2nd Gear
I did several mods around the same time and it felt like a different car when I got her out again.

RSpeed exhaust- LOVE the sound & no hiway drone. I had heard a borla and a magnaflow, but loved the sound of the Rspeed MCS exhaust so much that I had to get theirs for my cooper. I still haven't heard the Helix or the Remus.

K&N drop-in air filter- had to stay stock size if I wanted stay in HS for autox.

Konis all around- definitely a difference in feel. I have the fronts at 1/4 turn from full firm and the backs are set a half. backend comes around just the way I like.

I also use some lighter rims and Toyos for autox. I can't wait to ditch the runflats and get some decent tires for everyday use. Might even get some lighter everyday rims next year, already blew too much $$ this year! lol hhhmmm, xmas maybe?

amanda

oh yeah, no dyno yet, just definite improvement on seat of the pants feel!

Old 05-13-2004, 04:09 PM
2perCooper
5th Gear
First thing im going to do is suspension. I just got my H&R spings, and H-Sport front and rear sway bars (going to get installed on monday ), I also have 17" Enkei RPM2s on Yokohama ES100s. Those are going on once the suspension is on. And yesterday the man driving the brown truck stopped by and gave me my Supersprint exhaust. Next on the list is an intake...which I am still deciding on which one to get. K&N, BMP, Pipercross, Green Twister....soo many to choose from, guess Ill get back to my research.

-chris

Old 05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For exhausts, I'll have to second much of what's already been said:

RSpeed - Great sound, good power, very subtle tip, $458

Helix - Great louder sound, good power, beautiful tip, $549

Intakes, well, just don't do much on the Cooper. I would save your money and get a quality drop in: Green UK, K&N, BMC, Pipercross, or UNIFilter. The intakes do increase the sound, so if that's what you are looking for, the BMP is a good unit as suggested.

This UNIFilter is $39.

For suspension on the Cooper, it really depends on which one you have to figure out which swaybar set up to go with. Let me know and I'd be happy to hand out suggestions - SS or SS+.

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 05-13-2004, 07:18 PM
115hp
5th Gear
MOSS currently has a dual stage foam filter on sale for $14.95.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust thread

another thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:09 PM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
I installed on my Cooper what I call the SS++

Koni shocks, elbach spring and 19mm alta sway bar.

Oh yeah! is it tight.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:14 PM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Oh BTW Peter I'm waiting for a production Turbo.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:10 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
I have the Moss Intake, S-sway bar, BMP strut brace, and soon will hopefully be beta testing the M7 Turbo through Randy here in town. I plan on exhaust, suspension (read coil overs and control arms), H-sport sways front and rear, brake upgrade, etc. Most of my other mods have been cosmetic, subtle style elements, but as for performance, just making things a bit tighter. I am also running on 17" rims with a 215-40-17 ContiExtremeContact...great all season, but will soon get dedicated summer tires.

Once I get a chance to talk with Randy considering other issues, I will figure out time frame on the Turbo testing and will have full details for everyone.

cheers
jon

Old 05-16-2004, 04:43 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>Ok i started a topic like this before but was flamed because there was a post long long ago where Cooper owners discussed there mods.

There are many many threads on upgrades for the MC. Here are a few and they are worth reading for the links and discussion.
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...mp;topic=26562
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...mp;topic=16836
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...mp;topic=16140
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...mp;topic=14689
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...mp;topic=10560

>>What options does a Cooper owner have for exhaust? What option's for intake?
Read the threads above and what randyBMC wrote. Then see below.

>>Post what you got and what kind of gains you have had, or post links to Parts available for the COOPER
There are not many gains to be had from intake, exhaust, etc so don't think it will be like the MCS. Maybe 2-3 HP from the intake if that much. ProMini intake looks nice and makes for some intake noise but really works close to the drop in filters such as the Green filter or a good foam filter.

Exhausts- if you like loud and more powerful (4-5 HP) then Helix MC exhaust is good, if you are on a budget then Rspeed exhaust is good.

Good old thread on exhausts for the MC
http://69.93.166.248/modules.php?op=...amp;topic=5527

Suspension- If you have Sport suspension plus as an option that was ordered then you might only need a 19mm adjustable rear swaybar and some light rims and sticky non runflat tires. Falcon Azenis Sport (rougher riding and less treadwear) or Bridgestone Potenza Pole position S-03 (expensive) are good for street and autocross. For a budget consider Yokohama ES100 tires.

A word about old threads-
My opinion is that in general old threads are very good. Often times the discussion is good and the basics are the same. New items do surface from time to time but the approach remains the same.

Always ask yourself what do you want to use the MINI for? Street, commuting, autocross, track, or other.
What is your budget? What is your vision of that your final modded MINI will look like? Think before you buy.
Check out what others have in your local area, listen to the exhaust, go for a ride, decide for yourself.

Old 05-16-2004, 05:15 AM
sdanaher
4th Gear
I said it at the top of the thread.. and I will say it again.

With an exhaust for the MC - the biggest difference you can expect is sound. I've driven/riden in a bunch of different MCs with exhausts.

The one constant: louder. So listen to them and decide what you like. Online sound samples are nice... and often helpful - but no substitue for being on a highway at 70 mph (read: magnaflow)

Old 05-16-2004, 10:57 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
At our recent track event we had one MC blazing around the track and overtaking many a BMW.

It had a drop in intake filter, Helix13 MC exhaust, H-sport springs and 7 hole 15" stock rims with Falken Azenis Sport 205/50-15 tires.

Given those mods I'd say there was quite a bit of driver skill and a pretty good working and loud Helix exhaust. Power was not a problem. Light rims (these are 12 pounds each) and sticky tires go a long way to help. Some say he had the loudest car on the track that day.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:30 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>The one constant: louder. So listen to them and decide what you like. Online sound samples are nice... and often helpful - but no substitue for being on a highway at 70 mph (read: magnaflow)

I'm in the market for an exhaust. Do you mean the Magnaflow is louder than others, esp. at 70 mph??

Thanks