DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Opinions (not attitude) Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tnkgurl
One quick note on the BBB. It gets you NOTHING. It puts a smear on the company for those who bother to do a check. And even then, it's like a fingerprint on clean glass smear. It really doesn't mean anything to anybody and the vendor isn't obligated in any way, shape or form, to resolve the BBB dispute.
But as a a quality vendor I want to make sure that there is never a smear on my glass. That's why I bring glass clear everywhere I go

Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
The only major issue with the factory "U" stripe is they only made it in 1 color. Silver. And it was only for the Checkmate package Minis. As far as I know they have stopped production on any Checkmate products so now it is all aftermarket.
Actually, the U stripe was available on non-Checkmate 2006 MINIs as well. The aforementioned Alan (Scavenger here on NAM) has it on his 2006 Space Blue MCS, but it is not a Checkmate.

I do believe, as you said, that it was only available in silver though, with the silver roof.
That is where I come in. If you wanted the U stripes in a different color than silver it had to be custom. And just like OEM bonnet stripes there is no such thing as OEM boot stripes either.
Yep - and having seen the black one on xcaligali's MCS in person, I do have to say that the effect is awesome - especially when combined with the appropriate black roof, mirror caps and hood scoop!
So AC saves the day again
LOL - able to stripe short MINIs in a single pass!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:08 PM
MINISQL
3rd Gear
So why did the installer put on a defective stripe? Couldn't he tell the stripe was defective when he installed it? I mean vinyl doesn't go bad, its either cut right and it goes on right or its not and it doesn't. And if it doesn't you tell the customer its not right and you don't charge. Sounds like he was trying to cover something up so he could get paid. I'd get a refund on both and go somewhere else.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
boolean_bones
3rd Gear
IMO if this is the same vendor/installer and not seperate entities, I think it's an utter joke that he/she will replace the stripe but charge for installation. It isn't that difficult to install stripes especially if you do it as a professional. What is he/she going to eat in labor costs, 30 minutes on a bonnet stripe at most? Tell "Mary" good luck for me.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
MINISQL & boolean_bones, the vendor has agreed to resolve the issue, there's no need to beat on a dead horse now.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
boolean_bones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
MINISQL & boolean_bones, the vendor has agreed to resolve the issue, there's no need to beat on a dead horse now.
Ooops guess I missed that.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
MINISQL
3rd Gear
Mea Culpa; I started reading the posts and opened my big mouth before I read the last page. Props to Dragonflyer for doing the right thing!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear

Last edited by dragonflyer; 11-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM
xcaligali
4th Gear
I apologize for not posting sooner; I have been in Salt Lake City for the holidays and only recently did I get internet access. Now the snow is falling and I hope my flight is not canceled tomorrow.

In any event, thank you all for your help and advice in this situation. Mike and I have come to an agreement and I hope to be posting pics of Sweet Caroline after her make-over.

Happy Holidays!
Asya aka Mary ... heehee!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 PM
ssallykat
5th Gear
Glad to hear all is resolved.

Hope you have a safe flight back!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
xcaligali
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ssallykat
Glad to hear all is resolved.

Hope you have a safe flight back!
Thank you Sally! Fingers crossed I get to come home tomorrow :impatient

Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Based on my own assumptions... This vendor did not necessarily charge more for the installation. If there was a problem with the stripe, and the stripe was replaced, I say fair game.

I've bought stripes from the same vendor I believe, and I had to pay quite a bit to have the stripes installed.

On the other hand, if you paid for an install, and the install was at fault, not the material, then the install should be refunded. But like I said, I bet it was a free install... And if it was, then you were getting a deal. If that deal fell through, then it did just that. Fell through. A refunded/replaced stripe is still your moneys worth.

Example:
If I sold you a defective button because I'm a button salesman, and I installed it on your shirt, peachy keen.

If you later called me and I sent you a new button, cool. But I (as a button salesman) would also refuse to pay some other company, who knows how much, to install that button for you. I installed it because I was there, and I benefitted by selling the button. I install as a convenience to help sell my product. But I'm not paying another company likely just as much or more than my button cost to install it, nor would I buy a plane ticket to come install it myself. Both of those situations are rediculous.

By the same token, if Randy Webb came out and installed springs for me, and the springs broke, I would expect new springs. I wouldn't expect him to refund the installation costs. One, he doesn't live near me to do it. And two, it was the springs that were defective, not necessarily the installation.

Basically, if you buy something from a travelling vendor, keep in mind they are travelling vendors, and once they leave they're gone. Regardless of how good they are, they can make mistakes, and they are also running a business. While you can expect the same service you got while they were in town, it's pretty obvious that asking hundreds of dollars (my stripes cost $100 to install) for a service they provided much cheaper if not for free, is not feasable... Because they're not here.

My 2 cents obviously.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Will,

The installs were not free for any of us that day. Discounted, yes - due to the group event... but not free. We were charged two amounts - one for the material, another for the install. At least that was my situation. I understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't apply here.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Sure it does. Still a travelling merchant.

I got my stripes from him, and had them installed elsewhere. If there was a problem with the stripes, I'd hold him accountable for the material. If there was a problem with the install, I'd hold the installer accountable. If that installer went out of business or out of town (like a travelling merchant) good luck holding them accountable for the install.

As for the specific vendor at hand, he always takes care of his customers as best as possible. But some seem to forget it's still a business, and that he is indeed a travelling vendor. I wouldnt be surprised if the install costs covered his flight and material shipping costs, and if his only profit was from materials alone.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
If there was a problem with the stripes, I'd hold him accountable for the material. If there was a problem with the install, I'd hold the installer accountable.
That's the point... they are one and the same... and the fact is that the problem didn't occur later on, it was there from day one, at the point of install.

At a bare minimum, Will... if an installer is accountable, and is unable to do a follow-up install, then the cost of the install should be refundable. Surely you can see that? Why should being from out of town absolve someone from responsibility? The risks inherent should be taken into account by the vendor - and prices should reflect those risks. The customer is offered a product and agrees on the price - they should expect to get what they paid for. Period.

It's all academic now, Mike has accepted responsibility and is determined to make things right. I for one applaud his willingness to do so.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
wilson0728
2nd Gear
It's all academic now, Mike has accepted responsibility and is determined to make things right. I for one applaud his willingness to do so.

Well said!

Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
That's the point... they are one and the same... and the fact is that the problem didn't occur later on, it was there from day one, at the point of install.

At a bare minimum, Will... if an installer is accountable, and is unable to do a follow-up install, then the cost of the install should be refundable. Surely you can see that?
Aye. I do. But if it was an issue from day 1, it should have been handled on day 1. And I also was trying to point out his install cost was likely much less than what anyone in the area charges. Refund for a problem with the install = fair. Paying another unaffiliated installers fees to reinstall = unfair. That's all I'm saying with regards to my own opinion.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:56 AM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Aye. I do. But if it was an issue from day 1, it should have been handled on day 1. And I also was trying to point out his install cost was likely much less than what anyone in the area charges. Refund for a problem with the install = fair. Paying another unaffiliated installers fees to reinstall = unfair. That's all I'm saying with regards to my own opinion.
It's a good thing I have friends in High places

I agree. If I had not been able to work out a deal with Carlos than I would have refunded the install and let here find her own.

BTW the stripe will be going to Carlos today so you should here from him next week Asya.