R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 It just calls to you

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 AM
AzDavis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just calls to you

Well...

It s true, she just calls to you. After two years of watching and learning on NAM, reading the stories (the retirement of Churchill for Deacon by tigwantstoplay keep me entertained for weeks on end wow that was 2007) I finally pulled the trigger. But lets not get ahead of myself, as the event itself sneaked up on me.

It started as a joke to my wife, but that joke turned into an early morning trip to the Mini Dealership. This is the weird part.. It called to me...

There she was, her nose peeking out (second to the last) from the rest of the minis in the row, almost smiling at me, just waiting for me to look past the rest and cast my eyes onto her.

Now, here is the weird part... I have configured and reconfigured for 2 years between either a dark silver or white... but, striking my fancy was a Laser Blue beauty, whats even more strange is that she seemed to have been built for me with one of my many configurations. Snapped a picture on my cell phone, sent it to my wife, and she laughs... I think my wife knew she would be mine by the end of the day.

Couldn't stand it any longer... Left work early, drove on down and started the ball rolling. Informed my MA that I wanted a White or Dark Silver configured the same way (yet hoping in the back of my head there wasn't one configured as I already found the one I desired). Well, when we couldn't find another configuration suitable, I tried to express my dissatisfaction, all the while hiding my smile.

This is where the question came... Want to test drive? Well, I couldnt jump quick enough. We took a tester out for a drive. It was a rather mild drive, I did tear into it a bit, but I could see the potential instantly and I was hooked... Then came the question that sealed the deal. "Want to take it around our test track" I had to have him repeat, but yes, Mini of North Scottsdale in AZ has a test track. My MA took it around once... ummm WOW.. Ive squealed tires before around a corner, but never like this, it simply hugged the aspalt with squeals of joy from the tires. Once more by me with sport off and then sport on... it was a done deal in my head!

"Ok, keep your cool Craig", I say to myself... "If he sees your excitement im toast and broke fo the next 5 years". This is where the stars aligned. I shot for the moon on my trade and basically when coming back in my MA got me a deal between my trade and the $ of the car that was over a $1000 off MSRP (split between a great price on my trade, and the tint and floormats taken off the price but not going to say exactly how much). As soon as this happened, the next text to my wife was... drive on up (45min drive) to sign some papers..

She now sits in my drive way... No name yet as the Laser Blue was not what I imagined waking up that morning, so, she will soon get one, but for now, she is simply called the "mini" by the kids.

Laser Blue:

Black Checkered Cloth
Premium Package
HeadLiner
17" Web Spokes
StepTronic
Piano Black and Pacific Blue
Armrest
FogLights
Xenon Headlights
Mini HiFi
White Turn Signals

A welcome addition to the family.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Congrats and great story.

I'm sure you know you HAVE to post pics ASAP, right???

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
AzDavis
1st Gear
Pics..

Ok, pic didn't attach correctly, here it is (hey first posts!!!)

Attached Thumbnails It just calls to you-smmini.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Now that's a story worthy of this forum. I too was the victom of Mini North Snottsdale's inventory a scant 2 years ago. But nobody let me drive on the freaking track . I knew it was there but nooooo... they said it was a "liability issue" (the wimps). Seriously though congratulations on a fine purchase. Maybe you can join the active club in the Valley. I'm in Prescott btw.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Congratulations!
What a great story.
You're gonna love it!!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Ooooooh!! I'm so excited to get my Mini!! Great story!!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Outstanding story. So this was a delayed gratification, right? I mean you've been pondering a mini for some time...and the time is now.
Thanks for your investment in these tough economic times. I'll wager you will be smiling a lot over the next few weeks, months....

