R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Please Check Your Tyre Inflation Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Check Your Tyre Inflation Pressures

Just a reminder to other dummies such as myself. The TPM electronics only warn you if you have a flat, they DO NOT tell you if pressure is low. I'll admit, I've been a bit lazy about checking me tyres. Just checked 31,31,31,32. Should be 38. Oops.......Wonder if that could be the cause of that funny little vibration at 60......?????????

Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
My TPMS sets off a warning when pressure is low..Has done it twice now, I checked the pressure, it was low and after filling up, and resetting TPMS it stays off. I have an '09 MCCs.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
Good advice... Especially with runflats, which still look nice and round even when the pressure's low.

Spridget

Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
My TPMS sets off a warning when pressure is low..Has done it twice now, I checked the pressure, it was low and after filling up, and resetting TPMS it stays off. I have an '09 MCCs.
Yep, it should be telling you when your pressures are low...tccox - if your monitors aren't telling you that then you need to get them checked cause they ain't working properly!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 AM
tccox
4th Gear
If there's a several PSI delta in tyre pressure between one of the tyres and the others it might warn you of low tyre pressure, however as the manual says:

"A natural, even pressure loss in all four tyres cannot be detected. Therefore check the tyre inflation pressure regularly"

as all four of mine were very close it did not throw a flag.

And I'm guessing "check regularly" does not mean going from November 17 to February 19 before checking for the first time.

(Now, back to me desk to finish writing 1000 times, "I WILL check my Mini's tyre pressures on a regular basis)

Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINILLA
Yep, it should be telling you when your pressures are low...tccox - if your monitors aren't telling you that then you need to get them checked cause they ain't working properly!
FYI- There are 2 systems used in MINI's: FTM and TPM

The FTM system works by comparing the rotational speed of each tire. I believe it uses the ABS sensors? The FTM system will tell you when one or more tires are significantly lower than the others but will NOT tell you when all 4 tires are low together.

The TPM is an optional system which has electronic sensors in each wheel.
The manual does not go into detail about when the system will alert you other then it will let you know if one or more tires are low. TPM is subject to temporary malfunction due to radio interference.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Interesting, so I have the FTM system apparently but the window sticker says Tire Pressure Monitor TPM) and lists it as a standard feature on the MCS. Is that correct ???

Old 02-19-2011, 06:46 AM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
7 PSI, it might should have chimed in. I heven't heard about a flat tire monitor, but don't doubt it.
I had a constant slow leak in a tire on the 09. It would set off at 29 PSI, with a setting of 35 for the RF's. You may want to get it looked in to or at least ask.
However,,,,,,,, You are correct that you should check your tires. It takes about 2 minutes and there is no excuse for not doing it at least weekly.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
I had a slow leak in one of mine and the TPMS went off when it hit 29 lbs. But one thing we do not know is what the TPMS sensors were set at. Sounds like the dealership put 32 lbs of pressure in the tires and probably set the TPMS sensor there.

If you have not done it yet, you should reset your TPMS now that the tires are correctly inflated.

FWIW, I check my pressures about once a month, or if there has been a major temp swing.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tccox
Interesting, so I have the FTM system apparently but the window sticker says Tire Pressure Monitor TPM) and lists it as a standard feature on the MCS. Is that correct ???
No, TPMS is a federally mandated system for ALL new US cars- you certainly have it.

There's a thread here (link) that basically states that BOTH are in place on your cars, since the FTM's system sensors are all in place anywhere for the ABS.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Thanks all. With properly inflated tyres it actually drives better, imagine that. From now on , once a week check the tyres.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually - Set per the door sticker is too low in the winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=168&

Last edited by MCS Fever; 02-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
A simple way to check if you Tire Pressure Monitors is if you have a metal valve stem. The sensor is built into the stem and is a oval plastic piece that sits in the wheel,

Old 02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
tccox

not arguing with you about that fact that the tire pressure should be checked.

But the tire pressure sensors DO go off and will show one low tire if they are set properly.

The sensors are designed to show low pressure on any tire that is 3-4 pounds lower than the pressure at the last reset. I.E. reset at 38 pressure drops to 34-33 then the light sensor will tell the system to warn you. If reset at 33 then at 29-28 they will warn you.

Also of note is that the system will not reset if the tire pressure is uneven from side to side on one or the other axle by more than approximately 1.8 pounds

Many people in the northern part of the country have problems with the TMPS system during the spring and fall because the temps can vary form day to day by more than 40 degrees and that is all it take to cause the pressure change enough to set the sensors off. I.E. checked my tires yesterday set the pressure to 38 psi and the temp was 58 degrees. Reset the system and then this morning had a low tire warning because the Temperature had dropped to 27 and checking the pressure reveals that they are at 32 psi. Ignore it and drove around this morning and by this afternoon the temp was back up to 35 and the pressure was at 35 psi. It is something that a lot of us Norther tier people have learned to live with. I will be checking the pressure again tomorrow as the temps are going down to the 20' and will stay there for about a week according to the forecasters at least.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
tccox

not arguing with you about that fact that the tire pressure should be checked.

But the tire pressure sensors DO go off and will show one low tire if they are set properly.

The sensors are designed to show low pressure on any tire that is 3-4 pounds lower than the pressure at the last reset. I.E. reset at 38 pressure drops to 34-33 then the light sensor will tell the system to warn you. If reset at 33 then at 29-28 they will warn you.

Also of note is that the system will not reset if the tire pressure is uneven from side to side on one or the other axle by more than approximately 1.8 pounds

Many people in the northern part of the country have problems with the TMPS system during the spring and fall because the temps can vary form day to day by more than 40 degrees and that is all it take to cause the pressure change enough to set the sensors off. I.E. checked my tires yesterday set the pressure to 38 psi and the temp was 58 degrees. Reset the system and then this morning had a low tire warning because the Temperature had dropped to 27 and checking the pressure reveals that they are at 32 psi. Ignore it and drove around this morning and by this afternoon the temp was back up to 35 and the pressure was at 35 psi. It is something that a lot of us Norther tier people have learned to live with. I will be checking the pressure again tomorrow as the temps are going down to the 20' and will stay there for about a week according to the forecasters at least.

I suspect that, as another poster said that the dealer set tyre pressures at 32 or so so my readings of 32/31 would not have triggered warning. I've set all at 38 and run reset. It sure handles a bit better and I think all is well now.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So if you park one side of the car in the sun - they will go off - great system there MINI .. Like GM's much better....

Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It was probably just reset by someone when the pressures were around 31 or so, since they were all around the same pressure level. So the car was just looking for 31, not 38.