R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To DSC or not - think think think

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To DSC or not - think think think

Hello

I'm making my last minute change to my MCS

** Is DSC really worth the $$?

** I keep hearing that the Sparkling Silver is not a ' tanish ' color as the conf makes it out to be. True? MINI here in GE doesn't have the SS in stock, and I'm pondering the change. But a few pics I've seen online lead me to believe different.

** Leather - I heard it really doesn't hold up for the long term. True, that the leatherette is better? I have cloth set now, but considering the upgrade to full leather.

** How do you like living with the auto headlights/washer function. Does it really work or just more a nice to have?

OK, many many motoring thanks!

My production week is Feb 19th
Plannig a plant tour that week

Last edited by 07PepperS; 01-10-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: shhh typo
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
DSC is a safty feature like ABS in that it works very well but is mostly only needed in unexpected limited traction situations, like a patch of unseen ice or a violent accident avoidance maneuver in the rain. I believe the gov has or will mandate that cars have some form of DSC in the future as it's pretty much proven to work. Due to that, some future buyers of your MINI may want to reimburse you for some of your added costs. Plus it has the hill holder feature built in. I'm getting it.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
lava
5th Gear
I passed on the DSC. I survived this far without it, without airbags too. I'll take that risk. Besides everybody is putting freaking circuit board in their car to turn the darn thing off when they want to autox anyway.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 07PepperS
YES!

** I keep hearing that the Sparkling Silver is not a ' tanish ' color as the conf makes it out to be.
It is a real silver.... it is not beige or gold tinted as in the configurator.

** Leather - I heard it really doesn't hold up for the long term. True, that the leatherette is better? I have cloth set now, but considering the upgrade to full leather.
The beige full leather seats looked and felt great.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting it also. I decided the DSC is one of those things that you hope you'll never need. I switched out cruise/streering wheel upgrade for DSC on my order. I figured I could live without the convience and would most likely not miss it but if the DSC does it's job someday to avoid an otherwise serious situation having the cruise will not matter much.
Do a search here on the DSC. You'll find others that had the same question and lots of great input from members.
The Sparkling Silver is allusive. Try MINI2's forum and do a search in the galleries. It's based in the UK (I think) and they actually have the vehicles on the road over there so finding real-life photos are much more likely -- I do think I saw a few there.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Hello

** I keep hearing that the Sparkling Silver is not a ' tanish ' color as the conf makes it out to be. True? MINI here in GE doesn't have the SS in stock, and I'm pondering the change. But a few pics I've seen online lead me to believe different.

** How do you like living with the auto headlights/washer function. Does it really work or just more a nice to have?

I got the DSC thinking it would be worth it, Now everytime i get in the car i turn it off. just my .02 cents.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No questions about DSC for me. Last year our BMW's DSC went out (turned out to be a quick computer reset). We were in a line of BMWs on a drive when we hit some wet leaves. We were only going about 25, but the car whipped around as fast as you can imagine. Only quick action by the driver prevented an accident. No other car in the line of 50 had the problem, but of course, they all had DSC--all were late model BMWs. It was the first box I checked...

Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Hello

I'm making my last minute change to my MC

See Paulo's pics in his Gallery from his Ireland test drive there are at least 2 photos that have Sparkling in them.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
2005MCS/KK
2nd Gear
At first, I found the DSC was so annoying, but after it saved me 3 times in last winter, now I find it is a must to have, especially when you live in a city like Montreal. Plus, you can always purchase the MTH software to set it to be less aggressive, or turn it off, at least you can have a choice to turn it on or off.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
DSC will be on my 07 MCS. It is definitely worth it. Countless threads on NAM where people swear it saved them many times.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Is this in 07's? "DSC... has the hill holder feature built in."

Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Yes it's an R56 feature. It's officially called Hill Start Assist.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with the no DSC bunch. I turn it off constantly in all cars I've had with the feature. I usually have just left it on in the rain, but I've found it's mostly a hazard when trying to pull out of a wet driveway or intersection because it shuts down the gas to the engine making you move much slower than intended. California usually has less low traction situations anyway I suppose. I'll just drive slower in the rain. That seems to work fine.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I am by myself in the car I turn it off for fun. When I have passengers, especially one of my kids, it stays on for safety.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
I'm with the no DSC bunch. I turn it off constantly in all cars I've had with the feature. I usually have just left it on in the rain, but I've found it's mostly a hazard when trying to pull out of a wet driveway or intersection because it shuts down the gas to the engine making you move much slower than intended.
You still get traction control without DSC and that seems to be the issue you are describing. Most systems now let the wheels spin a bit so what you are describing should not be a problem with a new car.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
eVal
6th Gear
You can find a lot of info and opinions searching here for previously posted info on the DSC, leather and such from people who have had it on the R53 and other cars, however for better info on the R56 specifically you might do better over at the Mini2 forum since there are more people in Europe who actually have the cars on that board.

We can speculate that it is similar to our experiences, however the reality is that the DSC might have changed and act somewhat differently on the R56; the program has actually seemed to behave differently based on when the car was produced even in the same model so I wouldn't be surprised if it was not identical. Same with the leather, different materials and design can effect how the seat last.

That said, fwiw, the leather on both the 03 and the 05 MCS held up very well for us Oh, and IMHO the DSC is a good safety tool to have when you want it, better then the standard ASC you get without it, and you can always turn it off when you don't want it.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 AM
R56MCS
Banned
I skipped the DSC on my MCS, I've always turned them off on previous cars so I didn't bother this time.

The headlight washesrs are quite neat. They are in the headlight assembly and pop out to was the lights. Not essential bu tpretty cool.

The auto light on feature is OK, again not essential but nice to have IMHO.

The SS is a champagne colour, I have yet to see a pic that does it justice, it's better in real life, it does, however need the black roof. Lokks real good with red leather too.

I have the leather lounge seats (English leather seats in the US). Good seat and nice leather, too early to comment on wear (its only 6 weeks old).

Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
rec
2nd Gear
i have DSC, and it really works well when you hit a bit of water at 70 and aquaplane.

also, it helps when you bomb it around a roundabout, but that dont matter cos you dont have them there much :P

Old 01-11-2007, 04:50 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I got it, no question. Countless articles have shown it saves lives. If it engages once, it may be the best 500 you ever spent. The hill assist is good too. From what I've read on mini2 forum and reviews of R56 it seems to be better programmed than before.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Hello

Absolutely worth it. It is especially nice with the LSD as they set the traction control function to allow more wheel spin than without the LSD. I would recommend adding the LSD if you do not already have it.

Leather is more slippery than the cloth and does not hold you in position in your seat while you are motoring about briskly. The cloth is also warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I had cloth on my '02 MCS and it looked like new when I traded it in at 37,000 smiles. I have the cloth in my '06 MCS and wouldn't think about anything else.

The headlight washers are manditory when you select the Xenon headlight option. Federal regs. The idea behind the headlight washers is that if your windshield it getting dirty from road spray then the headlights are also and a dirty headlight makes more glare for oncoming traffic. Do they work? Yes. Are they worth it? I do not see the glare. That is somebody elses problem . Are they cool? Yes! They are on both my MCSs.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, I am sure you will like it.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I skipped DSC and will probably skip it on my R56. I would, however never argue with someone who wanted it for safety reasons. Several factors influenced my decision...mostly my local motoring environs and how I drive within them (DSC would be off a lot). I've been in a few weird spots in my Cooper over the past four years...driver reaction/control always proved to be more than adequate to address them, but again that's on local roads where little could be classified as "extreme."

I will also mention that I was scared off of DSC early on from reading stories here on NAM in which the system's performance was too obtrusive. I expect those issues have been largely resolved by now.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:14 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
I got the DSC with my Zenon lights, thats all I care about

Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Bear in mind that ASC is standard.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
If I got DSC, it would end up being another button I'd have to push when I got in the MINI.

Sport Mode ON? Check!
DSC OFF? Check!

:D

Quick Reply: R56 To DSC or not - think think think