Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

performance pckge on 06 mini

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:17 AM
stump
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance pckge on 06 mini

I am looking into getting a mini, and was building one on the web site. My question is the jcw pkge for the mini worth it. All it stats is an airfilter, stainless steel exhaust, and software for the ecu. The price is 1100 for it and it will be under warnanty. Tried looking up info for this cna anyboy give some input on this.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey stump,
Welcome to the site (??? One post in 2+ years? ). Your post is in the 2007 (next generation) MINI forum, where it's unlikely to be seen by very many people. Try sending a PM to a moderator and see if they can move it to MINI Talk or Performace Mods.

Chris

Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by stump
I am looking into getting a mini, and was building one on the web site. My question is the jcw pkge for the mini worth it. All it stats is an airfilter, stainless steel exhaust, and software for the ecu. The price is 1100 for it and it will be under warnanty. Tried looking up info for this cna anyboy give some input on this.
For MC it is $1,100

As of right now there is no aftermarket intakes for the 05-06 MC, K&N has one coming out for $150. 3.5 HP gain

MTH Standard file is $170 8 hp gain
Remaps are $50 each time.

MTH Tuner file is $360 12 months free unlimited upgrades. 18 hp gain

MTH Tuner file is less expensive than Standard file + 4 remaps.

MTH cable is $110

Borla Cat back is $630 10 hp gain

Lets consider you have a laptop and go MTH Standard. Provided you do the intake and cat back first Then Add the MTH Standard You are looking 21.5 hp gain for $1060. But only if the MTH is added after the intake and cat back are added. Do the MTH first and remap it after each of the intake and installs and you are now $1160

MTH Tuner would be 31.5 hp gain for $1250. Do it in any order same price

MINIUSA does not tell you the hp gain of the JCW kit for the MCS.

This is not an exhaustive study of all brands but one of the most common brands

Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for 1100 bucks, i believe he is talking about the MINI Sound Package for the COOPER.

All i can say is SCAM!

It adds a cheap filter and a rather stock-like exhaust, then follows up with a weakly ECU upgrade. and its DEALER INSTALLED!

hardly a deal, your bettr off getting aftermarket and takeing your chances with the warranty issures, seeing you wont ever have any if you only add an exhaust and intake.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
stump
Neutral
performace pkge

Thanks for the info guys. Chrisnl thnks for the help and yes I am a lurker on this board and enjoy the topics on the cooper and cooper s. DrDiff I think you are talking about the cooper s. That seems alot of hp for a non s. Rednwhitecooper I see bmw is strict on warranty also as Vw. I put an cold air intake and maf went out and blamed it on the intake. Later they put a letter saying they did have a problem with it. Any way thanks for the help guys and will still be lurking around the boards.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Stump: No that info was for the MC. I eventually wish to get my MC into the 140-150 hp range. MTH Tunerfile is one of my planned mods. I want to get a baseline pull first. The 06 is supposed to have a good intake and I would like to see if a CAI will truly help. It may only be a "noisy" mod.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
For MC it is $1,100

As of right now there is no aftermarket intakes for the 05-06 MC, K&N has one coming out for $150. 3.5 HP gain

MTH Standard file is $170 8 hp gain
Remaps are $50 each time.

MTH Tuner file is $360 12 months free unlimited upgrades. 18 hp gain

MTH Tuner file is less expensive than Standard file + 4 remaps.

MTH cable is $110

Borla Cat back is $630 10 hp gain

Lets consider you have a laptop and go MTH Standard. Provided you do the intake and cat back first Then Add the MTH Standard You are looking 21.5 hp gain for $1060. But only if the MTH is added after the intake and cat back are added. Do the MTH first and remap it after each of the intake and installs and you are now $1160

MTH Tuner would be 31.5 hp gain for $1250. Do it in any order same price

MINIUSA does not tell you the hp gain of the JCW kit for the MCS.

This is not an exhaustive study of all brands but one of the most common brands
First, you can not just add claimed HP numbers together, it doesn't work that way.

K&N 57i is out, it is just on back-order, and there is no claim from K&N about a power increase. The old Typhoon for '02-'04 claimed 3.4hp.

Steve

Old 11-01-2005, 03:23 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mielnicki
First, you can not just add claimed HP numbers together, it doesn't work that way.
What he said!!!

