DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

My car is broken...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Katie. I had partial heat Friday Night. They got the heat pump runnig and one of the two aux heat coils going. Came back at noon to finish the rest and install the new thermostat Sat. It's going to take some getting used to, it sure doesn't warm the house up as quickly as the oil fired boiler / radiators did.

A new boiler was gonna cost $4700. The home owner, a general contractor didn't have a 'sub' that did oil. And the subdivision doesn't have gas. His favorite HVAC sub did it and he helped so I'm sure he saved a bundle going that way.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the temps for this week, I'm glad you got it done Mark! Man, it is cold outside!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
MartyR
5th Gear
For the numbing of pain (or anything, really), you can't beat good ol' Jack Frost. And conveniently he's making an extended stay out of this most recent visit.

Marty

Old 02-10-2007, 06:27 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
The saga freakin' continues!!
Today, Paul was going to put my winter wheels on and this is what he found. Tate is in for a world of hurt, possibly legal action.
This is after paying them $2200 for work that was supposed to be done right the 1st time! I'm so mad, I could spit nails. Good thing I haven't driven the car much, but I did drive it some. I could've been in a serious accident because of their negligence!!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00&ppuser=2088

Right now, the car's in the driveway on jackstands cuz Paul couldn't get everything lined up to lock into place. Even if he did, there's no bolt to hold the assembly together. As it stands right now, it can't even be put on a flatbed, much less driven! :impatient :impatient :impatient :impatient
Heads, spefically Sam's ...the kid who "worked" on my car, are going to roll.
I'm also sending these images with a letter to MINIUSA.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Golsco
2nd Gear
Speechless!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Holy HELL!!!! That's completely unacceptable. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
anyone know a good lawyer?

Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Good thing that you've found out early. This is not acceptable at all.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:40 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That kind of work is unforgivable!! I am very glad you're still with us.
John

Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Oh geeze - that's terrible. Another strike against Tate - they're sure going to regret this one. Go get 'em, Katie! Glad you weren't hurt by it.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats not good at all! Good thing you decided to put on your winter wheels or you probably wouldn't have known anything was wrong until it popped out on the road.

On a side note, my furnace went dead saturday, thats 3 in a week for DCMM!!! GRR

Old 02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IT's bad, but not as bad as it looks.

the steering knuckle pinch bolt isn't in place (I know, pretty obvious). Whether this was forgotten (yikes) not torqued properly (yikes) or what I don't know. I'd guess it was forgotten, as there are lots of threads and it would take forever to back out.

The rest of it isn't that bad. The whole strut assembly twists (it has to, it's fixed to the steering knuckle and that rotates when turning) so the tab on strut will line up with the slot and drop back in. The stock strut is a bit longer than aftermarket, so you may have to fight it a bit, but it will go back togehter.

The steering speed sensor not being in the strut may have happend as the strut moved up and down, it's not held there very tightly....

While this doesn't solve all your problems, have the hubby/boyfriend rotate the strut and pop it back into the steering knuckle. Don't drive, but at least the car can roll onto a flat bed or be towed. IF you're really worried about moving it, get the bolt from you (hopefully very sorry and apologetic) dealer and pop that in for the trip back to the dealer.

This was a very, very dangerous situation. While not many bumps could have knocked the strut out of the steering knuckle (I think you'd have to get airborn) it was possible for it to come out, with potentially disasterous results.

The fact that you caught it saves you and your loved ones some potentially life threatening injury, it also saved MiniUSA potentially hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars of liability. They out to thank you for finding it, fix everything with a loaner, and be kind to you for ever!

Hope it all works out, and I'm glad everyone is safe....

Matt

Old 02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
millerd2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
Whoa - that's unbelievable. Keep us posted!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:09 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today, Paul was going to put my winter wheels on and this is what he found. Tate is in for a world of hurt, possibly legal action.
How did you drive it home that way???????

What legal recourse do you think you have?

There was no accident or injury. They failed to perform their part of a contract to fix correctly what you paid for (which happens all the time on lots of cars). I'm just not sure what a lawyer can do here

It would seem the recourse would be more the influence to bear on poor service ... report to local Better Business Bureau?

I would have TATE tow the car back and fix it. Since so many DCMM members have had poor service there ... hmm.

This is sad, sorry for you aggravation

Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
the steering knuckle pinch bolt isn't in place (I know, pretty obvious). Whether this was forgotten (yikes) not torqued properly (yikes) or what I don't know. I'd guess it was forgotten, as there are lots of threads and it would take forever to back out.

The rest of it isn't that bad. The whole strut assembly twists (it has to, it's fixed to the steering knuckle and that rotates when turning) so the tab on strut will line up with the slot and drop back in. The stock strut is a bit longer than aftermarket, so you may have to fight it a bit, but it will go back togehter.

