R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 MC - White Turn signals question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MC - White Turn signals question

Back in 09 I ordered and purchased an MC with quite a few options. One of the options was the "White Turn Signals". That option is listed on the window sticker.

I didn't notice this when I picked up the car and when I did notice, I just didn't bother bringing it up to my MA. And forgot about asking when I was in for service.

About the "white turn signals" on my car.
1. The side marker cap is white but the bulb is the amber/orange.
2. The turn signal in the headlight assembly is amber/orange.

On the configurator both the side turn signal and the headlight assembly turn signal turn to clear from amber when "white turn signal" is seleted.
Did I pay for an option that I didn't get?

Finner

Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the white turn signals are for the rear only. Check out the Mini configurator.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Finner
About the "white turn signals" on my car.
1. The side marker cap is white but the bulb is the amber/orange.
2. The turn signal in the headlight assembly is amber/orange.

Finner
Is it truly a amber piece of plastic or does it just look that way because the bulb is amber.

If my memory serves me correctly they should have been white lenses as they are available.

I know if I ordered them in 08 they would have all been white.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini on
I believe the white turn signals are for the rear only. Check out the Mini configurator.
White turn signals on the configurator refer to the turn signals in the headlamp assembly. Go do a quick build on miniusa.com and on the first page under paint options you'll see the white turn signal option, select and you'll see the turn signals in the headlamps change color.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Shatz and BoC,
Thanks for you response. Yea I went to the configuator before even posting. And I had checked how it changes on the config even before ordering the car back in late 2008. Got it in Feb 09.

Though I ordered and my Window Sticker states "White Turn Signals", I guess there was a mistake that I didnt notice the day I picked it up the car, and then when I did notice I kept meaning to call or go by..but forgot about it after a while.

1. Side turn signal just behind and above front tires - Plastic cap is white but bulb is amber. So it blinks amber/orange
2. Headlight Assembly - I have xenon headlights. The turn signal light is orange, as it is on the configutor before selecting "white turn signals" when building a car.
3. Rear Turn Signal - I turn it on and it blinks orange.

So "White Turn Signals" was priced into the car and paid for, but I only have the "basic" setup. I guess when I have a chance I will show the MA. At this point I'm not that concerned about getting it changed. I know there was no intent to deceive..and I didn't even notice it at delivery.

I'll ask that they make it right by giving me credit towards service, unless they want to change the standard setup and install the "white turn signal" option all around.

Thanks, Finner

Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
In many states the light has to be amber to be legal. Although the lense can be clear, the bulb has to flash amber. Your choices are an amber bulb or the silver tinted Euro bulbs that flash amber.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Thanks MiniCoop.

Maybe here in Jersey, amber is required? If so, not much point to getting the "white turn signal" option I would think. That may be the reason.

Not a big concern. Very pleased with my Mini for the last 2 years.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
I have the white turn signal option as well, however...All bulbs are amber. My headlights are xenon with clear lenses and amber bulbs, my side blinkers are white with amber bulbs and my rear lenses are clear/white with amber bulbs. If you don't have the clear lenses, then the are definitely orange. My clear ones show an orange hue, but that is because of the bulb. All 50 states can use either setup MINI offers.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
MiniDean,

That's exactly what I have. So all is good.

Thanks, Finner

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Newbomb
1st Gear
I ordered the white lenses also. I thought I didn't get them because it still looked amber. It turns out the amber bulb makes it look like there is no white lens. I ordered the silverlight bulbs which should fix that problem. It looks like I have to remove the whole headlight assembly to get to that bulb though. Anyone know if thats correct?