Not only that but your just taking vendor claims. 18HP gain from the tuner file ... wheres the proof? Talk to Randy about that and see what he says.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Cooper JCW sound package

Can't believe all the Cooper Sound Kit haters out there. If you PM me, I'll be glad to give you my impressions after I take delivery of my '06 in December. I ordered the JCW Sound Pkg. kit for a couple of reasons. First, no matter what anyone tells you, at least half the reason car freaks like us buy aftermarket exhausts is the sound. I've heard some good sound bites of this exhaust and read the testimony of some people like Gabe and Motoringfile and I think it will be great. I frankly believe that the difference in intake is also primarily for the sound, and that in truth most of the aftermarket exhausts and intakes make primarily placebo performance gains - take a stock mini (including MCS) out to a drag strip or race course some time and see if there is any significant difference in measured performance against one with an aftermarket intake/exhaust. Don't get me wrong, I've put aftermarket (Forge, Supersprint) exhausts on both my audi's and on other cars I've owned, but I don't kid myself that they make them significantly faster. And as someone else pointed out in this thread, any measurable hp and torque figures from mods aren't cumulative except for "thread racing" i.e. you can't say you got "10 hp from the exhaust, plus another 5 hp from the intake, plus another 10 hp from the ecu flash" - it doesn't work that way. I ordered the Sound Kit because it won't f*&) up my warranty, it'll likely sound great, and the ECU is supposed to give a bit more drivability and grunt down low where I might actually feel it. It won't screw my resale, and the $1100 isn't much more than I'd pay for an aftermarket exhaust plus intake, plus ecu, which would probably hurt my resale value down the road. If the exhaust rattles or there are any other problems I can take it back to the dealer to correct. If I want to go with MTH once I drive my car, I still can, and then return it to stock if and when I want to. Finally, if they were trying to "Scam" people, they probably wouldn't call it a "Sound Kit."

Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini552
Can't believe all the Cooper Sound Kit haters out there. If you PM me, I'll be glad to give you my impressions after I take delivery of my '06 in December. I ordered the JCW Sound Pkg. kit for a couple of reasons. First, no matter what anyone tells you, at least half the reason car freaks like us buy aftermarket exhausts is the sound. I've heard some good sound bites of this exhaust and read the testimony of some people like Gabe and Motoringfile and I think it will be great. I frankly believe that the difference in intake is also primarily for the sound, and that in truth most of the aftermarket exhausts and intakes make primarily placebo performance gains - take a stock mini (including MCS) out to a drag strip or race course some time and see if there is any significant difference in measured performance against one with an aftermarket intake/exhaust. Don't get me wrong, I've put aftermarket (Forge, Supersprint) exhausts on both my audi's and on other cars I've owned, but I don't kid myself that they make them significantly faster. And as someone else pointed out in this thread, any measurable hp and torque figures from mods aren't cumulative except for "thread racing" i.e. you can't say you got "10 hp from the exhaust, plus another 5 hp from the intake, plus another 10 hp from the ecu flash" - it doesn't work that way. I ordered the Sound Kit because it won't f*&) up my warranty, it'll likely sound great, and the ECU is supposed to give a bit more drivability and grunt down low where I might actually feel it. It won't screw my resale, and the $1100 isn't much more than I'd pay for an aftermarket exhaust plus intake, plus ecu, which would probably hurt my resale value down the road. If the exhaust rattles or there are any other problems I can take it back to the dealer to correct. If I want to go with MTH once I drive my car, I still can, and then return it to stock if and when I want to. Finally, if they were trying to "Scam" people, they probably wouldn't call it a "Sound Kit."
Well, if you like spending your money on things that make the car go faster, its a blatant scam!

All the kit does is change the sound of the car, and i cannot see how you could justify spending $1100 for something that you could put on aftermarket to change the sound for under 300 bucks!

An intake from Moss - $100 bucks
OBX exhuast on ebay - $170 bucks

at least the OBX would free up something in the exhaust system. the sound kit exhaust only changes the muffler out of a basicly stock setup to change the tone.

and to address the issue of the warranty....

I had an intake and a modded exhaust on my MC, classic never said a thing about it, even when my tranny came in with the final drive in about 10 pieces, they still covered it under warranty.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stump
Rednwhitecooper I see bmw is strict on warranty also as Vw. I put an cold air intake and maf went out and blamed it on the intake. Later they put a letter saying they did have a problem with it.
haha, a VW that had the MAF sensor go. Isnt that a feature these days?

trust me, if you get an intake and an exhaust, your dealer wont say anything of it. and you will be much more satisfied.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
mini552
4th Gear
I won't go to the trouble of writing the whole thing over again - if you want to believe that your vendor exhaust/intake actually makes your car meaningfully "faster" that's OK - spend your bucks on what you like. It just gets tiresome every time someone asks about this package, 5 bench racers spring from the ether to trash it.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini552
I won't go to the trouble of writing the whole thing over again - if you want to believe that your vendor exhaust/intake actually makes your car meaningfully "faster" that's OK - spend your bucks on what you like. It just gets tiresome every time someone asks about this package, 5 bench racers spring from the ether to trash it.
Bench racers? you better get your facts straight bud...

Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Ok - web racers

Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets be friendly guys

MINI2 people seem to like the sound kit and there is a recent review there (for whatever thats worth). Then again, they like 18" wheels too

As to catback HP gains, I will believe what Randy has to say and he says they gain HP. Why would he design his own if it weren't to gain HP? In fact, I've done "free flow" exhausts in many sports car and they ALL gained power. Its a basic change.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us

MINI2 people seem to like the sound kit and there is a recent review there (for whatever thats worth). Then again, they like 18" wheels too
so, that means the review is for european viewing, it has no meaning in the states!