DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

My car is broken...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul!
I'm glad that I'm moving closer to Towson soon

How far north are you coming? Up to my neck of the woods?

Old 02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Tate with pics this AM. I asked to see the Service Manager and Sam. I explained that my husband attempted to put my winter wheels on and this is what he found.
I tried to keep my voice from shaking as I told them that this is negligence, possibly criminal, and that the Regional Service Director had already been contacted. I told them that I was also going to write MINIUSA, the BBB, and the Consumer Protection Division of the State's Attorney General's office of MD.
The service manager looked at the pics, said "we'll fix it" and walked out. No apology...nothing. Very cavalier attitude in my book.
Soooo...they sent a flat bed and Sam to my house to get my car. Long story short, when Sam took of my left front wheel (he was putting on my winter wheels), the same bolt was missing on that side too. He freaked. He can't explain what happened. I think someone took them off the car after he finished working on it. It's the only thing I can think of.
The car's at Tate..again. We'll see what happens next. I'm still going to write MINIUSA and everyone else I mentioned. Hopefully something can come of it.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Someone at Tate might have hated Sam.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
I went to Tate with pics this AM. I asked to see the Service Manager and Sam. I explained that my husband attempted to put my winter wheels on and this is what he found.
I tried to keep my voice from shaking as I told them that this is negligence, possibly criminal, and that the Regional Service Director had already been contacted. I told them that I was also going to write MINIUSA, the BBB, and the Consumer Protection Division of the State's Attorney General's office of MD.
The service manager looked at the pics, said "we'll fix it" and walked out. No apology...nothing. Very cavalier attitude in my book.
Soooo...they sent a flat bed and Sam to my house to get my car. Long story short, when Sam took of my left front wheel (he was putting on my winter wheels), the same bolt was missing on that side too. He freaked. He can't explain what happened. I think someone took them off the car after he finished working on it. It's the only thing I can think of.
The car's at Tate..again. We'll see what happens next. I'm still going to write MINIUSA and everyone else I mentioned. Hopefully something can come of it.

or... maybe Sam wasn'r even the one who worked on it in the first place. Its not uncommon for "requested practicioners" to have their name put on work they didn't do. Surgeons even do it, having interns perform routine work and then the surgeon signs off on it. The dealership isn't going to turn a customer away when they ask for a specific tech even if that tech doesn't do the work.

Quality is seriously lacking in our "service economy"... very sorry it has landed in your lap, Katie! Keep after them.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That would explain the hit or miss quality at Tate - I've had windshield wipers replaced at 10k and they came flying off because they forgot to clamp down the little hooks that hold in the blade.

Perish the thought a JCW install (wait I had one of those done by them) or a suspension replacement.

I hope this gets resolved amicably - I do like the sales guys from Tate - but you have every right to be extremely p'od.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MartyR
DME is a lawyer, if I recall correctly.

That is downright negligent and quite possibly criminal. Just another nail in Tate's coffin.

Marty
DME?

Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
DME?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er.php?u=20008

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Arrogant even. Bill is not one to admit his dealership is the king of wrecking our Mini's in the area, but your case he couldn't refute.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Arrogant even. Bill is not one to admit his dealership is the king of wrecking our Mini's in the area, but your case he couldn't refute.
Bill? No...Tom, Tom Byrne.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Who's that? Does that mean that Bill ********* is gone?

And I'm not talking about Bill the SA. I thought the Service Manager's name was Bill... And Zane (or whatever his name was) was his assistant, and Caroline the sole SA.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Chances are he couldn't really say anything other than that for liability/legal reasons. It's like when you're in an accident, you never say anything along the lines of "sorry" because that could be interpreted as admitting fault.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Who's that? Does that mean that Bill ********* is gone?

And I'm not talking about Bill the SA. I thought the Service Manager's name was Bill... And Zane (or whatever his name was) was his assistant, and Caroline the sole SA.
Nope, not Bill. I have the guy's card. Zane is still assistant, and there's another SA, a boy named Jan.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Tom is the service manager...a Total a**. I'm sure you've met him...

Last edited by mdsbrain; 02-13-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Hrmm... In my lack of going to Tate, I must have forgotten some names... But Tom does sound very Service Managerish now...

Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are some service managers so, um, whatever?

One in Mt View tried to tell me that 30% error in computer mileage was "Within spec" and handed me a photo copy of BMWs speedo recalibration policy! I guess this job self-selects people who send customers away to reduce warranty claims (and repeat purchases!)

Actually, all these stories and the like are excellent examples why each and every one of you should cultivate a relationship with a non-dealer Mini shop. For non-warranty work, or aftermarket stuff, I think you will all find that you get more considerate help from a smaller shop.

I'm luke-warm on Mini of Mt View here in CA. Some here love them, so not. They haven't screwed the pooch like the guys at Tate did, but they only see me for recall work, or to buy a part in a pinch (and they did a Motering Hearts Event). Now that I'm out of warranty, it's pretty rare that I'm there.

Sorry, I don't know your area or the shops that are near by, but I'm sure there are some.

Matt

Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Lucky Dog Garage, a vendor on NAM and our local shop, is the go-to guy in Md. He's very supportive of DCMM, and some of our members use him on a regular basis.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Jen
6th Gear
My fear is that where does this leave someone like me - who might have work done on my MINI and never find these issues until it is too late because I don't autox, or have winter tires, or really know much about the underside of things!

Katie, glad you are OK and this was found.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
Katie, glad to hear that you are safe and no harm came to you. The pain does need to be brought to Tate though.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jen
My fear is that where does this leave someone like me - who might have work done on my MINI and never find these issues until it is too late because I don't autox, or have winter tires, or really know much about the underside of things!

Katie, glad you are OK and this was found.
I know, and this is what scares the youknowwhat out of me.
I have my car back, but because of road conditions, I din't "test" it. Sam did put it up in the air and showed us the replaced bolts. Turns out his impact driver wasn't working properly, so the bolts weren't torqued like they were supposed to be. So they just fell out?? Seems fishy to me, but I can't prove anything other that the initial loss of the bolt.
I will never go back to Tate again...ever.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluminiboy
The pain does need to be brought to Tate though.
Could we, by chance, use club funds to hire Chuck Liddel to wrap Tom into a MINI pretzel?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
ouch.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Katie ... use the numbers and addreses I sent you.

This is unbelievable.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
I know, and this is what scares the youknowwhat out of me.
I have my car back, but because of road conditions, I din't "test" it. Sam did put it up in the air and showed us the replaced bolts. Turns out his impact driver wasn't working properly, so the bolts weren't torqued like they were supposed to be. So they just fell out?? Seems fishy to me, but I can't prove anything other that the initial loss of the bolt.
I will never go back to Tate again...ever.
As excuses go, that sounds pretty lame... Lets see, pick up the car, maybe run a few errands, possibly put a couple of hundred miles on the car, and BOTH BOLTS VIBRATE OUT! I don't buy it! Its hard for people to say "I screwed up, I'm sorry" but it really would be a better starting point than, "My impact wrench isn't working".

If they really believe that to be the case, then they probably should recall all vehicles serviced with that wrench for a day or two preceding and following. Better to do a safety check on the all the work performed than to risk catastrophic failure do to an "broken wrench". Might save a life......

Old 02-13-2007, 03:41 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Katie ... use the numbers and addreses I sent you.

This is unbelievable.
Paul is putting additional touches on my letter as I type this. Beleive me, I intend to follow through.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:44 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FeedBack
As excuses go, that sounds pretty lame... Lets see, pick up the car, maybe run a few errands, possibly put a couple of hundred miles on the car, and BOTH BOLTS VIBRATE OUT! I don't buy it! Its hard for people to say "I screwed up, I'm sorry" but it really would be a better starting point than, "My impact wrench isn't working".

If they really believe that to be the case, then they probably should recall all vehicles serviced with that wrench for a day or two preceding and following. Better to do a safety check on the all the work performed than to risk catastrophic failure do to an "broken wrench". Might save a life......
a couple of hundred miles? More like 7 miles, with no huge bumps (I crawl across all speed bumps because my car's lowered). Sam is actually the only Tate staff member that said "sorry".

Quick Reply: My car is broken...