R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Checklist before picking up the R56

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:39 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checklist before picking up the R56

Wondered if anyone has worked up a checklist to use at the dealer before taking delivery of an ordered R56. I'm thinking along the lines of quality control, flaws, etc. It would be nice to have it in hand and take the time to check things out before signing the papers, ya know?
Just a thought.... (mine's arriving on 2/20, and I plan on getting it when I get back in town 3/5)
Ed. in L.A.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Excellent idea.

KenCooper was talking about somthing like that in an earlier thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=91476

...and over on www.mini2.com:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...sted-here.html
---and---
http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...st-2007-a.html

I don't know if there was an official pick-up checklist printed anywhere, though.

Me, personally... at the dealership/parked... I would look for:

-All options present? Go down your build sheet line-by-line.

-Dealer programmed accessories. Are the windoes, turn signals, radio, and other programmable features working the way you want? Check now, it's free. The dealer may charge a service fee later for re-programming.

-Uneven panel gaps? Run your finger along the different panel seams. hood, doors, boot and bonnet. If you feel (or see) the gap "pinch" together, ask them to fix it.

-Windows, trim and seals. No cracks or dings in the glass. All seals appear smooth and even? No budges or gaps that might suggest a future leak?

-All panels securely attached? Everything appear solid at the edges? Black plastic fenders, too? Grab 'em. Give 'em a wiggle. Rear spoiler, too?

-Bonet, boot and doors. Do they all open and close in a uniform manner? Latchs secure? Levers and handles feel solid? No notcheyness, snags or strangeness? Everything appear to seal up tight? Listen for wind-noise during your test-drive, too.

-Is the bonnet making contact with the line running near the turbo? See here for pics: http://motoringfile.com/2007/02/22/p...nnet/#comments
If so, ask for it to be relocated, or a rubber "bumper" strip to be attached for some additional protection in that area.

-Even paint coverage and color? Make sure to look in a well lit area. Outside, if possible.

-Dents, dings, scratches or scrapes in the surface suffered during shipping (rare, but happens)?

-Fit and finish of interor. Look for stitching issues in the seats. Even/uniform carpeting coverage. Headliner, too. Scrapes or scratches on the side panels, dash or color line.

-Steering wheel & Column. Doest it tilt and telescope as designed? No strange noises going lock-to-lock?

-Windows go up & down? Smooth consistant motor speed?

-Full sunroof operation (if applicable)? Tips both panes and fully retracts.

-Check the fit and function of all the control **** and switches. Check 'em one-by-one. Stereo, too. Don't be afraid to play it LOUD at the dealer. Use the radio. Used the CD player. AUX-in port, too. Make sure it all works. As well as the fit of the speakers in the doors and dash. This includes your remote key, too.

-Interior lighting. Changing colors as designed. All other door sill, footwell and reading lights working (wherever they may be)?

-Air conditioning blowing cold and all climate controls working as intended? Check it if you've got it.

-All lighting equipment operational? Lights, blinkers, etc... headlights aimed properly.

-All fluids present and topped off? Sounds silly, but... I never assume.

-Tires. Check tire pressure and double-check they are mounted in the proper direction. There are little arrows on the side that show which way they should be rotating. Improperly mounted and inflated tires can effect somthing as simple as gas milage... or cause somthing as bad as a firey crash (a mild exaggeration if you look at the big Firestone/Bridgestone fiasco a few years back). This is particularly important with runflat tires, since it is not likely that you will notice the feel of an underinflated tire.

-Paint & Finish - go over the entire exterior paint with your hand to identify the smoothness of the finish, there have apparently been damaged/repaired areas during transport that are not the same as manufactured quality.

-Rear headliner - is it firmly attached to the interior roof above the rear passenger windows.

- Car jack and wrench - they should be identified as 5DD on the Vehicle Inquiry Report.

- Clear plastic paint-rub circles for the bonnet and hood intact? They are located where the rubber "stand-offs" meet the painted bodywork, to eliminate paint damage.

Then go for a test drive:

-Rattles or squeeks? all cars have 'em... but any that concern you, bring up to the dealer.

-Transmission noise and function. Upshifts and downshifts well? Any noises out of the ordinary tranny whine (particularly downshifting from 3rd to 2nd)?

-Engine noise and function. Does it sound smooth? No misses, pops, surges or stumbles?

-All gauges appear to be working as intended? No bouncing speedo or burnt out LEDs in the display screens (very rare, but it happens)?

- Cruise control - Operate as normal, not inadvertently cut-off during operation.

- Does the VIN number on the vehicle match that listed in your purchase paperwork?

Last edited by msh441; 12-12-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Wow MSH, great checklist!

Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
It is rare, but when I picked up my '05 MC, there were two very small perfectly round indentations on the passenger side door. I didn't see them, but fortunately, my husband did. We showed our MA and he had me return the car a few days later to have paintless dent repair. So, be sure to check the car over carefully, because had my husband not noticed the dents in the showroom, I'm sure our dealer would've said they occurred after we left.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:19 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
It is rare, but when I picked up my '05 MC, there were two very small perfectly round indentations on the passenger side door.
Yep, like I said, it's really rare, but shipping damage does happen. I have a vehicle shipping horror story myself . Good catch on your hubby's part.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Yep, like I said, it's really rare, but shipping damage does happen. I have a vehicle shipping horror story myself . Good catch on your hubby's part.
What happened?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Be sure that all the dealer programmable options are programmed the way you want them to be. The reprogramming is free at delivery but most dealers will charge you a hefty fee for reprogramming after that. (sorry but I do not know what the R56 programmable options are but on my R52 there were things like when the doors would lock/unlock themselves, daytime driving lights on or off, uhhhh I can't think of any more it's been so long ago but the options were listed in the owners manual which I downloaded from the owners lounge before delivery)

Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that this is a feature that can be programmed or changed by the owner using the owners manual.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
I believe that this is a feature that can be programmed or changed by the owner using the owners manual.
I am not sure what you mean but on my Mini dealer programmed options could not be programmed by the owner

Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I am not sure what you mean but on my Mini dealer programmed options could not be programmed by the owner
My MA told me that on the R56's the owner will be able to program the options themselves, a feature that was not available before.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
msh441 .. I hope everyone here prints out your checklist and uses it. That way everyone wins. The buyer gets essentially a flawless car, and Mini (and the rest of us for that matter) won't have to deal with all the negative word-of-mouth new car delivery griping on forums such as this.