The steering speed sensor not being in the strut may have happend as the strut moved up and down, it's not held there very tightly....

While this doesn't solve all your problems, have the hubby/boyfriend rotate the strut and pop it back into the steering knuckle. Don't drive, but at least the car can roll onto a flat bed or be towed. IF you're really worried about moving it, get the bolt from you (hopefully very sorry and apologetic) dealer and pop that in for the trip back to the dealer.

This was a very, very dangerous situation. While not many bumps could have knocked the strut out of the steering knuckle (I think you'd have to get airborn) it was possible for it to come out, with potentially disasterous results.

The fact that you caught it saves you and your loved ones some potentially life threatening injury, it also saved MiniUSA potentially hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars of liability. They out to thank you for finding it, fix everything with a loaner, and be kind to you for ever!

Hope it all works out, and I'm glad everyone is safe....

Matt
My husband tried to pop it back into the knuckle, but couldn't. Tate is going to have to come to house and do that before it's moved.

Originally Posted by chows4us
How did you drive it home that way???????

There was no accident or injury. They failed to perform their part of a contract to fix correctly what you paid for (which happens all the time on lots of cars). I'm just not sure what a lawyer can do here

It would seem the recourse would be more the influence to bear on poor service ... report to local Better Business Bureau?

I would have TATE tow the car back and fix it. Since so many DCMM members have had poor service there ... hmm.

This is sad, sorry for you aggravation
What's weird, Art is that driving it home (only 5 miles) and subequently to the store and back (about 2 miles total), I didn't feel anything. Thank heaven I didn't decide to just go for a drive!
I'm definitely calling the BBB. The regional service director for MINIUSA has been e-mailed with the photos. I may even call the TV stations because I'm sick and tired of Tate's poor service..and this lack of service was potentially dangerous, perhaps even fatal, in my case.
I don't know what legal recourse I have as there was no injury involved. There has to be something I can do to bring down the wrath of god on Tate.
If anyone who reads this has any suggestions, please PM me!
I'm going to be waiting for the "service" manager tomorrow morning when they open, to see what will be done.
I will keep you all posted.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Well I'd hate to be the Tech that worked on the car - I wonder if he'll still have a job on Tuesday.....

Old 02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Well I'd hate to be the Tech that worked on the car - I wonder if he'll still have a job on Tuesday.....
we shall see.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Katie - I'm mad right along with ya. I'm so sorry to hear about all this big mess!!! I'm just glad you weren't hurt....

Donna

Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about your woes Katie.. Best wishes in a favorable and speedy resolution.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What a sorry excuse for repairs, Katie... I'm glad nothing happened in the meantime and you found the problem before it caused big trouble. I can imagine the strut coming apart during an evasive maneuver on the highway (I am no stranger to those, given all the cellphone blabbering people not watching where they are going I encounter daily) with disasterous results. Keep us posted. Another reason why I am glad I didnt bother with Tate.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Not totally shocked when Sam replaced my engine he left two large suspension bolts loose.

Good luck Katie!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
PSYCMINI
2nd Gear
This is after paying them $2200 for work that was supposed to be done right the 1st time! I'm so mad, I could spit nails. Good thing I haven't driven the car much, but I did drive it some. I could've been in a serious accident because of their negligence!!

Right now, the car's in the driveway on jackstands cuz Paul couldn't get everything lined up to lock into place. Even if he did, there's no bolt to hold the assembly together. As it stands right now, it can't even be put on a flatbed, much less driven! :impatient :impatient :impatient :impatient
Heads, spefically Sam's ...the kid who "worked" on my car, are going to roll.
I'm also sending these images with a letter to MINIUSA.

That sucks, i really dont think a letter to MINI USA is going to help, quite a few New Yorkers including my self have expressed the total ignorance off our mini service center "Hassel Mini" my car i now out of warranty and i am having the same problems that they should have fixed several times over. The lack of knowledgeable sevice personnel is why i will never buy another Mini/BMW again.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
DME is a lawyer, if I recall correctly.

That is downright negligent and quite possibly criminal. Just another nail in Tate's coffin.

Marty

Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
big_davoc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Neglect? , Attempted manslaughter maybe ??? I am no lawyer but would not expect this to happen after I took my car in to be fixed.....

I am soooo glad I dont use Tate!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Thought I replied already, but can't find my post?

Oh well. Anyway, that's *really* BS!!! That goes above and beyond a standard 'oopsie'. I don't know the law, but there's gotta be some sorta criminal negligence law for something like that. I know in the military, you'd earn yourself some brig time for performing a repair job that poorly!

I'm glad that I'm moving closer to Towson soon (also turning a 45 mile commute to a 10 mile one!)... I like Tate's sales department, but service is getting downright scary!

-Paul!

Quick Reply: My car is broken...