R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Lexus leads, Hyundai improves, Infiniti drops in J.D. Power 2009 Initial Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus leads, Hyundai improves, Infiniti drops in J.D. Power 2009 Initial Quality

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/l...s-in-j-d-powe/

Yep - MINI's dead last.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not surprised about Hyundai-- prob the most improved brand over the last decade. Drove a V8 Genesis rental a few months ago and it was superb.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's because we're more conscious owners. We bring our cars in because of rattles

Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
takes about a year for dealership to straighten out our problems

Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
You gotta read the rules before you consider the results. As I recall stuff that gets your car docked includes having a hard time figuring out how to adjust the seats and mirrors, brake dust, did the sales rep show you all the goodies on delivery, goofy stuff like that. It has almost nothing to do with how hot the car is to drive and how well it holds up over time.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Mato
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dang, must have hit the time where my local dealer had about 20 minies with a bended airscoop

Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprise surprise: Volkswagen GTI is the 2nd highest quality (least problems) in sport compact .

Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
tomegun
1st Gear
Does anyone have a link to the rules for this? I'm planning on getting a MCS, but a car that isn't reliable is the worst thing in the world to me. I've had a few problems with my BMW, but it is still cool. I got a 96 Dodge Avenger, the first year they came out, and it was a nightmare. Fortunately, I got it with my brother's employee pricing and I was able to get rid of it four months later without it costing me too much.

Is this something for concern? I'm sitting here with egg on my face because I've been telling my wife for years that I don't want her to get a Range Rover Sport because of their reliability and then this.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tomegun
Does anyone have a link to the rules for this? I'm planning on getting a MCS, but a car that isn't reliable is the worst thing in the world to me. I've had a few problems with my BMW, but it is still cool. I got a 96 Dodge Avenger, the first year they came out, and it was a nightmare. Fortunately, I got it with my brother's employee pricing and I was able to get rid of it four months later without it costing me too much.

Is this something for concern? I'm sitting here with egg on my face because I've been telling my wife for years that I don't want her to get a Range Rover Sport because of their reliability and then this.
you don't want to read too much into these stats. Complaints can be something as simple as "it's smaller than I thought" to "it doesn't get 40mpg like I thought"

Initial quality perception should be the title.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at it as another BMW. All European cars have quirks, but I haven't noticed any serious issues aside from the cold start rattle, which has now been fixed.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Initial Quality has almost NOTHING to do with long-term reliability of significant components.

I got the JD Powers survey... a few weeks after I took delivery. What could I possibly know within a few weeks that would have any significant bearing on long-term reliability?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 AM
glangford
6th Gear
In contrast to JD, CR says the MCS is average and it is a recommended. The MC rates above average in reliablity (07-09).

Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
j730d
Neutral
I was interested in seeing how folks here would react to this review.

I clipped this quote from the JD Powers website here - http://tiny.pl/32nj

"Initial Quality: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction, or where controls or features may work as designed, but are difficult to use or understand."

What I get from that is complex non-intuitive controls rank as bad as a breakdown in the initial quality phase of this review.

I have to say the MINI is the least intuitive vehicle I've ever driven. The problem of having to have an owner's manual with you and video's to explain the windshield wipers etc. would lead to a last place ranking I would think.

I'm a guy that for 20 years has designed user interfaces for software, trained a lot of folks on how to use computers and so on, but the interface for the MINI is from outer space as far as I'm concerned.

Cute gadgets don't get it. It's a fun car to drive, and appears to be well made - but the designers of the controls need to go back to school as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by j730d; 06-23-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
tomegun
1st Gear
Thanks. Things are starting to make more sense now. I knew this wasn't the reliability results, but it is still something to ask about. Does anyone have a link to CR's recommendation?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Thanks. Things are starting to make more sense now. I knew this wasn't the reliability results, but it is still something to ask about. Does anyone have a link to CR's recommendation?
Go to a newstand and pick up a CR 09 car buyers guide. It lists both new and used cars. Only lists the S as new but gives reliability ratings for both the MC and MCS for all years. 07-09 MCS average, 07-09 MC above average. I didn't pay attention to pre 07.

There is no link, you'd have to be a CR member to get behind their wall and see rankings.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consumer Report has excellent reliability rating for R55/R56 Mini. Keeps in mind CR only sends out survey after you drive your car for sometime, which is more useful than "initial quality rating" or "open box quality impression" in my book.

Attached Thumbnails Lexus leads, Hyundai improves, Infiniti drops in J.D. Power 2009 Initial Quality-cr_mini.jpg  

Last edited by nickminir56; 06-23-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Image Attachment
Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This should make you peeps feel better: Did anyone see that for 2008 the ONLY 2 cars that got a 5 out of 5 in the "Performance" catagory were.........Porsche and Mini

Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
If you asked me my opinion on the car the first day it rained and I needed to figure out the wipers, I'd have rated it badly. It probably helps that I read all about the rattles and came from a rattletrap Ford convertible.
9 months later I still love this car. But it is not intuitive. It takes getting used to.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
z06invb
1st Gear
I just bought mine on Saturday. Spent half the day going over the owners manual and trying to orient myself to everything. And still on Monday I hit the wiper stalk and started getting intermittent wipers and I could not turn them off at first! I am still trying to totally figure them out after getting caught in a storm last night. Other than that I have a high pitched whistle that increases with rpm. It could be normal for the car but I dont know so I will be taking it the the dealer to check it.

So far this is a cool little car but I agree it takes some getting used to with the controls, driver settings etc. I think someone that buys a MINI is an enthusiast and is more in tune with their car than someone that buys a Honda Civic to get from point A to point B. They are happy the car starts and drives. I want Porsche quality out of my MINI.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
All in all I'm happy with my Mini after the first year, that's all that counts...

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
I'll be one lucky guy for having bought an R55 post facelift.

More of a concern for me are these "life time fill" fluids used for the tranny and other parts of the car...because no fluid lasts a "lifetime".

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I love my Mini but I really believe the JD rankings, I've never seen a new car have so many problems right out of the gate. I saw it in my previous 07 and I know my 08 will develop some sooner than later...

Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
On the other hand, outside of a warped scoop, my 08 MCS has been plugging along without a single major problem for 14 months and 20,000 miles.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Deutsch
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I saw it in my previous 07 and I know my 08 will develop some sooner than later...
"As a man thinkith so is he". Not a mindset you wanna start with in your newer MINI.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
J.D. Power has been a joke for while. I have had absolutley ZERO issues with mine (not disregarding those that have had some issues), and have had no problem with the things most people complain about with the R56.

Quick Reply: R56 Lexus leads, Hyundai improves, Infiniti drops in J.D. Power 2009 Initial Quality