R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 MCS Key remote programming....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
RenoMiniCooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MCS Key remote programming....

I have 3 keys for my brand spankin new PW/B MCS. I just have on tiny little problem. All the keys work with the door and ignition, but one of the keys didn't work remote-wise.

So I was told this is the solution for programming the key with the car. I did the below and the key that wasn't work does work, but now the other two keys don't. So I did the procedure on the other keys and which ever key I program last then that is the only one that works the remote features but they all still work the door and ignition.

The procedure is:
Program a key that has lost its programming.
1. Insert the key that is not working into the ignition with the doors closed.

2. Turn the ignition on to position 1 then back off.
3. Press and hold the unlock button.
4. While holding the unlock button press and release the lock button three times. on the third release, release both buttons.
5. The doors should lock and unlock. do the same for the other key as they both have to be done at the same time.

I did this and it worked only the last key done work. Any thoughts? Is there a final step missing or a step between the keys?

Thanks. Steve.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
wow your lucky. i only got two keys plus a valet key with my car. I think you can only have 2 keys programmed per car.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
RenoMiniCooper
1st Gear
I got it figured out. I have all three keys working with the remotes, in the doors, and ignition.

I did have to buy the 3rd key.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoMiniCooper
I got it figured out. I have all three keys working with the remotes, in the doors, and ignition.

Sounds like you got it fixed? How, if I may ask? The key I carry decided it didn't want to work one day and the dealer talked me thru the steps to reprogram (if I remember right, it was how you described), but now the key my wife carries doesn't work...

Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 AM
chuckyTLC
2nd Gear
Is there a place where I can find all these "mini hacks"?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:24 AM
goaljnky
Banned

So, are you going to share how you figured this out?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
RenoMiniCooper
1st Gear
Here's how I got it working......

The instructions I had only had one piece of the puzzle wrong. Here is the right way.

You need to have all the keys with you when you get in the car.
1. Get in the car and shut the doors. (don't open any of the doors until you are complete.
2. Put a key in the ignition and turn it to the first click, then back and take the key out. You need to do within five second I was told and that is what I did.
3. HOLD DOWN the unlock button, and press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button. The doors of the car should lock or unlock. Don't touch the doors or door locks.
4. The wrong directions I had said to repeat all the steps from the beginning. The wrong part is that once you put another key in the ignition it ends/restarts the programming sequence.
5. So once the doors have locked/unlocked then just do step 3 with the other keys. Just hold down the unload button, press the lock 3 times and release the unlock button.
6. Once you do this will all the keys then you can open the door or put a key in the ignition and the programming is ended.
7. Then try the lock and unlock on all the keys. If they don't work you can try it again to make sure you didn't screw it up but if after that then it sounds like a trip to the dealer.

Hope this helps. Steve.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Thank you, Steve

It worked. Now I'm a happy camper.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:46 PM
RenoMiniCooper
1st Gear
Glad it worked! My bill is already in the mail. I left out a step until you pay the bill. The step will cause your MINI to spontainiously combust in 38.265 Hours if you don't do the final step.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Glad it worked! My bill is already in the mail. I left out a step until you pay the bill. The step will cause your MINI to spontainiously combust in 38.265 Hours if you don't do the final step.
You betchum. Check's in the mail.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The above instructions should be save in an FAQ!!!!!

:impatient

Old 01-27-2006, 07:54 AM
RenoMiniCooper
1st Gear
I would need direction on how to do that. So if you could do that then good or tell me how. I probably could figure it out but it's Friday I don't think I can think today.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:40 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
I have no idea. Only a couple of the performance forums have How_To sections. Most of the others have "sticky" posts for common tasks/problems.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM
MMS1
1st Gear
Let me add my thanks! I bought a used Mini and it only had one key, so I bought a full replacement key ($120) and a replacement key that doesn't have the remote feature ($35 - looks like a regular Mini key fob, but the buttons don't "push," it's not the little plastic key). Unfortunately neither the SA or the parts counterperson mentioned that the full replacement key needed to be programmed to lock/unlock the car. I didn't really want to schedule an entire visit to just get the key programmed, so I followed these intructions and now I have two full sets of keys! Yay!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:38 PM
steveesee
Neutral
Just tried this out and it worked perfectly! Thanks!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Barrettrw11
4th Gear
All the times I have tried it I was holding the lock button down. I even went to the dealer and thats what they told me to do... Did it this way and it worked the first time! Thanks!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
kublai68
1st Gear
The instructions I had only had one piece of the puzzle wrong. Here is the right way.

You need to have all the keys with you when you get in the car.
1. Get in the car and shut the doors. (don't open any of the doors until you are complete.
2. Put a key in the ignition and turn it to the first click, then back and take the key out. You need to do within five second I was told and that is what I did.
3. HOLD DOWN the unlock button, and press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button. The doors of the car should lock or unlock. Don't touch the doors or door locks.
4. The wrong directions I had said to repeat all the steps from the beginning. The wrong part is that once you put another key in the ignition it ends/restarts the programming sequence.
5. So once the doors have locked/unlocked then just do step 3 with the other keys. Just hold down the unload button, press the lock 3 times and release the unlock button.
6. Once you do this will all the keys then you can open the door or put a key in the ignition and the programming is ended.
7. Then try the lock and unlock on all the keys. If they don't work you can try it again to make sure you didn't screw it up but if after that then it sounds like a trip to the dealer.

Hope this helps. Steve.

Steve, I have a 2004 cooper S and I tried this method several times and it did not work. Maybe it does not work on my model. What model od "s" do you have? My key has two buttons not the three button type.

Neil

Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Title of thread says '06.