DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change

Emma is ready for her first oil change (with me, that is), so I did a forum search on oil changes. It looks fairly easy, as I usually do all my own oil changes on the other cars, but the removal of the filter canister looks a little tricky - how does one avoid getting oil all over everything? Anyone have any favorite tricks?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by Claymore
Emma is ready for her first oil change (with me, that is), so I did a forum search on oil changes. It looks fairly easy, as I usually do all my own oil changes on the other cars, but the removal of the filter canister looks a little tricky - how does one avoid getting oil all over everything? Anyone have any favorite tricks?
Drain the oil via the plug in the bottom. Loosen the filter canister (but don't remove it) and let it drain for a few minutes. After that the majority of the oil should have left the canister and it should be relatively easy to remove with minimal spills.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
Drain the oil via the plug in the bottom. Loosen the filter canister (but don't remove it) and let it drain for a few minutes. After that the majority of the oil should have left the canister and it should be relatively easy to remove with minimal spills.
+1. A couple of other thoughts... you might stop by a boat accessory store like Boat US, West Marine, etc. and pick up a few oil absorbing sheets (less than a buck each), tear one in half and tuck it under the filter before you loosen it. These sheets only absorb petroleum products and do a great job!

Also, if you pull your dipstick out a bit after removing the drain plug it will help the oil drain faster out of the engine and filter.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
Originally Posted by hypnohealer
+1. A couple of other thoughts... you might stop by a boat accessory store like Boat US, West Marine, etc. and pick up a few oil absorbing sheets (less than a buck each), tear one in half and tuck it under the filter before you loosen it. These sheets only absorb petroleum products and do a great job!

Also, if you pull your dipstick out a bit after removing the drain plug it will help the oil drain faster out of the engine and filter.
Great idea! There's a West Marine down in Rockville. I'll have to go down there tomorrow at lunch.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
I went to Advance Auto Parts at lunch to pick up an oil drain pan, and they had Rhino Ramps on sale - $29!

Last edited by Claymore; 04-10-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
BLERG.

That did not go well.

Whoever did the last oil change torqued the living **** out of the drain plug - I had to use my foot to leverage the wrench.

Once that was done, I loosened the canister, popped the dipstick and loosened the oil filler cap to make sure I got a good drain. So far, so good.

Once the engine finished draining, I took the canister off. This is where things got dicey. In removing the canister (cursing the entire time about the placement), I managed to get the canister off halfway before the filter popped out and rested on the subframe. *&#%!#!!! So I managed to rescue the filter, which thankfully landed upright. Why "thankfully"? Read on...

OK, so I got everything sorted out. I cleaned out the canister, got the o-ring off, put the new on and started to put the filter in the canister. Now I know the spindle hole on the bottom of the filter (the hole that seats on the canister) is supposed to be a tight fit, but for the life of me I could net get the SOB to "pop" onto the spindle - and yes, I had the correct end. So fussed with it for about five minutes, and eventually applied so much pressure that I bent the internal spindle on the filter, so much so that the damn thing would not go on straight. The filter wouldn't seat far down enough that I could get the canister to thread.

So there I was with a drained engine, no oil filter, and no car to run to the nearest parts store. Soooo....

I re-used the oil filter. I am SO going to Mini Hell. Looks like another oil change REAL soon.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
1100 miles or so. I was planning to be brave this weekend and attempt it. Now I'm nervous, Claymore.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Claymore
BLERG.

That did not go well.

Whoever did the last oil change torqued the living **** out of the drain plug - I had to use my foot to leverage the wrench.

Once that was done, I loosened the canister, popped the dipstick and loosened the oil filler cap to make sure I got a good drain. So far, so good.

Once the engine finished draining, I took the canister off. This is where things got dicey. In removing the canister (cursing the entire time about the placement), I managed to get the canister off halfway before the filter popped out and rested on the subframe. *&#%!#!!! So I managed to rescue the filter, which thankfully landed upright. Why "thankfully"? Read on...

OK, so I got everything sorted out. I cleaned out the canister, got the o-ring off, put the new on and started to put the filter in the canister. Now I know the spindle hole on the bottom of the filter (the hole that seats on the canister) is supposed to be a tight fit, but for the life of me I could net get the SOB to "pop" onto the spindle - and yes, I had the correct end. So fussed with it for about five minutes, and eventually applied so much pressure that I bent the internal spindle on the filter, so much so that the damn thing would not go on straight. The filter wouldn't seat far down enough that I could get the canister to thread.

So there I was with a drained engine, no oil filter, and no car to run to the nearest parts store. Soooo....

I re-used the oil filter. I am SO going to Mini Hell. Looks like another oil change REAL soon.
Sorry to hear about the incident.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
Originally Posted by Quesera
1100 miles or so. I was planning to be brave this weekend and attempt it. Now I'm nervous, Claymore.
Don't worry, it'll be fine. I've had a few hours to calm down, and realize that it's really not so bad - just make sure you get the filter seated properly in the canister.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
The new filter will be very tight so one way of making the install easier is to first push the filter down on the tube on the engine side of the filter housing. After doing this, pull the filter off and firmly insert it into the canister housing making sure that it goes all the way on. Now, when you start to screw the canister back on, it should go on easier. There is a how-to on this some where in the forums that has pictures and everything.

Also, make sure to lubricate the new O-ring with some oil. I'm assuming this was on an R53.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
Originally Posted by rhawth99
The new filter will be very tight so one way of making the install easier is to first push the filter down on the tube on the engine side of the filter housing. After doing this, pull the filter off and firmly insert it into the canister housing making sure that it goes all the way on. Now, when you start to screw the canister back on, it should go on easier. There is a how-to on this some where in the forums that has pictures and everything.

Also, make sure to lubricate the new O-ring with some oil. I'm assuming this was on an R53.
Yup, an R53. I found the DIY thread you're talking about, but either I had a brain fart or I got an unusually tight filter. I checked the part number, so I know I got the right one.

I already have another filter on the way, along with a different 36mm socket - the one I have is a smidge too tall. I also have a K&N air filter on the way.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
OK, got my new oil filter (Mann) and all my other stuff, so time for Round 2 this evening.

Emma will think she's died and gone to heaven - two oil changes with Motul 8100 within a week. I just hope she doesn't expect this on a regular basis, at $45 a pop just for oil.