Word-of-mouth can be Mini's greatest friend or its worst enemy following launch of the R56. If I were the Mini dealer I would definitely want the buyer to follow your list in detail. Heck, it's easier to address issues at initial purchase than having to handle them at a later date (also minimizes customer relations issues). And if the service department knows that every buyer will look at the car is such detail, they'll put extra effort in making sure the car is prepared right the first time.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
My MA told me that on the R56's the owner will be able to program the options themselves, a feature that was not available before.
cool, that's a good idea because it was very mind boggling to try to figure out what they all were before delivery

Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
msh441
6th Gear
What happened?
Well, the short version is:

Shipped a race bike to Florida.

It got dropped, damaged the bodywork and broke off a footpeg.

The airline lost my luggage with all my gear.

Couldn't get replacement parts and had to race with borrowed gear and only one footpeg. It sucked.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
msh441: Thank you for taking the time to create this checklist. I have printed it out and will use it.

dean.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
One more item .. Check to see that the arrows are pointing the right direction on directional tires, or if not directional but assemitrical, assure that the word, "outside", is indeed on the outside and not on the inside. Also, from the dumlop site, it says that with assemetrical tires the more grooved part of the tire should be on the inside (I'd have thought what looks like the more grippy multiple grooved part would have been on the outside) Check this link:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...our-tyres.html

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 02-20-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: New information regarding assemertical tires
Old 02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Well, the short version is:

Shipped a race bike to Florida.

It got dropped, damaged the bodywork and broke off a footpeg.

The airline lost my luggage with all my gear.

Couldn't get replacement parts and had to race with borrowed gear and only one footpeg. It sucked.
Wow, the gods were against you on this one. Sorry for the off-topic, but how did you do in the race?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Dealer Checklist?

On second thought, the dealer must have a fairly complete checklist that they use, true? Any MINI employees here willing/able to share such a list?
I'm going to add "Noise from Sunroof when closed and zooming down the road" since I noticed a bit much on the test drive. Some say that is just an early release problem. Hope so.

Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
msh441 .. I hope everyone here prints out your checklist and uses it. That way everyone wins. The buyer gets essentially a flawless car, and Mini (and the rest of us for that matter) won't have to deal with all the negative word-of-mouth new car delivery griping on forums such as this.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Wow, the gods were against you on this one. Sorry for the off-topic, but how did you do in the race?
Finished both races... but I felt like I was leaning about two or three inches to the right the whole time... and shifting was odd (ot was the left side). Cornering was weird, too. But I found a place in the frame I could wedge my heal in for support. Still odd, though.

Originally Posted by MiniMoMir
On second thought, the dealer must have a fairly complete checklist that they use, true? Any MINI employees here willing/able to share such a list?
I'm going to add "Noise from Sunroof when closed and zooming down the road" since I noticed a bit much on the test drive. Some say that is just an early release problem. Hope so.
I would bet they use somthing for PDI purposes. Whether or not they would share it with you... I would imagine it would depend on who, and how, you asked.

If you are able to get somthing... see if you can get a copy and I'd be more than happy to add the info here. I would imagine there are a number of dealers that would tell you there is no list, or that might be less willing to share it if it existed. Know what I mean?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 AM
lava
5th Gear
Something to add to your check list:

pointed out on MotoringFile:

http://motoringfile.com/2007/02/22/p...on-r56-bonnet/

A small fitting under the hood appears to be rubbing on the underside of the hood on some cars, rubbing through the paint. If you car is showing that the dealer should address it, or at least acknowledge the issue when you pick up for a later fix.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Be sure that all the dealer programmable options are programmed the way you want them to be. The reprogramming is free at delivery but most dealers will charge you a hefty fee for reprogramming after that. (sorry but I do not know what the R56 programmable options are but on my R52 there were things like when the doors would lock/unlock themselves, daytime driving lights on or off, uhhhh I can't think of any more it's been so long ago but the options were listed in the owners manual which I downloaded from the owners lounge before delivery)
My understanding (backed by my MA) is that all the programming options can be done by the owner now. No dealer needed.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
lava
5th Gear
Yes - that is true. The directions in the manual make it look easy.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Picking mine up today. Printing this out as we speak!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 AM
OSUmcs
2nd Gear
Have a nice drive home!! We all want to hear about and see what she looks like We will be waiting for your report. Good Luck!!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 AM
tpetro33
4th Gear
Hey MSH441!!!!

Can't wait to see pics, I love your build........

Congrats!!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:36 AM
DoubleDuece
1st Gear
I wanted to bring this thread back up onto the first page for those of us who will be picking up our rides in the next few weeks.

msh441 put together an amazing checklist to walk through before you sign off at the dealer. Thanks to msh441 and everyone else who posted on this earlier thread. I know I will use it in a few weeks.

I would love to hear if someone has anything else to add.

DoubleDuece just rolled off the line and is waiting for a truck to the dock

Quick Reply: R56 Checklist before picking up the R56