Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Strut bushings and strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Mr_Knurt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut bushings and strut mounts

Hello all!

I just joined the forum because I want to learn about my car and start doing maintenance on my own. With that said, my Mini dealership recently told me I need to take care of the following:

"Both push strut bushings are coming apart"
"Both strut mounts need replacement"
"Alignment"

Frankly I don't know where to begin my education, so if any of you good folks would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, I would be enormously grateful!

Oh! One more detail,my car is a 2006 Mini Cooper (nothing fancy).

Thanks!

Mr_Knurt

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
lizandrooo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mr. Knurt,

Ok so this is tough. ill start by telling you the common MINI Cooper faults
Typically, you always have to keep a look out for

1. strut tower mushrooming
2. Power steering failure (keep an eye on the reservoir leaks & steering rack bellows)
3. Thermostat leakage (you'll have to replace the reservoir & housing)
4. Cooling fan resistor (I found that it is directly exposed to the elements through the front hood opening, not S scoop lol, but protected by foam)
5. Control Arm Bushing is just as susceptible to failure like the strut tower bushing. best solution is new wide camber plates & Aftermarket CTRL arm bushings NOT OEM.
6. Last, but not least, prepare for the MIDLANDS transmission to fail. Replace the transmission fluid once a year and you can prolong the failure but it is eventually inevitable.

One thing I am doing to make this car last for as long as I can, I decided to study the most complex processes and study the bentley manual, among other things. I find this car to be the perfect balance between technology and Manual work. So I am studying the replacement of the tranny to a 6 speed getrag (w/QUAIFE LSD).

So basically, if you want to mod anything, its a great idea to start with the sub frame assembly and work your way up. Sure adding an intake could bring about a nice boost in fun but i'd rather just drive the speed limit until I can replace the MIDLANDS. I hope I'm not too gloomy for you :/

Last edited by lizandrooo; 01-16-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't Mr. Knurt asking for how to replace his strut bushings and mounts for now? His are messed up and he wants to know how to go about replacing them.

Good advice, though, lizandroo, as far as things to watch out for. If he has a Cooper with the MIDLANDS automatic transmission, then it is something to keep an eye on.

Mr Knurt, most people get the repair book to start, but you might also price out a good independent mechanic. Dealerships charge a great deal more than an independent might. If you need a list of good independent mechanics, there is a link that someone has, so just ask. :-)

Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Step 1: Buy a Bentley
Step 2: Follow Instructions in Bentley
Step 3: Profit?

Strut mounts aren't too bad. The rears will be easier than the fronts. You'll need to buy/borrow/rent a spring compressor. Air tools help otherwise you'll have to figure out how to get the strut top nut off. You'll also have to figure out how to get the strut out of the knuckle. It's kind of a pain when they're rusted together.

An alignment you'll have to take to a shop. You can do it self but it'll take you probably 4-5 hours the first time you do it yourself. It's a pain. I don't recommend it. Spend the $60 and have a shop do it.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
lizandrooo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Isn't Mr. Knurt asking for how to replace his strut bushings and mounts for now? His are messed up and he wants to know how to go about replacing them.

Good advice, though, lizandroo, as far as things to watch out for. If he has a Cooper with the MIDLANDS automatic transmission, then it is something to keep an eye on.

Mr Knurt, most people get the repair book to start, but you might also price out a good independent mechanic. Dealerships charge a great deal more than an independent might. If you need a list of good independent mechanics, there is a link that someone has, so just ask. :-)
Dude, I totally misread that! Sorry guys.