Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Engine Damper Impressions (MC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I never felt the rattle or heard any additional vibration until I did a couple days at the track about a week ago. Now I hear a rattle at idle which goes away immediately as soon as a bit of throtle is applied.

I'll be doing the #12 O-ring trick shortly.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok....Ill email them with pix of my bent bracket and bolt.....But where can i get these o-rings from....My parts dept has a kit but is missing that size and we cant order them seperately for some reason.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Home Depot has 'em in the plumbing department near the bits and pieces to repair faucets. I got ten #11 o-rings today for $2... My local store was out of the #12... I hope that the 11s work.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
What exactly is meant here by "o-ring"? I usually think of the term to mean a rubber ring used for a gasket, which doesn't seem the right kind of hardware for mounting an engine damper. Is it supposed to be a #12 flat metal washer?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
What exactly is meant here by "o-ring"? I usually think of the term to mean a rubber ring used for a gasket, which doesn't seem the right kind of hardware for mounting an engine damper. Is it supposed to be a #12 flat metal washer?
There using the rubber o-ring to stop the damper from rocking side to side at the heim joint where it is vibrating.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
edit: Found it discussed in this Metroplex thread.

Last edited by rkw; 09-18-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add Metroplex link
Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM
minibull2
2nd Gear
From experience ... I changed my motor mounts on my AudiTT. Lots of vibration through the stering wheel only while idoling.

The only thing that stopped the vibration was going back to the stock flywheel. It seems that the aftermarket flywheel wasnt dampered like the stock and was causing undue vibration that were only felt when I changed the flywheel.

MiniBull

Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 AM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just posted on the Metroplex forum early this morning. I went down to a Fred Meyer and found a little pack of rubber gasket o-rings in their hardward/plumbing department and they did the trick. About $2 is all that I'm out and it was as simple as that!!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Ords
6th Gear
I installed mine yesterday and using the painter's tape trick from OctaneGuy. Took about 15 minutes.

There is a difference to the feel as others described. "Connected" is correct after some spirited driving and I noticed there's no vibration.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I have an '03 MC and would like to install one of these, can anyone post a pic or two of the install with the o-ring? I'm not to clear on how the o-rings install.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RonP
I have an '03 MC and would like to install one of these, can anyone post a pic or two of the install with the o-ring? I'm not to clear on how the o-rings install.
The o-ring mentioned here is specifically for the Texas Speedwerks version of the damper. I suppose that if other dampers rattle, a similar technique may help. The TSW damper is now shipped with o-rings and installation instructions. A photo of the installed o-rings may be seen here.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 AM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Originally Posted by scobib
From the SCCA rule book:

"Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit."

My thought is no, since the engine damper does provide a benefit and is in addition to standard parts... Although arguably NOT in time shaved off from run-to-run (which I tested), the throttle response does improve rather smartly and there's less lag...

There was some debate at our club if this was a legal stock mod (although we run CAC rules/Canadian). It came down to NO for the same reasons as above but that did lead to mch debate as to if it really benefited you on the autox course. 50% say yes/ 50% say no....

Can anyone who has one tell me if it is a worthwhile mod (if you are already in DSP)?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Ok....Ill email them with pix of my bent bracket and bolt.....But where can i get these o-rings from....My parts dept has a kit but is missing that size and we cant order them seperately for some reason.
What was their responce to the bent bracket? It looks like a good piece and I am interested but would like to know the outcome of your situation.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Drove to Shoe to have the damper installed as I'm not great with the wrenches yet and it was more than worth it.

Any lurch is gone and it feels like I have more pickup in 1st and the transition to second is way way better.

This has to be, hands down, the best mod available for the MC and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Just got one installed. On top of all the above reponses, the best part of this mod is that the choppiness/lurging involved in parking lot speeds and traffic jams are gone. The car is much much smoother on/off the throttle at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gear.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by trackster
What was their responce to the bent bracket? It looks like a good piece and I am interested but would like to know the outcome of your situation.
If people contact us with issues, we solve the problem...

Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM
shooler
5th Gear
I just finished installing my TSW damper. Although I haven't driven with it yet, I will say the components are top notch in appearance and the illustrated instructions were very easy to follow. I can't wait to try it out.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
I finally installed mine.....took me 6 months to get around to it, but it's finally in there! So far, I'm happy with the changes; they're all improvements in my book. That includes the slight increases in noise and vibration. I count them as aspects of that "connected" feel described by others.

I notice slight additional vibration at idle, and increased sound as well as vibration when accellerating. Not significant, certainly not objectionable, to me.....of course "significant" and "objectionable" are very subjective terms.

A lot of people have tried to describe the effect of these things and it's VERY hard to improve on "connected".....but here's another way to look at it. It doesn't make the car a harsh environment, but it does take it another notch further down the road away from "comfy." I love it, it's like the additional feedback you get from adding a good catback or intake.

IMHO, if you have to worry whether every mod will pass the "significant other" test, you might want to think twice about this one...maybe.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
txwerks
Banned
A big thanks to you for suggestions on instructions...

For all late model peeps out there and GP owners, we've just sent updated drawings to our fabricator with a few tweaks that will make installs even easier...

Old 02-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
I've recently had to pull the LordoftheFlies damper out while my engine mount was getting replaced and I had to spend a week without it due to the crazy northeast cold.
Got it back in yesterday and immediately remembered why I love the damper so much.

People please do yourselves a favour and buy an engine damper from LordoftheFlies. MC drivers will never regret it.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Mine came recently and my impression is that it had better warm up soon so I can install the darn thing! Seriously, all of these positive impressions are making me impatient to try it out.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
scottbabu
1st Gear
Install a damper if you have cvt?

Do dampers only work well with stick shifts? Do you get similar results with a cvt/auto?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by scottbabu
Do dampers only work well with stick shifts? Do you get similar results with a cvt/auto?
You will get similar results on a cvt and auto!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
(this is a duplicate of a post over in the MCS thread, copied here because it relates to an MC install)

Well, it finally warmed up enough here to install the LOTF engine damper. I would have to say that my initial impression is "mildly positive". The "connected" feel that others describe escapes me. However, there is a noticable difference in the lurching between shifts, an improvement that is worth the reasonable price of this mod. I only have a few miles on it, so I'll keep gathering some observations.

I have a couple of things to say about the installation. It is a biotch! To say that things are tight is an understatement. I have a couple of tips that may help others.

*On my MC the bolt in the engine block (holding a clip and wire) was a 16mm, so have an open ended 16mm handy.
*Definitely use the blue masking tape trick to hold the long bolt/bell washer in place.
*I needed to insert/remove the damper into the small space several times to get the length right. It helps if you slide the damper back toward the firewall, then forward when doing this.
*Put the car on jackstands or ramps...your back will thank you!
*On my 03 MC there was a grounding strap and relay in the way of the space where you want to put your hands during the install. I recommend removing these for the installation.
*Shoe is right about taking your time. Forget the 15 min install times you may have seen...for most of us it will take at least that long just to adjust the damper. 30 - 60 minutes is a more realistic start-to-finish time frame.

Now, back for more road testing!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I got my TSW damper a coupla days ago. Can't wait to get it in and check it out. tswerks, has the bracket-bending issue been resolved on the latest damper kits (I just got mine)?

Zip

Quick Reply: Engine Damper Impressions (MC)