DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

MTTS DC to NJ Alternate Route

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info jwasbury! You said you live in JC, correct?

Oh....for anyone who needs or cares (lol at myself!) pretty much, most NEMINI members have rubber duckies either on their cars in the form of a sticker, or on their antenna. So, if you see a duck, chances are, we are NEMINI!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Is there an official non-official back road way? I see lots of suggestions, but I would really like to know of a route!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNurse
Is there an official non-official back road way? I see lots of suggestions, but I would really like to know of a route!
Well I would move to designate our route as the official non-official back road way but there are a number of back roads you can take from DC to JC. It just depends on how much time you want to take. You are welcome to tag along with us though...

Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
sagworks
running with scissors
What happens if we get the tropical storm. I saw in this thread (or the other) that some of the back roads are flood prone?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:16 PM
miniglenn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sagworks
What happens if we get the tropical storm. I saw in this thread (or the other) that some of the back roads are flood prone?
Then you need to get the JCWWW... the John Cooper Works Water-Wings.

I'm all about a back-route from DC to Jersey, more adventurous than the interstate (though the Jersey Turnpike can be an adventure in itself ).

Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't anyone get the snorkel option?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sagworks
I'm going out in about 20 minutes to check out the roads. I know which ones have a tendancy to flood, so I'm planning on styaing away from them anyway.

MiniNurse....the route is what Dan said till Titusville, NJ (Nutt's for lunch and ice cream) then up the Delaware River to Easton, PA, then backroads over Jugtown Mountain (you must not be afraid of heights!) to Clinton, NJ where we will be hammering on rt 78 (not really hammering since there are tons of cops on 78) where Jacob is taking us right into JC via some alternate roads. Since it is such a long jaunt, and there are a few people organizing, not really sure we can get a route sheet together. We are using 2 ways, with a phone number exchange before we leave. I know my part is all country roads, so there isn't much fear of losing anyone with me!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
We should be fine as the area has not received much rain in the last month or so. If it does flood we will know about it in advance. Should the storm come straight through the area we probably won't have much problem with flooding. But if it goes to the north and west of the delaware river and dumps a lot of rain we could be in for some trouble. I wouldn't anticipate many problems either way because the majority of the twisties are out of range of the river. When the river floods only the immediate areas along the river flood. My parents live about a half mile from the river and even the worst floods haven't come close to threatening their house.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I will be joining everyone at Nutts for lunch on Sunday. I've told Cooper Girl that I will scout out her proposed route on Saturday afternoon to make sure all the roads are clear for Sunday's drive. Nutt's itself stayed high and dry during the severe flooding earlier this year so I don't foresee there being any problems for Sunday.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
I just got back from checking out the roads I was thinking about...bad news and good news: Cutaloosa Road..woo-hoo!! Unfortunatly, most of rt 32 is closed going North...what a day! I did put together an alternate route which will be fun and scenic. I will need a good sweeper and a blocker or two to get out of Nutt's. Other than that...we're going to have a grea time!

Tell your friends, invite your buddies, let's make this so much fun that we'll all want to get together again next summer and do it again!! (nah...I'm not excited what-so-ever!)

Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Thats awesome! I'm excited about this motoring adventure. A fun time on some great roads and then party it up with MINI in Jersey City! This is going to be the best weekend ever!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:58 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many are going?

Gotta start making lists!! The day is coming up!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
How many are going?

Gotta start making lists!! The day is coming up!!!
I'm going, as is cooper girl and some of her friends from NEMINI. There are some others who have expressed some interest to me. PM me or cooper girl with your contact info and we'll make sure you get updates as far as where we are meeting and what time we are leaving. The plan right now is to depart from the MINI "headquarters" hotel in DC around 8ish...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
geowit
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper girl
I just got back from checking out the roads I was thinking about...bad news and good news: Cutaloosa Road..woo-hoo!! Unfortunatly, most of rt 32 is closed going North...what a day! I did put together an alternate route which will be fun and scenic. I will need a good sweeper and a blocker or two to get out of Nutt's. Other than that...we're going to have a grea time!

Tell your friends, invite your buddies, let's make this so much fun that we'll all want to get together again next summer and do it again!! (nah...I'm not excited what-so-ever!)
Alli, you know I'm always up for the sweep.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Yeah!! George is going to sweep for me! I know Baron will block too...he likes yelling at people!

sprp85, I wish we had a good list....people say they want to join us but I hestitate to make a list. I'm sure when we are in DC, we'll get a better idea. Seems that we are going to be taking 95 straight up to Philly then branching off to take the Delaware scenic route. It's all good and planned...still the opportunity to motor w/a large group on the highway, then enjoy some wonderful twisties!

