Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Engine Damper Impressions (MC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:45 AM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanna add a counter point. It was a 20 minute install for me, including finding one of my tools.

I don't report feeling more connected, but have been very pleased with the improvement to shifting. Prior to install, I knew I was going to install a short shifter. Now it is good enough to live with and the short shifter may not be required.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
115hp
5th Gear
I got the TSW damper for my '02 Coop and it took me over an hour to install, but maybe because I'm OCD. Most of that time went to the bracket installation. The damper itself didn't need much adjusting.

Although I may have been slightly disappointed initially with this mod, it was only because of my overblown expectations. Now that it's been on for over a month and I've had a lot of seat time, I'm very happy with it. It made the car tighter.

Have most people noticed that the interior NVH is on the right side of their car? Is it just a coincidence that the damper is also on the right side of the engine? I often hear some buzzing back near the C-pillar. And sometimes I hear it near the passenger footwell. At some point I'll probably remove the damper just to see what it's like without the damper again. But it'll definitely go back on.

The quality of the TSW damper and brackets are excellent. Their customer service and extra fast delivery were top notch.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
macsbluemcs
1st Gear
I also took the opportunity late last week when the weather broke here in the midwest to install my TSW damper and found the installation to be no problem and the end result pretty darn nice .

It seems to tighten the contact point between throttle and response and is probably one of the most positive bang for buck mods so far ..

Now I should note that my test drive was the first 'behind the wheel' time in about 2 months in the MCS, based on the weather ...just to balance out my remarks

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Would someone be so kind as to point me in the direction of this LOTF guy so I can order one of these up for my MC. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Did a search and found Lordoftheflies and sent him a PM. After reading through this thread I can't wait to get one of these.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Just installed it and took it for a 20 mile test drive and all I can say is...WOW! Such an improvement in throttle response, engine lurching, smoothness of exceleration and deceleration. Such an excellent mod for an even better price, thanks Shoe!

Installation took about 30 minutes. That included walking to and fro from my computer to the driveway many times to follow the instructions, a dry install, taking it off and reinstalling it, and with big tools and hands, no tape or magnets, it really is a simple and easy install.

My only concern is what part of the car is now taking the brunt of the forces that the damper is now passing along.

The only downside, the car vibrates more at idle and is a bit louder but that's only at idle. A very minor thing compared to the improvements.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:34 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Well, I took if off yesterday and I am enjoying the ride more without it.

My cab vibrated too much with it and while the improvements are nice, I like the quite / nearly vibration free ride. The noise level in the cab was higher as well and I noticed I had more squeeks...and, call me paranoid but those forces from the engine are going where they were not intended and while that may or may not cause problems in the future it's not something I want to deal with.

So, I'll most likely put it up for sale as I really don't have a need for it but I'll give it a few more days first.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an unnecessary mod that often results in inital praise, followed by, "I think it was better before".

For 99% of MINI owners I'd say save your money.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
RonP
4th Gear
It's far from unnecessary as the preformace results are quite noticeable but I just did not care for the vibration and noise transfer that this caused. If it wasn't for that I'd have it on. It's a great mod at an even better price if you can live with the additional noise and vibrations in the cab.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. Of course this is MY thread , and as the title states, on the MC, especially earlier model--2003--it made a HUGE difference.

When I put it in my 2005 MCS though, I couldn't feel much improvement--atleast not as noticeable as when it was on my MC.

It's an excellent low cost mod if you have a problem to fix!

Richard

Originally Posted by resmini
Sounds like an unnecessary mod that often results in inital praise, followed by, "I think it was better before".

For 99% of MINI owners I'd say save your money.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
hiyoslvr
1st Gear
I installed the TSW damper in my '03 MC last weekend. The installation was straightforward and smooth and took 1 hour. Like most everyone else, I immediately noticed the increased NVH while idling. That disappeared at anything above 1000rpm. Shifting and just driving in general felt stronger and more solid. It took a couple of days to get used to not feeling torque in the "pants seat." Even if the only benefit is increased clutch/tranny life, it is well worth having. All this is IMHO, of course.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
blackman
2nd Gear
didnt notice anything on my car, got it cuz everyone was bragging it up, the worst $100 i spent on my mini yet. jus my 2 cents

Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hiyoslvr
Even if the only benefit is increased clutch/tranny life, it is well worth having. All this is IMHO, of course.
How will it increase clutch/tranny life?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackman
didnt notice anything on my car, got it cuz everyone was bragging it up, the worst $100 i spent on my mini yet. jus my 2 cents
Perhaps you don't have enough "faith".

Old 05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Even if the only benefit is increased clutch/tranny life, it is well worth having
I fail to see how it will increase the life of your clutch or tranny, if anything, not allowing the engine to flex as it was designed would cause early faliure of parts.

on the MC, especially earlier model--2003--it made a HUGE difference.
I can agree, while I wouldn't say the difference is "huge", it is noticeable. I don't do much freeway driving at all, most all street which means a lot of sitting at lights and such and the additional vibrations that this caused in the cab wore on me too much. I much prefer the quiet relaxing ride over the preformance end of the damper.