Old 03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This story makes me cry.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
AzDavis
1st Gear
TheBigNewt: I will be looking into the Valley Clubs soon.

freez3: Thanks... already loving it!

bigsoup52: Yes, very much delayed, been planning for 2 years to get one, just never pulled the trigger till now, and Im GLAD, I did

Pinky Demon: Well, I must say... I get a little misty climbing in every day... Well, that could also be from the sun roof and windows open with the wind blowing on thru... Oh, I love AZ this time of year!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I know exactly what you mean. I knew Viola was the one when I drove her. She was their test car and something about it felt right. My MA was prepared for me to sit down with him and build a custom car after he'd talked to my hubby on the phone a couple times. I had originally wanted a oxy blue because I was tired of driving a silver car, but when I drove her... I knew.

Great story and welcome to your new MINI. Would love to see pics of the interior! I also have the PB interior surface and love it except that it does pick up dust, but I just hit it with a swiffer duster when I notice it.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
I gotta chime in on this one, it is a good story and I wish to pass on a hearty congratulations!

Enjoy your MINI and Motor On!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hate to tell ya...this car will ALWAYS call to you. Mine is calling to me from the parking lot right now.....

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Hate to tell ya...this car will ALWAYS call to you. Mine is calling to me from the parking lot right now.....
That ain't no lie!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Gotta +1 on that. It pains me to look out the window and see Ferris sitting there just waiting for me to come out and play.

Great story, it sure is easy to fall for these awesome little cars!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Paleo
3rd Gear
I think her name should be "Destiny"! Great story. Happy Motoring!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Paleo
I think her name should be "Destiny"! Great story. Happy Motoring!
Orrrr....Siren? Or Circe? Or...what's the name of the one in Germany - Lorelei? (Siren's call....)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
AzDavis
1st Gear
RandomGemini: Thanks.. I need to get more pictures taken, been too busy driving to take photos... Planning on getting a stay in car camera and some cleaning supplies to keep looking good.

x uh oh x and geekswrath: Would have to say, she has been calling me to, but luckly I keep getting to show people and take a few short demo rides with her today.

Paleo: Thanks for the name suggestion... I know it will come to me soon.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
gohandbz8
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the purchase and I enjoyed the story leading to the buy.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Kyran
2nd Gear
Awesome story. Congratulations. I wish I had gotten to go on a track before purchasing. I dont need to tell you to enjoy because you already are.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Thanks Craig. Very inspirational writing. Now I now who was calling me every day...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
You're making me want to buy a second MINI. That color combo is awesome.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AzDavis

Pinky Demon: Well, I must say... I get a little misty climbing in every day... Well, that could also be from the sun roof and windows open with the wind blowing on thru... Oh, I love AZ this time of year!
No. It's not so much that. It's just...I've been looking at cars for nearly 4 years now, and I set on the Mini last year. I had all my ducks in a row, everything was getting set for a summer order, and then I got hit last week with news that I might lose my job. I will have to use my savings to pay off a loan for a car that I bought for work because my company cannot. It's a trade off, and I can use the vehicle, but it totally killed the Mini dream. Not only that, but a fellow member on here was selling his for a great price, and he was less than 20 miles from me, and his Mini was almost exactly what I wanted.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
No. It's not so much that. It's just...I've been looking at cars for nearly 4 years now, and I set on the Mini last year. I had all my ducks in a row, everything was getting set for a summer order, and then I got hit last week with news that I might lose my job. I will have to use my savings to pay off a loan for a car that I bought for work because my company cannot. It's a trade off, and I can use the vehicle, but it totally killed the Mini dream. Not only that, but a fellow member on here was selling his for a great price, and he was less than 20 miles from me, and his Mini was almost exactly what I wanted.
Keep the faith, PD, keep the faith...It may just be a slight setback. Don't give up!!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Keep the faith, PD, keep the faith...It may just be a slight setback. Don't give up!!
Nah. I'm not giving up, I'm just getting annoyed and depressed. All in all, it's just more waiting time. Now, when I actually order the Mini, the production wait is going to be absolute torture.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Nah. I'm not giving up, I'm just getting annoyed and depressed. All in all, it's just more waiting time. Now, when I actually order the Mini, the production wait is going to be absolute torture.
OOOORRRRR....it'll fly right by, considering how long you've already waited.

Quick Reply: R56 It just calls to you