DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Problem - Looks like it is from Tate

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:41 PM
MrFalcon
|
3rd Gear
Problem - Looks like it is from Tate

So I ended up taking MrFalcon into Tate Mini for some service a lil while back, before I had heard / read some of the issues people have had there. Part of what was worked on was the replacement of the motor for the window on the drivers side.

Problem is...my window has been stuttering a little bit (on occasion) when I raise it. Not exactly what I would expect with a brand new motor... and upon closer inspection...the window in its full "up" position doesn't remotely resemble the window on the passenger side. At least not as far as how it fits against the seal of the door/frame. It doesn't let in water, but it is glaringly obvious now that I'm looking at it and am aware.

Plus, it looks like something must have happened to my drivers side door to raise it. The beltline trim on my door is a considerable amount higher than the beltline trim on the rear quarter-panel. No, I hadn't noticed it before (and I had help putting the blackout kit on that side, so I didn't do that door), though now it really sticks out. I wondered if I had just never noticed it, but looking at some of the first pictures I took...the door was not always higher. And the passenger side lines up perfectly.

I know some people can look at their Mini from a thousand yards off and see if something is out of place, but its all still so new for me (plus, it isn't my daily driver) so I'm a little slow catching these things sometimes.

Moving beyond just aesthetics, I'm not always getting my drivers door completely closed. I've had to increase the force I shut the door with to make sure it closes all the way, or I'll be driving down the road with much more road noise before I realize that i can also see light through the crack of the door.

These, I should say, are problems.

So what do I do? Do I call up Tate and give them the opportunity to fix things? Or do I run like hell to another dealer, and ask them to fix what doesn't seem to have been done right by one of their peers?

I know pictures are worth a thousand words, and I'll post those later once I can take a few...but my head is spinning here, and y'all are my experts.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:56 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
aw geeezz....Tate strikes again.
See if they can fix it, but go with before and after photos. If they slough you off, I guess you'll have to go elsewhere. If they "fix" it, and it's still messed up, call corporate MINI. I have a rep's # if you need it. Despite other owners having called them about problems with Tate, they (MINIUSA)don't seem to get the picture.

Old 07-19-2007 | 01:00 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I am sure you would have noticed these problems before. I'd take it back to them. Whether they did it or not, they should fix it. I would not be surprised if some idiot decided to "adjust" the door in an attempt to get the window to fully close.

Old 07-20-2007 | 07:27 AM
MrFalcon
|
3rd Gear
Not the greatest of pics (boo on dead camera, cheers for camera phones) but they get some of the point across. It is hard to tell the difference between the the two windows in these pictures, the cell phone is NOT that great...but you can tell the difference in gap for sure.

Ugh.

Good window, bad window, uneven door...

Attached Thumbnails Problem - Looks like it is from Tate-goodwindow.jpg   Problem - Looks like it is from Tate-badwindow.jpg   Problem - Looks like it is from Tate-dooruneven.jpg