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the river is still pretty low, so we should be in the clear for any flooding! Jerseygirl is going to check it out on Sunday and give me a hollar w/the conditions! Yeah Jerseygirl!

Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I stopped over at Nutts last night to warn the owner of the pending MINI invasion. His response was "Bring 'em on!"

He said if needed he'd cone off an area for us to park. Myself and a few others plan to arrive early to help guide the parking so we can squeeze in a lot of cars while still leaving space for Nutts' regular Sunday customers.

See you all on Sunday!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 AM
TX_MINI
Neutral
Count us in. We're going to return to DC via the NJ Turnpike on Monday and I'm definitely interested in an alternate / scenic route. Please define the meeting point for Sunday morning. I'm sure there will be dozens (if not hundreds) of MINIS in the area and identifying which ones are taking the scenic route will be next to impossible. Thanks for putting this together.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Mr EZ
3rd Gear
I'm interested too. Which is the headquarters hotel in DC

Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
can't wait

Jersey City HERE WE COME Its gonna be AWESOME.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:23 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ezuloaga
I'm interested too. Which is the headquarters hotel in DC
I think its called the Palomar hotel. Its listed on the MTTS website. Unfortunately I can't access it right now because the site won't work on my work computer, but when I get home I'll double check and confirm it.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Originally Posted by cooper girl
Yeah!! George is going to sweep for me! I know Baron will block too...he likes yelling at people!

sprp85, I wish we had a good list....people say they want to join us but I hestitate to make a list. I'm sure when we are in DC, we'll get a better idea. Seems that we are going to be taking 95 straight up to Philly then branching off to take the Delaware scenic route. It's all good and planned...still the opportunity to motor w/a large group on the highway, then enjoy some wonderful twisties!

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the river is still pretty low, so we should be in the clear for any flooding! Jerseygirl is going to check it out on Sunday and give me a hollar w/the conditions! Yeah Jerseygirl!
Flooding and Ernesto...HUMM!!! Plan for some alternate twisties!
COUNT US IN!!! Can't wait to see you Sat!

Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNurse
Flooding and Ernesto...HUMM!!! Plan for some alternate twisties!
COUNT US IN!!! Can't wait to see you Sat!
I was thinking the same thing when I was scouting the route yesterday! It's all taken care of!!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Final Official Plans!!! The day is almost here!!!

Tonight I went over to the MINI headquarters hotel (Hotel Palomar) and scouted everything out. I talked to the guy at the front desk and asked them what MINI was planning on doing for parking, etc. He wasn't quite sure but said that there would be plenty of street parking on Sunday morning. The street is fairly wide and I don't think there should be too many problems.

So here's whats going down. Anybody interested in going on the alternate route through Bucks County, PA should meet at 8am Sunday morning across P Street from Hotel Palomar (2121 P Street, NW Washington, DC) in front of the Bagels Etc. There is a little alley right next to Bagels Etc that leads back to some parking behind the buildings. These are not legal spots as they are all reserved but it will provide a useful area to just pull into. If you can find a street spot I suggest just parking and walking over to the meeting spot and then we'll get all the cars together when we depart. Please PM me or Cooper Girl if you plan on meeting us anywhere enroute to Jersey City to make plans on meeting up with us.

From DC we will go straight up 95 to Its Nutts where we will stop for some lunch. The owners of Its Nutts are excited to have us and will block off some parking for the MINIs! I know there was some talk of getting cheesteaks but due to time constraints we will not be stopping in Philly. However, you are welcome to stop there on your own on the way to Its Nutts and meet up with the rest of the group later.

After lunch we will depart and Cooper Girl will lead us on a drive through some great twisties and beautiful roads in PA and NJ. Then we will start heading for Jersey City and party it up with MINIUSA! This will be a great detour and we have a good sized group going so feel free to meet us on Sunday morning and tag along. Anyone is welcome!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
so no backroads to philly? if ne one needs someone to lead backroads from Bmore to philly, i can do it. i know the scenic route.

i will be running wit u guys whichever route we take.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 AM
minitothemax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bluminiboy
so no backroads to philly? if ne one needs someone to lead backroads from Bmore to philly, i can do it. i know the scenic route.

i will be running wit u guys whichever route we take.
I also have some nice backroad ideas but we can only do so much. In an effort to actually arrive in Jersey City before the party starts I think highways to Buck's County are the only option. I would keep in mind some alternatives just in cast we hear the I 95 is closed due to an overturned tractor trailer carrying frozen turkeys or something. The traffic reports through Philly are on 1060AM every 10 minutes.

-Dan

Quick Reply: MTTS DC to NJ Alternate Route