I decided not to sell it and keep it as I may install it when I go on MINI rides, meets and the like. But for my every day street driving, it's staying in a box.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
hiyoslvr
1st Gear
I guess I should qualify my "clutch/tranny life" remark. Sorry about that. My remark is a prediction, not a fact for which I have proof. My main reason for this prediction is based on the physics involved:

1.) The drive train is a system, and is composed of a given number of components.
2.) Strengthening/stabilizing any component of a system, especially component #1, will add to the strength/stability of the whole system.
3.) The component in position #1 of the drive train system is the engine.
4.) The strengthening/stabilizing of component #1 (engine) will inherently strengthen/stabilize the rest of the system.

In the process of limiting engine movement (stabilization), the damper absorbs the majority of the force and redirects the remainder to the frame and body in the form of vibration. In the final analysis, an individual's driving habits will have more effect on a car than any mechanical modifications.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:52 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hiyoslvr
I installed the TSW damper in my '03 MC last weekend. The installation was straightforward and smooth and took 1 hour. Like most everyone else, I immediately noticed the increased NVH while idling. That disappeared at anything above 1000rpm. Shifting and just driving in general felt stronger and more solid. It took a couple of days to get used to not feeling torque in the "pants seat." Even if the only benefit is increased clutch/tranny life, it is well worth having. All this is IMHO, of course.
As I've probably stated earlier, I have the TSW also, and like what it did for the shifting of the car.

But for the controversy of vibration, I don't notice any (more) at all, probably because of my exhaust system, which adds its own dynamic to the system, which means sound and vibration, which took me a while to get used to, but now I love it.

Some of us value smoothness and quietness, and some of us want more of the 'sports-car' experience. Whatever floats your boat is a good thing.

Zip

Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 AM
hiyoslvr
1st Gear
After about three weeks of driving w/the TSW damper, I have the same opinion. My '03 MC shifts and drives better in general, and the noise/vibration is not even an issue anymore.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tit
I'm very happy with mine, and echo the positive comments here.

I also agree that it could be a concern that forces are now being passed through the car in places that are not designed for them. Even more startling, and OctaneGuy makes a good point: does it have any effect on the crash dynamics of the car? If it does, then I'm not so comfortable having it on there.
If you haven't already, would you mind posting on the "how you got your name" thread?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
It sounds to me like there is a trade off between losing the hard acceleration lurch vs. buzzing and vibrating all the time. But, of more concern is that it seems no real engineering analyses have gone into these things. As built, the engine is intended to flex and move to control forces in a predictable, tuned manner. The damper is intended to overcome that engineering by adding another brace which redirects the force of engine movement to another location, higher up on the vehicle, not designed nor intended to handle that force. If there is any reliable engineering information regarding the actual stress/vibration impact of dampers, I'd sure like to see it.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I have a "ghetto" version of this mod consisting of four .5 inch wooden dowels hammered into the star shaped rubber engine stabilizer by the strut tower. It made a huge difference. I get the same vibration on the passenger side under 1k rpm that people are talking about.

I haven't heard anyone saying that there is increased vibration all of the time, only at idle under 1k rpm. Mainly if the AC is on and the fan kicks on causing the rpm to drop a little.

I can accel up to the red line in 1st gear and quickly take my foot off of the gas and there is no lurch and no whiplash. It is a huge improvement.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
But, of more concern is that it seems no real engineering analyses have gone into these things. As built, the engine is intended to flex and move to control forces in a predictable, tuned manner. The damper is intended to overcome that engineering by adding another brace which redirects the force of engine movement to another location, higher up on the vehicle, not designed nor intended to handle that force. If there is any reliable engineering information regarding the actual stress/vibration impact of dampers, I'd sure like to see it.
Lynnel,

The energy is absorbed and dissipated thru the TSW damper, and then some of it is 'redirected' back thru the engine mounts that the TSW damper, and the stock engine damper are mounted to, taking some of the stress off the standard crappy, failure-prone, oil filled unit on later R50 and R53 Coopers and S's.

And before you ask, no, I do not have any engineering studies to prove anything. But I will tell you that in the interest and tradition of hot-rodding, this is a no-brainer modification that will cause no damage to engine or car in their life-times. With something this simple, just slap it on and enjoy the benefits. The MINI is a car, boys and girls, and will not turn into a pile of horse manure because someone bolted in an aftermarket engine damper to assist the standard unit.

Oh, and btw, for those of you who write 'dampener,' it's 'damper.' Nothing is getting wet here.

Zip

Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a question. What is the difference between an early model like mine (9/02 as a 2003 model) compared to a later 2005 model? What changed that allows the dampner to have a greater effect on early cars compared to late?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Oh, and btw, for those of you who write 'dampener,' it's 'damper.' Nothing is getting wet here.
cept for me drooling on the keyboard waiting to get mine

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKCoopeR
cept for me drooling on the keyboard waiting to get mine
Touche'!

Zip

Quick Reply: Engine Damper Impressions (MC)