DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Where to get clear coated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to get clear coated?

Hellooo..

I've received a carbon fiber hood scoop without clearcoat on..
where can I find a shop taht will do it for cheap + quality?

It's a small piece it can't be really expensive..

Old 11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since it is a small piece, I'd just head down to my local auto parts store and buy a spray can of automotive clear coat. Follow the directions, smooth sand it between coats and you'll have it looking great for just a few bucks and will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Otherwise, any local body shop will spray it for a reasonable price when they are spraying their next clearcoat. . .

Old 11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Since it is a small piece, I'd just head down to my local auto parts store and buy a spray can of automotive clear coat. Follow the directions, smooth sand it between coats and you'll have it looking great for just a few bucks and will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Otherwise, any local body shop will spray it for a reasonable price when they are spraying their next clearcoat. . .
Ah I see
do you recomend specific brand for clear coating?
and also, it seems to be resin coated, what density(?) of sand paper do I have to use to smooth it out while not damaging that piece.?

Old 11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, I am no expert on painting, but I have successfully painted small parts with great success and nothing but some 400 and 600 grit wet sand paper and an aerosol spray can kit of touch-up paint.

First, I sanded the small pieces with increasingly finer sandpapers: 400, 600, 1000 grit and then washed the pieces. Then I painted the color (which you will obviously omit). I did light coats one each night for 3 days, sanding in between.

Then I sprayed 3 coats of clearcoat. The pieces I painted looked fantastic and an amateur can do just fine on small parts.

One trick about spray painting is to spray from far enough away (8-10 inches), starting the spray while pointing away from the piece and then passing the spray across the piece. Don't do thick coats and wait for each one to dry.

Since I am an admitted amateur, you might get better info here but I do believe that anyone who is a little patient and willing to try something will be happy with their results.

You might also find that any local body shop might spray it for $20 and painting it yourself might be more hassle than it is worth. . . .

Old 11-05-2005, 07:07 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
First, I am no expert on painting, but I have successfully painted small parts with great success and nothing but some 400 and 600 grit wet sand paper and an aerosol spray can kit of touch-up paint.

First, I sanded the small pieces with increasingly finer sandpapers: 400, 600, 1000 grit and then washed the pieces. Then I painted the color (which you will obviously omit). I did light coats one each night for 3 days, sanding in between.

Then I sprayed 3 coats of clearcoat. The pieces I painted looked fantastic and an amateur can do just fine on small parts.

One trick about spray painting is to spray from far enough away (8-10 inches), starting the spray while pointing away from the piece and then passing the spray across the piece. Don't do thick coats and wait for each one to dry.

Since I am an admitted amateur, you might get better info here but I do believe that anyone who is a little patient and willing to try something will be happy with their results.

You might also find that any local body shop might spray it for $20 and painting it yourself might be more hassle than it is worth. . . .
Thank you for the great info..!
Well, I guess I will go ahead and pay $20 or so to get it done..
hah! Thanks!