Last edited by Newbomb; 04-01-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I just ordered the stealth bulbs for my '11 MCS. I did the same thing in my '06 when I got it. In the Gen1 MINIs, the turn signal was in the lower grill and I had no problem changing it out. In the Gen2, the turn signal is in the headlamp as you know, but one of the guys in the Atlanta MINIs club said he switched his out without removing anything, it was a bit of a bear to get his hand in, but it was doable. I got the bulbs in the mail yesterday so will hopefully get some time this weekend to see.
Annette

Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM
ClickClack
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Newbomb
It looks like I have to remove the whole headlight assembly to get to that bulb though. Anyone know if thats correct?
Nope, just turn your wheels all the way one way. look at your fender liner and you will see two large discs/caps. turn the upper cap counter clockwise to loosen and remove it. there will be another cap at the rear of the headlight (remove it too) and then you can access the turn signal. sounds harder than it is. takes all of 15 minutes to do both.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I just ordered the stealth bulbs for my '11 MCS. I did the same thing in my '06 when I got it. In the Gen1 MINIs, the turn signal was in the lower grill and I had no problem changing it out. In the Gen2, the turn signal is in the headlamp as you know, but one of the guys in the Atlanta MINIs club said he switched his out without removing anything, it was a bit of a bear to get his hand in, but it was doable. I got the bulbs in the mail yesterday so will hopefully get some time this weekend to see.
Annette

BoCRon - can you update us on your bulb change and how that went? Also, can you send a link to the website where you purchased the bulbs? I'd like to do the same mod.

Thanks ahead of time...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Did the stealth bulbs, took about a minute each side. On the '11 there is a little panel under the wheel well, just reach up and unscrew it, then you can reach in and pull out the assembly for the turn signal. The bulb comes right out, replace with the stealth bulb and you're done. Very simple.

Here's a pic of the light before-

And after installing the stealth bulbs,

Annette

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Thanks for the pics! Love it!

Where did you get the stealth bulbs - do you have a link to a website, or did you get them at a local auto parts store?

Thanks.

Last edited by tvanhouten; 06-08-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
What bulbs (product number) did you order for your 2011.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
I ended up buying my stealth bulbs from http://www.coopersport.com

The direct link to 2011 R56 bullbs is here:

http://coopersport.com/elements/prod...s/1.htm?veh=56

Still waiting for the delivery - UPS ground is so slow!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So, instead of paying $26 for a pair of bulbs, why not remove the stock amber bulb, clean with alcohol, and paint prep (PRE), and a light mist of silver auto paint. let dry and re-install. Done for about $ 5 for a small can of silver paint.

Bulbs look silver, blink amber. What do you think Stealth Bulbs are?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Certainly painting the OEM bulbs is an option, however since these Solaris bulbs from Cooper Sport were lifetime it was a better option for me. I was concerned that painting on my own bulbs would produce a bulb that looked silver-ish and not a true chrome look to better compliment the Xenon internal housing.

Maybe in the end there's no major difference... No matter now for me, these new bulbs are already in the mail.

I think mentioning the DIY bulb painting is good for those that still are on the fence trying to make the choice on what to do with amber bulbs.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 AM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvanhouten
I ended up buying my stealth bulbs from http://www.coopersport.com

The direct link to 2011 R56 bullbs is here:

http://coopersport.com/elements/prod...s/1.htm?veh=56

Still waiting for the delivery - UPS ground is so slow!
Anyone else having difficulties accessing the ordering page? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to "add to cart"?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 AM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Agree the website is not very intuitive. Once you choose what bulbs you want, click the link at the bottom tht says "choose bulb color", once you reach that next page, you will see "add to cart" button at the bottom.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 AM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tvanhouten
Agree the website is not very intuitive. Once you choose what bulbs you want, click the link at the bottom tht says "choose bulb color", once you reach that next page, you will see "add to cart" button at the bottom.

Thanks, man.....that helped.

I got the front and side turn signal bulbs.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
craigea
1st Gear
can you change the amber caps to white, or would you have to order a new light assembly? just bought a used Mini and love the white signals, but it doesn't have them...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Got my Solaris chrome bulbs in the mail today - pictues are below. Took me less than 10 minutes to change them for both sides. The new chrome bulbs blink amber as bright as the OEM ones.

BEFORE PICTURE

AFTER PICTURE

Quick Reply: R56 2009 MC - White Turn signals question